How much time does Solskjaer really have?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Subho611, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2019

Subho611 New Member

In multiple threads, I have seen posters expressing the view that Solskjaer has until the end of the season to prove that he is up for the job. I disagree with that assessment, simply because we are not going to leave it open for so long and risk being in a tough spot during the summer.

In my opinion, two things need to happen for Solskjaer to get the job permanently. First, our top choices to replace Jose have to reject us or delay things well into the new year. Second, Solskjaer needs to give a good account of himself, both with results on the pitch, as well as his behavior and footballing acumen off it.

Either way, this is definitely not going to stretch till the summer. We will have a deal in place within the next 1 month for sure - whether it is Solskjaer or someone else - and will announce it when the season ends.

Do you feel he has more than a month?

Edit: Thanks @Samid for spotting the typos.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Jan 12, 2019

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

I think we'll have a pretty good idea by March/April whether or not he's a viable option.
  3. Jan 12, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Do we need another OGS thread? How many is too many?
  4. Jan 12, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

At least learn to spell his name ffs.
  5. Jan 12, 2019

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Its a good point - will they agree something with someone before the end of the year

I don't think it applies in this situation though.

If you think about the main candidates, Zidane isn't rushing to go back and manage any club, Poch won't either unless Madrid start upping the pressure but either way he will see the season out

Jardim basically has Monaco relegated so he won't be in high demand and who cares if we miss out really

I don't think its a ery time sensitive situation unless Madrid start making moves for Poch
  6. Jan 12, 2019

MC89 New Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    Depends on how well he does.....

Doesn’t finish top 6...... bye ole

6-5....... didn’t really change anything that where Jose was, that’s where we expected to finish

Top 4....... well done, better than expected jobs yours if you want it

Wins league..... I know too far

Who’s to say a cup win wouldn’t be enough tho?
  7. Jan 12, 2019

Reiver Full Member

Think it all comes down to how we do against the top six and in the Champions League.
    Also whether some of the players like him enough to sign new contracts.
  8. Jan 12, 2019

Trizy New Member

Leave Jardim aloneeeee.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/11/monaco-leonardo-jardim-manager-ligue-1
  9. Jan 12, 2019

Trophy Room Full Member

Pochettino hasn't got any chance then. :lol: It'll come down to much more than just results.
  10. Jan 12, 2019

Reiver Full Member

Fair point. What else do you think?
  11. Jan 12, 2019

Tarrou Full Member

I think he's done enough already to be given a few months to prove himself
  12. Jan 12, 2019

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

:lol::lol: This
  13. Jan 12, 2019

Trophy Room Full Member

I think it'll come down to whether or not Ole and his coaching team can re-establish the United identity. This'll include bringing back the excitement, style of play, results, popular opinion, staff feedback, Ole's influence on club matters that we as fans aren't privy to and Fergie.
  14. Jan 13, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

We are bound to lose games. It also depends on how we lose those games. If he wins all that is expected and if we lose with honour and dignity and the team plays in the right way he has all the chance in the world.
    One thing I worry about him and it is only from the newspapers that I heard that, he was trying to bring Josh King. Also at Cardiff he bought some Norwegian players and they were not able to make it. Yes 6 months may not be enough to get established and get familiar with a foreign league to those players.
  15. Jan 13, 2019

CM10 Full Member

I think we'll have a good idea of how good he is by the end of March. By that time we'll have a much bigger sample size of matches to judge him on, and with that we'll see how well he manages the squad and how he copes in the big games. I think that tricky period where we have PSG, Liverpool, Arsenal and City in close succession will be particularly telling.
  16. Jan 13, 2019

Carl S Bridge New Member

Signing de gea and martial to long term contracts may wellwdetermine his future. If he does that it will give him a spring board towards the job and even if he does not get the job will further cement his place as a legend
  17. Jan 13, 2019

foolsgold Full Member

If he can win a set piece game which we're not expecting, i.e City, Liverpool or PSG and the players want him to stay then get rid of him will be a bigger risk than keeping him

Why change something that's working?
  18. Jan 13, 2019

JMack1234 Full Member

After the fixtures in March and April we'll know if he's the guy or not. Until then just sit back and enjoy.
  19. Jan 13, 2019

Pfmpd New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    How much time does ole have?

It ends at his first defeat. Then the poch thread will light up.
  20. Jan 13, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

He needs to win the home games against the big teams. And all the games against the smaller teams.
  21. Jan 13, 2019

Mr Smith Full Member

For me, there are three essential criteria from where we are now:

1. Pochettino has to be either unattainable or not interested. We need to be clear on Poch's situation before we do anything else.

2. Solskjaer needs to show himself to be tactically capable. I want to see good performances in big games against tough opponents, that demonstrate Solskjaer knows how to identify and exploit weaknesses in top opposition, as well as guard against their strengths. I'm not saying we need to win all our games against the top 6 and in the CL, but he needs to show himself to be capable of holding his own in these games. If he doesn't demonstrate that within the next 2-3 months, then I'm not interested.

