How to beat City? | without Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017

willowisp Banned

Yes I think this will be the team, Fellaini will feature I am sure.
    Without Pogba we can still beat them playing our nice stuff, but the chances of a damaging home defeat is too high to play combination football-Mourinho will play as dirty as he can to get a 1-0 result. I expect every trick in the book to be applied.
  2. Dec 4, 2017

tomaldinho1 Full Member

----------------------------------------DDG------------------------------------
    Valencia --- Smalling --- Lindelof ---Tuanzebe --- Blind --- Rojo --- Shaw
    --------------------------------------- Matic -----------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------ Young ------ Lingard ---------------------------

I would estimate returns of anywhere between 8-0 & 12-0 to us.
  3. Dec 4, 2017

Josep Dowling Full Member

My opinion is that too many teams panic against them and sit back. This only adds pressure and eventually the strain of constantly defending, cracks start to open and they score.

Much like us in the good old days, teams are already beaten before they step on the pitch. If we go out there and set up to defend that will fall straight into their hand, both mentally and tactically. This air of superiority is driving me nuts. They have a back line containing Delph, Stones and Otamendi.

De Bruyne and Silva need to be stopped. Doing that though is a completely different story. No doubt Aguero will step his game up for us like he always does.
  4. Dec 4, 2017

Random Task Full Member

I'm all for the greater good, but Matic suffering a nervous breakdown as a direct result of this formation is totally unacceptable.
  5. Dec 4, 2017

Ban Full Member

:lol:
  6. Dec 4, 2017

tomaldinho1 Full Member

This.
    Perspective.
  7. Dec 5, 2017

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

It’s annoying to lose Pog for this game, but it’s more annoying to lose him for a further two just as we’d rediscovered our swagger with him. We’re just as likely to win on Sunday, then stutter against West Brom away.

We’re capable of beating City without him (albeit uglier) just as they’re capable of beating us without De Bruyne, or Silva. Both squads have enough quality and good enough managers to engineer a result on the day, but to lose him for the bulk of the Xmas period just as we looked on the upturn and City looked to be flagging slightly is exceptionally poor timing. For the morale of both sides if nothing else. It’s the kind of thing that ultimately sways Championships. We lost him just as we were going into our first block of important games, still level with City, and we’re losing him again going into our second, with our best chance of recovering the ground we lost the first time! The only thing more annoying would be losing him again around April.

Still, thems the breaks.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. Dec 5, 2017

Macern SeARcHeS iMagEs oF fO0tbAlLeRs bAllSaCkS

I can’t remember the last time I was properly nervous before a game, but I’m already feeling it for this one. Must be years ago
  9. Dec 5, 2017

Orione New Member

If we want to beat City, we must score first. Then we can hit them on the counter as they try to come back into the game. If City score first, they will definitely win.
  10. Dec 5, 2017

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

This. The first goal is so crucial in this game. We need to start fast out of the blocks and press them high. Do something they are not used to and try to score early in the game. It will surprise them and put pressure on them especially at OT. We can put men behind the ball and wait for their mistakes after.
  11. Dec 5, 2017

ur2cdanger New Member

Pogba would have been perfect for a game like this. He is probably the only player (probably Martial) who can keep the ball when pressed. No other in the team can do this. This would have been ideal. With him missing out, our tactics should be tight at the back and center and hit on counter with real pace. So I would start with

------------------- DeaGod----------------------

----------Lindelof -- Smalling -- Rojo---------

Valencia -- Herrera -- Matic -- Young

---------- Lingard ---------- Martial----------

Rashford

Sane, Sterling, KDB, Silva, Aguero, Delph and Walker would be playing way higher up. That would leave (Rashford+ Martial + Lingard) vs (Kompany + Otamendi + Fernandinho). These three have enough pace and off the ball movement to handle their 3.

