How to beat City? | without Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by sammsky1, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 27, 2017

edcunited1878 Full Member

That right side of Valencia and Fellaini is technically inadequate. With Bailly behind them, I would question Eric's discipline and defensive awareness against City's left side of Sane or Gabriel with Silva.
  2. Nov 27, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

I’m hoping we have an absolute brick shithouse a team that’ll get rough and physical with them. Rojo, Bailly, Fellaini, Matic, Pogba, Ibra and Lukaku should cause more than enough problems for them especially if we play hoofball.
  3. Nov 27, 2017

chris wilson Banned

On paper the UAE's team are slightly ahead of us, after all Guardiola's had a head start with the likes of Silva, DeBruyne, Aguerro who were already established as top attacking talent along with the potential o Sterling. They've spent the oil money well by adding BSilva, Jesus and Sane. That is a frightening collection of some impressive talent.
    So yes they are ahead of us atm but not so far in petsonnell that we shouldn't be able to give them a good game. With Matic, Pogba, Martial and Rashford we too, at least on paper, have an attacking line up that most teams will fear.

The greater difference is in their superior fluency of movement, greater pace in transition from defense to attack and accuracy of passing going forward. They find pockets of space so quickly, working as a unit, making it easy for the successful completion of the pass. Over 250 completed today. So Mourinho will have his tactics influenced as much by the need to spoil the UAE team's fluidity, not letting them getting into their well oiled (excuse the pun) groove.

A lot will depend on whether we make our pysicality work for us. Pressing will be key. Not sure about Herrera's form but I'd like to see him look after deBruyne. We will have to get stuck in without losing our formation. If we need to bypass their midfield then so be it. With the right runs from Rashford and Martial, Pogba's pinball accuracy can undo their shaky defence. Expect our front lads to brutally expose Delph and Otamendi. Again we need to make our physicalty count especially from set pieces. We really need to start scoring more from free kicks and corners. Their weakness is that they can be unsettled and we have the players to make that happen. So we need to hit them fast and hard on the counter to expose that dodgy defence. And yes it is dodgy though their control and posession going forward is usually enough to mask this. I think we will score from a set piece. Would like to see Lukaku use his physicality for once to mow down the defence and smash a header home.

Mourinho is still building his team here. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves and want it all now, at once but he is still at the point of steadying the ship after the serious cluzterfecks of Moyes and Van Gal and we got to thank him for that. A draw would be no embarrassment but I think he'll play for the win.
  4. Nov 27, 2017

Scarlett Dracarys ( . Y . )

Our boys need to go out there and brawl. Show no signs of intimidation and play like champions. City's winning streak will end and hopefully it's our boys who can end it.
  5. Nov 27, 2017

Gasolin Full Member

In a game of that magnitude, I’d reserve Martial for the last 30mn to try to test their team. Rashford and Lingard to start first and focus on closing gaps, maybe counter a bit but Martial will be the real danger.

I would even go for Matic and Pogba behind to shut down passes and try to launch long passes, Fellaini in front to try to bring a position for headers and aerial control. Unless Mkhitaryan improves... he needs to. If he does, he’s our player for the last 30mn too.
  6. Nov 27, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

Play attacking game like Bournemouth did and we can win. They missed few easy chances and hit the woodwork before conceding late goal.

Hopefully we'll play attacking game rather than park the bus.
  7. Nov 27, 2017

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Play our own game to an extent. Not just play defending theirs.

My worry is that we'll play very cautiously and be sluggish with the ball. All that will end up in is them attacking us more when they win it back because of a pressured pass or nowhere to run to. Our defence has looked very good but I imagine is very susceptible to being pulled apart still.
  8. Nov 27, 2017

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Close down the space between the lines where De Bruyne and Silva operate by defending deep and then take advantage of set pieces and counters while trying to mantain possession to a reasonable standard so they don't suffocate your defense. Huddesfield showed the way and they were stopping City from creating chances, they just lacked the quality to keep the ball and counter as effectively as they should have.

