I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by CA1, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Nov 22, 2018

Bilbo Full Member

Its ridiculous. My mate owns a bar in Thailand and gets every game (EVERY GAME) for a fraction of what Sky charge - I cancelled sky 2 months ago out of principle and I don't miss it. I get phones calls and letters from them every other day offering me lower and lower prices to come back. If it stays at this rate in 3 months time they will be paying me to have it.

As with most things, people power is the only way to change the state of football in the UK. If we all stop paying for it things will change.
  2. Nov 22, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I pay a slightly lower price than normal, about 16 months left at that price, but it was not HD, anyway now it is, but they have charged me an extra £2 a month to get that. They should be giving me HD to keep me, not charging me even more, for no F.A. Cup, no CL, no EL, no La Liga. They don't even show the Dutch league any longer. They will shoot themselves in the foot at this rate. For that I want the top games every week, I know they have to show the other teams as well, but it really isn't good enough. I am not that interested in the Chinese League, in fact I have NO interest in the Chinese League, or the MLS, Rooney being there added slight interest. It is an overprice shoddy product.
  3. Nov 22, 2018

JMack1234 Full Member

I don't agree with people on here when it comes to the 3pm kick off rule but Sky are certainly in trouble. The media landscape is changing everywhere and of course the way we watch football will change with it.
  4. Nov 22, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Right. That’s it. I’m cancelling too. Been stewing about doing it for ages. That’s me pushed over the edge now. Mental to keep paying for football when I don’t even enjoy watching my own team play any more.
  5. Nov 22, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

Football TV coverage in England is a massive scam. They provide nothing of value and the only reason people pay is because of a monopoly/duopoly. There's also huge amounts of corruption/nepotism, as well as a lack of innovation. You know they are doing a bad job when half the audience would prefer the pundits to go away and the commentary to be off.
  6. Nov 22, 2018

Gah. I’m such a pushover. Yer man on the phone knocked 45 quid off my bill to keep Sky Sports and I agreed. Like a sucker :(
  7. Nov 22, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

A month? That's pretty good tbf.

Although you could look at it that even without Sky Sports you can generally knock a good bit off the bill when you renew.
  8. Nov 22, 2018

I was paying 109 per month (:eek:) but he reduced it to 64. Still a ludicrous sum of money to spend in order to have your weekends repeatedly ruined.
  9. Nov 22, 2018

Not too bad. My VM is 80 a month right now with no extra subs.

Saying that I usually ring them every time I'm close to renewal and tell them I'm leaving to join Sky and then end up getting it half price for 10 months or something. Can't even get Sky in my apartment bloc. VM are literally all that's available.
  10. Nov 22, 2018

Oh man. Sympathies. My inlaws have VM. The UI on their box is a pig to use!
  11. Nov 22, 2018

it is shocking, yeah, but their internet is brilliant and i mostly use the internet anyway. I only keep the TV because they literally keep giving me it for pittance every time I say I'm cancelling and because my stupid bitch girlfriend wants to watch reality tv
  12. Nov 22, 2018

:lol:

I can’t cut the tie completely for similar reasons. My stupid kids are addicted to Amazing World of Gumball (so am I tbf)
  13. Nov 22, 2018

Hugh Jass Full Member

13 a month is very good value. Over a premier league season, which is about ten months, that would be 130 euros. That is what i wish it was all the time. It is affordable.

In ireland though it is a tenner for a day pass, which is a rip off.
  14. Nov 22, 2018

MoXoM New Member

It is great value - shame it is only for a month though.

NowTV did offer Sky Sports as a one-off cost of £179 at the start of the season for 10 months (equivalent to £17.90 a month) but I didn't have the funds at the time to take up the offer...
  15. Nov 22, 2018

Just had an email offering me LFCTV for half price for 12 months.
  16. Nov 22, 2018

Bilbo Full Member

The thing I miss most about Sky is the planner, and being able to pause the TV. I've got Netflix and Amazon so more content than I'll ever get time to watch. I was bummed about missing the Mosconi Cup in a couple of weeks but now I'm going to it anyway so its all good.
  17. Nov 22, 2018

Glaswegian New Member

I don't have Sky or BT, I stream from other places :nervous:

I just don't see the point in paying for something when I'm only interested in United games and I won't get all of them. I'd buy MUTV if they showed the games.
  18. Nov 22, 2018

fezzerUTD New Member

MUTV is advertised on talksport at 50% off for 12 months on Sky.
  19. Nov 22, 2018

I know I took that offer nearly a year ago. That was why I was amused at being offered LFCTV.
  20. Nov 22, 2018

Hugh Jass Full Member

That would be the ideal offer. I currently get sky sports through the ps3 using my fathers account. He is paying between sky and bt, about 1000 a year, which i would never dream of paying and i have the money to do it, i just think it is a complete rip off.

