1. If you are having difficulty resetting your password in order to login to your account, please try again. There was a bug which is now fixed.
    Dismiss Notice

How high would you rank Ole among the legends of the club?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by The Azzurri, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 6, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

We forget about his hat trick after coming on as a sub. If Ole is not a Manchester United legend then I do not know who is. He may not be the best player we had and may not have scored the most number of goals or have the most appearances but what he has done for this club makes him a legend at Manchester United.
    If anyone thinks that all the class of 92 is more talented or better footballers than Ole then I do not understand what they are talking about.
    Yes Scholes is a better player and Giggs as a winger and maybe Beckham as a crosser of the ball and on free kicks but on any day when we need to score give me Ole above all of them.
  2. Jan 6, 2019

freddie the red New Member

This, plus winners against the Scouse and the Bavarians in 99.......LEGEND!
  3. Jan 6, 2019

championo Top Stalker

I rate him on equal footing as Scholes. I love them equally.
  4. Jan 6, 2019

Cockney Phil Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    The legends label is restrictive. We’ve had a lot of great players and Ole is one of them but for me Lou Macari and Martin Buchan had a greater impact when were in desperate times but they get little acknowledgement as legends.
  5. Jan 6, 2019

red4ever 79 Full Member

Supports:
    Red Devils
    Ah right, i take it you voted for Trump in the elections a couple of years ago.
  6. Jan 6, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

class of 92? You think Phil Neville and Nicky Butt are on the same level as Ole? He once came off the bench and scored 4 goals. He is 100% a club legend.
  7. Jan 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Decent was obviously a joke.

Name me another club legend who repeatedly told the club he wanted to leave, pined over Real Madrid, talked about supporting them as a young boy and then did everything within his power (as well as downing tools at the end of his last season) to ensure that he got his move there in the end.

Then tell me how that club legend went on to threaten Real Madrid with a return to United because he was upset other players were being paid more than he was, despite having no actual desire to come back.

Smashing example of what a United club legend isn't. We're not Stoke for sucks sake.

P.S. Ronaldo was dog shit for at least 2 seasons at United. Many thought he wouldn't make it.
  8. Jan 6, 2019

We need an rvn Full Member

I think this is where people get confused or have different opinions on what makes a club legend.

On paper, Ronaldo has to be a better club legend than Eric based on what we won as a club with him in the squad and also how he won games for us by himself more than Eric did. But I get that many people are put off by his antics, as Rooney's which is why he isn't as big a legend as he should be imo.

If your argument on a legend is that he was an amazing player, his love for United / Ferguson was huge, he lead the team and changed our ethos then you'd go for Cantona.

Personally I am a flip of the coin but all I'm trying to say is people think of a legend in different ways so it's hard to argue at times
  9. Jan 6, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    As long as you are happy my friend.
    In my view all of the class of 92 are above Ole.

If he was not our current manager I doubt he would be mentioned.
  10. Jan 6, 2019

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

It's almost impressive how consistently wrong you are.
  11. Jan 6, 2019

Halftrack Full Member

Absolute tosh. Go through any thread on here concerning United legends, and Ole will feature heavily.
  12. Jan 6, 2019

Eire Red United Full Member

He’s probably the most talented player ever to play for us bar George Best and one of the only ones to win Ballon Dor while playing for us and also led us to multiple league titles and a champions league being our main man, so I’d say he’s earned that legend title.
  13. Jan 6, 2019

Charlie Foley Full Member

:lol::lol:
  14. Jan 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Ronaldo was brilliant for us for about two seasons solid. The rest of the time he was finding his feet or sulking about not being able to leave. If we're basing his legend status based on goals scored, impact and ability to won games, there's probably no one better. However, United legends should bleed United in every way. Ronaldo left us and gave all his best years to Madrid without a second thought. The only time he used our name was to bargain himself with a new contract.

To call him a legend is a mockery to the likes of Scholes, Charlton and Giggs who love the club and would do anything for it, like most United fans.
  15. Jan 6, 2019

We need an rvn Full Member

I agree with pretty much all you're saying but I'm probably one of the few who don't class Cantona as a true legend as I don't see him much different than Ronaldo. They are both more a folklore hero's to me for us all who were blessed to see them play and love what they did in their short time but they weren't here long enough to be up there with the best.

