How the Manchester United academy returned to the top - Samuel Luckhurst

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by deafepl, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 8, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Link here if you want to read the article.

Credit Ed Woodward for his brilliant work as he played an important role in overhauling academy and scouting network.

United Youth has been repressed for many years until 2016 when Ed Woodward instigated a huge overhaul of the club’s scouting operation that was set up by Sir Alex Ferguson in the 90s and 50 staff new recruits have been brought.

Now it is paid off, United the U18 is a lot stronger, much improved and playing really fantastic football. Hopefully, the U23s would be improved with many kids from the U18s to play in the U23s but they are not ready for it and Kieran McKenna said himself he doesn't want to rush them to the U23s even if they are enough good for the U18s.

I am really glad we have made a lot of progressive last two years, I have also seen an improvement in scouting network for senior United team after Ed Woodward overhauled club’s scouting system that transforming Sir Alex Ferguson’s network into a modern network, thanks to Moye for recognizing there was no accessible database of potential players when he took over from Ferguson. There is still room for improvement as United is not finished product yet.

it shows that United owner cares about us, not because of the money and they want us to return to the top. We are a footballing club, not seen as a commercial moneymaker for the owner to milk us, unlike what LVG said when comparing United to Bayern, which you know is not true at all.
  2. Mar 8, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Got no opinion on the Glazers, but we got a world class club head in Ed. He cares.:cool:
  3. Mar 8, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I'll read the article when I'm home but it's good to hear if true. There was an inescapable feeling that we'd let our youth and scouting systems slide towards the end of Fergie's rein and, with moneybags City aiming to establish themselves as world class in these areas, it's good that we're showing we also aim to be at least competitive.
  4. Mar 8, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

What? Total lies!

Last week, we had fallen behind all the rest after a loss to Arsenal,now we're back on top?Not having it, we're rubbish end of! ;)
  5. Mar 8, 2018

Red_Beans Full Member

I really do not care how many games the youth teams win/lose. Or how many millions more city/chelsea/who ever have spent on their academy than us. The litmus test of a youth academy is how many graduates go on to make an impact in the first team. And in that regard all the top UK teams are miles behind us
  6. Mar 8, 2018

red_devil83 Banned

Yes I thought we had the worst academy in the league last week!?
  7. Mar 8, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

A week is a long time in football it seems.

We'll soon plummet down the ladder to where the media would like us to be
  8. Mar 8, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

We improved our academy in 168 hours. Ed is indeed a miracle worker.
  9. Mar 8, 2018

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

Well that was a quick turnaround.
  10. Mar 8, 2018

ghagua Full Member

The academy does look on track with Butt in charge. Seems like they have a vision and a plan on how to compete with other top clubs.
  11. Mar 8, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Signing McKenna was a coup - just wish I could feel the same about Sbragia. I really do think with a different manager the U23s could be doing much better.
  12. Mar 8, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Luckhurst seemed surprised that ‘one parent thought League One Rochdale offered a better path to first team football’. Well of course they do!
  13. Mar 8, 2018

TMDaines Full Member

The biggest criticism of our failing academy a few years ago seemed to be not doing enough to woo ex-players to have their sons join our academy. A lot of journalists were too naive to see through the PR and marketing function of what City's high profile recruitment was.
  14. Mar 8, 2018

deafepl Full Member

I wish Mourinho could play United tradition way as McKenna proved that he could be playing the United tradition of playing with great width, attack-minded football. Mckenna has admired United's tradition footballing way and youth academies policy and really big fan of United. Hopefully, McKenna can become more successful before we can take him on to manage senior, McKenna needs to prove himself and gain experience somewhere as of now. Promoting Mckenna to United senior from the U18s is a big risk if Jose left, this is something we can't afford when we are rebuilding.
  15. Mar 8, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Agreed. It’s a weird article. League position is a crappy barometer of how good an Academy is and that seems to be the main basis for the article.
  16. Mar 8, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Just read the article. I must admit I find the headline misleading, in that we don't have a sufficiently demonstrative barometer showing our academy having not just improved, not just come through a difficult period, but returned to 'the top'. I think as things stand we can't claim to be at the very summit of youth football but there are sure signs of improvement from the time we had the club sec. filling what should be a key role at a top football club. That quibble with whoever came up with that headline aside I'm excited to read of the improvements that have taken place and for the futures of some of the current youth crop.
  17. Mar 8, 2018

Xcited Full Member

The article does say this only occurred in 2016.

Perhaps the benefits have yet to be reaped lads. Your right it hasn't been great yet. But this is a long term change and not one that can be assessed completly already.
  18. Mar 8, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

The article also focuses on us getting a new coach and improved player recruitment.
  19. Mar 8, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Luckhurst is a buffoon.
  20. Mar 8, 2018

Mr H Full Member

So what is it? I'm really lost, is our academy shit or the best in the country?
  21. Mar 8, 2018

SirAF Ageist

U18s are very good, U23s are shit.
  22. Mar 8, 2018

Prodigal7 Full Member

It's a pretty good article. Can't say I'm impressed with Butt as a coach but it sounds like he's doing well in the other areas of his job.
  23. Mar 8, 2018

lysglimt Full Member

Unfortunately that simplistic explanation is quite accurate :)
  24. Mar 8, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

You have alot of SM experience.

Send in your CV

#Sbragiaout
  25. Mar 8, 2018

EyeInTheSky Full Member

The top? Didn't I just read some shite about us being "Rock bottom"??

Join us tomorrow where we discuss how Rashford has to leave despite being the player who has played most games and minutes...