How to beat City? | without Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

Fully agree with man marking KDB out of the game, Silva to a lesser extent. Teams have be giving KDB far to much space and when he does get marked, he drops deeper (to create space) and the marker falls back to defend instead of continuing the pressing. Teams have been really punished by his time on the ball to pick out his passes. Yesterday a good e.g. for their second goal from Silva, WHU stopped pressing and got instantly punished.
    I know many have said if you man mark KDB, they have Silva or a bench full of players that can take over his role. I disagree it is like saying we don't have Pogba for the City game, therefore Fellaini or Herrera can come in and do what Pogba does. City's fluid play and attack all starts or goes through KDB.
  2. Dec 4, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter Verified Moaner City Lover

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    We won't get corners against them unless we regularly go forward with the ball and commit numbers.

He could. It's not something you can do all game. Arsenal did this for 15 minutes then City just picked them off as they tired. Ideally if we do this, by the time we flag off we're 2 goals up, then we can defend and counter-attack more assuredly. We'll also have to be extremely clinical. City won't want for chances no matter how we line up.
  3. Dec 4, 2017

DFreshKing Full Member

4. Dec 4, 2017

unitedforeveral Banned

Jose Mourinho is always known worldwide for his anti-football tactics. What's worse is- that's true! He kills teams with attacking instincts. If you throw the best attacking teams in the league, he will totally kill their game. What he finally wants is 3 points and more goals than his opposition. None of the other numbers matter to him, he doesn't pay attention to the possession stats, passing stats, tackle stats or any other such. All he cares is to be patient and hit them on the counter. I'm extremely disappointed to watch United play this kind of football but i rather watch them win trophies than play fantastic football (RIGHT NOW) because i think we need trophies and confidence.

Jose tactics are very simple like he says: We attack and defend with 11 players. That's not a bad thing and also we do not respect all the teams, only those which we think are in a better position than us at the time. We have had games in both of Jose's seasons where we have had more than 70% possession in games. He picks a few games were we concentrate on defending more than attacking. Come Sunday Pep will be worried because United may not play well but we certainly will defend superbly well. David DeGea is the best goal keeper in the world and City will find it very difficult to put one past us. I'm guessing we will play a 3-4-1-2 but i guess for most part of the game it is going to be 5-3-2.

I know playing counter attack is difficult without Pogba but that's our only chance against city this season and i hope we break their defense once and never turn back.

1-0 UNITED!
  5. Dec 4, 2017

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Full Member

Work rate, as we saw at Arsenal, will be key. Pep teams are all action pressers of the ball, and we'll have to match that. Massive blow to lose Pogba; will Fellaini be available? We'll need someone in midfield who can really battle.

It's going to be a challenge anyway. We're the home side, playing catch up, and the onus is upon us to take the game to City. They know a win for them will mean the title in all but name; the pressure to win the game is on us. We'll need to work like Trojans, stay switched on for every second and have the crowd as a twelfth man. If we get it right, we can win it, and Jose will have tactics spot on.
  6. Dec 4, 2017

SirFergie Full Member

I think we need 3 in midfield to combat both Silva and De Bruyne. Whether Bailly or Jones are back and he moves Lindelof into midfield with Matic and Herrera in front of them then who knows but I think Fellaini might start this to help get the ball up the pitch quicker.

De Gea

Lindelof
    Smalling
    Rojo

Valencia
    Young

Matic
    Herrera
    Fellaini

Lukuku
    Martial
  7. Dec 4, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Reported!
  8. Dec 4, 2017

KristianMackle New Member

Someone give this gentleman a medal. That is exactly the team I would choose. It has pace, power and stability.
  9. Dec 4, 2017

Alvaro Maestre New Member

I think we have to take the risk of not playing Herrera and playing Lingard instead.
  10. Dec 4, 2017

RedStrudel76 Banned

I just hope the match isn't a let-down. The onus is on us to attack, not for Jose to try to spoil the game and play for a draw.
  11. Dec 4, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

No chance you drop Lingard with the form he is in.

3-4-1-2 is the way to go.
  12. Dec 4, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Do what we did to Chelsea last season. Press them from the front, dont give them an inch to breathe, sit back once they beat the early press and pour forward in numbers in the counter attack when we get the ball. We can beat them, we've got the players to do it. We just have to believe in our qualities and show it on the pitch.
  13. Dec 4, 2017

Supports:
    You have to pick your poison here. If you follow KDB all over the pitch you'll create holes that Silva and co will readily move into. For most of the match, Jose will willingly let KDB operate from deep. He's most dangerous when he's running to space within your half and can pick out a runner with a cross/through-ball or unleash a wicked shot.

