I'm not spending £72m on this lot: Sir Alex anger at being quoted outrageous prices

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by #07, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012

#07 Full Member

If after the Kagawa deal is done we've just got a lump sum of cash then I say chuck it at Bilbao and get Martinez. No point in doing a Liverpool and spending £20m here there and everywhere on average players. May as well chuck the lot at one real star quality signing and be done with the transfer window. Its not like our squad needs wholesale remodelling. One ball playing centre midfielder who can defend and attack to supplement to returns of people like Cleverley and the purchase (we hope) of Kagawa does me fine.
  2. Jun 3, 2012

Amir Full Member

I'm delighted with Kagawa, but there's only one answer: Get the midfield right. If you think you've found great signings for the midfield for good price, fine. If you need to spend money to get the midfield right, fine, spend it. Get the midfield right, and the whole team will get a huge lift. Don't get it right, and the whole team will suffer. That area of the team is holding everyone back.
  3. Jun 3, 2012

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Absolutely. I'd add some cover for left back.

We've been very lucky over last few seasons Carrick and Evra have not suffered any serious injuries. There are just no obvious players to cover their positions. Martinez is ideally suited to cover both defence and midfield, and a young left back if SAF does not have faith in Fabio would be adequate. The young lad from Crewe would be the 4th striker.
  4. Jun 3, 2012

ACEtheORIGINAL Full Member

The 32 million for modric is probably what you would have to pay. But the other two prices are inflated, but in todays market its the price you have to pay.20 million is the new 10.
  5. Jun 3, 2012

#07 Full Member

I think at a push Evans is better left back than Jones is a right back. He's played there for both us and N.Ireland in the past and if Patrice is out provided Smalling, Jones, Rio and Vida are fit we'd be fine particularly if we had Martinez in the squad. Martinez's 'the one' for me, the must sign player.
  6. Jun 3, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I'm not convinced you'd need as much as 20m to convince an Everton to let a Baines go. 11m would do the trick possibly even less.

It's a Tiote who would be over priced due to his contract extension.
  7. Jun 3, 2012

TOM_H Full Member

Sign of the times and it's only going to get worse.
    Sure fees and wages are over inflated but if you want the best players then you'll have to pay up. Refusing to pay rightly or wrong means we may well get left behind and inherit the Arsenal trophy cabinet.
    Next season will be crucial and defining.
  8. Jun 3, 2012

MUFCgal Full Member

I do agree about Martinez. I would give my right arm to see him join us, but I feel we need cover at left back as well.
  9. Jun 3, 2012

712 Formerly '711' but that was a ridiculous username!

Length of contract only comes in to it if no other club is interested, or if the player declares he will go to one club only, at his end of his contract if needs be.

If competitive bidding starts then the length of contract doesn't matter, you would still have to outbid the other club(s).
  10. Jun 3, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I don't think there's any chance in the World Everton would sell one of their best players for less than 11m.
  11. Jun 3, 2012

JB7 Full Member

12. Jun 3, 2012

Ferguson Full Member

Just imagine if Evra succumbs to a long term injury. We'd suffer in attack even if Evans could provide defensive cover there.

A left back is a priority even if Evra's form rebounds from a difficult year.
  13. Jun 3, 2012

SirAF Full Member

Exactly! We simply cannot go down that route - I'd rather spend 35-40m on Martinez than a combined 40m for the likes of Baines and Tiote.

That said, Baines and Tiote would be decent squad players, but obviously not at those outrages prices that are being quoted.
  14. Jun 3, 2012

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

I'm amazed that, even after last summer, some on here still don't get it: Levy is in a position to ask for any sum that he likes, take it or leave it.

The club's financial position remains healthy and Modric's contract still has 4 years to run. Just who or what do you fondly imagine is going to bounce Levy into selling on anything other than on his terms?
  15. Jun 3, 2012

Commadus Banned

Modric won't be leaving for anywhere near £32m. More like £38m.

HE is over rated on the caf because we are in need of a midfielder too many on here over value his importance.

Also feck Tottenham they screw us over.
  16. Jun 3, 2012

Ferguson Full Member

I think this is a controlled leak.

What its purpose is I have no idea.
  17. Jun 3, 2012

Decotron Full Member

I'll die a little inside if we buy Tiote
  18. Jun 3, 2012

finneh Full Member

Totally. If it's true that Chelsea offered £40-45m last Summer then he's not going to accept any less this Summer. Yes he's a year older and yes he has a year less on his contract... But to Levy that's going to mean sweet FA.
  19. Jun 3, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Yes there is. They sold Arteta for as little as 10m.
  20. Jun 3, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Modric.
  21. Jun 3, 2012

Havak Pokemon master

I can see us getting Modric at a similar price. Tiote might leave Newcastle but it won't be for us. Baines I reckon is bound for United / Chelsea what with Evra and Cole being 31, but not this season (unless his contract is coming to an end soon).
  22. Jun 3, 2012

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Didn't he try (and fail) to bounce Levy last summer?
  23. Jun 3, 2012

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    If Berba was worth £30m so is Modric
  24. Jun 3, 2012

Doevle Full Member

We're talking about Roman Abramovich here.
  25. Jun 3, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

If at first you don't succeed.......! Seriously, no CL football next season is what will kill Spurs. Levy may be in a strong position still to ask what he wants for his star players, but no CL next year will not help him convince players to stay.

If a reasonable bid of around £30m is made for Modric, he would be a fool to keep an unhappy player and turn that type of figure down. It is inevitable that unhappy players will leave, the only question is when and for how much. Spurs will have lost a few quid by not making the CL this time, what better way to recoup some of that lost revenue by cashing in on a player who clearly wants to leave?
  26. Jun 3, 2012

fergieisold Full Member

Yes and he failed, I don't think Levy willl manage it 2 years straight. Especially without CL football.
  27. Jun 3, 2012

Rowem Full Member

You'd hope that we could find a player who could do just as good a job as Tiote and potentially better for a much more reasonable price. Id rather us spend less on a less proven player with tge potential to become top drawer, than £20m on a player who is proven but never likely to become top drawer.

