1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Individual player awards

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Oscie, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018

Oscie Full Member

It's nice if a United player makes it into the Team of the Year, or the wins the PFA Player of the year award, or gets shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or. But am I the only one who has never particularly cared that much?

It's nice if a United player picks up Goal of the Month, Goal of the Season, Rear of the Year - it's worth a second or two's thought; an "Oh, that's nice" - but then for me that's it. I don't see it as something that it's my concern to celebrate. Some people really do seem to care, and really want their player to be awarded the individual honour. To the point where I'm fairly sure I'm the odd one out by really not giving a shiny shite. I genuinely don't get the interest from a fan's perspective. Your team just lost 3-0 on a Saturday but good news - your skipper was voted Barclays Player of the Month for October. So fecking what?

I know these award ceremonies and accolades generate a lot of interest and I think it's clear that interest among fans is well established and fans enjoy seeing their players win trinkets - but I've never, ever understood why anyone who isn't that player gives a toss.
  2. Feb 4, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Some people really care if a player from another club wins an award too.
  3. Feb 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I hate them. It's a team game.

I do think if you asked some players if they'd rather win a league title or a player of the year award, they'd take the meaningless popularity prize.
  4. Feb 4, 2018

krazyrobus Full Member

Never cared for individual accolades much like I don't care for the so and so is best player\wanker\throat singer in his position threads that pop up, particularly when DDG has ridiculous game.
  5. Feb 4, 2018

Moby Dick

A little search of your posts with Kante or Hazard in them might be interesting.
  6. Feb 4, 2018

Oscie Full Member

That's even stranger. If someone doesn't support a club that the player plays for, what dog do they even have in the fight? I can kind of understand a Spurs fan having the slightest interest in whether a Spurs player wins an individual award. Can't understand for a second why a Spurs fan would care who wins an award that only Everton, City, Chelsea and United players have been shortlisted for. Seems about as interesting as caring about what the neighbours are having for breakfast.
  7. Feb 4, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Going through my old posts is likely to be quite uninteresting but go for it!
  8. Feb 4, 2018

Coleyoscar New Member

The list of winners of the Football Writers' Player of the Year at least has the great benefit of illustrating the anti-United bias of football hacks. It's almost inevitably a member of the title winners - except when United are champions. Guess which side will supply the recipient this year anyone?