1. Hey Guest, there's a new Podcast: Football, Bloody Hell! Podcast Episode 9 - Afroman

If we have been financially blown out of the water by Chelsea...

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Feed Me, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

Can we please avoid the usual "we can't compete" bollocks?

You're spot on, we can't compete, and nor should we. By all accounts, we've put up the transfer cash and offered a competitive package to Hazard.

If Chelsea have come along and offered silly money, then so be it. They've been doing that ever since Roman came in and we've still been more successful than them.

As nice as it would have been to get such a precocious player, there's definitely a sense Hazard is an unedifying character.

Maybe all of the bluster and hype surrounding him has created an unfair perception that Kagawa is vastly inferior? I've certainly been guilty of that, I think.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not bothered if we can't compete financially with a club who can lump an additional wedge on top of our offer. We'll still be competitive, irrespective of how much others spend.

Now where's the fecking Kagawa thread?
  2. May 28, 2012

Chabon Full Member

Happened with Robben eight years ago, it's not exactly new. We'll be fine, it's the rest that you have to feel for. Newcastle and Spurs are real football clubs, ho finished the season with better teams and brighter futures than Chelsea. That progress will now be hamstrung by financial doping. Football is dead etc.
  3. May 28, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Here here

There's always someone else too :)

Kagawa, Götze :drool:
  4. May 28, 2012

lem8sh Full Member

We need a central midfielder more than a Kagawa, Hazard etc
  5. May 28, 2012

UnitedRoadRed Full Member

Oh christ on a bike. A Kagawa > Hazard thread.
  6. May 28, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

It's happened to United a hell of a lot over the years.

People cite Hazard as their heir to Ronaldo, yet they conveniently forget that Ronaldo only came in because we were overtaken by Barcelona for Ronaldinho!

Kagawa might not be as flashy and he might not have the same potential as Hazard, but I think he can come in and improve what we have already. And if he has an improvement trajectory similar to the likes of Valencia, then I'm happy.

Let's not forget that some of our more unheralded signings have turned out to be the best over the past few years. Think Vidic, Evra, Hernandez and so on.

Also, in amongst all the Hazard hullaballoo, we've forgotten that the midfield still needs sorting also.
  7. May 28, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

No, we should bankrupt ourselves to sign players, for that is the proven winning formula.
  8. May 28, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

I'd say we need both. Too much is resting on Rooney's shoulders, and we lack creativity through the middle.
  9. May 28, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Sure we can compete and maybe the worlds changed and people these days don't mind playing for anyone as long as they got ££££. When he talks, even before today you know what's coming. He's not a desireable character. He's been treated like a God. He has an awful lot to prove.

Yes we'd have liked him, but then he opened his mouth......not even Ronaldo was that cocky. When we went in for Ronaldinho and lost to Barcelona we got Ronaldo and the same will happen because our clubs blessed like that. If Chelsea willingly bend over for this knob - it don't matter so much. His careers just begun

I think we personally have to make a statement this summer, we did BRILLIANT last season, considering everything - but it's about time we got real and do something about it - actually making it happen, not just talking a good game.
  10. May 28, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

Modric plus Kagawa please!
  11. May 28, 2012

Aporkalypse Full Member

There are those that would agree with you.

Destroy any wage structure! Pay everyone what they want!
  12. May 28, 2012

Cina hell hath no fury like a Cina scorned

Spot on FM.

At the end of the day, we're far more in need of a proper, out and out central midfielder and if not signing Hazard means we still have £30m to potentially pump into a player like that then that's fine by me.
  13. May 28, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

Truest and most sensible words spoken in a long time. Kudos.
  14. May 28, 2012

Amir Full Member

We can compete up to a point, but at the end of the day we're a well run business who is not dependent on any one person's goodwill and moods. That is just fine by me.
  15. May 28, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

This is not that at all.

I'm not qualified to judge on either player.
  16. May 28, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

Cashley, JT, Mikel, a load of other mercenaries and now this knob. They really are a plastic cash cow for the modern piss-taking footballer
  17. May 28, 2012

Saliph Banned

True enough. Last thing I want is to see us with some oligarch sugar daddy. The day we start spending beyond our means like drunk sailors is the day I'll lose interest.

Still, it's getting increasingly frustrating to see all the best players reject us. I dread the day we lose Fergie.
  18. May 28, 2012

stubie Full Member

Let's live the dream like Leeds
  19. May 28, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Word.
  20. May 28, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    So is if clubs could only spend what they earn we would now have Nasri, Hazard,Robben,Essien,Aguero etc and would be what were supposed to fecking be one of the best clubs in Europe.

fecking UEFA Platini cnuts get your act together.
  21. May 28, 2012

manusteve Full Member

Gill suggested money was always available for transfers, but I agree you don't spend stupid money on players.

But for fecks' sake, that central midfield needs strengthening with top quality player(s).
  22. May 28, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    Dont forget those other cnuts City
  23. May 28, 2012

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

Well let's look at this. Lets say your Roman...you will tell this lad anything...yes you'll play! Yes we'll on the way up! Yes he's lined up etc...it's a lot of hot air. They're fluked the champions league. Munich were by far the better team.

