Injuries injuries injuries

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rams, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011

kundalini Full Member

2. Dec 15, 2011

GCHQ Glazer Crevice Headquarters

Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
    Very interesting analysis. I'll pick out some of the most relevant information.

So far this season the top six clubs have reported the following number of injuries:

2011-2012

Man United - 40

Arsenal - 35

Tottenham -28

Chelsea - 15

Liverpool - 13

Man City - 12

This is the largest number of injuries that we've had by this stage of the season in the last ten years. The average number of injuries suffered by this point in the season is 27.
  3. Dec 15, 2011

Raoul Administrator

Its not that bad. Most of our injured players will return within the next two weeks.
  4. Dec 15, 2011

And two very important players won't.

We've suffered from 28 more injuries than City so far this season! That is an absolutely 'massive' difference and as far as I'm concerned we wouldn't currently be sitting two points behind them in the table if that difference didn't exist.
  5. Dec 15, 2011

IrishLegend Full Member

I think the number of injuries is generally irrelevant. A list of Injury weeks would be better / more interesting comparison (i.e. the total sum that all players were injured for).

I mean 10 3 day sprains aren't going to be as bad as 1 12 month lay off. Especially if it's a key player.
  6. Dec 15, 2011

Burrow Still enjoys cocks

I think it's hugely relevant to be honest. So many injuries is bound to cause players to lose fitness, damage the rythm of the team and cause major rotation which we've already witnessed. A single, one year injury is obviously very damaging to that one player, but as a whole I think it's easier to deal with for the team and the manager. So many small injuries means that many players needs games simply to regain matchfitness and sharpness that's needed to be good enough for the toughest fixtures, and hardly gives players any chance of getting in form.
  7. Dec 15, 2011

Rood nostradamus like gloater

Hopefully it will balance itself out over the course of the season and they will suffer later on - best time would be when the African Nations is on and they lose the Toures
  8. Dec 15, 2011

Ekeke Full Member

Compared to us City dont have too many players who pick up injuries often, the sole balancing act there attempted by Hargreaves. Most likely thats because of how City is a recently constructed squad and they have sensibly stayed away from adding players who are often unavailable.
  9. Dec 15, 2011

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

It's not just about the length of time and how frequently they get injured, I reckon another crucial area is in whether the injuries are 'avoidable' (unavoidable being injuries coming from bad tackles etc etc), with unavoidable injuries being blamed on bad luck, the remainder would be a clear indication on how often we suffer injuries which can be avoided.

I seem to recall Rio and the twins often being ruled out from matches due to strains they get during training. It's in this area where we should be looking at for improvements.
  10. Dec 15, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    It's not about "adding players who are often unavailable". City's signing of Hargreaves is the only obvious example where this happened. Our sick-notes have been mainly players in the tail end of their career or young kids still getting used to the rigours of PL football. With Fletcher and Valencia being the obvious exceptions, thanks to missing almost the whole of last season through pure bad luck.

City's squad doesn't have that age profile because they've bulk bought players in their prime.
  11. Dec 15, 2011

Dion Full Member

It's odd, we have like 6 players in the squad between 24 and 29 (peak physical years), Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Young, Fletcher and Lindegaard. That's 3 wingers, a reserve goalkeeper, someone with a debilitating condition and Rooney.

How many other teams have 1 player between 24 and 29 down the spin of their team? Hardly surprising we're injury prone and inconsistent.
  12. Dec 26, 2011

feck it. Evans out for two weeks with a calf injury.

Any update on Rio?
  13. Dec 26, 2011

Kelvin Banned

all dropping like flies, utterly ridiculous.
  14. Dec 26, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

Hopefully Rio and Smalling are back against Newcastle at least. Jones should be back too.
  15. Dec 26, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

what? evans is injured as well?

any update on smalling?
  16. Dec 26, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

I heard on TV that Smalling had a throat problem.
  17. Dec 26, 2011

Kelvin Banned

Alex Ferguson expects Jonny Evans to be out of action for a fortnight after he was forced out of Manchester United’s 5-0 win over Wigan with a calf injury at Old Trafford this afternoon.

Evans was United’s only fit central defender heading into the game and failed to reappear for the second half as Dimitar Berbatov bagged a hat-trick.

And Ferguson confirmed the Northern Ireland defender will not make the New Year’s Eve encounter with Blackburn.

“Jonny came off injured. He has a calf injury and will be out for two weeks,” Ferguson told BBC Radio Five Live.

“We have had a nightmare the last few days. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling have both been ill. Rio Ferdinand called off yesterday with a back injury and Jonny Evans has come off at half-time.

“It does put you under pressure.”

Jonny Evans added to Manchester United injury list | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

kin'hell rio back problem again :(
  18. Dec 26, 2011

Godfather Full Member

smalling and Jones should be back for the next game then no?
  19. Dec 26, 2011

Every year this happens with our centre-backs. Every. fecking. Year.
  20. Dec 26, 2011

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I don't think we know yet. Jonesy was supposed to be ready for this game.
  21. Dec 26, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

rio..back injury...again???
  22. Dec 26, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

smalling and jones should be back for saturday.
  23. Dec 26, 2011

Skholesy Full Member

We were very lucky today, facing a off form wigan side which became even worse when they went a man down. Had they remained with 11 men and Evans went off it could have been a lot different.

