How much should Fergies opinion count towards Moyes successor?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by redtilldead123, Apr 22, 2014.

?

How much should Fergies opinion count towards Moyes successor?

1. He should have the final say on the next manager

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. He should be closely consulted and be given some influence over the decision

21 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. His advice should be seen as important but his advice should be seen objectively

106 vote(s)
    57.3%
  4. His previous advice set the club back some way so his influence should be minimal

23 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. His advice should be completely disregarded

30 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Apr 22, 2014

redtilldead123 Banned

How much do you feel Fergie should be listened to with regard to David Moyes successor?

Select the answer which most closely resembles your own feelings on the matter.
  2. Apr 22, 2014

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I think he should be asked his opinion. Of course

I went for this

His advice should be seen as important but his advice should be seen objectively
  3. Apr 22, 2014

Varun Moderator

It'd be daft to not take advice from the great man. But his opinion should be 1 of the many factors we consider. Nothing more, nothing less.
  4. Apr 22, 2014

scorgasm Full Member

He should be involved. Should not be given full control as he was with Moyes.
  5. Apr 22, 2014

Plugsy Banned

This idea he "chose" Moyes is bollocks.

All those years Gill confirmed that succession meetings had taken place, do we think all they did was sit around the table and say

"Right lads, meeting opened. Item 1: next manager. I think we should just ask Sir Alex at the time. Meeting adjourned"

Of course not. Moyes was the choice of the CLUB but for very, very obvious reasons it was seen as important to give him Fergie's 'seal of approval'. Fergie is the most knowledgeable football man around and he had influence and a say over the last appointment and he'll have influence and a say over the next one and I can't begin to tell you how little problem I have with that.
  6. Apr 22, 2014

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Don't even ask him in my opinion.
  7. Apr 22, 2014

Zak Smith Banned

I never knew that we delayed Moyes starting the job, which obviously could have impacted our transfer business, to avoid paying compensation to Everton. Sums the glazers up.

Fergie is the least of our worries.
  8. Apr 22, 2014

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

Christ on a bike, does this really have to be a poll?
  9. Apr 22, 2014

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

fecking hell that's a tough one.

He was idealistic in his selection last time and got it horribly wrong but this is a guy that still knows his apples from his oranges and if the Board set a specification and draw up a short list I'd still trust his opinion and intuition on who he feels would be best to recover the situation and take us back to the top.
  10. Apr 22, 2014

Godfather Full Member

Not a fan of ex managers having a say in who should replace them at all. Don't think he will do it this time anyway.
  11. Apr 22, 2014

rimaldo Seriously friggin' hot

i'll add that as an option.
  12. Apr 22, 2014

rednev There is non worthy of worship except God

He should keep his nose out.
  13. Apr 22, 2014

That'sHernandez Ominously close to getting banned

Cheers rimmy
  14. Apr 22, 2014

fergieisold Full Member

Let Moyes pick, he did a good job with his last recommendation!
  15. Apr 22, 2014

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think it's important that SAF isn't seen as having handpicked this guy too, no more of that Chosen One bollocks.

He should obviously still be listened too though, he's SAF after all. Just be wary if he starts recommending his friends or Scotsmen.
  16. Apr 22, 2014

Kayo Full Member

Outside Lou Macari's with a can of strongbow.
    Unless you want Paul Lambert or Alex Mcleish then none.
  17. Apr 22, 2014

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

It really doesn't given that the spectrum of possible answers is far more complicated than the options given and it's better debated than anything. I'm starting to see why pool privalidges were limited on redcafe 1.0
  18. Apr 22, 2014

RuudTom83 Full Member

United have very few football men behind the scenes these days. The staff is made up of Glazer family members and ex players...so SAF should definitely be asked for his input.

But i do feel, if the way forward at Untied is to change managers that fail to qualify for CL then a Director of football or some other body needs to be in place to keep some consistency.

What now happens to all the players United were negotiating with for the summer?
  19. Apr 22, 2014

Plugsy Banned

On the subject of a Director of Football, why let one incompetent manager have a legacy of completely reorganising how the club has worked perfectly well for 20 years?
  20. Apr 22, 2014

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Fergie should have a voice in this still but he did get Moyes completely wrong
  21. Apr 22, 2014

Empire Full Member

His advice should be disregarded because he has his powers of persuasion. If he doesn't want somebody he will convince the board his subjective opinions are somehow objective facts.

It's like looking into the eyes of medusa or getting hit by one of cupid's arrows, you're better off just not doing it.

