How would you rate Kane out of 10 for the World Cup

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by RedTillI'mDead, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jul 11, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Can't take anything away from the fact that but for his nerve, we'd likely not have reached a semi-final.

Can't say I'd be that cool taking pressure penalties for my country.
  2. Jul 11, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

3. Jul 11, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

5 or 6. Disappointed this tournament.
  4. Jul 11, 2018

thegregster Harbinger of new information

If he passed to Sterling England go 2-0 and are in the final.
    A very selfish player at times-which so many top class CF are.
    No surprise Lukaku gets more assists than him.
  5. Jul 11, 2018

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Ok so all you have is a quote from a guy called Wumminator (not a Spurs fan as far as I know) who doesn't say that he is better than Neymar. Nice one mate you really showed me. Then you basically roll out a 'Glastonspur probably said it' which essentially just sums up some people on this site. Glastonspur probably said something ridiculous like that - which he probably didn't - and suddenly it's 'some spurs fans' or 'most spurs fans' and before you know it we are all getting flamed on here for nothing.
  6. Jul 11, 2018

marktan Full Member Scouse Lover

I think it's harsh to be only rating Kane, why not rate the rest of the squad? Yeah he missed an easy chance today and didn't really do anything, but he's had a good tournament overall. Great penalties and that Columbia match where he held the ball up really well. I'd give him a 7.5.
  7. Jul 11, 2018

SuperiorXI Full Member

I'll give him a 7, went missing when we needed him tonight. Had he shown up would have been an 8 or 9.
  8. Jul 11, 2018

Jeppers7 Full Member

Think he'd get found out a Real Madrid.
  9. Jul 11, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

6. Got worse as the games got tougher. Snatched at everything tonight. Decent, but not great.

Trippier was our best player by a distance IMO.
  10. Jul 11, 2018

Yagami Full Member

Scored some crucial goals, dragged us on vs Colombia, kept his cool when everyone was heated, started us off in the penalty shootout. Even today, when coming deep, he could've had an assist or two (I think) but our other attackers failed to control his through balls.

The only problem was his lack of presence in general play, but I think that might come down to Southgate. I have no idea why he was deeper than Sterling 90% of the time.
  11. Jul 11, 2018

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

If he'll help his team against Belgium, I'll give him solid 8.

This time his nose wasn't offside you trolls, haters & naysayers. :lol:
  12. Jul 11, 2018

ROFLUTION Full Member

How on earth he got 6 goals is a mystery to me. 3 penalties, 1 lucky punch and 2 tap-ins (Good positioning).

Edit: Maybe 6-7 with his good penalty against Columbia.
  13. Jul 11, 2018

Jib Full Member

5/10
    Penalkane
  14. Jul 11, 2018

Wiltord02 Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal

Smashed the dross but gradually faded as the games went on.

Seemed to drop back into the dreaded Rooney playmaker role and become virtually useless.
  15. Jul 11, 2018

Heardy Full Member

Good overall play, but goals stats /potential golden boot inflated by penalties. dont get me wrong he still has ti score them and i respect that but hed get more plaudits had they been from open play.

Good tournament no doubt but lacking the flare to get player of the tournament which i think will go to Mbappe.

7.5/10.
  16. Jul 11, 2018

Reiver Full Member

I'm not sure about his overall fitness. If he wins the golden boot, it must rank as one of the worst ever collection of goals to win it, not that it matters. Feel he has shown leadership though. 6 out of 10?
  17. Jul 11, 2018

11101 Full Member

5. No goals from open play, and barely had a shot beside that. He's had a huge free pass because of the goal tally but he has been poor relative to the rest of the team.
  18. Jul 11, 2018

spiriticon Full Member

Excellent target man, shit striker. 7/10
  19. Jul 11, 2018

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Started off well, but in the KO stages he seemed to be dropping deeper and deeper. Maybe he was told to, maybe he was just trying to influence the game more, maybe he was just trying to do it all himself, maybe partially due to being captain.
  20. Jul 11, 2018

cyberman Full Member

If you combine the top two goal scorers of this WC, 9 out of their 10 goals came against Panama and Tunisia
  21. Jul 11, 2018

Ace of Spades Full Member

22. Jul 11, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

I didn't say Glaston probably said it. He did say it. @GlastonSpur

And a Spurs fan made the 1st post on the top of the page...like I said. I know Wumminator is a United fan.

But I'll give in. You guys do get ridiculed a lot on here :D
  23. Jul 11, 2018

Primativ New Member

As a Spurs fan that wasn't the real Kane at the world cup. Yes, he took ice cool penalties but the lack of a proper play maker for Kane hindered him hugely.

Why on earth Kane was playing in a deep midfield role it must have been tactical Kane was practically having to create stuff for the team. Alli, Lingard and Sterling just not of the required level yet.

Typical English to make their best player the scape goat. Without Kane England would have been home weeks ago.

Yes Kane should have done better with his chances but it happens to every player. Fine margins. He wasn't himself tonight.
  24. Jul 11, 2018

rpitroda Full Member

It’s hard to know if he was dropping deep all the time due to the tactics from Southgate and the team or whether he just wasn’t executing his role properly.

For me, lucky to get the goal tally he’s on due to penalties and some lucky goals. Impressed how he handled himself and kept his composure. Likeable guy. Sadly got worse as the games got more important and tougher. Positionally he didn’t do his job, caveated potentially by the point above. Held the ball well and brought others into play. Clearly a leader in this team and sets a good example.