We were lucky we were not playing a better team than wigan today. Our injury record is terrible, these players have to come back!
  24. Dec 26, 2011

Amir Full Member

If we were lucky, or had any decent luck, we wouldn't have ended up with ALL five classy centerhalves out at the same time...
  25. Dec 26, 2011

Zen86 Full Member

Same shit every year
  26. Dec 26, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

I said it before and i'll say it again, we sold O'Shea a season too early

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/new-full-back-needed-334843/index2.html

we've seen for the past couple of seasons a history of injury problems in defence, with Ferdinand and Vidic getting a year old, I can't see how we would have thought the problem would be lessening?

The twins are, well, the twins. We all know they cant go more than a couple of games without picking up injuries. Evans is also somewhat prone to niggly injuries.

Which leaves Smalling, Jones and Evra as 'reliable', one of which was a kid we probably didnt plan on buying this season.

I really hope we pick even a loan signing up in January, or how about that young fella from Palace?
  27. Dec 26, 2011

Skholesy Full Member

Well you know what i mean, we're unlucky overall but luckily for us we faced and out-of-luck Wigan instead of a more in-luck team. Oh well, tough luck!
  28. Dec 26, 2011

KanieKaned Full Member

ABC it's as easy as 123, as simple as LVG
    getting his crimbo ride in, whoops there goes me back again, feckitty feck

or did it playing with the kids, all that bending over putting together kids toys does him no good during the festive season
  29. Dec 26, 2011

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I think it's safe to say he'll struggle with his back problems the rest of his career.
  30. Dec 26, 2011

Smores Full Member

Thank god we're only playing Blackburn next. Having so many defenders out at once is astounding. Still don't think we need to bring anyone in, we have enough backup and it's just an unfortunate situation.
  31. Dec 26, 2011

Jonno Full Member

Its a Case of take it or leave it with Rio, and i'd take it anyday. If we can get 25-30 games out of him and use the other great young talents to replace him when he is out then so be it
  32. Dec 26, 2011

EdWeatherall TFD

Was fearing that when he failed to come out for the second half, was hoping it wasn't that and was just a case of keeping our only fit CB rested and uninjured for the games coming

SAF did say initially when Rio missed Fulham that he would be in line for Blackburn, hopefully Jones and/or Smalling will be ok
  33. Dec 26, 2011

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Evans is out? feck that. i mean feck that fecking bad streak of injuries. whos fecking next?
  34. Dec 26, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    talk of bringing in Cahill...may not be too far fetched.
  35. Dec 26, 2011

Edmeiste Banned

Im sorry but that's a bit much. When Rafael first came, he got a run in the team. It wasnt until his concussion last season did he start to pick up niggling injuries. Missing 10 weeks at the beginning of the season didnt help either. Until then, he was at least fit and did quite well for us.

Was anyone worrying about this at the beginning of the season? I would think not. It's plain unlucky and would have been unfortunate. What happens when all the players come back? Where would O'Shea get a game? He's given us some great years of service and I feel for his sake, he was well within his own right to leave to play some regular football.

I know we've had some issues with injuries in the past but I think we've just been unlucky again. I find it funny actually that while most of the top 5 teams field basically the same back four/five about every single game, we're changing our back line a good bit but still doing well. Teams would be in absolute shambles if they were in our position but this is part of the reason of why we have a big squad.

I dont really feel we should be dealing with this but we are and while it would be great having Johnny to fill in, he'd just get shunted back onto the bench shortly afterwards. These young ones need games and experience and this is the time to get it. I'm not happy about Vidic being out for the season. Speaking of, it was an absolute freak of an injury to put out our captain and something I dont expect to happen again. Nonetheless, it gives the younger ones a chance to prove themselves and they wouldn't have got that with O'Shea in the team. It's time we move forward and it's a shame that even our young ones have fallen victim. However, we should be okay in the next couple of weeks and I'm sure we wont be talking about this much longer.
  36. Dec 26, 2011

clearly people were thinking about it or we wouldn't have had that thread (and several like it) in the summer!

We may be 'unfortunate' but the point is that we have been 'unfortunate' now for 3 seasons in a row. When does it become something that is no longer 'unfortunate' and something that we should plan for?

as for where would O'Shea get a game? Take your pick. LB, RB, CB or CM
  37. Dec 26, 2011

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

I saw the statistics in another thread, and this season has actually been worse than earlier seasons.

Our defensive injuries are a problem though. Of course, going into a season with three specialized full backs, two of whom are constantly injured, would always have it's effect.
  38. Dec 26, 2011

thats called "burying your head in the sand"

It may be a bad injury but it had to happen sooner or later. The way Vidic puts his body on the line, its amazing he hasn't had more injuries, before now. However, now he's had it, even when he comes back, its likely that he will start to pick up niggles.

If by "ok" you mean, get used to seeing midfielders and attackers playing in defence, then yes, we'll be ok
  39. Dec 26, 2011

then off course there is the Rio effect, its clear his back is never going to allow him to be a consistent starter anymore.
  40. Dec 26, 2011

You can't start a season planning your squad based on an assumption that young players will be constantly injured, even if they both have a history of being injury-prone

Besides, Rafael's injuries this season are unprecedented. Fabio's had his problems but Rafio's generally been not much worse than the rest of the squad.