How high would you rank Ole among the legends of the club?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by The Azzurri, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Oh yeah of course Keane is a massive legend of the club, but we have had so many that there would be a huge list.

I just think the one’s I mentioned are higher on the list. Giggs, Scholes, G.Neville are all above Keane as well.
  2. Jan 7, 2019

kkengvib New Member

A fan favorite
  3. Jan 7, 2019

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Exactly.
    Any player who scores the winning goal in the European Cup final deserves to be a legend in my opinion, regardless whether they play for our club or not.
  4. Jan 7, 2019

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn Scout

Cantona, Charlton, Best, Law - yes. But I can't for the life of me see why Giggs can ever be rated higher than Ole.
  5. Jan 7, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Why would you rate Neville or Scholes above Keane? Keane has got us through many games on his sheer will power and personality.
  6. Jan 7, 2019

Reiver Full Member

I think he'd be right up there. He scored - arguably - the most important goal for the club in recent history. That, combined with his goal scoring and the level of affection for him absolutely make him a legend. I'd put him in the top 10 players I've seen play for the club.
  7. Jan 7, 2019

KingOle New Member

Supports:
    Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    Everywhere I go around the world, from Norway to Thailand, I always meet someone who says "aah Solskkjaaar" when I say I'm Norwegian. He is a bloody legend!
  8. Jan 8, 2019

BULB New Member

He really wasn't as good as some people are making out in this thread...
  9. Jan 8, 2019

Volumiza New Member

I wish we had an Ole now. A striker who knows where the back of the net is, sits on the bench uncomplainingly and has a tendency to score big goals in big games is a priceless commodity. No, he wasn't world class but he was an absolute diamond who contributed enormously over his career here and put the full stop on an incredible year for this club.
  10. Jan 8, 2019

Volumiza New Member

I don't think Ronaldo is a club legend at all. He once had a legendary season for us, 40 goals is not to be sniffed at, and gave us some excitement over his time here but Ronaldo is Ronaldo's legend, not Utd's.

Keane is 100% a Utd legend, he had the badge running through him like a stick of rock and was the embodiment of the manager and the pillar of the team during its most successful era.

Cantona is also a legend, the cherry on the trifle and transformed us into winners and his swagger bled into the rest of the team.
  11. Jan 8, 2019

9 Stone Elvis Full Member

Ole is a legend depending on how you define legend really. As a footballer certainly not, an unexpected success and very decent but not in the top tier ability wise. However, he was loyal, clearly loved the club and carved out a role for himself. It has to be said though, if you score a winning goal in a European Cup final injury time your legendary status is certainly secured!

One thing I will say though is I feel too much is made of him rejecting Spurs as a sign of loyalty. Its not like he was told he would never play for us. He was basically given the choice of playing 25 games a season for us and a shot at winning everything or going to a fairly meh Spurs side as their main striker and probably winning nothing....Not sure its the toughie that some make it out to be!!
  12. Jan 8, 2019

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    Interesting question that. The only other ones I can think of that compare to Ole in that regard are Irwin, Robbo and VDS. I've rarely ever heard a bad word uttered against any of them from a Utd supporter. Also, weirdly enough given that he's only a tiny footnote in our history, every supporter of a certain age with a good enough memory seems to remember Raimond van der Gouw quite fondly.
  13. Jan 11, 2019

The Brown Bull Full Member

Hear hear! George was unique, the most gifted footballer I have seen.
  14. Jan 11, 2019

M Utd Full Member

I think there were even some games he was keeping Beckham out of the team. Some of that may have been Fergie knowing Becks was heading out the door but he certainly did well when asked to play out wide. He was certainly more than just a poacher in the box.
  15. Jan 11, 2019

M Utd Full Member

Fingers crossed he's not done by a long way. It's interesting that a good run as manager (interim or permanent) could well changes peoples opinions on his playing time.
    I'd love his playing time to be a footnote on his impact on the club but that's perhaps asking too much for his managing career. Short time I'm enjoying the ride. It's been a long time since I've been this excited to watch Utd again.
  16. Jan 12, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

To me he is a legend not only because he scored " that goal" but also because he put the club in front of his personal glory. I have seen repeatedly the red card and he is not the most closest to Lee when Ole started his run. But he was the one who made that decision the quickest and started his run and commit that foul. I am sure he would have decided to bring him down before he reached him as he did not do anything to play the ball. He knew it was a red card long before he brought him down.
    That itself with his time at the club and the goals scored makes him a legend. A legend much more than players like Neville, Beckham or even Scholes in my opinion.
  17. Jan 13, 2019

Eric's Seagull Full Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion which I 100% respect but I seriously disagree with the quote above. I personally am of the opinion that anybody who scores the goal that wins the European Cup final for whichever club should be rightfully high up their list of legends.
  18. Jan 13, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    I seem to be in a minority of one so I bow to those who believe that Ole is a highly ranked club legend.
  19. Jan 13, 2019

norm87cro New Member

Honestly? Legend just because of the winning goal. You don't score for the winner in that fashion and not become a legend.
  20. Jan 13, 2019

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

Giggs, Scholes and maybe G.Neville would rank above him, Butt and P. Neville wouldn't.