How to beat Watford?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by MZX7, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Nov 28, 2017

MZX7 @Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Inspired by the "How to beat City?" thread.

Is everyone feeling super confident that we will beat Watford and go undefeated at Arsenal?

Marco Silva and his Watford team are in good form and play decent football.

Considering we have Arsenal in 3 more days, how does Mourinho rotate to keep our players fresh?

I'm guessing Rashford won't start today considering he limped off against Brighton.

Will we improve on our away performances? We haven't won an away game since September!
  2. Nov 28, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

Well to improve on your away performances you have to first adjust your tactics. If you continually focused on defending then it becomes more difficult to switch over to attacking football. Against Watford, they will not sit back and will definitely go for the win, now the question will be, will Mourinho let the horses run or be happy not to loose.
  3. Nov 28, 2017

kg2k16 New Member

Start the game strong, score an early goal.
  4. Nov 28, 2017

Bojan11 Full Member

Arsenal won’t exactly be fresh too.

Let’s worry about winning today rather than who is going to be fresh for Saturday.

Watford defensively are not great. Everton scored 3 past them. I just hope Darmian does not play as Richarlison will be licking his lips. Tony V cannot be rested, if he needs to be then put Young on the right and Blind on the left.
  5. Nov 28, 2017

Mike09 Banned

Not criticise your thread but the fact that we are making this thread shows how bad is our away form. It's going to be a tough game because Watford is playing good this season but that's not an excuse not to get 3 points. We spent more money than Watford and in term of quality we have better players. We need a win if we want to press City and close our gap.
  6. Nov 28, 2017

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

If Valencia is going to be rested I’d like to see Tuanzebe play there. He’s quick and comfortable on the ball and has been played there before by Mourinho. Obviously know it won’t happen but it would be better than Darmian in a game where we need to be taking advantage of their poor defence.
  7. Nov 28, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Is this thread for real or it's meant to be a joke ?
  8. Nov 28, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

I agree, just shows you how we far we have fallen but after the last so many performances especially away you cannot say it isn't justified.
  9. Nov 28, 2017

Castia Full Member

Seems impossible for this team, the first 20 minutes we tend to be sleeping.
  10. Nov 28, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Win it before the final half an hour. I don't trust this team to score in the last 10/15 minutes like we were doing earlier in the season. When Zlatan comes on and we push Lukaku out wide, we look incredibly disjointed. I'd rather Zlatan went a bit deeper, or we go with 2 up top. Or even bring off Lukaku for Zlatan if he's having a stinker.
  11. Nov 28, 2017

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

1. Don’t underestimate them
    2. Play to our strengths
    3. Don’t put Lindelöf up against deeney
  12. Nov 28, 2017

ROFLUTION Full Member

Play Rojo instead of Lindelöf
  13. Nov 28, 2017

el3mel Full Member

Watford is a good team but let's not get carried away about them.
  14. Nov 28, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

Score more goals than them.
  15. Nov 28, 2017

Norris Full Member

Copy the same posts we have in the How to beat City thread and paste them here.
  16. Nov 28, 2017

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    It's impossible, we cannot beat the mighty watford.

Seriously though, how can Manchester United beat Watford; show up to the game?
  17. Nov 28, 2017

Zoo Full Member

Read the matchday thread?
  18. Nov 28, 2017

prtk0811 Banned

:lol:.

With 3 at the back.
  19. Nov 28, 2017

anant Full Member

Are you fecking kidding me! We're 2nd in the league and have gone off to one of our strongest starts to a season in PL era.
  20. Nov 28, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    I'm aware this may be a tongue-in-cheek thread, but seeing as it's here I'll give it a go anyway.

From what I've seen of Watford this season, I've interpreted their style of play as retain the ball moving it quickly side to side and pull defenders out of position and then aggressively attack the space with the likes of Richarlison, and get runners from midfield to arrive late in the box supporting the attacks.

So I would say:
    • Pin the FB's back, possibly go with Martial and Rashford as a result as Watford will be especially wary about leaving these high up the pitch unmarked for possible countering opportunities. This will hopefully force Holebas and Fermenia to sit deeper and prevents Watford creating an overload in the middle, making it more difficult to retain possession and recycle the ball with less bodies around the midfield area.
    • Aggressively press the midfield 3 (notably Cleverley and now Hughes). This should prevent them having time on the ball to be able to switch the play side-to-side, meaning they have to recycle the ball shorter and contribute to more phases when trying to switch the play quickly, giving United more time to shuffle across and keep their defensive shape.
    • Match the energy form the midfield (links in to the above) and track the runners.
    • Put Valencia tight on Richarlison. He's the main danger so prevent him getting the ball in any sort of space. Valencia is quick, powerful and has a great engine so Richarlison will probably struggle to get by him much.
  21. Nov 28, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

We are Manchester United ffs. We have spent a lot of money, and have a lot of quality in our side.

Go out and play to our potential and we'll win.
  22. Nov 28, 2017

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    I don't think anyone is debating that, but looking at our current league position and watching the football we are serving up are two very different things.

The start against Newcastle was abysmal. We were a disaster the first 25 minutes and made Shelvey look like a class act. We could, and should have been 2 down before we even woke up. How it wasn't then 2-2 at half time is down to pure luck.