• Fellaini would be useless in this game with City's pressing. He is going to pass the ball to the back 3 which will invite more City's attack - So definitely no no. Only to be brought in the final minutes to defend our lead ( Mark my words - we are winning the game with Fellaini brought at the end to defend our lead)
    • Lukaku - Might be controversial but I don't think he is suited for a game like this. He is not that good in holding up the ball for people to join him nor he has the pace of other front 3. He is more of finishing up the chances that others create which he is not going to get any. This is kind of game where you need to make your own chance through pace or skill. Brought on if we need to chase the game.
  12. Dec 5, 2017

suhaylah New Member

I agree that Lukaku won't be effective as his hold up play is horrible sometimes. Ibrahimovich would do a better a job.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. Dec 5, 2017

iluvurmummy Banned

Lukaku
    <Lingard>

^............
    Fellaini - Herrera
    Matic

^......................................^
    Young - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tony V
    Rojo - Smalling - Lindelof
    DDG
    They’re gonna dominate possession, so we gotta be on point contesting second balls when hoofing and some good crosses would be great.
  14. Dec 5, 2017

Dobbs Banned

I used to say the same about Barcelona's backline. The problem was getting enough of the ball to expose it. To a lesser extent the same is true of City.
  15. Dec 5, 2017

cyril C New Member

Long ball into City's box and let their CB and keeper enjoy their possession, then high press them into making mistakes like Arsenal. Down to finishing now.
  16. Dec 5, 2017

ghagua Full Member

Pray.
  17. Dec 5, 2017

notcool Banned

Supports:
    a
    Normally counter-attacking them would be a good idea but maybe the circumstances make that difficult. It's an away game for them and they are eight points clear of us. They don't need to win. We are the ones who need to attack them.

'But it's City, right? They always attack.'
    Wrong. They defend, just in a different way. They defend by possessing the ball. In the game against Chelsea they didn't create much. They kept the ball until Chelsea pressed to aggressively then they killed them. De Bruyne's goal came after about an hour because Chelsea had been too passive up until that point. It is the same as us setting a trap against Arsenal and not attacking until they get too aggressive, just done it a different way. Guardiola can be as pragmatic as Mourinho at times but it's not noticed.

Having said all that, it might be hard for them to be so completely dominant in terms of possession. Against Chelsea they had an extra man in midfield and i'm not sure how they would have that against us if the formations are our 4-2-3-1 against their 4-3-3. They could play Jesus as a false nine but i'm not sure Guardiola would do that/he would be so good at it. The logical choice is Bernardo Silva as the false nine and I think they've played him there before. It's hard to seeing both Jesus and Aguero being dropped though.
  18. Dec 5, 2017

crossy1686 Full Member

Make Old Trafford as hostile as possible, crowd need to be vicious and 50/50 tackles need to be flying in everywhere. Put the ball in the air and clatter them where possible, especially corners and that's where we'll score.

After we get a goal, shut up shop and invite them onto us and wait for a break.

I'm confident that this City team are soft in the middle, similar to Arsenal's side back in the 2000's.
  19. Dec 5, 2017

SS Full Member

Could be Lacazette all over again, but if not, it's made things a lot easier for us.
  20. Dec 5, 2017

OverratedOpinion Full Member

It's very important to start well against City. The way they dominate the ball and their pressure becomes very demoralising when chasing. We also have to know that they aren't Arsenal, they are very unlikely to let their heads drop if we make it physical.

I think the atmosphere will be important for this game, more so than usual in big matches. You do a lot of chasing against City which is exhausting on our pitch, adrenaline from the crowd is a big help.
  21. Dec 5, 2017

Greck Full Member

Don't think Ibra plays a game that requires our striker to be deadly on the counter and press defenders non-stop.
  22. Dec 5, 2017

Crazy Horse Full Member

Important not to get on the back foot and drop too far back. If we do that they'll just keep coming at us until they score. Then Pep will replace 3 of his performing robots for another 3 and shut up shop. Job done! We must go at them and break that midfield. Move over Gary Neville!
  23. Dec 5, 2017

crossy1686 Full Member

He'll play in some capacity. Too important to them to not have a role.
  24. Dec 5, 2017

DRM New Member

I think we have to play with 3 midfielders otherwise we run the risk of City dominating possession. They are very good at knocking the ball around and patiently waiting for that opening. I'd like us to keep hold of possesion and city to chase after the ball.

