1. We are delighted to have been nominated for Best Forum in The Football Blogging Awards. You can vote for us on their website here and via twitter here. You can read the caf thread here. Thanks to anyone who votes for us.
    Dismiss Notice

I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by CA1, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Apr 15, 2019

lsd Full Member

It wasn't a pen and everyone said that including Peter Walton the guest referee
  2. Apr 15, 2019

lukepowell1988 New Member

I would follow suite and cancel them all and start streaming but I have tried basically every streaming provider and they all buffer from time to time.

If I am going to sit and watch a game I want to focus on the game buffering ruins it.
  3. Apr 15, 2019

GledTheRed Full Member

I cancelled last July, felt amazing!
  4. Apr 15, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I haven't had sky for about 5 years and haven't missed it at all. Way too expensive.
  5. Apr 15, 2019

GNRfan New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Cancelled Sky Sports because they couldn't give me a discount. I believe they are no longer generous with the discounts, although you might get lucky and get a significant drop if you keep trying.
    I'm sure there will be offers coming in before the new footie season starts. :D
  6. Apr 15, 2019

clarkydaz Full Member

that's the thing, if you go back as a new customer you will likely get a better deal anyway
  7. Apr 15, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    One thing I dislike on a Sunday is there being a 30-45 minute gap between the two games. What's worse is the pub I usually watch the game in usually has music on so can't even hear the build up.

It was much better when first game kicked off at 2pm and then as soon as that finished the 4pm game was about to kick off. Even 4.15pm would've been fine.
  8. Apr 15, 2019

rcoobc Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Supports:
    Free Speech
    I think BT Sport killed it - or the Premier League did - when they started putting category A matches on a Sunday at 12:45. Who wants to watch a big match at 12:45?

It was best when the biggest two games of the weekend were on the Sunday.

Spurs vs United followed by Chelsea vs Liverpool
    then next week, United vs Liverpool followed by Tottenham vs Arsenal
    then next week, United vs Arsenal followed by Chelsea vs Tottenham

There are 30 matches between the 6 big clubs each season. If you do 2 of them each Sunday, you're only going to have 15 Sundays of content, so you do need to spread them out a bit.

But even so.
  9. Apr 15, 2019

Lemur New Member

Ferdinand and Keown alone are better than anyone on Sky PL coverage. BT only falls down with some of their guests like Gerrard.

Sky on the other hand, with Neville, who is gash always bashing United players then turning up in the stands wanting to talk to them.

Nothing needs to be said about that weasel Carragher.
  10. Apr 15, 2019

M16Red New Member

Okay, wow. Stop wasting money on a rubbish service.... Sly is ... cr*p.
  11. Apr 15, 2019

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Here in canada the monopoly of footy on tsn and sportsnet is done after this season.

Da Zone bought the rights for 3 seasons and already have champions league. 15 dollars a month or 150 a year.

Includes replays and highlight shows.
  12. Apr 15, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

What annoys me is that in England we have to pay a premium to watch the game and its played in this country. Go to Australia or Canada and you get every game for pocket change. Go up to the local pub and watch the game over a pint and a bit of banter, better off.
  13. Apr 15, 2019

RC89 Full Member

Didn't even know this but there you go.
  14. Apr 15, 2019

Hugh Jass Full Member

This a hundred fecking percent. 800 a year for sky sports in ireland. 150 a year in canada according to the poster above you. Sickening really.
  15. Apr 15, 2019

Green_Red Full Member

The only thing sky know is profit margins. Hit them were it hurts. Why the feck would we participate in paying some of them cnuts the salary their on when all we care about is the actual games themselves. If everyone cancelled the price wouldn't be long coming down...
  16. Apr 15, 2019

Kharhaz New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I cancelled my Virgin Media about 3 years ago. I havent missed it at all. Think about it, we pay for a TV License to watch TV, then to watch what we actually want to watch we need to pay for a subscription to sky, virgin whatever for a lot of rubbish we wont actually watch just for the chance to watch the football we want, however it doesnt work like that. You pay a sub to these but then you now have to pay extra for sky sports to watch the football. Okay, we pay that bit extra but lo and behold not all the football is there, as BT have some, so, you have to pay a little extra more for a BT sub to watch as well. Thats TV Licence, Virgin Media (in my case) Sky Sports and BT. And how many people have fallen for the paying for your clubs channel as well sub only to learn they have no rights at all to show their own team in action! Oh and lets not forget, the 3pm saturday kick-offs are a no go as well!

Feck that, I cancelled the lot, even the TV licence. Feck em, they have had enough out of me for a shit service that doesnt come close to justifying the money I forked out. Thank christ for streaming.
  17. Apr 16, 2019 at 06:33

Judas Open to offers

Why do people sit and get angry at the pundits before or after a game? Just turn it off.
  18. Apr 16, 2019 at 07:57

sokol11 Full Member

In our small country the full (mega) TV package that includes 150+ channels and lots of sport/football channels - not just most of the Premier League games (all big games - 4-5 simultaneous games across different channels if games on the same time) but all the big leagues, Seria A, La Liga, Bundesliga, Champions League, WC, Euros etc. costs approx. 70 EUR a month. And we still find the total package expensive...
  19. Apr 16, 2019 at 10:05

stubie Full Member

My 12 month offer with Sky ends this week so hopefully they can offer me an attractive package at a reasonable price otherwise I may opt for the Now TV route
  20. Apr 16, 2019 at 10:56

mitchmouse Full Member

I agree about Carragher but Neville is possibly the best pundit out there. Besides Rio, BT's are - in my opinion - truly embarrassing and that includes Scholes who is dull as hell
  21. Apr 16, 2019 at 11:10

Robbo's Shoulder Full Member

Supports:
    United and Barrow AFC
    Change will only happen if more and more cancel subs to the likes of sky and bt which i do see happening more frequently than in the past, i know a few who've cancelled sky this year. I've threatened to leave on many occasions over the years but always bought into the lower price i've been offered and think that as a victory only for the price to go back up after that short period. It's only this year i've actually done it and my viewing experiance is much happier because of it.
  22. Apr 16, 2019 at 12:51

neilv93 New Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Having read this entire thread I've surmised one key takeaway: get IPTV.

For what it's worth, besides the Carra-GNev combo, I detest most of Sky's punditry. Watching Sounness scowl over Pogba whenever we're on this season has wound me up most. As many others have said already, Sky Sports is quickly becoming the conglomerate spin-off to LFCTV. It's easy to say "just mute it" or whatever but it feels like a big part of the "match experience" having the commentary on but I can't stand most of them on there - and even Martin Tyler is getting unbearable now.

BT isn't much better either but I love their CL coverage with James Richardson, Raf Honigstein, James Horncastle and Julien Laurens (in the group stage), whilst their coverage of the BuLi and Ligue 1 is enjoyable, despite me not watching it enough. Only thing keeping me with Sky in the meantime is the NBA rights, but even then it's only about 4/5 games a week at (obviously) stupid o'clock given the UK time difference.

Bottom line is, Sky and BT are astronomically expensive.