Brighton was truly awful football. Again they created better chances and never looked remotely like scoring until a proper gammy deflection gave us a lead. Again, Brighton looked more likely to score in the closing minutes. We were at home on both occasions FFS.

Our performance at Chelsea was dross (and Chelsea don't even look that good) , I'd go as far as to say we looked more potent in the game we lost 4-0 last season. Huddersfield was another rank bad performance as was the second half away at Basel. We got a draw away to Stoke, a side that are getting rolled over left, right and centre...

So yeah. We are second, just about clinging on to the threads of cities coat tails. Should we wish to stay in touch, or close that gap performances like that need to get fecked off, rapidly. Start like we did against Newcastle at Arsenal or at home to City the game could be gone by halftime. Serve up the kind of bile we managed against Huddersfield or Basel second half we will be lucky to walk off the pitch with anything tonight.

We've done alright to be where we are so far, but performances need to improve and we can't afford to be carrying some of the passengers we have thus far. It's time to start putting complete performances in. I don't think it's wrong to express concern in that regard pal.
  23. Nov 28, 2017

Marcky411 Full Member

Relax, you should've also read what I was responding to. Someone questioning if this thread was a joke or for real, asking "How to beat Watford"
  24. Nov 28, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

As with most teams United face we need to respect the opposition while believing we are the better team and will get the result if we do the right things.

Specifically for Watford we need solidity at the back, so unless Lindelof has turned into some ice-veined badass in training over the past week unbeknownst to anybody outside the club we go with Rojo/Smalling. As others have said Tony V plays if fit and firing with Young on the left, if not it's Young and Blind.

Assuming Mkhi reacted positively to his public dressing down this week I'd be tempted to reintroduce him at 10 to see if he benefits from having Pogba behind him again. Matic screening behind with Pogba, Martial, Mkhi and hopfully Rashford getting creative in and around the box to feed Lukaku sounds good to me.
  25. Nov 28, 2017

stygg Full Member

Would've loved to see a physical team tonight as they sent Tony M to hospital.

De Gea
    Tony V - Smalling - Rojo - Young
    Pogba - Matic
    Rashford - Zlatan - Tony M
    Lukaku​
  26. Nov 28, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Easier said then done though, Watford by all rights should have beat Chelsea as well, did beat Arsenal, got a point against Liverpool, they've achieved results against the top sides so it's not always a case of 'just play our game and we should win we're better than them'.

Even City had to make tactical adjustments of sorts against Watford (overloading one-side and forcing them narrower).
  27. Nov 28, 2017

Yes overloading the left could work tonight but if Tony V doesn't come through we have a dilemma over whether to move Young over, undermining our lefthand as an attacking outlet, or play Darmian on the right.
  28. Nov 28, 2017

Sly Hang Ten Scout

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    This is pointless since it's Mourinho but don't sit back. Silva's main flaw at Sporting was the defensive setup, so United has to exploit that. Even if their season has been impressive, defense wise Watford is average. Focus on the left side of the defense if Zeegelaar plays. He's useless defending, constantly out of position and a poor tackler. It's not decent game against an out of form shite Newcastle that's going to turn him into a good player.
  29. Nov 28, 2017

Lash Full Member

Supports:
    Millwall, Saint-Etienne
    Stick Fellaini on Doucoure and stop him driving forward. Bar that, we should be winning the individual battles all over the pitch. I don't particularly rate any of their defenders for their defensive contributions, so Lukaku, Rashford, Martial or Ibra should be able to cause them a lot of problems.
  30. Nov 28, 2017

Blatzo Full Member

We're going to score 4
  31. Nov 28, 2017

DannyCAFC Full Member

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Yeah I'm not suggesting United do this necessarily (I made a post previous with some ideas about how to counter Watford's threat), Valencia isn't really good enough going forward for United to do what City did and they don't have anybody who's a natural wide-right player either. Maybe try it on the other side with Martial/Rashford and the sort of form Young is in?
  32. Nov 28, 2017

Ban Full Member

Where's How to beat Arsenal thread?
  33. Nov 28, 2017

Sly Hang Ten Scout

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Is there a need for that? It's Arsene i mean
  34. Nov 28, 2017

Aye if we overload a flank to attack it's the left no question. The worry is if Tony V and Rashford don't come through that leaves some combo of Darmian/Lingard/Mata/Mhki which even if we're not going to use it as our main attacking outlet looks very poor to me, hence someone earlier mooting the idea of switching Young to the right.
  35. Nov 28, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

This is going to be a tough game and IF we win it will be marginally, so we will have to take every chance we get. I would say 2-1 to us, with a bit of luck. I think we need to play ground football with speed to beat them but Mourinho may have other ideas.
  36. Nov 28, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

Its' Troy Deeney and Marco Silva, not Messi and Guardiola ffs.
  37. Nov 28, 2017

Smores Full Member

After a few bad years you'd have thought our fans wouldn't be so ridiculously precious. 2nd in the league and wondering how on earth we can beat watford :lol:
  38. Nov 28, 2017

TheOrgazoid Banned

But how can we beat The Horny Hornets?
  39. Nov 28, 2017

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    Yeah you're right, the latter would smash us at the moment, whilst the former will just be confident that they have what it takes to get something out of this game.
  40. Nov 28, 2017

anant Full Member

Apologies, didn't get the sarcasm there.
    Considering the pessimism among our fans, I honestly will not be shocked to see someone say the exact same thing seriously