We've not done that all season however so doubt we'll do it on Sunday. City will have the majority of the ball and we'll look to counter when we can. I just hope we can hold out defensively!
  25. Dec 5, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

We can't replace Pogba passes and switching the game quickly from defence to attack no player can do that in our midfield Matic,Herrera or Fellaini can't just do what Pogba doing offensively That's why the game will be most of times in our areas we will try to counter through Martial and Lingard but the supplies are not there I'm afraid.
  26. Dec 6, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

Lingard is a must. His form is irresistible and he can score goals. Why would anybody leave him out?
  27. Dec 6, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

So, are you suggesting that we give up?
  28. Dec 6, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

Giving up is not an option. It's a must win game for us my opinion is based on fear that we just can't replace Pogba.
  29. Dec 6, 2017

RonW Full Member

City are a technically good team, we suffer against teams that like to play the ball on the ground like Arsenal, Chelsea and we'll likely feel the same against City too. The best hope we have is to play hoof ball or counter attack which City really struggle against a lot. So I think we'll definitely need our runners like Herrera and Lingard in this game to keep a check on the runs made by City's players especially De Bryune who thrives on playing those one twos. As for when we have the ball, hoof it if you can't pass it, Lukaku will be under a lot of pressure to win those aerial duels so we can win the second ball and pass it to the wings for Martial/Rashford to create an attack.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  30. Dec 6, 2017

Jeffthered Full Member

[​IMG]

That's how.
  31. Dec 6, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Without Pogba, Jose’s tactical masterclass could be vital. He is a thinker, and most importantly, a problem solver.

I will take the ugliest 3 points ever.
  32. Dec 6, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Im not one of these people who wants rivals stars to be injured but if KDB could pick up a strain id appreciate it.
  33. Dec 6, 2017

SirFergie Full Member

So you're suggesting Matic (who was known for his long passing at Chelsea) and Herrera are incapable of long-passes?

Where we'll miss Pogba is his ability to carry the ball in midfield.

Lukuku's hold up play has to be spot on, Lingard needs to continue in the same vein of form and Martial needs to win his individual battle against Walker/Otamendi.
  34. Dec 6, 2017

suhaylah New Member

I think we'll see a 3-4-3 line up again, same line up as against Arsenal with the exception of Pogba. Herrera will surely takes his place.
  35. Dec 6, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

I'm not suggesting anything, if you watched Arsenal game you will know exactly what is difference between Pogba and the others, but I think players will be fired up enough to produce.
  36. Dec 6, 2017

Sgeorge New Member

At least Lukaku scored a decent goal midweek, so that would give him confidence. Pogba is a big miss, so I wouldn't mind if Jose decides to park the bus. Certainly do not want to be thrashed by City.

Plan could be, do not allow the game to flow and try to get a goal on the counter or a set piece. I prefer the latter as City have been very good at counterattacking the counter.
  37. Dec 6, 2017

Sing you a song Full Member

Pretty sure we will set up with a back 3
    Young and Valencia at wing backs with strict instructions to bomb forward whenever possible and put city's defence under pressure .
    Matic to sit tight ,Herrera to do the "ratting " in midfield with lingard supporting the 2 strikers Lukaku and Martial

Think that can work as long as we press press press and break with pace and quick passing
  38. Dec 6, 2017

Maradona10 Duncan Castles

City resting most players, but going with Sane,Fernandinho,,danilo,Gundogan and jesus. I think jesus might not even start against us, maybe not even danilo.
  39. Dec 6, 2017

Sylar Full Member

With lukaku and rashford scoring last game, Lingard and Martial both on form, we really need to rely on our attack (and they need to play a big part). Midfield will need to do a big big job especially with Pogba being out. And defence need to ensure they dont leak chance after chance.
  40. Dec 6, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Walker, Kompany, Otamendi, Delph will be the defense I think. Fernandinho should play. Silva could be a doubt as well so Gundogan might play. Will be interesting. Think we got a good chance to smash them with the right tactic! Just a bit worried about Mourinhos tactical ability recently particular against more clever managers like Conte and Pep tactically.