First goal will be huge.
  9. Nov 27, 2017

ricky-romeo Full Member

very much this. hope Jose can be as ruthless as Sir Alex used to be especially against those sides who plays pretty and attractive football as they said. we dont need to go out there and try to match them pound for pound but we need to be strong and clever, i guess this game is not about being pretty but we need to stop them from playing, and it doesnt mean we have to park the bus.

guys like Tony v, Bailly, Rojo, Herrera or Fellaini, Pogba, Matic needs to be extra physical but we definitely need one of Lukaku or Rashford or Martial having one of those games of their career here to nick something. remember those days when we knew guys like Rooney or Scholes or Giggs or Ronaldo could just get a goal or two in those big games when they are so needed. our young forwards are still long way from reaching these guys level and this is the type of game that they need to turn up for a start.
  10. Nov 27, 2017

frank lee madeer.. Banned

It'll be an opening 10 mins of bravery where it looks like we can compete, if we don't score in that time period, we will spend the remaining 80 mins playing for a draw .
    Even if we lose the possession , & most teams will v citeh , we still have to have periods of the game where we boss it in order to create attacks , Jose doesn't seem to want to risk that, so unless he breaks protocol , I expect we will see more counterhoof & hope shitball.
  11. Nov 27, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

442 diamond.
  12. Nov 27, 2017

Moby Dick

Not start Mata or Mkhi. Both are disasters in such games and leave us with 10 men.
  13. Nov 27, 2017

Scarlett Dracarys ( . Y . )

Exactly but not too physical to draw red cards. That would be defeating the purpose. Just enough to shake them up...rattle their cages. They were rattled today but these mofos got so damned lucky :mad:
  14. Nov 27, 2017

Water Melon before it dries out, eh

Those were the days. Keane would have been a real cure though.
  15. Nov 27, 2017

D. Mungai New Member

Guys, do not worry Mourinho has a plan and he will execute it to perfection. We will beat City sound and clear. 4-2.
    Fellaini will start, all goal kicks and back passes clearance will be aimed at him. Almost half of city team will have been bypassed by that tactic. Then spread it to rashford for direct attack.
    Just who we did it with Van Gal.

Problem is the Watford game. If we drop points there, city game even if we win won't make much difference other than psychological one
  16. Nov 27, 2017

ManuMou Full Member

Don't think Jose will park the bus. Jose's park the bus system is greatly exaggerated by some fans here, and especially the media, creating a negative feedback loop.

Game plan could be like Chelsea home game last season.

1. Stability with midfield trio
    2. Keep it tight
    3. Counter
    4. High line (probably)
    5. Don't think man marking will work. KDB is not the only source of creativity/link, tho he is the biggest threat

I also think that Jose is replacing his "defensive 4-3-3" with a 3-5-2/3-4-3. So do not think we will see a 4-3-3. 4-2-3-1 is very unlikely for obvious reasons.

3-5-2 / 3-5-1-1

-------------------------Lukaku------------
    -----------Rash/Martial--------------------
    --------Pogba---------Herrera-------------
    Young----------Matic--------------Valencia
    ---------Bailly/Jones/Rojo/Smalling------- (in order, whoever is fit)

This sytem also brings the best of out of everyone
  17. Nov 27, 2017

Sagittarius13 New Member

Whatever the strategy may be, our team have to deliver the best performance of the season. Mou need to pick the right squad and be ready if we start losing.

This game will be won in midfield and if we can erase De Bruyne we can win. We need to be lethal in that game because I think they definitely will score against us.
  18. Nov 27, 2017

meamth Full Member

Absorb and then release, Huddersfield was close last night, until it's evident that their players aren't good enough to execute it.
    Pretty much like Inter did back in 2009 against Barca.
    That's the only way i think, there's no way we can play heads up against them.

But to point out how good this City squad at moment. Even if we bombard them early, they will turn it up at the 2nd half with waves of attack and that's when tired legs are evident (Huddersfield lost it at 80 minutes mark, couldn't last chasing the ball).

So this is when it gets tricky, against Chelsea we attack with all might so early on and then we lost that momentum due to tiredness. We got what we wanted back then, but this City side is more punishing.

It's either we reserve stamina for the first half absorbing, and then go all out in the 2nd, that might work, but it will be a double edged sword.
    Can't wait.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  19. Nov 27, 2017

saik New Member

Park that Mourinho special double decker bus and hope that we can sneak a goal from set-piece. The issue here is we are so useless with set-pieces.:lol: Never seen us put any corners to good use which is such a waste of so much height in the team.

