How to beat City? | without Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2017

Baby Groot Banned

Probably park the bus and give them no space to play
  2. Nov 26, 2017

N2402 Banned

the same team that beat us a few weeks ago tho..
  3. Nov 26, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

Attack them, get physical and get in there face.

If we sit back and park the bus we'll lose. Get the likes of Rojo, Bailly Herrera all from fired up.
  4. Nov 26, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Park the bus and hoof it to Fellaini. Trying to play football against then will kill you, United cant match them in that department.

Make it physical, suits Mou just fine.
  5. Nov 26, 2017

tony54 New Member

Mata or Kiki should not even be on the bench, they are both toothless.
  6. Nov 26, 2017

Womp idiot

They've got a much more technical squad, we've got a much stronger squad. Fight them
  7. Nov 26, 2017

iHicksy Full Member

I'd probably go with the following:
    De Gea​
    Valencia Jones Bailey Darmian
    Matic​
    Pogba Fellaini
    Rashford Lukak Young
    Looks a pretty weird lineup but I feel Young will be exposed as left back but he's the most in form winger we have and his crossing is exceptional, with Fellaini making runs from deep and Lukaku to aim at we could cause them real problems. I think we need to go with a 3 man midfield and I think Herrera will be a liability given his form this season.
  8. Nov 26, 2017

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

No, CL knockouts will take care of that. Can't see them dropping 9 more points than us from here though.
  9. Nov 26, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

Oh come on. We have enough players to play football and we are going to show some football.
  10. Nov 26, 2017

breakout67 Full Member

There is no other choice because mata and Mkhi have played themselves out of contention. Rashford and Martial are probably replacements for Lukaku rather than players that will support him.

If Lukaku is dropped and we play Martial/Rashford with Ibra then that is also an option. Martial and Rashford together with Lukaku and Ibra on the bench is suicide.
  11. Nov 26, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

6 of those points are in our hands.
  12. Nov 26, 2017

NoLogo Full Member

Park the bus like Huddersfield and hope our individually better players will get us a point or three.
  13. Nov 26, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

We are not going to do that at home people need to stop saying that .
  14. Nov 26, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Many different things we need to do. First of all we need to get up for the game. 100% up for it and ready to run a lot for 90 minutes plus 20 minutes extra time from a corrupt City ref. We need players with good fitness for these games. Siege mentality is the key and Mourinho can do this.

I think we either need to press with high intensity or play deep like a lot of teams play against them. Low intensity pressing and they will pass around us. I would start with high intensity press from the start (20-25 minutes) to get the stadium with us and use the siege mentality. Key then is to close down the passing lines and not press 1 player at a time. They normally push up a bit with the fullbacks while Fernandinho falls down. Silva and De Bruyne will come deeper to get the ball. We need to press together in high density. Not give them much space to pass around players. They will try to move from side to side, but then we have to move along together. In order to get this to work we need our best defensive wingers in the team. Young should play as one for me. Then I will probably pick Rashford over Martial, but that is a doubt.

Lineup for me.
    De Gea
    Valencia- Smalling- Bailly/lindelöf- Rojo
    Matic
    Young Herrera Pogba Rashford
    Lukaku

Young and Rashford could change position potentially. Key is them helping the midfield closing down space. We need a top form defensive Herrera for this game. Pogba will be key particular when we have tha ball and need to step up.

Attacking plan would be to attack Delph a lot. Young or Rashford vs Delph could do well. Set pieces could be key as well. We should have an advantage in those so I would have a plan to give space for Lukaku and Smalling by good movements and tricks. Quick counter attacks and using Lukaku as a target man when needed since they will press us a lot and the longball over the press could be good. Rashford need to run like crazy like he did against Spurs. If we get 1-2 goals we could then park the buss and I have confident in us doing that.

If we manage to get a goal we will and should fall deeper. Then potentially either bring on Fellaini to break down play and being a good target to hit. Or bring in Martial for some pace if he can do the defensive work. We need good counter attacks so we don't just defend for 90 minutes.

If they score we need to keep the press. Young down as leftback with Martial on could improve the attack. Fellaini and Zlatan on near the end to put in crosses.

Extra tactic could be having different shapes depending on the formation City use. Sometimes they play 3-5-2 so then we could just put Rojo in as central defender and move down Young to play 3-5-2 against them the.

