I mean this is still a good side isn't it?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by charlenefan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

So I've resigned myself to the fact that tomorrow will be a whole load of nothing apart from the normal click bait tweets so I've already started to look beyond and providing Jose can hit the snooze button on his meltdown alarm this is still surely a really good side is it not?

---------------De Gea---------------
    Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Young
    ----------------Matic----------------
    -------Fred--------------Pogba-------
    Lingard-------Lukaku-------Sanchez

It's not perfect but it still has the likes of Rashford in reserve as well. Just need a bit of luck with injuries and some personality issues to subside and we could still have a decent season no?
  2. Aug 8, 2018

Seven Seas Sardines Full Member

:lol:
  3. Aug 8, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

It’s decent on paper. Fingers crossed it translates to the pitch this year.
  4. Aug 8, 2018

You've proved my point because while you laugh at a handful of the players there's still a really decent spine to the side
  5. Aug 8, 2018

ravi2 Full Member

Neither full back can deliver consistent service in the box and I like Jessie but he isnt a RW.
    The defense (which is one injury to Baily away from being mediocre and he seems to spend half the season injured) and RW needs serious work, this is a side that would end up 3rd or 4th given the state of the league.

If you think scraping a Champions league spot is good enough for United then sure, its a good side.
  6. Aug 8, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

Lingard was very good last year.

If all our players played to the best of their abilities then it's a very good team, that front 6 should be capable of beating anyone but football ain't played on paper sadly. The defence is still quite shaky though, Young and Valencia performed well for the most part last season but they're really knocking on a bit now. Think our neglect at left back will cost us a bit, hopefully Dalot can step up for Valencia.

EDIT: I do think a lot of the frustration comes from how we look compared to City already and how Liverpool look to have strengthened, add that to the fact we genuinely look 2 signings away from a really, really solid side. I don't think our quality should be doubted though, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba and DDG are all very good players.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. Aug 8, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Smalling is a good player, I don’t understand the bad stick he gets. Wow he is not Baresi on the ball but not all defenders have to be great on the ball. We had Ferdinand partnering Vidic because Vidic wasn’t a ball playing defender. Not comparing Smalling to Vidic, but with the right partner Smalling would be great.
  8. Aug 8, 2018

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Too many average players who have been here a few seasons too long.
  9. Aug 8, 2018

Too many meaning 4 I assume which is less than half of the XI, replace them with the likes of Delot, Shaw, Lindelof etc etc if you want
  10. Aug 8, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

That is a solid top 4 side. Which can get around the 80 points mark give or take. If we want to push into the 90s we'll need investment.
  11. Aug 8, 2018

Still ill Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I'm watching the Big Short as we speak. The parallels between the Caf tonight and Wall Street when it all came crashing down are striking.
  12. Aug 8, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

Smalling will make mistakes, Lingard will offer little, the full backs offer no width.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City will cruise ahead of that.
  13. Aug 8, 2018

The Kag New Member

Sure, but from the right? I don't think so.
  14. Aug 8, 2018

jymufc20 New Member

There is nothing wrong with that side, people on here having a meltdown over our transfer dealings because we haven't signed any galacticos is ridiculous.

We comfortably finished second last year, people seem to be forgetting that.

The only top team that has improved their squad this year is Liverpool. Spurs are the same team, City have bought Mahrez who in my opinion won't change them whatsoever Chelsea are arguably worse off now and with a new manager who has had zero time to prepare.

Deadline day deal or not, we will be fine.
  15. Aug 8, 2018

Womp idiot

No width from the fullbacks, Lingard is far, far better from the middle, I still shit my pants anytime Smalling gets on the ball. Other than that, really good side.
  16. Aug 8, 2018

Smores Full Member

This pretty much, it is a decent side just not one thats going to turn the tide i don't think. For a start i don't think any team has ever won the league with two poor/average fullbacks, was trying to think earlier and i concluded that to be the case anyway.
  17. Aug 8, 2018

The fullbacks offer plenty of width, what they fail to offer is any end product
  18. Aug 8, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

In Willian and Perisic. The. We can get 85 points.

Unless we are buying Ronaldo it’s really not that bad. In all seriousness maybe we could do it out Isco instead of Lingard. But always have Martial tiddling his thumps on the bench.
  19. Aug 8, 2018

Womp idiot

Few things: this is assuming you're happy remaining second. Mahrez absolutely makes City stronger, he's a better player than Sterling. Liverpool weren't far behind us and have strengthened their team, they'll possibly overtake us for second. Chelsea are far stronger at least in regards to personnel - Jorginho and Kovacic are great pieces of business and Kepa is a great up and coming keeper.
  20. Aug 8, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

The fullbacks are very poor and with this formation we'll have Lingard and Sanchez is positions they don't really want to be in and Pogba and Sanchez getting in each others way in that left channel. I think the squad we have would be better in 3-5-2 to get more out of all the forwards, still only enough for top 4 though.
  21. Aug 8, 2018

Theon Full Member

It is definitely still a good side on paper, no doubt about that. Without wanting to turn this into a manager bashing thread I think my concern is just whether we're able to get those players performing at their highest level, particularly going forward. It's all looked far too stale and defensive and in my opinion that's the bigger issue we face currently, and something that signing a couple of new faces won't fix. We need a mentality change in the way in which we approach and play matches.