Legends for me are players like Scholes / Law / Giggs / Charlton / Rooney / Best ...but I wouldn't put much of a fight up if someone said they class Keane over Cantona or Ronaldo etc
  16. Jan 6, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

Well 3rd on your list of club legends is George Best. I’m sure you are well aware of his behaviour and exit from the club. It would make ronaldo look like a saint.
  17. Jan 6, 2019

LingardsBoots Banned

He was a super sub for sure and knew how to finish (if only Rashford could finish eh)
    As regards being a legend, then nah that's not where I see him at all.
    He was a great player for us when on the pitch and is doing good as caretaker manager but a legend in the true meaning of the word, nah no way.
    And you only bestow legendary status when you have died.
  18. Jan 6, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

If you read it you would see that I said "In no particular order but as close as I could get". And Best was an alcoholic, it's not like he wanted to leave was it? The guy had issues.

If we're judging people on their mental illnesses or vices then you can forget Giggs, Rooney, Cantona and Evra.
  19. Jan 6, 2019

snk123 Full Member

So people rate Cantona who gave us 5 seasons over Paul Scholes, the best midfielder we've ever had. Great!

Also Ole is a legend! In the Rooney category.
  20. Jan 6, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

he's a wind up merchant.
  21. Jan 6, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

The order of your list doesn’t matter. The fact is George best is seen as a club legend (rightly so) but there are some who refuse to see ronaldo as one ( you being one) because he wanted to leave for Madrid. The “mental illness” argument is a pathetic one, personally I would call it weakness and self affliction and that’s from someone who has family members who’s lives have been destroyed by alcoholism. Ronaldo wanted to leave and what happened when he wasn’t allowed? As I recall he shut his gob, rolled his sleeves up and gave us one last great season. George best failed to make numerous training sessions, a game and left us in the shit and later relegated. And yet his behaviour is largely forgotten or at least takes a back seat to his once great talent by people who weren’t even alive to watch him where as ronaldo and Rooney seem to not have that luxury and people can’t move beyond ronaldos departure and Rooney’s transfer request. Again best, ronaldo, Rooney are all club legends in my eyes.
  22. Jan 6, 2019

VesRiddle New Member

Actually, hes is there. And that's just a list of top apps/goals.
  23. Jan 6, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

I have seen Best play and George Best on one leg will do more than most players on both legs. George's problem came not only from his drinking but relying on George Best every day to pull United out of trouble. Once Sir Matt left there was no one who can take care of George. It is again the old man management thing.
    Yes he was an alcoholic but a good manager would have handled this issue in a different way. Bestie played over 470 odd games for United and scored over 149 goals for United. No mean feat playing as a winger.
  24. Jan 6, 2019

RMD83 Full Member

My dad says exactly the same. He says he’s the best player he has ever seen and if only he was more mentally stable he would have achieved even more. As an elder statesman what is your opinion on how he is remembered now in death? Because my old man says the negativity that surrounded him was far more than current ex players like ronaldo and Rooney at the time, but in time everyone chose to put that to the back of their minds and focus more on the best side of him. I guess in a way that time is a healer and on reflection we all prefer to remember the best times ( no pun intended)
  25. Jan 6, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Stop the World, I want to get off
  26. Jan 6, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

Mental note to self, wait until club legend OGS has died, and revisit
  27. Jan 6, 2019

Wishe Full Member

I don't really agree with people arguing about legendary status based only on player performances on the pitch. For me legends are made by the footprint they leave with the club, how they conducted themselves, loyalty and the impact they had on the club in the era that they played in. A good example is Cantona. The impact he had when he was here far exceeds anything players like Ruud Van Nistelrooy had on the club.

Solskjær embodied Manchester United and stayed loyal through all the years he spent at the club, he's love for the club seems to be at the same level as any United fan. He also let me experience the greatest moment ever watching United. My opinion may be biased because I am norwegian, but there is a reason he had one of the best testimonials I have seen at Old Trafford and the 2OLEGEND banner stayed at Old Trafford for years after he stopped playing for us. I would never place Christiano Ronaldo above him, Ronaldo ran off to Madrid and does not give a shit about Manchester United, although he has been using us in the media ever since he left just to get bigger contracts at Madrid. That is not a legend.
  28. Jan 6, 2019

Moorie86 New Member

Legend for me, a type of player you don’t see or will ever have again in modern football

Knew he’d never be first choice to play every game but accepted that and when he did come gave a 100%. Always had a smile on his face, turned down moves to clubs that where he would have been the first name on the team sheet, was never involved in any scandals or had any bad press to his name and scored one of the most famous goals in the clubs history.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  29. Jan 7, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Many a times George would score off the field and come back and score on the field. He was a rascal in some ways but such a likeable chap that when he scores on the pitch people forgive him. Even when he is out on a night a lot of times, he will tip the taxi drivers a fiver and it was a lot of money during those days.

