1. United Hour Podcast: The First Wobble
    Dismiss Notice

I Enjoyed That

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by ivaldo, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Aug 11, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

After an electric start we struggled to put our mark on the game, but in the second half we were largely dominant.

Jose clearly spoke to the lads at half time and we came out playing much higher up the pitch, which i think was the game plan from the off. As a result, we restricted Leicesters chances and had the lions share of possession, while still creating ourselves. AP, Fred and Pogba were significantly better than their counterparts, and for the most part, our centrebacks were pretty solid. The forwards were off but it will come.

The complaints will be able the style, which again in the second half was pretty good. Only a lack of finishing restricted us from winning convincingly.

Let's be positive about this.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. Aug 11, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

Yes, lot of positives. Many players were quoted saying they had been wokring with Carrick and McKenna. That fills me with little optimism for the season. Players have jjust returned and they need time if we're going to show any change in how we play.
  3. Aug 11, 2018

vangagal Full Member

#metoo
  4. Aug 11, 2018

Robbie Boy Full Member

Can’t say it was an enthralling match to watch but there were some positives. I still feel we let Leicester play far too much at times and dropped the tempo after a lively start.
  5. Aug 11, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

Still very narrow from our right and defensively vulnerable to boot, classy looking central midfield, mostly solid centre backs and Shaw was a dream.
  6. Aug 11, 2018

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Yeah we let Leicester have too many opportunities, and we looked rusty going forward. But I enjoyed that too. 37 more games like that and we'll be champs...:p
  7. Aug 11, 2018

izec Full Member

We do it most of the time after taking a lead, let a team take control of the game when in reality we should press more, dominate possession and go for the kill. We are far too passive and shrink when the pressure goes up from the opponent
  8. Aug 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

If Shaw can carry on like that and Dalot is as good as they say...

Could be an interesting season ahead
  9. Aug 11, 2018

Fridge chutney Full Member

Well played and thrilled for Shaw. Pogba was class, Fred looks good, and Bailly was arguably man of the match. Pereira also played well. 4 academy products on the pitch.

Lots to be positive about!
  10. Aug 11, 2018

We did it in the first half, but when the camera panned to Jose, he looked genuinely agitated by it. When we came out in the second half we were much better, and won the ball back in the Leicester half on numerous occasions.

Jose brought in Carrick McKenna to work on his weaker areas, and I think this was evidence of that. Not perfect but an improvement.
  11. Aug 11, 2018

Fingeredmouse Full Member

The right side and forward line were ropey and De Gea seems a wee bit off, but everyone else was good. I like Fred.
  12. Aug 11, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

That was a theme throughout most of last season, though, in terms of us getting the goal and sitting back, only to be put under pressure. I'd like to see us continue to push for another goal, instead of dropping off when we score.

However, as you said, we defended well enough. Restricted Leicester to very few chances and looked pretty threatening, especially in the second half.

Going forward, as I said before, I'd like to see us push for more goals instead of sitting back, though.
  13. Aug 11, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Just glad to start with a win and get a bit of positivity going. I'll watch the game back tomorrow properly as I was watching on my phone and drinking at the same time so I missed large parts of it.

How did Pereira do defensively? I expect him to have done well in possession, but want him to stamp his authority defensively as well.

What I caught of Pogba looked good. Coming back from the world cup and starting straight away I'd a good sign.

Also what did Fred add to the midfield? I'm expecting a bit of tenacity and travelling well with the ball, but didn't catch much of him.
  14. Aug 11, 2018

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Agreed it was a good match to watch and a very important win, especially considering the condition of a lot of the players.
    Pogba gave everything and it was great to see, he was dead on his legs by the time he came off, but we needed him in there today to help the new/younger players and he was a good leader.
    The pressure is on the other teams this weekend so let's hope that some of the bigger sides drop some points.
  15. Aug 11, 2018

shabadu84 Mint? Berry?