His goal tally is flattering but I think in many ways he was very good. Perhaps a 7-7.5.
  25. Jul 11, 2018

rpitroda Full Member

I don’t think it’s a widely backed view that Kane is being made a shape goat. I don’t see many who are blaming him.
  26. Jul 11, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

27. Jul 11, 2018

FootyGirl88

A what? :lol:
  28. Jul 11, 2018

cyberman Full Member

I once said Kane had a better year than Neymar if that's what he meant?
    Kane was top goal scorer in Europe in a calendar year with Spurs scoring a goal a game while Neymar had a below his standard last season at Barca.
    Its not that bad of a point to make!
    I still say Kane is the best number 9 in football when he's not picking the ball up from the back 4
  29. Jul 11, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

Pulled a massive con job this tournament.
  30. Jul 11, 2018

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

31. Jul 11, 2018

Tony Babangida New Member

7. Missed the chance when it mattered but led the team from the penalty spot. Captain that broke the penalty loss streak.
  32. Jul 11, 2018

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

Probably a 6/10 for me. Don't think he scored anything you wouldn't really expect any other half-decent striker to score, and he went missing tonight when England needed someone to lead by example, which as captain, and probably the only player in the squad to ever be discussed as being among the very best, should have been him. He did step up and set the tone in the penalty shoot-out though, and although a few of his goals were from the spot, I don't think you can be overly harsh on him when he was the one winning them, or any player going into the final weekend as the favourite to be the top scorer in a world cup.

In all honesty, I think England ultimately fell short because they didn't really have a stand-out player. Pickford's performances were a pleasant surprise, but as we know with our own keeper, there's only so much the man between the sticks can do. Trippier was a surprise for me too, because I think there were some question marks over his inclusion as the right sided full-back/wing-back at the expense of Kyle Walker being shifted inside. Again though, only so much a defender can do.

Kane did reasonably well, but that was about it. Lingard was a credit to himself, but will never be difference maker on his own, I don't think. At least not in the sense that he'll get other players fired up. Sterling looked dangerous in pretty much every game right up until he had to make a decision or execute his final ball. Alli, to me, was England's worst player. Henderson did his job, and perhaps more competently than we thought he might, but again, he's not a match-winner.
  33. Jul 11, 2018

ravi2 Full Member

5, he really should have done better today
  34. Jul 11, 2018

MJJ Full Member

Happy?
  35. Jul 11, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    6. If you discounted penalties (Which I don't think you should do, because they're not easy to score and still require composure) I'd say a 5.

He never really looked a threat from open play throughout the entire tournament. Weirdly, the tactic seemed to be to have Kane deep in order to hold the ball up and win fouls. It made sense to a degree, but it also meant that one of the world's best players in the penalty box rarely ever actually got the ball there, which is criminal. I can't see how this wasn't a tactical decision by Southgate, Kane would be furthest forward if it was left up to him as he's a player who adores scoring goals, full stop.

His all round game was pretty good, excellent against Colombia where I thought he was the best player on the pitch, but never exceptional aside from that game. He did well, but not brilliantly, against Sweden and was nowhere near involved enough today. He also missed what is by his standards a very good chance, the header too you'd expect a striker of his calibre to do better with. These are the standards he's set with his performances for us, so when he fails to live up to them he will understandably be criticised, he gets praised to high heaven when he's playing well so it's only fair.

Don't think he gelled well with Lingard and Sterling (may have been better to have him furthest forward and Alli just behind) but he did have a few nice layoffs, a few good passes out wide etc. His two goals against Tunisia were the pinnacle of his tournament sadly, he wasn't much involved that game but he did his job as a striker to perfection, clinically taking his chances which he failed to do tonight. Overall, a disappointment. His success from the spot saved what could have been a really poor tournament, but I do think that Southgate failed to utilise him properly, there was very little service in to him and I don't see him playing so deep as a personal decision. That doesn't absolve Kane though, with the few moments he had he needed to do better.
  36. Jul 11, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

For clarity

Erikson > Whole England Team
  37. Jul 11, 2018

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

The rest of the squad are not rated at £150m or even close.

Also I don't think there would be scope for much disagreement.

Think only debate might be Sterling where some would give him a 7/8 for energy levels and I'd give him a 2 for having the worst end product of any player at the world cup. I literally can't think of one move or one chance that he didn't fcuk up.

The rest of the players were probably on par or ahead of par.

Kane is hard to rate, because you are weighing up fantastic output to terrible all round contribution.

For all round play Id give Kane a 4, for finishing even taking this game into account he is probably at least an 8. Didn't miss much from very few opportunities.

To be honest I forgot his deflected goal, which added to 3 pens really does make this the worst golden boot winner ever, assuming there isn't some splurge of goals in the final.

Does 3rd/4th game count for goals?
  38. Jul 11, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

6, but only because he scored 6. Should be giving him 5 really.
  39. Jul 11, 2018

TheFlagStaysDown Banned

Supports:
    Shamrock rovers
    6 for the goals, scorign pen should be a guarantee for any striker, didnt offer much more, and from captain I also expect more
  40. Jul 11, 2018

El Zoido Full Member

He doesn’t look top class when it really matters. Way too hyped by English media.