How to beat City? | without Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

Silva out for the derby would be huge, but I think he will play.
  2. Dec 6, 2017

SirMonteyne New Member

press hard their back line, long balls to Fellaini and Lukaku, our offense has quality, can punish them. Most importantly stay sharp in defense. Herrera must put all of his efforts into this game, marking De bruyne is going to be hard. Our midfielders don't need to outsmart them, just play safe, pass to backline for the long balls. Easy 3 points
  3. Dec 6, 2017

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Herrera will be on Silva IMO, KDB plays deeper these days and Mou won't want him to be sucked out. Lingard will track KDB + has the stamina/pace to do a job on him.
  4. Dec 6, 2017

VancouverUtdFan Full Member

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    United’s home unbeaten record of 40 games. Top it off with José’s personal Sunday home record and I’m confident we come away with at least 1 point. Hard to argue the facts and track record even with a Pogba-less lineup...Mourinho’s always figured out a way and I don’t get why anyone would count him out now.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...se-mourinho-is-undefeated-at-home-on-a-sunday
  5. Dec 6, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

Exactly this. He also never played last night, which probably means he’ll play Sunday, and rightfully so. I wouldn’t want to change that trio of Rom-Martial-Lingard just yet. Especially as all 3, especially Lingard can put in a shift and still hit them on the counter if the opportunity arise.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

MacabbiUnited New Member

Supports:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
    City lost yesterday. I know it was a meaningless game, but they had a pretty strong line up.

Last year the beggining of their downfall was a 3-3 draw in a meaningless game with Celtic, after that draw that cut their winning streak they didnt win for 6 games.

I knkw it's a long shot, but I always had the feeling that Pep doesnt know how to pickup a team after a loss, and is a bad in crisis manegement. When his team gets to a loosing streak, it continues until he manages to steady the ship. Hopefully that loss would come in handy for us, as meaningless as it us.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    them losing to Shakthar is brilliant. There's no such thing as a nothing game. They thought they were invincible, they're not. A tiny smidge of fear has taken root in their hearts. It's on Mou to spread that smidge into a huge oozing puddle of terror.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

Womp Full Member

I agree. I just really hope the players step up, without Pogba we have no-one to link the midfield to the attack so they are going to have to play out of their skin.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

I think our own psychological barriers will be at least as significant as theirs coming off a loss, and probably far worse. We looked good at the start of the season - with Pogba. And then Pogba was out for a couple of months and we looked rubbish. Then he came back and we started looking good again. And now he is out again. Easy to see how that could play on the players' minds.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

glazed Full Member

Klingon warriors go into battle believing they are already dead, but they might win their lives back if they fight well. If not, 'c'est la vie' (or not, to be literal.)

So I'll be pleasantly astonished if we win this game without Pogba, since I doubt we would have won it even with him. Game will be far more enjoyable to watch that way. And we can play without fear.
  11. Dec 7, 2017

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

Im also putting a lot of faith into this. Whilst some fans huffed with wrath, I liked how he set up vs Liverpool and Spurs, completely nullifying their considerable attacking threats.

Our players seem able to implement his very specific instructions; I'm hoping hose will include 'smash and grab' ideas on how to score enough goals to also win the game.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

NoPace Full Member

I think I agree with this. Arsenal found ways to pick the lock against us once we sat very deep against them and while Sanchez, Ozil, Lacazette and Ramsey is a fine group City have been even better at that stuff this year. De Gea was brilliant but ideally our D gives him less to do. So pushing a bit higher and having Fellaini bully the tiny Fernandinho (seriously there aren't DMs outside of Pirlo of that size for a reason) seems like a better path to winning. Especially since without Pogba eating up 80 yards on the counter we're nowhere near as dangerous on the break.

