In an all-time greatest XI discussion, is Paolo Maldini the least controvesial player?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Tommy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Feb 12, 2019

IronCroos37 New Member

peak tiki taka Barcelona will beat any best first team
  2. Feb 12, 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay Full Member

7 times out of 10 yes, you’re not wrong.
    Maybe even 8 out of 10.
  3. Feb 12, 2019

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

I'll just go off players I've seen during my lifetime of watching football (1990-).

Buffon

Cafu
    Nesta
    Baresi
    Maldini

Mattheus
    Xavi
    Zidane

Messi
    F. Ronaldo
    C. Ronaldo

I could easily have Ferdinand, De Gea in there but trying to keep from showing a United bias. Iniesta I'd be totally fine with too. I think Zanetti pushes Cafu pretty close at RB. He was an incredible player for so long.
  4. Feb 12, 2019

OutlawGER Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
    If the "best eleven" is not getting a proper preparation time together and some games plus a good coach, yeah, most other good teams would beat them. Quite comfortably.
  5. Feb 12, 2019

Pink Moon Full Member

Supports:
    Celtic
    The more I think about it the more I'm convinced he's overrated. His longevity seems to buy him bonus points in these conversations despite the fact he's been garbage for years now.

Not a patch on Manuel Neuer.

And Moore over Baresi should genuinely get you a ban ;)
  6. Feb 12, 2019

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    If my list were to play a game 20 years ago, I would choose Maldini, not today.
    Today the full backs are something completely different and I think the contribution attack / development of the game is in the long run more interesting than the defensive reliability.
  7. Feb 12, 2019

Oga on top. Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :lol::lol:
  8. Feb 12, 2019

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Buffon’s 2003-2006 peak is up there with the greatest peak of any other goalkeeper in history.
  9. Feb 12, 2019

Bokito Full Member

Agreed. If I’d made a team of the best players I’ve seen during their active careers, Maldini would definitely be in. But then again: The great Milan side was in my formative years.
  10. Feb 12, 2019

balaks Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Utter nonsense.
  11. Feb 12, 2019

ShadesOfTomato Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    No, it's Messi by a mile.
  12. Feb 12, 2019

Charlie Foley Full Member

Waheyyyy
  13. Feb 12, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Ronaldo, Messi, Pele, Maradona all have to go in. Somehow. 433 with one being an attacking midfielder, but they all have to be in as I think theyll go down as the top 4 all time attackers. Harsh on Cruyff, but some have to be left out.
    Defensively, Beckenbauer and Maldini are certs. Yashin basically the main choice for goalkeeper.

These are probably the 7 who the majority would agree on in some sense have to be shoved in. The rest is definitely up for debate. Hell, even Beckenbauer you can argue with Baresi, but generally,

Pele
    Ronaldo Messi Maradona
    ???? ????
    Maldini Beckenbauer ???? ????
    Yashin​

So fill in the midfielders, CB and right back. Plenty of debate to be had though. The 7 above are as close as you'll get to unanimous though in terms of inclusion.
  14. Feb 12, 2019

NoPace Full Member

An interesting question is if you had the time of day a new international manager hired after qualifying but a couple months before an international tournament to prepare a team, what would be your best XI? You'd definitely want to start with the core of a great team like peak Barcelona, but how many changes would you make, risking talent upgrades for losing familiarity and chemistry?

Using 2009 Barca as my spine, I think you upgrade at fullbacks keeper and for Henry and call it a day:

2002Henry--Etoo-Messi
    -----------Iniesta----Xavi
    ---------------Busquets---
    Maldini-----------------Alves
    ---------2011Pique-Puyol------
    -----------------Neuer----------

Choosing Alves and Henry is probably a sign of a lack of imagination, but their prime versions do seem like perfect fit. You need a goalscorer comfortable cutting in from the left, I cant say with certainty if Garrincha, Boniek, Rummenigge or another great makes more sense there. Chose Maldini as the Abidal style more conservative fullback and also get some more size for defending set pieces. Maybe a more attacking option makes sense. Neuer in net for the high line sweeping and ball skills.

