If Lukaku scores more than Zlatan last season is his first season classed as a success ?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by davidmichael, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Feb 18, 2018

davidmichael Full Member

I don’t often look at stats as I often find them misleading so I wasn’t fully aware that Lukaku now has 21 goals this season and is most likely going to hit 30 or 30+ which would see him outscore Zlatan last season.

If Lukaku does hit 30+ goals and outscores Zlatan then would we consider Lukaku a success seeing as Zlatan was lauded for his goals last season ? I know we all talk more about his faults and negatives but to hit 30+ goals in a season when you’re not called Messi or Ronaldo is still a big feat.
  2. Feb 18, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Yeah, it should be a success but not living up to the tag price we paid for him, I hope he can improve more aspect of his weakness.
  3. Feb 18, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

30+ goals should be seen as a success. Especially as the entire team (especially the attack) has looked disjointed for large parts of the season & haven’t created bucket loads of chances for him during his barren spell.

Though, looking at some of his performances, it’s a big positive that it’s a number he can almost certainly improve on over the next couple of seasons. Especially if the teams attack clicks/improves.
  4. Feb 18, 2018

SER19 Full Member

If a new striker scoring over 30 goals in his first season is ever classed as a failure then there's been some sort of seismic shift in the game I didn't hear about. Or I'll have just logged on to red cafe.
  5. Feb 18, 2018

Greck Full Member

He's better for the team than Zlatan was last year Imo. Am still trying to wrap my head around Zlatan's run of missed sitters costing us points last season
  6. Feb 18, 2018

Donut Full Member

Zlatan wasn't really amazing for us (Caf season rating was 6.0) and neither has been Rom for now. IMO they've both been OK for us.
  7. Feb 18, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

On one hand yes because he's never scored 30 in a season before

On the other hand not really because 30 was the minimum I expected

Had it not been for injury Zlatan would have got closer to 40 last season and for someone of his age coming into the PL and the fact his goals won us a trophy his season will probably have to been seen as a better one than Lukaku's this year
  8. Feb 18, 2018

Red00012 New Member

Zlatans goals far outweigh the few sitters he missed the same as Lukaku’s goals far outweigh his defensive mistakes at set pieces
  9. Feb 18, 2018

Z1L3 New Member

Supports:
    Partizan Belgrade
    I like him. He's a fighter, and he's also been providing assists for others.
  10. Feb 18, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

This :lol:
  11. Feb 18, 2018

haram Full Member

He’s better for us than Ibra either way.
  12. Feb 18, 2018

Mickfoley Banned

No, he makes us play worse than Zlatan of last season. Martial has better minutes per goal stats and he has not played as a forward. 2 good goals against a poor defense doesn't change anything for me.
  13. Feb 18, 2018

haram Full Member

We are better than last year so this is just bollocks.
  14. Feb 18, 2018

Snafu17 Full Member

How about 29?
  15. Feb 18, 2018

Mickfoley Banned

Or may be the fact that the striker goes missing in games that really mattered (every difficult game infact) and failed to even control the ball in those matches. I think he has been a complete failure against decent opposition and has been excellent in easy games.
  16. Feb 18, 2018

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    His all round game seems to be improving if I'm honest. He's got a way to go to show he's a first choice united striker for years to come, but if his game continues to improve he will be more of a handful than he already is.

Hopefully he will hit 30 odd for the season and kick on next. He's starting to contribute more than just goals which I like.
  17. Feb 18, 2018

Ainu Full Member

Martial is at his best coming from the left where he has a bit of space to work with. He has benefitted a lot from having Lukaku in the side with him. Regardless, he didn't play centre forward last year with Zlatan either, so there's no difference there. We've not been that great this season, but we've certainly been a hell of a lot better than last season. One look at the goals for column shows that.
  18. Feb 18, 2018

londonredmaniac I suffer delusions of grandeur

The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
    Sounds like most of our attacking options in the big games then. Yes yes underperformed against the big sides, but who has excelled? Who has been creating chances in those games?

Not a single soul imo.
  19. Feb 18, 2018

Untied Full Member

Nailed it
  20. Feb 18, 2018

mike bird Banned

Supports:
    Boston Celtics
    top player, but need to sell to make way for Kane.
  21. Feb 18, 2018

Red Katie The least positive person in match threads ever

Surely no one can describe him as a failure if he nets around 30 goals?
  22. Feb 18, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Not sure if OP is a parody?
  23. Feb 18, 2018

nah_it_wont_happen Banned

Depends on what we achieve as a team. If we fail to win any trophy and don't get to be at least 2nd in the league, then Lukaku, despite scoring whatever numbers of goals, will have had a failed first season, as will every other player in the squad. Footballers' success should be defined by trophies won, not by individual gains.