Also, man-marking will be less effective as City's creativity is not limited to 1 player. Shit, Walker and Otamendi become secondary playmakers if you are too aggressive on one player, or you stand off them too deep.
  14. Dec 4, 2017

Charles Miller Full Member Verified Moaner

They are struggling against those park the bus tactics and are winning only because the adversary can't counter attack.
    I dont like negative football but it will not change by miracle, so to defend deep with compact lines and counter attack can very well be effective.
  15. Dec 4, 2017

Stocar Full Member

That's what works best against teams like City. Bournemouth pressed them like that for some time in the first half. But it works only when they're not quite up to it, and you'd expect them to be in a derby.
  16. Dec 4, 2017

Darkhorsez Full Member

That’s fair. They do have so many options. However just going by laws of probability, taking one or two of their more lethal creators out, at least limits damage. Let’s see what will go down. Heck of a game.
  17. Dec 4, 2017

We're into December and they've only dropped two points. It's a superb record, but at some stage they will have a wobble. Where's Andy Tate, "blood and thunder, sweat, tears" :lol:. Sunday is the game for it.
  18. Dec 4, 2017

SirFergie Full Member

Well we took the risk of playing 2 last season and were 2-0 down before we knew what hit us. I think we have to admit that their midfield is bloody good and De Bruyne and Silva will run rings around a Matic and Fellaini 2. We need a more mobile player in there as well, whether that's Lindelof or Herrera, that's up to Jose. But I think we need a 3rd body in there.
  19. Dec 4, 2017

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Should be fine then. They're looking sharper than KdB and Sterling anyway who both looked knackered against West Ham.
  20. Dec 4, 2017

Shark @NotShark

Even if we beat City, we will now be without Pogba yet again, for three matches. There's every chance we'll turn back to shit and drop points against the lower teams without him.
  21. Dec 4, 2017

Alvaro Maestre New Member

Im all in for a third body in MF , but Im also sick of all the stick Jose will get because he will be playing too defensive in OT.
  22. Dec 4, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

It's about how well you do it. Even Barcelona (for a good few years) and Madrid are troubled by La Liga mid table sides like Celta Vigo by an intelligent press. It obviously has to be a balance and you have to know when to sit off. So it can work even if they're up to it. Provided we are up to it of course.
  23. Dec 4, 2017

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Is Herrera capable of man marking De Bruyne like he did Hazard?
  24. Dec 4, 2017

Supports:
    I agree. Can't wait.

Goes without saying we will not let De Bruyne and Silva operate as they would please, but restricting them without losing our shape defensively will be key.
  25. Dec 4, 2017

City (h), Bournemouth (h), West Brom (a). We should be winning the latter two without Pogba, but losing him for the derby is a huge blow.
  26. Dec 4, 2017

SirFergie Full Member

Depends what he aims to do first - stop them or pressure them.
  27. Dec 4, 2017

Darkhorsez Full Member

Yeah makes total sense. The good news here is that in Mou we have probably the best person to accomplish what’s needed. However, all well-laid out plans do sometimes derail - takes two to tango. Just really happy that at least we are in a position to dent City’s successful run.
  28. Dec 4, 2017

Jason Cutler Banned

Supports:
    Manchester City
    I imagine you guys will be fielding a weaker team in the UCL, is that right?
  29. Dec 4, 2017

Dobba Full Member

We're up against Michael Oliver for good measure.
  30. Dec 4, 2017

NoPace Full Member

I think if we play 3-5-2 it's either Lingard or Fellaini because someone other than Matic has to be able to harass DeBruyne and Silva in the middle and not switch off when they pass the ball, which both Fellaini and Lingard will absolutely do.

If we're defending deep to start, Lingard makes sense to counter. If we're trying not to just defend the final 25 yards only, Fellaini as a target 10 makes sense.

I could also see 4 at the back making tactical sense since City aren't going to start with 2 out and out strikers and then we could play Martial left, Fellaini as a 10 and Lingard nominally right but tucked in and looking to counter since Delph tucks in anyways. Also, we basically switched to 4 at the back once Arsenal stopped playing 3 at the back. Though our 3cbs and wingbacks are in better form than our midfielders so from that perspective it makes less sense.

Without Pogba and with City not yet hitting the swoon I do believe they will hit at some point, I have no problems whatsoever if Mou wants to park the bus.
  31. Dec 4, 2017

GimmeAKitKat Four Brown Fingers

Herrera to man mark De Bruyne out of the game

Valencia and Young having brilliant games to nullify Sane+Sterling

Then hope Matic and the 3 CB's he goes with are enough to keep out Silva/Aguero/Jesus

Going forward, rinse and repeat the Arsenal game. Fire it at Lukaku, have Lingard and Martial running off him and hope for the best.
  32. Dec 4, 2017

BlakeUtd Full Member

how're going to play without Matic?
  33. Dec 4, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Our movement needs to be the same as against Arsenal. Playing too simple and slow will just end up with them being in perfect shape to counter when we lose possession.

Our defence needs to be solid though.

Easy.
  34. Dec 4, 2017

Kag Full Member

Press high, defend smartly and hit on the counter. That does not mean play like we did against Liverpool or Chelsea.
  35. Dec 4, 2017

Ban Full Member

Why? It's pretty good. :D
  36. Dec 4, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Surely, we'll go back to 4 at the back? No way Lingard loses his place. 3 in the midfield if Fellainis fit and play 4-3-3 diamond with Martial and Lukaku up top.
  37. Dec 4, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

I'll see you in hull pal!
  38. Dec 4, 2017

Ban Full Member

Lets get physical physical...
  39. Dec 4, 2017

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

I don't actually think they're that great in fairness, it's just that a lot of our league is gubbins this season.
    The big clubs are racking up a lot of smashfests.

I just don't automatically think they'll crumble because a lot of teams have a bad spell.
    Who is to say this isn't their bad spell now with the late wins against crappos.
  40. Dec 4, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

I was going to come back with "I will make your body talk" but that just sounds wrong...