3. Achieve measurable success over the remainder of the season. Whether this be achieving top 4, getting to/winning the FA cup final, or getting to the semi-finals of the Champions League, I want to see him achieve something that exceeds the expectations set when he was brought in as interim. If all he does is stabilise the club and get the feel-good factor back, it's not sufficient, because that's literally the job of an interim manager, not a permanent one.

I have one other wish that's less of a criteria, but would be a huge plus in Ole's column if it happens. I want to see us bounce back from a setback that occurred under his leadership. For example, we crash out of the CL after a poor performance, or get a proper dicking from one of our rivals. I want to see him bounce back from a set-back, show resilience and perform under pressure.

If the above occur, I'd be happy to see Ole be given a permanent (maybe 2-year) contract.
  22. Jan 13, 2019

AgentP Full Member

This. If De Gea, Martial and Herrera sign new contracts and we start behaving like a big team and not like an underdog when we play against tough teams, then the board will be convinced.
  23. Jan 13, 2019

Class of 63 Full Member

We'll know in the next 77 days as the 2019 Eliteserian starts on the 31st of March. Hope that helps
  24. Jan 13, 2019

POF Full Member

I do agree that United won't sit on their hands until the summer but I think they will agree deals with a few candidates and then decide towards the end of the season when they're ready. It's how they tend to operate with players in recent transfer windows too.

Ole definitely has time to earn the job.
  25. Jan 13, 2019

DBT85 Full Member

No guarantee we'll know anything by then.
  26. Jan 13, 2019

red woppit Full Member

I posted this on another thread on Friday, although I see the FA cup quarter finals are to be played on 16th March weekend.

By 16th of March we will surely know whether Ole will be up to the task, or not. That is the day we are due to play City at home. Prior to that we have matches against Spurs away, Arsenal away twice, Leicester away, PSG twice, Liverpool home, Palace away, plus other games that on paper we should win comfortably. I think the final decision may be made that day.
  27. Jan 13, 2019

Cockney Phil Full Member

As I understand it, they can’t officially approach alternative managers in situ until the end of the season.

If the board are prepared to consider Ole as a viable candidate, his window of opportunity will be based on the games like Spurs today. If he can motivate the squad and out-play the opponents and collect victories against the Scouses and the Groaners et al he will be in a strong position. If he suffers setbacks but responds accordingly that will also strengthen his hand.

For overall time, he will probably have until April at the latest with the Chelski game. Being given the job in April would represent a reasonable lead time for next season and the summer tour, which also points to a final decision for all candidates around the time of the FA Cup final.
  28. Jan 13, 2019

DBT85 Full Member

Everyone talks to everyone It's just how far they take it before the other club get narked. You don't plan a splurge unless you have some inkling the player or manager would be interested.

I'm not judging Ole on if we win today, rather how we play. Poch hardly has a great top 6 record himself.
  29. Jan 13, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

I think it is down to how well he does now. I think levy will make it almost impossible for us to get Poch on board, so Ole will come into the picture IF he does well.

The only thing that I am worried about is that atm his hands are tied regarding transfers and this is not giving him a fair chance, IMO.
    Adding a few players this window would give us a great chance of a top 4 finish.

We all know we need improvement in the backline with a CB or 2 needed most. I would also like to see a top goalscoring RW coming. From what we hear this will not happen in this window which I feel don't give Ole a fair chance to prove himself. With the addition of a top CB and a winger we would have a much better chance of going well in Champions League, FA cup, and get into top 4.
  30. Jan 13, 2019

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

If we lose to Spurs today, some people will freak. Some people will see it for what it is. For me it's not so much time. We will lose games and I don't think finishing top 4 is a must though you'd think we've a chance and would take a big collapse. The job is Oles to lose because he's manager. What we do from now on time will tell but I don't think he will over complicate it. Everything he's done to date has been positive. We'll know more once we lose but he had the best teacher in regards of how to react.
  31. Jan 13, 2019

Rampant-red New Member

Yes I was thinking the same
  32. Jan 13, 2019

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  33. Jan 13, 2019

M Utd Full Member

I think he's bought himself time by coming in as an interim manager. Had he said full time or not at all he wouldn't have come through the door.

I agree things take time to process and I think a number of factors apply.
    Firstly are we appointing a DOF. If yes then possibly this add extra time as they may be tasked with recruitment. Of course if they answer is no then time frames move.
    With or without a DOF I think the manager for next season will want to have some input into future transfers.
    If we have a good run in any cup then this may buy him more time alternatively the reverse could be true. The same could be equally true if our other targets do or don't do so well this season.
    Lots of if's and but's but that's the situation.