Leaving that aspect aside, I think it's a good team capable of mounting a title challenge provided:
    • Sanchez hits his peak Arsenal heights (ideally hitting close to 20 goals in the league).
    • Lukaku continues to kick on, having settled for a year. His first season was effective but he has more to give, which will be key in a title push.
    • That midfield three of Matic / Pogba / Fred clicks immediately and improves the way we transition from defense to attack. On paper that midfield has the potential to match any midfield in the league (bar maybe City, but even then.. I would say this is more balanced).
    Biggest issue for me is the right wing spot. I like Jesse and think he's an excellent squad player (something United have always had and valued) but he's not quite good enough to be a starting winger for us imo.
  22. Aug 8, 2018

Womp idiot

Ye my bad, what I meant was penetration from out wide. Young is far too often cutting into the pitch to cross with his right foot and the less said about Valencia's crossing the better.
  23. Aug 8, 2018

Unless Kepa hits the ground running by definition they won't be stronger as they'll (Chelsea) have a worse keeper
  24. Aug 9, 2018

The White Pele Full Member

I’m really disappointed we haven’t sufficiently addressed the glaring deficiencies at full back
  25. Aug 9, 2018

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    He is decent. As you say, with the right partner...a more dominant sort of player he’d be fine there. Next to any of our current crop it’s nothing but average.

I think Bailly and Toby or Smalling and Toby, or even Lindelof and Toby would be interesting.

Jones and Rojo are absolute liabilities. Valencia is done at this level all sentimentality aside and Young, though has done a job, is just average. One of the few that can actually cross a ball mind. Shaw looks done. He certainly doesn’t look like he has anything to offer us.

People point to this wonderful defensive record, is it any wonder? We play on the back foot constantly. We have 7 and 8men behind the ball even in possession for feck sake. Even in attack we regularly have no support to the front line.

We needed a top class winger, a top class full back and a top class leader of a centre back. On top of what we got.

At least then Mourinho might, I say might, take the shackles off a bit of he trusted that unit fully.

As it is, I can’t see that anything will change. Might be wrong, but it’ll be more of the same shite IMO
  26. Aug 9, 2018

Did you watch Barcelona away?
  27. Aug 9, 2018

When Liverpool can play incredibly well with Lovren, Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum we should be able to play well with the holes we have in our lineup. Unfortunately we don't.
  28. Aug 9, 2018

Womp idiot

Considering they've severely strengthened their midfield, I wouldn't say so. Kepa is a good keeper regardless.
  29. Aug 9, 2018

Vanya Full Member

Take out Smalling Young and add Alderweireld and Alex Sandro and then you have a proper team. Thats the bare minimum we needed to challenge for the title this season. Woodward's incompetence is mind boggling.

Not only have we failed to sign players that are available but we havent been able to shift the players that have one foot out the door.
  30. Aug 9, 2018

I did, I also watched a hell of a lot of other Chelsea games over Courtois' last 3/4 years in the league
  31. Aug 9, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Well. They are good enough for a top 4.
    But if you want them to challenge titles, those players would need to turn on some real big form and keep it until end of season and remain fit most of the time.

It is a pretty huge ask, if not impossible.
  32. Aug 9, 2018

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Not really true. For example, we have won the league with Brown and Silvestre as our most common full back pairing in the season.

What is maybe interesting though is I am not sure a team has won the league with weakish full backs from a defensive point of view. That is an area we could really improve on especially at left back.
  33. Aug 9, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    It’s definitely better than at least 15 other PL sides if that makes you feel any better?
  34. Aug 9, 2018

Womp idiot

Liverpool played well with those players and still won feck all. It's why they invested. Mourinho wasn't hired to play well and win nothing. He was brought in with a reputation of football bearable only when winning. Which then raises the question of why he is still the manager if they're not going to provide him with what he deems necessary. There are attacking managers available. Just a clusterfeck of footballing management.
  35. Aug 9, 2018

100 binary bot

It's a very good side that is limited by the full backs and the lack of a threat down one side of the pitch.
  36. Aug 9, 2018

So you'll know that Kepa is just as likely to be an upgrade as a downgrade.
  37. Aug 9, 2018

Darmian, Rojones, Mata, Fellaini, Herrera, Young and Valencia in that order all need to be shipped out this window or the coming two. Once we replace them we'll be ready for bigger honours (as well as getting someone like Jardim in).
  38. Aug 9, 2018

DatIrishFella Band of Brothers, Thief

The difference is, Klopp has faith in his lot to play high up the pitch plus keep possession. It seems Jose demands we play deep, let the oppo have it, and launch it forward when we have possession in deep areas of the pitch.
  39. Aug 9, 2018

Just as likely? No
  40. Aug 9, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Be interesting to work out the last time we had two really top fullbacks. At a stretch, Wes and Evra but people were constantly calling for an upgrade at RB at the time.