A number of good individual performances with obvious issues of cohesion that I am confident are due to lack of a proper preseason for most of our best players. Certainly encouraging. Glad to see Pereira being groomed as a mini-Carrick. Fred, Shaw, and the CBs impressive. Pogba could make a major leap forward. Only notable disappointment for me was Sanchez, was hoping to see more from him given his rested summer. Anyway, bring on the next match!
  16. Aug 11, 2018

He certainly added some bite to midfield. He was having a mini battle with Maddison, and he's not afraid to put himself about.

He was very positive in everything he did. Some of it didn't come off, and I think he needs to get attuned to the pace of the league, but overall there were positive signs.
  17. Aug 11, 2018

Camy89 Love Island obsessive

Disagree, thought he was superb. The Leicester goal was a strange moment, but other than that he bossed it in my opinion. Fantastic save in the first have from maddison.
  18. Aug 11, 2018

Lj82 Full Member

What is positive is that we managed to rectify it at the break and came back regaining control of the game.
  19. Aug 11, 2018

Grib Full Member

Here here, footballs back
  20. Aug 11, 2018

Neo_Mufc Full Member

It's weird, I liked the build up play from defence to midfield.

I actually enjoyed watching Pogba, Fred and Pereira it was pretty exciting albeit the odd pass from Fred which was wayward but it was his OT debut we can let him off.

What I wasn't too sure on was our attack. Just feels like something is missing at the moment.
  21. Aug 11, 2018

Fingeredmouse Full Member

Yes, good save. Some dodgy distribution I felt.
  22. Aug 11, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Me too mate, me too!
  23. Aug 11, 2018

reelworld Full Member

His of the ball and positioning defensively could use some work, easily the worst part of his game right now. But his passing range :drool:. If he even come close half Carrick defensive ability, he'll be one hell of a player

Very positive on the ball which is great. His combinations with Pereira and Pogba is really good
  24. Aug 11, 2018

meamth Full Member

I really enjoyed that midfield. 3 players who can spray the pass really well. Perreira comfortably switching sides, Pogba with his deep long balls, Fred with his forward pass. Can't remember the last time we had that exciting midfield set up.
  25. Aug 11, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Positives. We won. Shaw Pogba Periera Lidelof Bailly all had good games. Fred was decent for his first game. De Gea pulled off a couple of good saves again. Top of the league.
  26. Aug 11, 2018

Sanche7 Full Member

True
    Love how Fred always tries to play it forward, he gets the ball and boom the ball in with a forward. We lacked a second outlet last season, the plan was to give it to Pogba, let him create something, but now we have 3 players in the midfield who are all good on the ball, equally capable of finding their man

But I feel we lack some creativity, which is strange as all three of our CMs are pretty creative. Also our right wing is totally wank.
    Hope Dalot can make a difference. And Sanchez needs to do better, things aren't just coming off for him, every ball is a bit behind or bit in front. Also not a fan of him moving so deep to get the ball, don't know why he's used as a creator when he's a finisher
    Should try 3-5-2 IMO with Sanchez and Lukaku upfront and Pogba - Fred - Matic / Periera midfield
  27. Aug 11, 2018

meamth Full Member

Mata was supposed to play that "creative" output in that midfield 3. He was okay, but thought we can do better than Mata at the moment. As soon as Lingard is fit again, he will become that rapid creative spark we need.
  28. Aug 11, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Surprised by these assessments. We had 8 shots to Leicester’s 13 and less possession. 8 shots is a very low amount. I thought there were a few positives but more causes for concern.
  29. Aug 11, 2018

Ashley R1+O New Member

I'm glad football is back, it will quickly wipe away the negativity if we can get a roll on and spawn 4/4 before the INT break.
  30. Aug 11, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

I'll take that every week. Hopefully we keep winning and we see the negative cnuts on this forum feck off back to the rock they crawled out from under.
  31. Aug 11, 2018

GM K Full Member

We need to press further up field. It looked like we were happy to let Leicester have the ball for long spells and I personally did not like that bit. De Gea also needs to pass the ball out better. He seemed to always hoof it out many times rather than find the proper pass. That impacted negatively on the quality of our football at times. Our front three was a problem, especially Sanchez who was woeful.
    But overall, I enjoyed the match and thought we have a team that can entertain and challenge for the title once in full flow. Looking forward to the season..
  32. Aug 11, 2018

