Introducing the RedCafe.net Podcast

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Niall, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Aug 15, 2009

Steve Full Member

:p
  2. Aug 15, 2009

jveezy Fo' shizzle

Yeah I noticed that too when I was listening, but I don't know how long it's been since the last one they made. If it's been a long time then it stands to reason that they would like to talk about everything that has happened since, which could very well include a lot of old news that we've talked to death and old arguments we've heard thousands of times before from our own posters.

Now that they've got the old stuff out of the way, and since this is going to be a weekly podcast, I think all the topics they discuss are going to be a lot fresher. It would do them a lot of good to release episodes no more than a day or two after the latest United match though.

Anyways great job Steve, Dan, and Dov. I'm glad to see you now have forum accounts, and I hope to see you guys around in other threads besides this one. I strongly encourage you guys to get active in all the forums and not just the United and Football ones so you get the full RedCafe experience.
  3. Aug 15, 2009

afrocentricity First Team Regular

:D, genuinely forgot... and don't worry, I'm from darn sarf too.
  4. Aug 16, 2009

schiavone1 Full Member

Cheers for the feedback guys, we will be developing the pod throughout the season. We will of course include your suggestions and ideas as we move forward.

Cheers

Dov aka 'The Scot'
  5. Aug 16, 2009

Alex Banned

I enjoyed the first episode, good job fellas
  6. Aug 16, 2009

Spuds actually look quite good here....
  7. Aug 16, 2009

Oops, wrong thread :lol:
  8. Aug 16, 2009

Tumbling-Dice Caf Nostradamus

Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
    Just delete your post instead of spamming up the thread. :rolleyes:
  9. Aug 16, 2009

You three lads need to check your PMs. Top right of the page, click on messages.

Cheers.
  10. Aug 16, 2009

Says the guy with 10k posts in 1 yr...
  11. Aug 17, 2009

jgraham Company man, hitched.

punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
    I haven't had chance to listen yet, but from reading this isn't Steve from down south?

Thanks again for a mention merman, but you can stop now if you want - it's getting a bit boring.
  12. Aug 17, 2009

bazalini The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012

A few questions/orders from me....

1. How is it recorded?
    2. Could you maybe play some Westlife/hearsay every 1/2 mins
    3. Seeing as 33% of Man Utd's following is Irish - Do we really need 3 UK accents. This is a polite way of saying you need an Irish presenter
    4. A spot for Diver
    5. How can you post in the main - yet have only 1 post. Surely Newbies will be annoyed
    6. Is Dave - really weastedevil?
    7. Who owns the rights to this. Is it Niall? Maybe we could get Elvis and Sparky to sell some advertising to Man Utd companies so the thing is sponsored....
    8. Could we maybe get some live streaming for when it is recorded like Setanta used to with Talksport
  13. Aug 17, 2009

Steve Full Member

I am indeed mate.

I am guessing by that post you're not? I don't understand the reference if that is indeed the case!
  14. Aug 17, 2009

Check your PM Steve - top right of the screen, click on messages.
  15. Aug 17, 2009

jgraham Company man, hitched.

punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
    :lol:

Nope, i'm from St Helens which is pretty much in between Manchester & Liverpool. It's a strange reference that's for sure!

I notice looking back you thought you may have been getting a rough time of it because you are from Down South, i'm pretty certain that won't be the case as there are a fair few southerners posting on here!

Anyways good luck with it all!
  16. Aug 17, 2009

Anyone know a good program to get podcasts on a BB? Or maybe I can get it in viigo?
  17. Aug 17, 2009

Steve Full Member

Sorry mate, replied now. :)
  18. Aug 17, 2009

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    I think you'll find this is a strictly non-Oirish podcast Baz.
  19. Aug 17, 2009

That would be racist....
  20. Aug 17, 2009

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    Don't shoot the messenger :nono:
  21. Aug 17, 2009

Fergie's gum Full Member

Great effort. Keep it up. Makes a great change to listening to that fat twat Alan Green
  22. Aug 18, 2009

Bearded but no genius Full Member

Been listening for the last year (and before, under the significantly less impressive 'previous management'), and it is the best regularly broadcast fan-cast that is out there.

When you really think about it, this is the best way for Niall to do this. Otherwise there would be some very difficult decisions and the inevitable pissing matches over who gets to do or run what. Now there are no auditions, there are no arguments, there is an experienced team with a long-term track record who come in hitting the ground running.

If you aren't a previous listener and you're disappointed by this for some reason (I presume largely because this isn't a grass roots Caf show from the start), or are asking them for this and that from the outset, you aren't really being fair to Steve, Dan, and Dov until you've heard the show a few times and also until you've given the team a chance to adapt to their new surroundings and the input they will get from the Caf.

The bad news from the podcasting team's point of view is you'll be sucked into the mad world that is the Caf just to find out what your audience thinks of you!

It takes a lot of effort to organise doing a podcast every week, and lots of us can barely organise logging on over here to bait scousers after days like Sunday. So you deserve heaps of credit.

Mind you, from someone who does listen, my only piece of criticism would be that for the love of God you please do not embarrass yourselves with any more 'Legends Profiles' this year.

For anyone who has missed them, they tend to go a bit like this:

Aside from that, there is a ton to recommend the show, and it is a ready-to-go professional fan-cast (if that is not an oxymoron). They've got a full season under their belt of delivering consistently enjoyable shows and (this is a very difficult thing in the podcast world) doing it ON TIME every week.

