If Spurs fall out of the top 4 this year...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rozay, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017

IRELANDUNITED Full Member

Kane -Madrid
    Alli - United
    Eriksen - Chelsea
    Pochettino - United if Mourinho leaves after next season ( i hope not)
  2. Dec 7, 2017

James Peril Full Member

We have no use for Dele Alli, there are much better options out there. We need a great footballer, not someone who can just score goals from great crosses from Eriksen.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

TwoSheds More sheds than you, probably

How long is it then? And is he ever going to play properly with a gammy hip? Reminds me of Roy Keane's injury tbh.
  4. Dec 7, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Totally different situation as West Ham don't actually own the stadium, ultimately any naming rights would basically be a sponsor of West Ham than actually the Olympic Stadium. When any athletics or other events that took place in the stadium it would revert back to being called the Olympic stadium, they have been sold a right lemon. Good report on it here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ng-cost-of-hooliganism-after-naming-rights-s/
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. Dec 7, 2017

Camilo Full Member

They'd be fine finishing 5th or 6th for a few years, as would most of the top 6. There are a lot of good teams at the moment, and with a bit of luck (seemingly less likely right now..) teams like Newcastle and West Ham could make that push up the table too (they really should be competing year in year out for Europa League spots at least). The "big 4" has become the "big 6" and it will likely expand again in the next few years. Missing out will become part and parcel of the EPL, and that's absolutely fine with me - the assumption that we're going to be in the Champions League each year before we've even kicked a ball is dull.

That all said, Spurs are definitely hanging in there due to a large slice of luck with players (which is fine - it's how we've become as big as we have) - but if those players start wanting out, and the money doesn't get spent on new players they could get into trouble. But then again, Spurs are a desirable club to play for - keep the right coach and they could maintain a high standard for years to come; I don't think you'd find many players outside the starting 11s of the other top 6 clubs who wouldn't want to join them for a starting place.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Just over a year and he's been back training for a month or so, made 2 sub appearances in the last games. While I don't think he is a world beater I do think he can be a useful addition and is something we lack when Eriksen is out of form.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

I'd say...

Kane - Real or City (Aguero replacement)
    Alli - Chelsea
    Eriksen - Real, Barca, United, Chelsea
    Pochettino - United, Chelsea
  8. Dec 7, 2017

AR87 Full Member

Possible to show progress without winning the PL
    Never said anything about a title challenge. I specifically referenced them getting top 4 over Arsenal and Liverpool.

Also, even if Lamela is bang average, he's a better option on the wing than what they have right now behind their starters.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

golden_blunder I hate football. Getting grumpier by the second Staff

Long contracts mean nothing if a player has his head turned. Sure you may get a few extra quid but ultimately you’re not going to keep an unhappy player. IF Poch were to leave then there will be a major battle to replace him with someone the players respect, and to keep their key players. I do think Kane will hang around though. He’s got that vibe of a one club man
  10. Dec 7, 2017

TwoSheds More sheds than you, probably

Maybe. If I were them I'd pick Sissoko, Dembelé or a kid, bit of a nothing player for me. But it's true, their options out there are scarce and they need to recruit.
  11. Dec 7, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Think the times of players getting everything they want and players under contract can be kept, Coutinho and VVD 2 very recent examples. TBH id rather sell a player who completely wanted out but I don't think we will be forced to sell anyone in the summer.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

I'd agree. Certain Tottenham fans (fan) considered 6th to be mid table when Utd were in 6th though.

Those kind of prices would make it the biggest stadium rights deal in sports. Is that realistic?
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Yep, of Tottenham's three big guns in attack/midfield - I'd definitely target Eriksen over Alli and Kane as well. More realistic than the English pair, and he just offers the ideal blend of incision, the ability to manipulate games with his passing, and versatility in both central and wider regions - aside from a degree of proficiency from set pieces and crosses (although he is prone to consistently hitting the first man à la Valencia from time to time). Given some of his performances for Denmark under Hareide, and at Tottenham in the recent past, he could very well have the type of impact Fàbregas had at Chelsea in 2014/15 under José:
    Pogba and Eriksen would be a mouthwatering supply line for the likes of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford up front. :drool:
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Random Task Full Member

Eriksen has been Spurs' outstanding player thus far in the campaign, he's fallen off the pace over recent weeks but his class remains. His creativity and exceptional movement reminds me of Iniesta (bold statement I know) and I think he would make a great addition to our squad.

Kane will move abroad, Levy will see to that.
  15. Dec 7, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Honestly with the way money is in the game right now who knows, I don't think £15-20M a season is anywhere near the biggest deal in sport. Would love the Nike Stadium but honestly don't see them going down that route.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

Still tons of points to play for, Spurs can still end in top four and City outside it.
    A crisis don't come mid-season unless you are David Moyes.

If Spurs fall out, I think they could keep most of their key-players for another year or two at most without challenging for trophies or increasing their wages to market value.
    Mind, I think Alderweireld & Rose will leave in the next 2 years.
    Dele Alli is a weird case for me. Got himself a new agent so is likely looking for either a move or a massive wage-increase. He has attitude issues also, so could easily fall out with people at the club, but somehow I still could see him stay a few more years because of how young he is and this year especially for how bad form he has been in.