Modric was stupid signing a six year contract extension when big clubs were already showing interest. £30m would be a fair price, but with Scholes and Giggs staying on for one more year and Cleverley and Anderson pushing through, I'd rather a Fletcher replacement/alternative to a Modric anyway.

No interest in Baines. A young, versatile LB maybe. Or if a top class LB was on the cards then fair enough, spend money on a LB. But Baines isn't good enough to displace Evra imo.
  28. Jun 3, 2012

apotheosis O'Fortuna

Which says it all really, why bother at all if that's the case?
  29. Jun 3, 2012

Red_Aaron Full Member

Happily pay 32m for modric, he'd be perfect for us. I like baines as a player too, he's improved no end these last couple of seasons and would be great competition for evra, 8-10m is a more reasonable price though

No interest in tiote, he ain't all that and I'm not keen on players who piss off to the ACN for 3 weeks every other January
  30. Jun 3, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

With Chelsea's recent spending Roman has clearly abandoned the fight for solvency. They're now in the same boat as City - gambling that UEFA won't enforce the regulations.

The fate of Besiktas, and many other clubs, show that UEFA aren't reluctant to ban. Yet people persist in believing that Chelsea and City are somehow immune - that UEFA's reverence for Russian and Abab rich people will prevent them acting. They're dead ducks imo.
  31. Jun 3, 2012

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Baines is not a spring chicken and this could be his last chance to join a top club so I imagine him to push for a deal if he knows we are interested. True the years United have sold several quality players to Everton, all of them for more or less a reasonable price. I don't think Everton would stop Baines to fulfill his dreams if they where presented with a good offer and 10-12m is a fair price for a 27 year old left back. The 20m quoted in the press is just smoke screens for the gallery.

Newcastle bought Tiote for peanuts and I imagine his wage is quite low for a player of his quality. This will put pressure on Pardew to either renew his contract or sell him. There is no chances in hell they will get 20m, he's good but still unproven at highest level. I imagine that a bid close to 12-15m would be enough, otherwise they will end up with a unhappy player who have his heart somewhere else.

Last summer Levy had the upper hand. He had a quality player on low wages and a long term contract. Everything looked rosy and when the PL- season finished Tottenhams project was a success. Two weeks later everything was upside down. Without a CL place the club lost attraction and his star players where "open season" and up to grab. Modric bite the bullit last time but one year later he's patience is gone, especially when he sees Chelsea and United knocking on the door for him. (if report are true)

There is no way he will be sold for 32m or more. More likely is his market value is somewhere between 25-30m. Luca Modric is a very good player but both Chelsea and United are stocked with talent and quality, none of them will fall down if they don't get the Croatian playmaker, far from it.

Daniel Levy had his chance last summer, I think he did the right choice bit this summer is different. If he can collect close to £30m he should celebrate with Champagne but I think a small gin and tonic for the Tottenham supremo is more likely.
  32. Jun 3, 2012

What do people even mean when they say this? Andersred estimates that we'll have £70M/£80M in the bank by the end of the summer. How could we not afford to pay £35M for Luka Modric?

How hard is it to understand that we make money. That every year cash in bank grows substantially? That we've taken to buying back our debt as a way of using all the extra cash productively?

The mantra of 'value' may prevent us from overpaying, but we can easily afford large transfer fees. The sticking point is wage demands which don't fit within our pay structure. The 50% wage cap is sacrosanct.
  33. Jun 3, 2012

#07 Full Member

Wouldn't be surprised to hear Chelsea sign a £1bn sponsorship deal with a Russian or Caucasus company like City did last year with their stadium renaming. Financial fair play is a load of rubbish. Are you telling me that UEFA are going to clamp down on clubs like Inter whose wage bill is astronomical and who regularly go out and splash the borrowed cash? No chance. Financial fair play is a damp squid and rightfully so. If clubs like Chelsea, Malaga and PSG get new investment who are UEFA to say they can't spend it? Malaga were top 4 this season would never have happened before. Sugar daddies are making Spain more competitive just like they've made England more competitive. I don't see any harm in that. United will remain a force come what may and it will just underline our greatness that we continue to be the team to beat when all this dosh is in the game.
  34. Jun 3, 2012

Moriarty Full Member

Nice one Pogue
  35. Jun 3, 2012

Unless he's an unusually passive character, Spurs would be unwise to hold Modric against his will for another year.

The player would feel justified in underperforming, causing problems for the manager and friction in the dressing room. The upshot might be a bench player on high wages whom the club would sell next summer for less money.
  36. Jun 3, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

The old balance of him being worth 25m to the team that buys him but more to Tottenham. If you don't need to sell the player then you won't go lower than what you want so the money mentioned it understandable from each club's perspective on their own but as a collective it does smell of a Liverpool summer purchase.
  37. Jun 3, 2012

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

Modric is ok but prices quoted for tiote and baines is simply ridiculous...gotta agree no value in the market!
  38. Jun 3, 2012

AARRONB06 Full Member

Modric 32m is good value!

Fergie - I'm not spending any £ on any players because the Glazers won't give me no £. I wish he would just come out and be honest!
  39. Jun 3, 2012

Hellboy Full Member

Tiote is a clueless donkey, don't want him anywhere near our midfield.
  40. Jun 3, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    not at all- he would be useful in 8-14 games over the season when teams decide to press us. when opponents sit back he would be waste of space.

so - for 12-15 mil he would be a good buy.