I will keep an eye on nowtv. If i could get sky and bt using now tv for 400 a year given the new deal between the two, that would be good.
  21. Nov 22, 2018

Bola Full Member

And it regularly 'drops' to below standard definition. When I watch films or box sets, it goes all blurry for 30secs - happens very 15 mins or so*

*on different devices and in different locations, so unlikely to be a fault on my end
  22. Nov 22, 2018

PoTMS Full Member

Anyone know where I can get a cheap IPTV subscription? I've heard eBay is the place to go for it but there's so many different sellers, it's hard to choose one.
  23. Nov 22, 2018

M16Red New Member

Ebay. Hhhmm.. look the world has changed you dont need a satellite to get all the games, you just need a point in the right direction.

Some of the costs in the post above are crazy, Ive not had sky in 15 years and been able to watch to every game in the last 7 ish years. IM me if you a point in the right direction.
  24. Nov 22, 2018

beedoubleyou Full Member

Yep. Better quality at illegal sites.
  25. Nov 24, 2018

Ayush_reddevil Full Member

Now tv was available for 179 pounds for 9 months over black Friday but I am glad that I didn't go for it . Every single big team in Europe is playing today . Sky sports has Rotherham vs Shef United and Brentford Vs Middlesbrough today . Oh I also get Arsenal Bournemouth,Wolves Huddersfield and Burnley Newcastle next 2 weeks . Madness
  26. Nov 24, 2018

fezzerUTD New Member

Shambles of a lineup for today, im so glad i dont pay (much) for sky.
  27. Nov 24, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

Anywhere good? The usual r/soccerstreams doesn't cut it anymore. Never get a reliable one these days.
    PM if so please!
  28. Nov 24, 2018

Blueman New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Seriously?! Wtf no none else can get a look in, build a fan base, become as big? Just keep the same old established teams at the forefront? That's hopefully dissapearing nowadays
  29. Dec 1, 2018

fezzerUTD New Member

Today again no 12.30 game, leeds vs someone instead :nono:
  30. Dec 1, 2018

Vadim Full Member

Good, the SkyBet is far more interesting than the Premier League.

Better than Man City v Cannon Fodder. Or Cardiff v Wolves.
  31. Dec 1, 2018

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I must be the only person that likes Sky :lol:.
  32. Dec 1, 2018

fezzerUTD New Member

Fair point. Might try get myself through a match.
  33. Dec 1, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member Scouse Lover

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Cardiff v Wolves was a pretty good match. Entertaining.
  34. Dec 1, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Grass is always greener, I suppose.
  35. Dec 1, 2018

Flying_Heckfish Full Member

An actual "Super Sunday" worth the name tomorrow, finally
  36. Dec 1, 2018

Gentleman Jim It's absolutely amazing!

Supports:
    city
    Not defending Sky totally as they have many faults but they are restricted in what they can show by contract limitations.
    Each team has to be shown a certain number of times so they tend to feature bottom half teams more in the first half of the season when those teams still have some aspirations and squad depth.
    Brighton v Newcastle in April would be a bit of a turkey if shown
    Also, in the week before CL European matches the participants can't play on Sundays I think.
  37. Dec 1, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

The thing that really winds me up is not that I'm paying nearly £100 a month, it's that I'm paying nearly £100 a month and still have to sit through a ton of adverts.

Of the 15 min halftime break, how much of that is replay/analysis and how much is adverts?
  38. Dec 1, 2018

Judas Open to offers

I feel like the analysis portion of the halftime break has got even short over the last few years. Genuinely feel like its about 4-5 at the very most, and the rest is adverts.
  39. Dec 7, 2018

Kinsella New Member

Has anyone signed up to Eleven Sports yet? If so, what's it like?

I already have an Amazon Fire stick with Kodi installed so I can watch many matches online that way, but can someone with IPTV send me a pm on how to get it; or on which is the best/most reliable provider? Cheers.
  40. Dec 7, 2018

jeff gurr New Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    I went to IPTV three years ago. No regrets at all !
    $150.00 a year and I get all the games & that include Sky, BT, TSN and Sportsnet.
    No going back for me.