Eriksen I hope we get, but highly doubtful.
    Seems quite happy with life in general and in interviews done after matches with the Norwegian media he always sounds mature and down to earth about individualistic achievements vs team achievements.
    Could easily see Eriksen be a part of a functioning Barcelona midfield.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

MancunianAngels Full Member

Spurs need the Fa Cup rather than a top 4 space this season (assuming they don't win Champions League.)
  18. Dec 7, 2017

Havak Pokemon master

Spurs are such an odd team - they've probably done the reverse of what most people expected. I'd have thought they'd sneak 2nd in that CL Group or end up in the Europa League, not win it rather convincingly. On the flip-side, I'd have expected them to be third or fourth right now and a lot closer to City & ourselves than they are. Currently, they're more likely to end up in a battle for fourth with Arsenal and Liverpool. Not finishing fourth will actually be a major blow in their current situation and I think they'd lose at least 2-3 of their best players in the Summer if so (they will probably even lose 1-2 of them before the start of the next season anyway).
  19. Dec 7, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

The biggest in sport I could find was the MetLife stadium in New York. It was $450m over 25 years. £200m over ten years would be groundbreaking.
  20. Dec 7, 2017

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    Sorry, but topping a CL group that contained both RM and Dortmund is an impressive standard in my book. Besides, not many teams in the CL go to Madrid and get a draw and not many beat them in the return fixture.

As I've said before, when Spurs do well many posters on here write it off as due only to their opponents or rivals "under-performing"

As for the league, City are running away with it ... but then they've net spent vastly more than Spurs over the last 5 years, and that's without taking wage bills into account.

The aim for Spurs this season is to do well in the CL and finish in the top 4 again (prior to the move into our new home stadium next season) - at this stage I wouldn't write off both those aims being achieved.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

oneniltothearsenal Arse Lover Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    The NFL has also been working on opening on Canada and Mexico. Canada and Mexico both have much bigger markets for an NFL fan base already and make far, far more practical sense than having teams fly 12 hours across the pond every week.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-should-expand-to-london-but-first-canada-mexico-and-la/

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-nfl-football-20171024-story.html

I'd bet dollars to donuts the NFL is in Canada and Mexico City well before London.
  22. Dec 7, 2017

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I still think £20M is high but it will be in that bracket id say, it has just went out to tender so we should start to hear rumblings in the new year id suspect.
  23. Dec 7, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

From the articles you posted it seems that London will still likely be the first given there is currently a stadium being built to house an NFL team. Those articles seem to say why it would be a better idea to have a team in Mexico or Canada rather than it becoming a reality?

Winning that group is a good achievement but will soon be forgotten. Winning a CL group does not go into your history books.
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Supports:
    The NFL is researching this issue just as much as fivethirtyeight and they know all the metrics. Also I am going with what a friend whose firm partners with the NFL is saying. As I said I would bet 100-1 odds that the NFL is in Canada and Mexico before England. You don't have to believe me but just bookmark this comment and in 10 years we will see ;)
  25. Dec 7, 2017

James Peril Full Member

Beating Real Madrid over two games and in the group is highly impressive every day of the week, although they have in fact been off recently. You could see the differences in motivation for sure. Borussia however, not so much. Look at their team and probably none of them would get into Tottenham’s team - let alone better teams like City, Real and the best in Europe.

What Tottenham will miss is experience in the later rounds, and they will go out pretty quickly. I think two English teams will go out.... unlucky for Pool as they are in great form now - lucky for Spurs as they are in atrocious form. Goes without saying, meet Real Madrid or FC Bayern and you’re 70-30 to got out. Tottenham can’t meet Real when it really matters so that’s one bullet dodged already.
  26. Dec 7, 2017

Skills Snitch

Maybe we can sponsor it. The Manchester United stadium :drool:
  27. Dec 7, 2017

acnumber9 Full Member

Any deal topping those figures would have to include shirt sponsorship as well. Not quite as impressive as some would like us to believe for some reason.
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

Most here cream themselves over the idea of Pulisic & Weigl.
    Hell, I'm sure people would still be happy with Reus.
    And before buying Lukaku we had tons of people talking about wanting Aubameyang.
  29. Dec 7, 2017

OverratedOpinion Full Member

What on earth are you talking about? How is it convenient for us to highlight the fact that we had a dramatic decline? The fact that Spurs have benefited from a constant top 4 team taking a nosedive and Chelsea/Liverpool/City being inconsistent is not even debatable.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Peanut Butter Banned

I always say this but Spurs need trophies. Trophies. Trophies.

They need to win a European final to say "Finally, here we are everyone we mean business!"

Top 4 finishes and shiny new stadiums mean absolutely nothing without silverware accompanying it.

See: Arsenal.
  31. Dec 7, 2017

I will bookmark your quote but researching and actively pursuing the issue are two different things. The NFL themselves say they aim to have a team in London within five years.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

spontaneus1 Hamster, damn!

Don't be too sure about that.
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/history/honours/

33. Dec 7, 2017

34. Dec 7, 2017

Supports:
    Maybe they will push something that the data shows is a big mistake. I am still betting that the NFL is not that stupid and their economists and actuaries will win out over the delusional sales guys. But you are right, there is always room for human error and especially arrogant companies typically make the mistake of aggressive expansion.