I really really hope we have a go at them but I'm expecting we will see another performance similar to the one against Liverpool.
  20. Nov 27, 2017

Treble Full Member

In 2010, Inter played quite attacking at home and created many chances to win 3:1. Nothing like Huddersfield. No big team can afford to play like Huddersfield.
  21. Nov 27, 2017

Gopher Brown Full Member

Yet again, we are not going to be able to beat a good team playing the way we want to, but will have to resort to kicking them or being ultra defensive. It seems every other good team has a monopoly on playing how they want and it is us who have to cave into their demands.

We have had the same length of time, and comparable resources at our disposal, yet they are a long way ahead of us.
  22. Nov 27, 2017

Sentient Meat Full Member

Huddersfield looked much better once they went down a goal... I think their manager is good, but he started the bus much too early... it was like target practice with waves of City attackers coming at them and they didn't try to control the ball at all... just boot it to midfield over and over. I understood they were trying to preserve their shape, but the few times they got loose, they didn't even try to hold possession and it kept City fresh the entire game. Once, they had to catch up they didn't look overmatched... true, Kompany was gone so it made it easier to attack but I think they should have been a little more adventurous to begin with.
  23. Nov 27, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

Fully agree, except this time mark KDB out of the game. If we are going to play our usual defending game, trying to cut out the passing channels instead of closing down the player's time on the ball KDB is going to take us apart and we will get truly spanked.
  24. Nov 27, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

De Gea

Valencia - Bailly - Jones - Rojo - Young

Fellaini - Matic - Pogba

Lukaku - Rashford

Keep it similar to the Chelsea Home game from last season, just don’t think KDB will be as easy to man mark as Hazard was.
  25. Nov 27, 2017

Tanel New Member

De Gea
    Bailly, Jones, Rojo
    Valencia - Pogba - Matic - Young
    Herrera, Rashford, Miki

Herrera on pure destroyer role switching with Young between on Silva and KDB. Miki playing the free roaming role and Rashford for the runs behind.
  26. Nov 27, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Arsenal first, Then think of City...
  27. Nov 27, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

They leave themselves exposed at the back a lot of the time so I think we can catch them on the counter attack. They leave a lot of space so I would like to see us get the ball up the field quickly and use pacey players like Martial and Rashford to get in behind their back line. Delph is a big weakness at left back. He's done well fitting in so far but he's not up to much defensively and I don't think he's that quick. Also, their midfield is held together by one anchor man and that's Fernandinho. Overload the middle and get physical with them. Our full backs need to be at their best defensively to stop Sane/Sterling.
  28. Nov 27, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

Neutralise/Man mark KDB. Jose is a master at doing this against specific threats.

Play like we did against them for 70 minutes at the OT game. Think that is the best chance.
  29. Nov 27, 2017

Tanel New Member

Thing is, with Watford and Arsenal there don't need to be much tinkering, but just pure performance on pitch. With City the mind games might bring the points already.
  30. Nov 27, 2017

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Park the bus, hoof it long and pray.
  31. Nov 27, 2017

Pacificgi Full Member

I'd go with that except Lukaku for Rashford. Huddersfield were unlucky against City but they showed the way to set up against them - on another day they would have got a result. Packing the midfield with 3 at the back will make it difficult for City to play through us and they struggled against Huddersfield.

Could probably argue actually that Herrera may be a better fit for this one than Fellaini as silva and de bruyne are great at finding spaces high up the field and herrera is more adept at stopping that. The bonus of fellaini is playing him can make it easier to play higher up the pitch if hes played the furthest forward out of him pogba and matic as he can bring the ball down and bring others into the game. Previous games against big sides we've struggled with that and lukakus had very little to go off.

The key for us going forward would be the reliance on valencia and young getting forward at every opportunity, we cant be too defensive as we'll end up inviting pressure on us like the chelsea game where it felt like we were just waiting for them to score.

I can see jose playing two up front though which is positive and hopefully our strikers are on form because the city defence is there to be got at
  32. Nov 27, 2017

Jim Beam Full Member

Try to keep clean sheet, expose them on the counter and set pieces.