I didn't risk benching a CB since chemistry there is key, but probably upgrading Puyol would be worth it. Someone good on the ball and comfortable with a high line. Maybe Maldini should be at CB next to Pique and a different LB?
  15. Feb 12, 2019

Chipper Full Member

Yeah, Maldini has to be the least controversial. Who'd be his biggest competition? Someone like Facchetti, Breitner, Nilton Santos?
  16. Feb 12, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

With all these comparison threads what we need to do is to break down each position into broad categories. Wide forward, wide playmaker, winger etc. This way like for like comparisons can be made. If you want a balanced left back (not just attacking, nor just a defensive full back) then Maldini is certainly your man. On a related note peak Maldini is a full-back not a CB
  17. Feb 12, 2019

totaalvoetbal Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    Ruud Krol and Antonio Cabrini spring to mind.
  18. Feb 12, 2019

kef9 New Member

Can’t believe no one is mentioning zanetti at right back. I personally would have him over Cafu.

Also Thuram was an absolute beast at right back and is worthy of consideration?
  19. Feb 12, 2019

Hound Dog Full Member

Supports:
    Whoever I bet on
    Buffon has been extremely highly rated since 1999 or so. His peak was more than ten years go. Longevity is a bonus, sure, but he was absolutely sensational in his prime.
  20. Feb 12, 2019

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

For me Maldini is not the de facto left back choice. Facchetti, Krol and Carlos were as good albeit they offered a different dimension and different facets to the table. They were much more penetrating and more comfortable on the ball... and would thrive in modern game. Maldini was a fantastic defender but his attacking play is very overrated.

Carlos Alberto is my number one right back and by a distance too. Phenomenal full back who was more talented than Maldini in terms of being an all round package.

I’d say Maradona and Pele are shoe-ins as well.

Di Stefano and Beckenbauer would get in too.

Breitner due to his all round ability as a footballer might get the left back slot as he is proven there although he went on to become one of the great CMs.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  21. Feb 12, 2019

arnie_ni Full Member

Pet hate of mine. Im 28 and obviously i understand Charlton was class, i mean ge was our all time goal scorer, but i simply can't put him in my utd 11 because he's not from my era
  22. Feb 12, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

Based on what I've watched life

GK: Buffon

RB: Zanetti
    CB: Baresi
    CB: Ferdinand
    LB: Maldini

DM: Rijkaard
    DM: Xavi

AMR: Ronaldo
    AMC: Maradona
    AML: Messi

STK: Henry
  23. Feb 12, 2019

Neuer is to Buffon what Foster is for DDG.
  24. Feb 12, 2019

Sacchi's AC Milan would go toe to toe against them. Put SAF on the helm and I dare to say that they would be favourites.
  25. Feb 12, 2019

Negan New Member

Schmeichel
    Cafu Baresi Maldini Carlos
    Best Zidane Gullit CR7
    Messi Pele

I don’t care about balance.
  26. Feb 12, 2019

RAVred New Member

Messi and Ronaldo 9 are also sure locks for me but can see both being controversial to many.
  27. Feb 12, 2019

JamesB__ Full Member

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Any all time XI without Messi is simply wrong, so I’d say he’s the least controversial.
  28. Feb 12, 2019

WolfInSharp'sClothing Full Member

Supports:
    Wolves
    Every player in my starting XI (other than Cryuff) has won a World Cup, some alomost single handedly.

And Cryuff revolutionised the game more than any other player. So yeah, they stay benched!
  29. Feb 12, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

Maldini never won the WC
  30. Feb 12, 2019

Gio 7 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Supports:
    Rangers
    Probably yes. As exquisite as the spine of any all-time XI would be, you can make compelling cases for others in there (e.g. only one of Baresi/Beckenbauer, Xavi/Rijkaard/Matthaus system dependent, which 10 do you build around, are you better off with a pure goalscorer at no9 compared to an all-rounder like Ronaldo or Pele, etc). Maldini would also be arguably first choice in both a back four and a back three system. He ticks boxes system-wise (back 3 or back 4), tactically - modern zonal, pressing and aggressive offside, versatility (shone at LB and CB), era (part of the great defensive generation of the 1980s and 1990s Serie A, but still holding his own in the 2000s).
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  31. Feb 12, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester Utd
    Maldini, Beckenbauer, Maradona, Pelé and Cruyff are 0% controversial.