But it's tough to break up the front 3 and I don't think Fellaini playing over Herrera makes enough sense. I could see Lingard up top and Martial coming off the bench if Fellaini is deemed healthy enough to play 60, or maybe Fellaini coming on at halftime if we're down 1-0.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Stookie Nurse bell end

Ya need to grow a pair pal. City aren’t this unbeatable amazing side that veryone is talking about. They needed a dodgy pen against Huddersfield and then two very late goals against two mediocre teams. We’ve a great chance if José let’s em play. We’re United not Leyton Orient. As fans we shouldn’t fear playing anyone.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Epicurean New Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    I hope United will break City’s undefeated streak. It will be a great game to watch for any neutral, that’s for sure!
  15. Dec 7, 2017

luke511 Full Member

I think having Lukaku and Zlatan up top together is key for us winning this. I hope Fellaini plays instead of Herrera too, he's a much better partner for Matic.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

reddaz71 New Member

De Gea
    Valencia
    Smalling
    Jones
    Lindelof
    Young

Matic
    Herrera

Lingard
    Lukaku
    Martial
  17. Dec 7, 2017

Sagittarius13 New Member

They just lost! It's now or never!
  18. Dec 7, 2017

ManUtd1999 Full Member

Giving that Pogba is out and Fellaini is in doubt, here are few stats:

Man United with/without Paul Pogba
    Games: 8 with/ 7 without
    Wins: 7/4
    Draws: 1/1
    Defeats: 0/2
    Average goals for: 3.0/1.6
    Average goals against: 0.8/0.4
    Points per game: 2.8/1.9
    Win rate: 88%/57%

Man United with/without Marouane Fellaini
    Games: 9 with/ 6 without
    Wins: 8/3
    Draws: 0/2
    Defeats: 1/1
    Average goals for: 2.7/1.8
    Average goals against: 0.2/1.2
    Points per game: 2.7/1.8
    Win rate: 89%/50%

I guess part of this is that they missed some of the toughest games (Pogba: Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham; Fellaini: Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham).

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/manc...and-fellaini-171207264727#Ucs1q53k5plelIKM.99

Yes, few teams gave them a hard time in recent weeks. We can beat them, and it's the best time to do so.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

glazed Full Member

Just calling it as I see it.
  20. Dec 7, 2017

Stookie Nurse bell end

Don’t worry mate, everything will be ok......I hope:nervous:
  21. Dec 7, 2017

glazed Full Member

Well I'm totally reassured now :houllier:
  22. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Sorry mate, who? Those from star trek?
  23. Dec 7, 2017

shamans 1 set of sheets, optimistic about chances of sex

This is the game for Fellaini to cement his name as an old trafford hero!
  24. Dec 7, 2017

glazed Full Member

Yes. [​IMG]
  25. Dec 7, 2017

Nikelesh Reddy New Member

We just have to play 3-5-2,I think if Fellainis fit then he should play ahead of Herrera.The front 3 should be Lingard,Martial and Lukaku and if Jones is fit,then he walks straight back into the team.I think Jose should do what he did against Chelsea at OT last season,when Chelsea came to OT as the champions elect.Jose set the team up to hit Chelsea on the break,while pressing with intensity high up the pitch and outmuscling them physically.I think we should set up like we are playing an away game....
  26. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

:lol: ok
  27. Dec 7, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

I feel very strangly confident at the moment. Think we will beat them. Particular if Silva misses the game. Aguero at the moment doesn't scare me much and hopefully they start him over Jesus. Sterling moves well, but if you stop the service he is not doing much. Sane seem to dropped form after his illness now and is not in top form.

Kevin De Bruyne has also dropped in form and if we put extra hard pressure on him I think we can stop that midfield. Silva is the one I fear the most cause he seem to be the one still in top form. Although him out and I think we can win the midfield battle and if we do that then we are as good in the other areas already. The defense is also not that great.

We need to raise our game as much as they do and not be stupid though!