Ideally we would have some tactics how to pass around them when we get the chance, but I don't think we will beat them playing short passing football given how much we already struggle with that.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  15. Nov 26, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Ofcourse we can, but we shouldnt try to best them at their game. They've got too much skill in midfield, but they're all rather weak physically, we should exploit that.
  16. Nov 26, 2017

Paul_Scholes18 Full Member

Jepp we should make it a game suited for us. More direct and physical in general.
  17. Nov 26, 2017

haram Full Member

Uhhh, we do have fast players and we can break from deep?...
  18. Nov 26, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Seriously, City are overrated. Their most 'impressive' win in the league was beating Chelsea at the Bridge but you have to account for the fact that Morata had to leave early due to injury. Since then they've played the top teams at home where Mané got a red and Arsenal have a pretty shit record away against the top teams anyway.

Look how vulnerable the likes of Delph and Otamendi looked when Huddersfield used their physicality from time to time. Let Rashford, Lukaku and Martial run at them with Pogba behind the three and I can assure you United has a good chance of beating them.
  19. Nov 26, 2017

Borat Sagdiyev Full Member

We need to dominate them physically.
  20. Nov 26, 2017

Drz Full Member

21. Nov 26, 2017

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

The 3 “s”, Silva, Sterling and Sane were their best players today imo. They are no great shakes at the back. Only for a fluke they would have been held today; pity. To beat then we need a bit of luck of course. We need raw courage and personality. Pogba needs to step up. Mou will be acutely aware of the tactical challenge at OT. Will Pep have some surprises in store?

We need to disrupt their midfield flow; to transition well between attack and defense. Huddersfield intercepted a lot of passes today. We will get chances: Our counter attack needs to be sharp and productive. The mentality needs to be right; Both Rashford and Martial need to show belief and composure. In order not to leak goals, we need a powerful defensive spine, and take no prisoners. We need to score at least two goals to beat them. We have to beat them, and I believe we will.

Hopefully we stay injury-free and get to the derby game in top form. I have a hunch that this game will be decided by subs, and will largely hang on choices made on the sidelines.
  22. Nov 27, 2017

Elokobi Banned

If Lukaku is suspended then we must avoid starting the Swedish Dinosaur. Rashford up top is a must, play how we did against Chelsea at home last season. Get Rashford running behind Kompany and Otamendi.

DDG; Valencia, Bailly, Smalling/Jones, Rojo, Young; Matic, Pogba, Fellaini; Martial, Rashford

We all know Mourinho will do what he knows best and that is park the bus and pray we get a lucky chance. He's lost his mojo when it comes to these big games and I can see Pep coming out trumps yet again.
  23. Nov 27, 2017

Sylar Full Member

Might need to man mark KdB.

The biggest worry, which we will have for all our big games, is our width. As good as young and valencia have transitioned, we still dont have wingbacks who can overlap and go to the byline and put in a good delivery. Young does but it often sees him cutting back on to his right foot. Oh and we have nobody out wide on the right to either take on a man or deliver a great cross to occupy their full backs.

I also worry Jose will go 352. I dont think we have the right balance for that.
  24. Nov 27, 2017

An in-form Herrera would be massive. I think you are right that Young could play a part
  25. Nov 27, 2017

Laurentiu amt New Member

We need to control the CM, it's their weak point, their transition from cm to defense.

A man mark on KDB wouldn't hurt as well.

Even if I'm dreaming, well, they're good with the ball, so why not keep it from them in an ideal case?(even tho that means going toe to toe with them which will not go well )
  26. Nov 27, 2017

Try not calling our players names. Leave that to oppo fans. Otherwise people might think you are a troll.
  27. Nov 27, 2017

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

I know, and I'm hoping we get closer and maybe XMAS, injuries or bad form helps us. Doesn't look good though (and no, I'm not in the City arselicking brigade).

They simply look more likely to get three points out of all other games.
  28. Nov 27, 2017

DarkXaero Full Member

Go 3-5-2 with Ibra and Lukaku as the front two, midfield 3 of Fellaini-Pogba-Matic, and preferred defense of Rojo-Jones-Bailly. Young and Valencia as wingbacks. We won't have enough pace in that lineup but plenty of physicality and having Ibra will provide holdup play.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  29. Nov 27, 2017

Will Singh Full Member

I think the main thing is we should concentrate on how to beat them and not how to stop them. They are human for fecks sake on our day we could rip that defence into pieces.