And yes, turn it into a brawl. Like Fergie did with Arsenal at the time.
  33. Nov 27, 2017

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Yes lets just leave our £70 million striker on the bench and not play the two best strikers at the club against the best team in the league.
  34. Nov 27, 2017

vi1lain caf sexpert

Yeah I think 3 in defence, and 2 up top. Herrera hounding KDB, and Matic intercepting passes between their attack and our defence.

We need Rashford more than Martial & Ibra for this, I think counter attack will be crucial especially on the flanks when their FB's push forward.

Get a goal on the break, and go again, no sitting back.
    As their frustrations build we bring on Fellaini and Ibra, and completely by pass their midfield to not give them a chance to play their game.
  35. Nov 27, 2017

Pacificgi Full Member

Its not a ridiculous suggestion playing both rashford and martial - its understandable
  36. Nov 27, 2017

I Believe everything Nigel Farage told me

We have to try to stop City playing, at least stop them getting the ball out wide and/or sliding through balls to their front men. This means, attempts at least, in m/marking on DeB and Silva, at least getting them stifled.
    Herrera/Matic need big games in this respect, so too Fellaini on Fernando (also try not to get himself sent off).
    Our counter will be focused around Pogba, we need a big, big performance from him, playing effectively and at times in a number 10 role, at least further up the pitch, where he can hurt City directly or with Lukaku and either Rashford or Martial linking up with him.
    I wouldn't risk either Mata or Myki, whilst both are skilful and can be creative neither are as skilful/creative as DeB/Silva and in every other respect they are light weight.

Our back four (preferably Valencia/Bailly/Rojo/Young) play in a tight group in the centre leave no spaces at all that DeB or Silva can exploit if they should managed to shake off the attentions of Herrera and Matic.

Strategy for defence; prevent Silva and DeB being effective to cut off supply to Jesus/Aguero, or out wide, to Sane/Sterling curtail full back overlaps, pin-back Fernando's late runs into the box,
    Strategy for attack everything through Pogba, or over the top/channels for Lukaku/Rashford or Martial.

If manage all that my son, we might have a chance! (4-3-1-2)
    Dea Gea
    Valencia/Bailly/Rojo/Young
    Herrea/ Fellaini/Matic
    Pogba
    Lukaku/ Rashford (or Martial)
  37. Nov 27, 2017

meamth Full Member

This. They scored a goal and tried to absorb their attack, which if they have better players could work. But, absorbing so much until Pep put Jesus in is mentally and physically demanding, the players are out of shape by then.

City's sharp short passes are the cruelest torture in football. Terrifying.
  38. Nov 27, 2017

meamth Full Member

Problem is City main weapon is not just him. We have Sane, Sterling and Kun Aguero to be dealt with. All three of them are neat and can playmaking with ease. Big problems for us.

Much worse is most of their deep long through balls are from Fernandinho, and if that's not enough Silva is out there keeping it neat.
  39. Nov 27, 2017

Chaky_Best Full Member

How to beat City ?

Try to play better than we are actually doing, be better with the ball cause we won't have much the ball. Guardiola knows that this game will finish once for all the PL and he will want to win it to show that he can destroy us even at home and show is superiority.

So how can we do ? Mourinho style as usual. Low 3-5-2 like we did last year against Chelsea at home. Probably one or two man marking and trying to take their CB with runs down the channels.

De Gea

Bailly
    Jones
    Rojo

Valencia
    Pogba ==> Man Mark on Silva
    Matic
    Herrera==> Man Mark on KDB
    Young

Lukaku (if not banned) or Ibra
    Rashford

Mourinho could (and probably will) go for Fellaini instead of Herrera but I think that in terms of use of the ball, we'll be better with Ander.

I really hope that we will win this game, but the Watford and Arsenal games are also very tricky
  40. Nov 27, 2017

IAmAWinner New Member

Physical from the start, make some real hard oldschool English brexit means brexit tackles from the 1st minute on their little midgets.
    Fellaini Matic Herrera Pogba all to start, long balls to Rashford/Martial and Lukaku. We will beat Citeh.