If Spurs fall out of the top 4 this year...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rozay, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 2, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

What do you guys think the implications would be? The same question has been asked about us over the years, and we have answered it well I think.

Much has been made of Spurs’ financial limitations, and with a new stadium, money may be tighter perhaps. They have been able to underpay on the basis that they have been a fantastic team - in my opinion, pound for pound the best team in England over the last 3 years. Can’t help what wonders with the likes of Kane, Poch, Alli and the rest if they are ultimately strong armed financially out of the top 4.
  2. Dec 2, 2017

yumtum DUX' bumchum

A summer without Glaston is on the cards?
  3. Dec 2, 2017

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

The first sign of unrest with Alderweireld is already there. Bar Kane I think most of their top players will seek greener pastures if they don't seriously challenge.

Erikssen and Alli won't just stay and be content with watching players they are atleast on level with making £150-200k\week at clubs like City, United, Chelsea, while they are making half that.

The only thing that would make them accept that is a truly dominant Spurs where they would have a greater chance at titles than at the top payers, but that won't happen IMO.
  4. Dec 2, 2017

Virror New Member

they will just join the NFL instead with their new perfect NFL stadium
  5. Dec 2, 2017

DRM New Member

It all depends on what happens with Poch. I reckon if he goes (rumours Madrid want him) then Kane and Alli will follow, which means the likes of Erickson and Rose will also want out. It could unravel pretty quickly for spurs.

So for their sake, they better hope they can finish in the top 4. No reason to panic yet though, they're simply going through a mini slump and I have no doubt they will get out of it because poch Is a very good manager. I have a feeling everyone in the top 6 bar City will go through some sort of mini slump as the season progresses.
  6. Dec 2, 2017

AXVnee7 Full Member

I don't think there will be a mass exodus, maybe 1 or 2 key players but not all of them. Kane would probably be one of the last to leave.

I think if Spurs fall out of the top 4, they won't be getting back into it any time soon. Take away the anomaly of Leicester and the League has been won by a big spending team for the last few seasons, and seems set up to do so again this season (City and then us or Chelsea the biggest favourites currently). The problem Spurs have is they have to rely on finding gems and developing them, whereas the others are buying ready made players, or near ready players. This is how United have IMO reduced the gap to Spurs over the course of a couple of summers, and are on course to surpass them very soon.

I actually think Spurs as a team have already plateaued. Unless they sign world class players they can only stagnate at best, but currently it looks like a slight downward trend although whether that's bad form remains to be seen.
  7. Dec 2, 2017

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

It's a bit of a house of cards to be honest. Poch and progress has been holding them together as a unit. I think if they fail to get UCL it'll hurt them in two ways. Firstly they won't have Champions League to motivate their players to stay, secondly they won't have Champions League money to convince them to stay and convince quality new players to come too.
  8. Dec 2, 2017

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

It boggles my mind when people have such trouble with spelling a simple name like Eriksen. "Erickson" ffs :houllier:
  9. Dec 2, 2017

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

I think Spurs will be fine. Surely their financial executives aren't stupid enough to gamble on consistent CL money.
  10. Dec 2, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

No top 4 and they can kiss goodbye to Alli, Alderweireld and Rose at least. Can't see Kane sticking around either if one of the big clubs come sniffing.
  11. Dec 2, 2017

deafepl Full Member

Spurs have nothing to lose, they'd get a lot of money by selling people who actually want to leave for a big club and replace them with the same quality for cheap price.
  12. Dec 2, 2017

The Firestarter Full Member

Before this game they had only 3 point less than same stage of last season.
  13. Dec 2, 2017

I forgot they're allowed to do that. It's such an advantage isn't it.
  14. Dec 2, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    The urge of some on here to write off Tottenham is hilarious. They're going through a rough patch but I've seen nothing that suggests this is a permanent regression. What they've built over the past few years ensures they'll be contenders for top 4 and domestic cups, for some time.
  15. Dec 2, 2017

It is not only their rough patch. It is also their wage cap and abillity to keep their top players, coupled with the financial muscle to replace them if they lose them.

I can't understand how people buy into this fairytale story of Spurs somehow being the exception that are able to keep their top players despite them earning 50% of what they would elsewhere. It might be viable if they were to dominate the PL, but with the heavy spenders in Manchester plus Chelsea it's not like that is going to happen anytime soon.
  16. Dec 2, 2017

The question is "if" they fall out of the Top 4. You can't ignore the fact they pay their players considerably less than other sides. I don't think there's any chance they'd hold on to all their best players over the summer and bring in more quality to keep competing with the likes of City, United and Chelsea.
  17. Dec 2, 2017

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

To be fair, the title says "If". It's hypothetical. We are aloud to discuss the hypothetical.

If they miss out on top 4, then it all depends on their CL campaign. So far, they are looking good but if they get knocked out in R16 and finish 6th - then I'd predict that two of Alderweireld, Rose, Alli, Eriksen or Kane will want out for £££.
  18. Dec 2, 2017

SirAF Ageist

This.
  19. Dec 2, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

They'll be fine due to tying their best players down to long contracts.

Dele - 2022
    Kane - 2022
    Eriksen - 2020
    Alderweireld - 2020

No chance Levy will allow either Dele or Kane to leave. Rose will probably leave but they'll be fine without him. Maybe either Alderweireld or Vertonghen (2019) but if there's one thing Spurs are good at it is signing good quality CBs.
  20. Dec 2, 2017

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

They are not in a competition with themselves from last season though.
  21. Dec 2, 2017

Alli's got a contract until 2022. Levy won't sell him. As for Eriksen for some daft reason there doesn't seem to be a club interested in him. Barcelona would be perfect for him but they're obsessed with Coutinho.
  22. Dec 2, 2017

crossy1686 Full Member

Tottenham are one more loss away from a crisis in my opinion, if you look at their recent form, it's comparable to Everton an West Ham.