Louis van Gaal, he is too arrogant for Ferguson but he will bring us futbol total! Mourinho will be needlessly defensive and Guardiola will make us do too many unnecessary passes. They are better managers however futbol total is made for United.

22. Apr 22, 2014

Revan Full Member

If I was the owner, I wouldn't ask him at all. Harsh to say, but his last managerial choice was actually one of the worst in the history of football, so no point going with the same strategy. I also don't think that he would be confident on making a call right now after Moyes debacle.

So, final option.
  23. Apr 22, 2014

Revan Full Member

Gill said only a few months before Moyes hapened that the next United manager will have experience on both England and European football. Moyes didn't had on the later. I guess it was totally a SAF' choice.
  24. Apr 22, 2014

MJJ Full Member City Lover

This.

If SAF even remotely suggests anyone scottish or british his opinion should be laughed at.
  25. Apr 22, 2014

Borys Full Member

It became evident in the last few years of Fergie regime that a lot of his decisions were affected by sentiments etc. He just couldn’t let go the old guard, he also wanted timid person instead of strong personality and that, in my opinion, was a mistake we don’t want to make once again. Ferguson role should be limited as much as possible.
  26. Apr 22, 2014

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    I think its a bit ridiculous to believe that the board just let SAF take the decision on his own. My guess is his advice weighed heavily but that the other board members also agreed that Moyes was a sound choice and that there was a healthy debate where other candidates were considered. SAF has strong opinions and character but hes not the manager. He doesnt own the club. Hes merely one of several board members.

Its equally ridiculous to claim that the Glazers are at fault. I really dont think they would have chosen Moyes if it werent based on heavy support from the board.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. SAF made good arguments in front of the board in favor of Moyes, and the board came to the conclusion that Moyes was the best choice. Then the Glazers listened to the board and approved of their choice.
  27. Apr 22, 2014

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Moyes did have experience in European football so technically Gill was not lying.
  28. Apr 22, 2014

iSparky Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

I wouldn't even ask him to be honest, surely the club is capable of identifying who we should be looking at next. The fans can identify key targets without consulting Fergie so I would prefer to see the club stand strong and make the decision themselves this time.
  29. Apr 22, 2014

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I'd say don't ask him.

Moyes was Ferguson's man. That experiment failed horribly. We should respect SAF for all he's done but move on. That chapter is a closed book for United.
  30. Apr 22, 2014

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

His opinion needs to be taken. Anyone can make a mistake and SAF made a mistake with Moyes. Busby for example failed by recommending McGuinness and O'Farrell. Doesn't mean that we should've disregarded him completely and thankfully we didn't

SAF still knows a heck of a lot about football than anyone else in the club. He signed a lot of duff players, doesn't mean he shouldn't have been making signings.

However, SAF shouldn't be the only one making the decision like he did with Moyes. We must follow a proper review and interview process and make sure we get the right man. His opinion should count though.
  31. Apr 22, 2014

Dwazza Coke is it!

Big fat zero.
  32. Apr 22, 2014

iSparky Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad

At most, give him a list of names from the club and ask what he thinks. Take his opinion objectively and then make a decision within the club at the right level on who to go for.
  33. Apr 22, 2014

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Option 3 is clearly the best.

We should go through a proper process this time and whilst the opinion of a football legend like SAF should be considered it need not be followed. I would assume that the best way to go about this is to actually sit down and meet all the prospective candidates. And even if it's someone unproven (ala pochettino) whos vision and ideas impress the board the most, then so be it. But the process is important IMO.
  34. Apr 22, 2014

Siorac Full Member

Manchester United Board unanimously approves the recommendation of Sir Alex Ferguson

This was the very first line of the statement that announced Moyes' appointment. Fergie recommended Moyes, the board accepted.
  35. Apr 22, 2014

AngeloHenriquez Full Member

Supports:
    Stevenage
    What qualifies a manager to recognise potential in other managers? If he was a connoisseur of Managers perhaps, if he was a manager scout, he isn't.. His expertise is in MANAGING A TEAM, not picking a manager.
  36. Apr 22, 2014

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Such polls' votes need to be public. Want to see names of those great 15 minds who think Fergie's advise should be completely disregarded.
  37. Apr 22, 2014

Kag Full Member

His advice would be welcome, obviously.
  38. Apr 22, 2014

Dwazza Coke is it!

I'm one, what of it?
  39. Apr 22, 2014

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

So I take it that you mean Fergie has lost his football judgement and senses completely?
  40. Apr 22, 2014

Enigma_87 You know who

Completely disregarded.

Sven, O'Neill, Moyes .... It's getting worse.

I'm #2.

His judgement of a successor was never there at first place.