With Messi controversy only arises if that means being forced to place CR in there just because Messi is there too.
  32. Feb 12, 2019

Denis79 Full Member

Think you got it spot on.
  33. Feb 12, 2019

harms Way Staff

Beckenbauer gets in without any argument. He is the best non-attacker in the whole history of football.
    Maldini is a safe choice for a left back position, unless you're in a dire need of an attacking left back (pick one of Facchetti/Brehme/Carlos in that case).
    I always prefer to build my XI from Rijkaard, who is miles ahead of any other defensive midfielder and belongs to the highest tier of midfielders alongside Matthäus and Xavi.

Maradona #10, Messi on the right and Pelé as a forward, you can't make a greatest XI without them.
  34. Feb 12, 2019

WolfInSharp'sClothing Full Member

Supports:
    Wolves
    You’re right, but I think we probably both agree that he keeps his place.
  35. Feb 12, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

Probably. Problem is, arguably the 6 best players of all time are Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Cruyff and Di Stefano (in no particular order). 2 of them have to miss in the all time XI.

I think that only Beckenbauer and to a lesser degree Maldini make the team without any controversy. All other positions can be argued (yes, even Pele's considering that Messi's best years came as No. 9).
  36. Feb 12, 2019

Gio 7 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Supports:
    Rangers
    Playing devil’s advocate, but it’s not unreasonable to opt for Baresi in the centre of defence which means Beckenbauer has to go in midfield and compete with the best defensive midfielder of all time in Rijkaard, the best box-to-box midfielder in Matthaus, and the best ball retaining hub in Xavi. Obviously you can still find him a spot because he meshes each of the above players like nobody else, but it’s not as straightforward a selection as others in the XI for me at least.
  37. Feb 12, 2019

paulscholes18 Full Member

Schmeichel
    Cafu Moore Beckenbauer Carlos
    Matthaus Di stefano
    Best Messi Ronaldo
    Eusebio
  38. Feb 12, 2019

totaalvoetbal Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    I would say you need to consider the change in offside rules and the back pass which happened in 1990 and 1992 if my memory serves me well.

They changed the way attacks and defences worked.

I would split football into two eras. The pre 1992 and post 1992.

Pre 1992 team:

..........................Andoni Zubizarreta......................
    ...............................Franz Beckenbauer.......................
    .......Carlos Alberto.........Rijkaard...............Ruud Krol.......
    ............................Neeskens.....van Hanegem.........
    .........Johnny Rep........Johan Cruijff..............Rob Rensenbrink.....
    ....................................van Basten...................................

Coach: Rinus MIchels

Post 92 team:

....................................Manuel Neuer:.....................
    ............Dani Alves...........Nesta...........Maldini...........
    .........................................Busquets............................
    ...........................Xavi..............................Iniesta...................
    .........Robben....................Messi..............Ribery.....................
    ........................................Ronaldo de Lima.................

or

....................................Manuel Neuer:.....................
    ............Dani Alves...........Nesta...Baresi........Marcelo...........
    .........................................Busquets............................
    ...........................Xavi..............................Iniesta...................
    .........Pedro Rodriguez..........Messi..............Cristiano Ronaldo.....................

Coach: Pep Guardiola
  39. Feb 13, 2019 at 00:03

the_irish123 New Member

How would Luis Ronaldo be controversial? Whos a better striker? Muller or Van Basten? No way. Unless you improvise a winger
  40. Feb 13, 2019 at 00:16

Br1_ovi New Member

Supports:
    F.C. Barcelona
    Roberto Carlos > Maldini easy.