I also think if we are a bit shit in our defending De Gea will save us anyway :).
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Hughie77 New Member

Looks like Bially, or Jones won' be fit, so I can see Jose setting up same as Watford and arsenal, 3 at back 2 wing backs young and velanica, pogba big miss, so it's Herrera, Matic in middle, Jesse, Martial lukaku.. I'd play Rashford he's always up for it against City.. Can see a close game and can see us winning by 1 goal. Two nil.. but if you listen to all the ex players, pundits, etc, we got no chance?
  29. Dec 7, 2017

red_john New Member

Every single player has to be on top form. No silly mistakes. Im going for an ugly 1-0 win.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

In two minds between Lingard and Mata. Without Pogba we could do with someone to help get the ball forward, but Lingard has been so good on the counter for us at #10 and will help drag Fernandinho out of the game.

Think we will keep the 3412. Lukaku and Martial will play high and everyone else will sit a bit deeper and try to absorb pressure to catch City on the counter.
  31. Dec 7, 2017

Terminator2017 New Member

I don't know what we are going to do without Pogba, I get a feeling Jose is going to play for a draw.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Would definitely put Lingard. Not only he can help on the counter and drag Fernandinho, but he can press them effectively higher up the pitch. Also, can have one eye on De Bruyne when we're defending deep.

Don't see Mata being effective in this game.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times

---------------de Gea
    -------Lindelof
    --Smalling--Rojo
    Valencia----Matic--Fellaini----Young
    ---------------Lingard
    -----------Lukaku--Martial
  34. Dec 7, 2017

minoo-utd New Member

I'm optimistic, I feel that players will have the game of their lives, well at least most of them.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

Toad Full Member

We are going to need to play both Matic and Fellaini in a deep midfield role, two strong players that are excellent at breaking up play. Both difficult to play against physically. De Bruyne, Silva (who will most likely play) and won’t be strong enough to handle them if we play physically.

Playing 3 at the back should work quite well with Valencia taking Sane with Lindelof to drift out to assist. On the other side, Young against Sterling and Rojo naturally drifting out to help.

I don’t think Walker on his own will cope with Martial and Young linking up on the counter, but then with Delph most likely at left back the eighth side should be our best best if only Valencia took on his man.

I think the important player for us in this game will be Fellaini and Matic to break up play and disrupt City’s rhythm and Young/Valencia, they are going to have to run there arses off up and down the line
  36. Dec 7, 2017

Greck New Member

I'd go with Fellaini over Herrera as well. Herrera was good in the midweek but this season, he's pressed like a headless chicken and his tackling hasn't been as strong. Fellaini offers strong tackling and a good hoofball outlet if we struggle to play out of defence. Also a goal threat on crosses on the far post
  37. Dec 7, 2017

Fluctuation0161 New Member

Snow forecast for Sunday in Manchester. Will be interesting!
  38. Dec 7, 2017

Ronetta Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Clutching at straws there mate.

City threw the Shaktar game in preparation for Sunday. We made 7 changes to the side that started against West Ham. No Silva, KDB, Sterling, Delph, Walker, Kompany, Otamendi.

Of course we tried to win and failed. But did you see Pep's body language and that of the players? They were not remotely bothered.

This is nothing like last season's Celtic game, which contrary to your remark was not a meaningless game at all. It was an important CL group game where City really needed maximum points and fielded a full strength team.

You might win or draw on Sunday, but if you do, it won't be because City lost last night.
  39. Dec 8, 2017

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts

I agree that you guys definitely put a lot less into it with a keen eye on Sunday, but an intentional drop in intensity can still affect momentum, and confidence. Some teams can of course completely switch a game off and put it away, others not so much. Or third option, you have a manager like Fergie and you feel more confident following a loss than a win.
  40. Dec 8, 2017

SER19 Full Member

With the obvious problem without Pogba being linking our middle and attack either lingard or Fellaini will be deployed in a hugely important role- as much and many will hate to hear it :lol:

Could one of them do a Phil Neville vs arsenal