His issue was that he had a lot of personal problems and in those days there was no way a club can look after the players.
    People now a days remember Giggs flying down on the wing. Let me tell you that George on one leg is better than Giggs on two legs. It does not bother him where he played. Left or right or centre. He was brilliant. George came out of retirement to play in a WC qualifier against Netherlands and Cruijff. He nutmegged Cruijff. They drew 2-2 and though he did not score the Dutch had two men marking him and it took a brilliant effort by the Dutch keeper to stop George from scoring. This was the Dutch at their peak in 1976.
  30. Jan 7, 2019

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

Legends, cult heroes, loyal club servants and brilliant players.

You probably want to agree a definition and then see who fits into which category.

Examples might be...

Bobby Charlton, Nobby Stiles, Bill Foulkes and Dennis Viollet or...

Bryan Robson, Mark, Hughes, Mike Duxbury, Paul McGrath

Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Nicky Butt, Andrei Kanchelskis

Paul Scholes, John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick

You could easily argue with my examples and some players may fall into more than one category...but until you agree a definition I think most players are up for grabs.
  31. Jan 7, 2019

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

So Ferguson isn't a legend for the club?

Being dead or alive, or the skill of the player, isn't what make them legends, it's what they do for the club.
  32. Jan 7, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Very much so. Sir Alex Ferguson is in a league of his own as a Manchester United legend; although of course we must add Sir Matt Busby to that.

We could argue all night about the definition of a club legend.
    Mine is very simple.
    Who do you first think of when you say Manchester United...
  33. Jan 7, 2019

Robbo's Shoulder Full Member

Supports:
    United and Barrow AFC
    The guy scored a last second winner in a European Cup final. Of course he's a legend using any criteria.
  34. Jan 7, 2019

rollingstoned1 Full Member

Yes ole very much belongs in the pantheon of legends for me a level or 2 below the greatest ones we have ever had like Ferguson, busby, Charlton, law, best, edwards, Cantona, etc. Probably somewhere along with rio, evra, irwin, vidic, Bruce, pallister, Rooney, etc. Just being a world class player for us isn't enough to get on this list, the criteria is a little abstruse which does not allow the likes of rvn , ronaldo, stam to be considered as such for us.
  35. Jan 7, 2019

JarleA Full Member

Don't really know about ranking etc, as I'm to young to have experienced most of the club legends, thus skewing any list I'd make. But Ole is definitely up there. Somewhere. And he might just move up a bit if the first five games is a foreshadowing of things to come over the next five months.
  36. Jan 7, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Eric Cantona has been championed as revolutionizing Manchester United and the way we took our practice as a club and instilled a winning culture. I love scholesy and he is a legend in his own right, but Cantona was something else. What he offered as an individual beyond pitch is something very few can match. Roy Keane is probably the last great Manchester United player to influence teams in the way Cantona did.
  37. Jan 7, 2019

Volumiza New Member

OGS is absolutey and 100% a legend of this club simply because he was the scorer of a legendary goal in a legendary match winning us a legendary title in a legendary season.

Legendary status is simply achieved by being something or someone that goes down in folklore and remains a talking point for generations. There are so many legendary players, matches and moments surrounding this club. We are very lucky.
  38. Jan 7, 2019

RG 11 Full Member

On pure ability or consistent impact it's easy to overlook him as a United legend.

But he has always been the one to lift the spirits of the crowd and lives and breathes Manchester United. Fergie tried to sell him but he stayed on and fought for a place at the club. Got two of the biggest goals in 99 to win us the treble. After he came back from his long injury and scored the goal, the first thing he did was bow to the crowd.

He's the kind of player you want at your club and why you fall in love with football.

39. Jan 7, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Bit of a cult hero the babyfaced assassin was. He left us as a legend. Came back as one
  40. Jan 7, 2019

JarleA Full Member

Also, is he the least polarizing player we've had? People might discuss hos legacy, but I'm yet to read anything negative about him as a player or person.