Drop Lukaku and play Rashford up top, play a 3 man midfield of Matic Pogba and Fellaini. Keep it tight and play it rough not sexy as that’s what they are good at. Keep going at there dodgy as feck defence and on a good day we could easily score 3 past them and on a bad it could be a boring 0-0!
  30. Nov 27, 2017

MrBest Full Member

Play 5 4 1 ... defend for 87 mins and pray that our only shot on target goes in.

De gea, Valencia, Jones Bailey smalling, young, matic Ander (defensive), pogba left mid mata on the right and lukaku at top! Defend defend defend ...
  31. Nov 27, 2017

wolvored Full Member

Probably play like we did against Liverpool and hope to win it on the only breakaway chance we have. In reality we shouldnt play like this at home, but Mourinhos that scared against the top teams thats how it will pan out, which in itself is a disgrace, as some like to think were the biggest club in the world, or certainly UK, but we play like a 6th place team. I think they will do us 2-0
  32. Nov 27, 2017

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Make it as physical a game as the rules allow, for 90 minutes.

Make it so that whatever the outcome of the game they leave feeling psychologically shaken and physically sore.

Make it as unpleasant an experience for them as is possible within the rules.

They're a soft team, with a soft core and a soft manager. Everyone else is marveling at them, standing off them and admiring them, but at the core they are there to be got at and ruffled up.

There's very little grit within that City side, and nowhere near the same freakish technical levels as that old Barca side - they're doing an impersonation of them, but they ain't them.
  33. Nov 27, 2017

SER19 Full Member

A lot needs to go right in big games. Assuming there is no catastrophic ref decision then for me the key areas will be

Close to perfect performances from Bailly and jones

I'd play Herrera and Matic in middle with Pogba and hope that the formers can manage city's playmakers while the latter isn't too deep when we are in possession- have to be prepared to go on front foot when we turn it over .....

....which is when whatever wide players we play will be important. Again we need top performances on the day from these players and I wouldn't be surprised to see lingard and rashford. People will groan but all our big wins through the years have drawn on lesser fancied players playing out of their skin

For all of their attacking prowess we can't spend the game worrying about sane and sterling, in contrast we need to expose whatever defensive frailties they have and keep them quiet by keeping their middle players quiet.

All in all if we win it won't be a thriller, but might just be a 1-0 that we can actually admire if Jose gets it spot on
  34. Nov 27, 2017

MarchingOn New Member

Score one more goal than they do.
  35. Nov 27, 2017

edcunited1878 Full Member

City are a compact team and move up and down the pitch as a unit, which restricts space for the opposition and limits a lot of passing lanes.

United need to have the right mix of players who can move well without the ball and transition quickly into offensive possession.

For me, United should consider 3 at the back but personnel wise, they don't match up well at all. A back 4 means the midfield will be sat back and isolate the center forward. But you can see the wingbacks of Young and Valencia getting pushed back.

It's key for Herrera and Matic to start behind Pogba. Upfront, I'd throw a spanner and start Rashford and Martial if 3 at the back. If it's 4 at the back, 4231...Matic and Herrera holding. Pogba CAM flanked by Martial on the left, Lingard on the right and Rashford up top.
  36. Nov 27, 2017

Nevilles.Wear.Prada Full Member

Supports:
    JDT
    Hoof it. Bypassing midfield
    , felliani to chest it and followe it up with poor first touch, after a brief scramble ball bounced onto lulaku, he square it hits the post and hits the back of the goalies head and crosses the line. One nil to United.
  37. Nov 27, 2017

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

What about this 352, with Fellaini and Matic behind Pogba...

-------------------DDG-----------------
    ----Bailly--------Jones--------Rojo----
    Val-------Fellaini------Matic------Young
    ------------------Pogba-----------------
    --------Rashford-------Martial---------
  38. Nov 27, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Defending deep and countering well I presume. But then again we are rather rubbish when we sit deep and it will most likely result in our attack being useless.

I'd apply a very high press on their keeper, defenders and CM. It's what la liga teams often do to Barcelona these days use to successfully suffocate their buildup play and use to supply to Messi. Of course, we'd have to transition to a defensive shape once they beat the forward press.

What grit do we have?
  39. Nov 27, 2017

Womp idiot

I'll snap your hand off for that :lol:
  40. Nov 27, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

Matic, Fellaini and Pogba midfield 3.

No 4-2-3-1 rubbish. We need a three man midfield.