Greck Full Member

Enjoyed the individual performances of Shaw, Pogba, Fred, Pereira and Bailly. Team performance wasnt great but okay, nothing special, but you can't knock a win. Predict our play slows down when Young and Matic return to the first team but think we continue getting results regardless
  33. Aug 11, 2018

Pacificgi Full Member

It was tense because leicester played well and give us chance to see how we look against teams that have more possession. This game against a good leicester team is better for the players than beating a disinterested west ham team 4 0 anyway
  34. Aug 11, 2018

Dyslexic Untied Full Member

Me too. Positive about this season.
  35. Aug 11, 2018

TheeAma Banned

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I quite enjoyed that as a neutral ass well. Your midfield and transition from defense to attack reminded me of Jose early 05 Chelsea and his Madrid team. I believe if Sanchez wasn't allergic to the ball and made better passes/decisions you guys would have scored 3-4 more.

Still, a worry in that defense and your right side is still unbalanced but it was a really good start and lots of positive. That was a good 3 points and good to see Luke Shaw getting on.
  36. Aug 11, 2018

It was the second half that I'm concentrating on. We had more of the ball in it, and more of the play.

There was a clear shift in tactics after the break, and I think it's closer to what Jose wants us to play.
  37. Aug 11, 2018

ErranMorad Full Member

Yeah, very low standards if that was thought to be enjoyable. It was more nerve wracking than fun. However, I do not think there were too many causes of concern either. It's about getting the World cup and injured players ready fit and running. A lot of the squad should be back for the next game against Brighton. It's good that the game is 9 days away. Valencia is a player that needs to come back asap. Darmian is simply not a good option. May be Young will be available from the next game to be played on the right.

The possession and shots on targets figure will improve, though not by much. There are too many good teams in the premier league and sitting back is Jose's default tactic. Can't see us dominating against teams with good managers like West Ham, Everton, Fulham etc. forget the rest of the top 6. What should improve is what we do with that possession and how many of these shots on target can be converted to goals. Some of the manner in which we gave the ball away should also improve once the team acclimatizes better by playing together. Fred's ball handling and understanding with Pogba and Pereira will definitely improve. Hopefully, Sanchez cuts out his shit too. He was too casual last night. He needs to stop trying to impress and keep it simple.
  38. Aug 11, 2018

Volumiza New Member

We will be better in attack when we have Lukaku and Lingard back. That was all that was missing. Sanchez was massively off the beat but surely he must click at some point.

There were real glimpses of how we will play and I liked it.
  39. Aug 11, 2018

Red_Aaron Full Member

Agree, the good start was clearly the adrenaline of the opening game but we sagged in the first half once that wore off.

Second half was much better, the shape was very good and there was a clear plan to attack quickly when we won the ball and look for the switch of play.

Considering the fitness levels of some we have to be pleased with that. If we can get to the international break intact and then hopefully pull some fergie-style injuries to get some players out of their national squad we'll be in good shape from then
  40. Aug 11, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Just rewatched the game. I like quite a lot of aspects to our play to be honest.

Mourinho is never going to play expansive football, but with the midfield we now have the quick counters should happen much more frequently than last season, providing we can get one of Lingard/Martial/Rashford to finally click on the right.

Pereira and Fred have the potential to add some much needed spark to our midfield aswell. Some lovely quick forward passes in that game.

Sanchez was just off with pretty much everything he tried, but hopefully he can click sooner rather than later. I'm hopeful given how good and sharp he looked in preseason.

Lindelof and Bailly were immense, especially Bailly. Can see this being a big season for Lindelof and hopefully he can establish himself as he reads the game quite well at times.

Shaw with a goal straight out of the blocks. Just what he needed to give him the confidence to push on, was defensively solid all night, bar that one where he got knocked off the ball.