If they do finish outside the top 4 this season we can probably expect their top talent to be tempted to go elsewhere, Kane would probably stay for one more season hoping they got back in but would leave after two seasons out. Pretty sure Pochettino would get the sack after one and a half season out also.

The problem with this Tottenham side is that everyone keeps saying they're a great side and they play good football but they haven't won and don't look like winning anything. In 50 years time, no one is going to be building statues of teams that almost achieved something or a manager that almost won some cups and the league. That problem firmly lies with Pochettino, his squad management/rotation policy is poor.
  23. Dec 2, 2017

If they hand in a transfer request there is little they can do. The price will be extortionate for both Alli and EriKSen surely, but still you won't be able to keep players who have had their head turned.
  24. Dec 2, 2017

James Peril Full Member

As a manager, why do you write a book about your career when you are quite new and have won absolutely nothing? Sounds quite daft!
  25. Dec 2, 2017

PepsiCola Full Member

Sell lukaku, sign Kane.
  26. Dec 2, 2017

Tom Van Persie No relation

:lol:
  27. Dec 2, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Supports:
    Of course we can debate it, no arguments there.

I don't think their situation is that precarious, where a failure to finish in the top 4 will set off a departure of talent that they can't replenish. They have enough quality in their recruitment and manager to be up and about.

What people need to realize is that there are 6 top clubs challenging for 4 spots. 1-2 will miss out on the CL every year. At least 2 will end up trophyless. Tottenham may be in a position to offer less money than the top top clubs, but that factor is overstated in these discussions.
  28. Dec 2, 2017

adexkola American Arse

Supports:
    It's not a fairytale story, it's good management that has got them this far. They may stall, but I'm not convinced that what they have is a house of cards. Why would their ability to get talent on the cheap decrease all of a sudden?
  29. Dec 2, 2017

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

Yeah they will be able to. Southampton and Liverpool managed to keep a hold of Van Dijk and Coutinho despite the players doing their best to leave.
  30. Dec 2, 2017

The Firestarter Full Member

I agree of course. The point is their level has not dropped dramatically.
  31. Dec 2, 2017

They might get talent on the cheap, but meanwhile clubs like City, United, Chelsea and all the ones they hope to compete with in the CL buy the finished article. Signing talents is very hit and miss, it isn't like you will be unearthing Alli and Eriksen type talents consistently. For a club wanting to compete at the very top nurturing talents and then selling them off isn't a sustainable tactic. It might be financially sustainable, but it is not a winning way.
  32. Dec 2, 2017

Southampton and Liverpool say 'hi'. Transfer request means nothing.
  33. Dec 2, 2017

He will be sold eventually. If Liverpool didn't proceed in the totally disrespectful way they did then Swansea would have sold at the reported £60m.
  34. Dec 2, 2017

Not just VVD - Liverpool rejected Coutinho's transfer request. When the contract expires in 2022 - like in the case of those players and Dele - the player is powerless and the club holds all the cards.

Eriksen is a bit different but he's not one to rock the boat so if he does say he wants to leave and Spurs says no, he won't act up imo.
  35. Dec 2, 2017

Coutinho has probably been promised his transfer next summer.

And yes, the club holds the cards when the players have so long left on their contract, but ideally you wouldn't want to be left with a squad with two or three unsettled pivotal players that can't be arsed. If Tottenham fall out of the top4 that might just happen.
  36. Dec 2, 2017

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

True, but other teams have tasted trophy success. Most of Spurs' top players haven't, and no doubt they'll be craving it. They've had two/three top seasons where they've progressed and progressed to a point where they are a position away from winning the league. But finishing out of the top 4 now MIGHT make a few players feel as if it's all come to nothing and that they are back to square one.

We all may be over exaggerating like your saying, but I'm fairly confident that, as I said, a couple of their players will want out in the Summer if it's a trophyless and back stepping season.
  37. Dec 2, 2017

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's

5th, 2nd, 3rd, whatever, it's all degrees of losing.
  38. Dec 2, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Coutinho wasn't underpaid at Liverpool, he only wanted to leave because it was Barca that was in for him - can't blame the guy for that. On the other hand the Spurs players are severely underpaid in comparison to other premier league players of similar ability. The promise of CL football is a particularly strong bargaining chip for Spurs during contract negotiations, take that out of the equation and the proposed contract looks rather thin. Levy also refuses to grant his players a release clause in their contracts - which is why Alderwerield refuses to renew his contract.

Should Spurs fail to qualify for the CL, there is every chance we will see discontent among certain players of their squad. Why play for a football club on a low wage, without a release clause in your contract and no CL football to look forward too, when you could simply jump ship for greener pastures, get paid a salary befitting your ability (with umpteeen bonuses added on) and be guaranteed CL football?
  39. Dec 2, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I always wonder why players sign such long deals at Tottenham. Levy would rather let them play in reserves than sell him to a domestic rival and in some cases he would rather ruin their career than let them go anywhere at all.
  40. Dec 2, 2017

RedPed Full Member

Midtable obscurity awaits. They've missed their window of opportunity and with their current wage structure, they're not going to progress.