I'd suggest anyone who is skeptical just give it a chance for a few weeks, and also give them a chance to adapt to the Caf. Remember, it isn't going to be full of Cafness or even awareness of the Caf because it wasn't a Caf podcast until now.

They will adjust to the input they get, and you might find you get used to and like them the longer you listen. In time some more worthy Cafites might even end up participating on the podcast if they feel it is a good idea.

But even now it is a Caf-branded podcast, they're not exactly going to cut off their potential audience base by filling it with in-jokes and such, presuming they don't think we're just a bunch of loons.

The Caf unfiltered is always going to be best found on the Caf itself.

This podcast is already an excellent listen, and if you give it a chance it will only get better now it is associated with the Caf.

Good luck to them.
  23. Aug 18, 2009

theimperialinn Full Member

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
    Just to let you know that for an appropriate fee I am prepared to make an appearence.

You've at least got to get Ralphie on there!
  24. Aug 18, 2009

Steve Full Member

Thanks for your comments Jason, really appreciated. We recorded last night and unfortunately for you we did include another legends profile! I do take your point though.

An idea that I suggested to the guys was a legends profile (or a former player's profile if that's too easy) that reveals a few key and perhaps unusual facts about them but we don't actually reveal the identity of the player. We could then put that question to you Cafites but I guess the only way it would work is if people e-mail in their entries?

We have dropped a few more references to the forum in this week's show and hopefully we can get even more immeresed and keep improving with every week.

We are definitely hoping to get members involved in the Pod, will keep you all posted!
  25. Aug 18, 2009

jveezy Fo' shizzle

You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. :)
  26. Aug 18, 2009

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We have been waiting for nearly a decade for people to realise that about the Caf. ;)

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
  27. Aug 18, 2009

zub2007 Full Member

Great work, looking forward to this. Is there anywayy to register to the podcast so i can get the updates on the my phone.
  28. Aug 18, 2009

gaffs Full Member

I posted this in another thread thats gone dead, so i will repost it in here where the podcast discussion is happening......

I think what you guys need to be doing to looking though the forums, get involved and pick up on what is being discussed.

You somehow need to make it apply to RedCafe.

Based upon your podcasts from last year and your first from this year, you are going to have to get more in-depth into the subjects that you covered and start covering a boarder range of issues around the club.

You may have already noticed that there is some really insightful posters on here and some really good debate going on. If your doing a podcast in the name of the caf, then your level of analysis has to reflect that and build upon it. Not an easy task because most subjects will have been done to death on the forums.

Your podcast was good last year, but it felt like it was aimed towards the more “casual” United fan – it was a bit lightweight.

If your now trying to appeal to the members of the caf, some of whom eat, sleep, drink United, then I think you boys are going to have to up your games.

Good Luck.
  29. Aug 18, 2009

Steve Full Member

Thanks for the advice Gaffs, we'll be doing our best to improve the podcast as best we can throughout the season.

Listen out for a mention of your great self during the latest show by the way!
  30. Aug 18, 2009

gaffs Full Member

Thanks Southerner.

Cant imagine that its going to be complementary!!!
  31. Aug 18, 2009

rimaldo Seriously friggin' hot

i think it's a good addition and keeps redcafe ahead of the game so to speak. but i'm scared by change. you whippersnappers with your new fangled ways. i yearn for the good old days of the telegram. far more personal and special. perhaps each one of us could receive a personal telegram instead of a generic show on the wireless? i'd like mine sung to me by a barber shop quartet. many thanks for your time and undoubted co-operation.
  32. Aug 19, 2009

F-Red Full Member

Good second episode, i enjoyed it. I agree with the comments about going more in depth on the analysis side, felt the review of the Birmingham game didn't cover much about tactics both of United and Birmingham (a big point of our performance was down to Birmingham getting 10 men behind the ball & a deep back line).

Technically, you guys need to normalise your recording properly. Theres a couple of spikes on the waveform due to the jingles, look into soft limiting to ensure you can get a generous (not overly loud) volume of the podcast. If you need some tips, then drop me a PM & i can assist. Also Steve, you should get the same mic setup as Dov as his seems to have a lot more clarity in the recording! :p

Check out the Guardians Football podcast, it's a good benchmark for how a good podcast is produced :)
  33. Aug 19, 2009

Steve Full Member

How did you find the sound quality in the first episode compared to the second? We have used different programs to record and edit in both shows so would be good to see which, in your opinion, produces the better output.
  34. Aug 19, 2009

gaffs Full Member

Would i be right in saying the 3 of you are not in the same room?
  35. Aug 19, 2009

Steve Full Member

You would be right.
  36. Aug 19, 2009

gaffs Full Member

It does sound like it - it cant be easy doing it that way.

Podcast was good, I listened on the way to work this morning. I think taking a current thread and discussing it makes a good feature.

You can tell you boys are new to the forum becasue to me names like Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber ans TrippingStoned now seem very normal.

IMO, its RedCafe, not RedCaf. That’s how you pronounce the restaurant inside Old Trafford anyway.

But for short, its "The Caf". Caf members are often referred to as Caftards.

Keep up the good work Southerner.
  37. Aug 19, 2009

F-Red Full Member

The second one sounded better in terms of quality, just need to watch the noise levels in order to get a good recording.
  38. Aug 24, 2009

zub2007 Full Member

Does anyone know what the URL is so i can subscribe to this podcast.
  39. Aug 24, 2009

Merman Guest

40. Aug 24, 2009

zub2007 Full Member

thanks for that