Having said all that, even if you argue that individual success should be counted, then Lukaku has failed miserably. He's the most or 2nd most expensive (depending on which report you trust) ever player in United history. He should be winning big games by the scruff of the neck, but he's failed to deliver in each of those matches, except against mediocre big teams like Spurs and Arsenal. In fact, against City he was indeed the main culprit behind our loss, City owe their win to him.

If it was up to me, I'd get rid of him immediately when the next transfer window starts and play Martial as center forward with Rashford as back up and sign Mahrez to play on the right. Tbf to Lukaku, it it was up to me, I'd also get rid of Mourinho and bring in Massimiliano Allegri or Leonardo Jardim. The whole club needs an overhaul to be where we were in 2008.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  24. Feb 18, 2018

Stringer Full Member

Probably. He needs to perform against some decent opposition for it to be a complete success though I accept that he hasn't been helped by Mourinho's tactics in those games.
  25. Feb 18, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yet somehow we’ve played better than last season. Confusing, right?
  26. Feb 18, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Martial and Lukaku have a great understanding on the field, so both benefited of that so far. I think Lukaku is a better fit for us up front and makes us much more dangerous on the counter than Zlatan ever had. The only thing that Zlatan has over him is his goals in the big games imo.

As for OP question, it goes without saying.
  27. Feb 18, 2018

sullydnl Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep.

Plus even aside from the goals, his attitude has been great too. He had a reputation for being at times a little sulky at Everton but we've seen none of that here. He's worked himself into the ground for his team and teammates.
  28. Feb 18, 2018

MrBest Full Member

I think even if he don't get 30 goals which I'm sure he will, he is better than ibra who was good last year. Lukaku has started to do a lot more for the team. Has a bunch of assists and constantly tracks back and looks to get others in the game. He's more of a team player than ibra so in my eyes is already more of a success.
  29. Feb 18, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

Falling from the top of that cell really messed up your brain didn't it.
  30. Feb 18, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Surely there should be a rule against stupid threads like this being allowed to be made?!
  31. Feb 18, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

So far he’s scored more goals than Lacazette and Morata combined. Of course he’s not a failure.
  32. Feb 18, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Kane is a better striker, but I would really like to see Kane impact and dealing with some of our play/high balls that we're regularly throwing to Lukaku.

Lukaku has been very good so far.
  33. Feb 18, 2018

Mickfoley Banned

That's because Zlatan was the only attacking threat last season. This season other attackers have improve a lot, Martial and Lingard for example. It's more because of these two instead of Lukaku. Sure he has been very good. But I believe we would've been better with last season's Zlatan in this season's first eleven with inform Lingard,Martial and Sanchez as Mata was the only one was on the same wavelength as Ibra last season. Just an opinion.
  34. Feb 18, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

And you think that has absolutely nothing to do with Lukaku? Ok
  35. Feb 18, 2018

Mickfoley Banned

Somewhat yes. Last season's Zlatan would link up with these two even better. Lukaku messes up our play in the final third somewhat. Sure he can play a few good passes but I still believe Ibra would've been better for the team overall.
  36. Feb 18, 2018

noodlehair "It's like..."

He could score 60 and people on here will still slag him off as a failure if we lose 1-0 to City.

There's been so many games this season we wouldn't have won without him.
  37. Feb 18, 2018

Lay Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

21 goals so far is a great return.
  38. Feb 18, 2018

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

@Pogue Mahone, not siding either way here but that is some fecked up logic mate.
    Sanchez, Matic? Are we just going to ignore we’ve bought new better players in the same time?
  39. Feb 18, 2018

DdeGoat Banned

The reason for debate about Lukaku is that he is not as refined a striker as you would want in a top team. His touch isn't up to the notch, his hold up play isn't great & he looks clumsy doing most things. He needs the ball in front of him, instead of being good at with his back behind the goal. Which is not his fault as that is the kind of striker he is. It is our fault that we expect him to play as a target man when he is not. Still he is a goal scorer and in my eyes has already done more with his pace, movement and presence than Zlatan did last year.

Of all the strikers available in the summer - Morata, Lacazette, Auba, and him - I wouldn't have picked anyone other than Lukaku. Still if there is a chance to upgrade on him with someone like Kane, I'll do it in a heartbeat. That's where I stand on Lukaku.

I think with a better midfield and attacking talent behind him, he would do better next season; even against the big teams. At times our set-up and the way we are asking him to play has been more responsible than Lukaku in not getting us the important goals against the top 6.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  40. Feb 18, 2018

Ardis Banned

Failure is a big word. He could stop playing now and his season would still not be a failure. What is worrying though is how he plays against strong opposition. He seems so overwhelmed, it's too much for him.