Then he talks to Sir Alex and he talks about having four strikers and rotation etc etc....so in that respect it's a non brainer. Roman ain't a football person, Sir Alex is....Roman will lie to get what he wants, I doubt Sir Alex will.

So I think we were probably too honest and if you allow these clubs to bullshit players on top of what they offer, then you might as well not even schedule a meeting to be frank.
  24. May 28, 2012

Devil may care Full Member

Feed Me's general point is right, we made him a good offer by all accounts but clearly Chelsea either offered more or some other incentive we are unaware of, if his head has been so easily turned because they won the CL it speaks to him being a bit thick, but maybe it was more than that.

Lets not go all RAWK though and pretend Kagawa is better, he's not, and clearly we have made moves for both, so that point is moot as it was never one or the other.
  25. May 28, 2012

ste_michaels Lard arse

"My greatest challenge is not what's happenin
    feck hazard! Sick of hearing about the dickhead...
  26. May 28, 2012

ste_michaels Lard arse

"My greatest challenge is not what's happenin
    I'd rather us give Newcastle the money for mr t
  27. May 28, 2012

Cantona07 Full Member

Most Games are played with ONE Ball but the REAL g
    feck Evra. Every time he opens his mouth....he jinks everything:lol:
  28. May 28, 2012

Edmeiste Banned

I dont really get all the media whore remarks towards hazard. media has alot to do surrounding this transfer saga.

For our other transfer targets, according to Miguel Delaney, Modric is our backup to Hazard so now the money we were going to spunk out on Hazard is going towards funding that transfer. That'd be great if true.
  29. May 28, 2012

Aporkalypse Full Member

I'm loving the "fake bid, we never wanted to get him" shit I'm reading on Twitter.

Why the feck would we submit a bid for that amount of money, have it accepted and made public? Surely it completely compromises any other transfers we actually attempt to make later on in the window?
  30. May 28, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Ha ha, he scares them off doesn't he :lol:
  31. May 28, 2012

Spoony The People's President

Zidane is clearly a greater footballer than Missi.
    He he he. Makes me chuckle... Fans actually thought we'd sign him. But yeah, simply put...we can't compete with the oligarch and the sheikhs.
  32. May 28, 2012

.Phil1968 Full Member

Well there we are then.Hopefully there is a back up plan and we haven't put everything into hunting Hazard.Can't believe he'd sign for a managerless club so it seems to me Chelsea and now Hazard have a new manager lined up.Hope it's Rafa.
  33. May 28, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Did this need another thread?
  34. May 28, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

I wish people would stop saying it doesn't matter. In recent years we've failed again and again to sign the players we wanted. That matters.

If it doesn't matter, then the quality of a team is independent of the quality of it's players - a bizarre proposition. City beat us handily twice last season because of their success in recruiting top players in the transfer market. Our failure to do so cost us.

There's no reason to don sackcloth and ashes. For at least as long as we have Fergie, I think we'll remain competitive. But if FFP doesn't put a block on the sugar daddies, continuing the winning habit of the Fergie era will be a big challenge.
  35. May 28, 2012

Plan M Banned

Oh please be true, Modric would fit Utd like a glove :drool:
  36. May 28, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

It's a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted
  37. May 28, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

Being 27 and costing in excess of 30 million makes me think its unlikely to happen unfortunately
  38. May 28, 2012

Aporkalypse Full Member

£6m to his agent.

£170,000 a week.

Not only would it be stupid to pay that it would basically cause a riot internally.
  39. May 28, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

While we have lost out on many players to City, Chelsea, Madrid and Barcelona, I don't think it has made that big of difference for us. The difference between us and City and Chelsea before their respective takovers, was that we had a solid team with 1 or 2 needs, whereas they were almost starting from scratch. We could afford to miss out on some targets and be okay, whereas without landing their targets they'd be fecked.

If you look at the players we've missed out on over the years like Robben, Benzema, Villa, Sanchez, Ozil and Hazard, yes they are good players but in hindsight the players who we used because we didn't land them, did their job and haven't dissapointed. Of course Benzema would've been better than Hernandez, but Hernandez has done his job and scored goals for us, so you can't really complain too much. Yaya Toure and Michael Essien are the only ones that missing out on has hurt us.

The problem is we can't and shouldn't go offering every target obscene wages. Personel wise City created a monster because of their wage structure. It has allowed players to act like cnuts, because it will be very difficult to offload players on that big a salary and will never allow them to seal a sensible transfer. Any player that is wanted by City, will demand a ridiculous wage because all these deals they've done have set a precedence. And if City don't offer the ridiculous wages, they won't be landing top players anymore either.
  40. May 29, 2012

solvista Shawshank redemption

Did somebody mention drunk sailors?

We've not been able to attract the best players for a long time. Ronaldo wasn't a top player when he came to us, but he feckin was when when he left.

That's what we do. We take players like Valencia, Hernadez et al and grow them.

That said. We need to strengthen ourselves in the middle and provide a means to stop relying on that scouse granny shagger up the sharp end. We do really need to get some players in this summer.