Is Herrera making a bid for Captain?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Maticmaker, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2019

podurban2 Full Member

I guess this is controversial then but.. No please. I don’t think he belongs in a top tier team and in an ideal world he should compete for a spot in the first XI, not be a nailed on starter. No way.
  2. Feb 19, 2019

Jacob Full Member

Pogba C
    Herrera VC

Herrera being the informal captain.
  3. Feb 19, 2019

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

I'd like to see him get it. Plays for his team and for the club and fans and gives his all in every game. One thing you can never complain of when it comes to Ander is that he hasn't given his all.
  4. Feb 19, 2019

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

Need to first get him signed up,his contract expires this summer...I don’t mind him getting the captaincy,although I think it’s just a ceremonial role these days...
  5. Feb 19, 2019

Irwin99 Full Member

Depends on how you want to play I guess. I wouldn't put Herrera anywhere near Barca, PSG or Real's midfield because I think they prefer a different type of midfielder/play-style generally. However, Liverpool reached the champions league final last year and are fighting for the league this season and I don't believe that Herrera wouldn't get a game in their midfield if he was with them, he's ideal for their set up.
  6. Feb 19, 2019

Tony247 Full Member

not true. in all sports captain is nucleus. ask rugby team how they respect captain. same goes in football. a strong captain on and off field is very imp for a successful team. Roy Keane's presence itself used to lift fighting moral of the entire team.

Just for an example, Ballack before joining chelsea was impressed by terry's leadership and he said one of the reasons he joined chelsea was to play with JT. He spoke very highly of him, how JT made him feel welcome and helped him settled down in london.
  7. Feb 19, 2019

Mr H Full Member

He always looked like captain material. you can critisize his abilities but never this point. team player, very likeable and you'd think that he's at united since he was a teenager.

It would be a crime if the club does not manage to renew his contract.
  8. Feb 19, 2019

WR10 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Young should keep the armband. Players see him as the elderly and wiser figure in the changing room and on the pitch. He also has a good handle of ref management on the field and the fan connection on the field too.
    We all know pogba and Herrera are the actual leaders in the changing rooms. Whenever you catch glimpses of pogba in the tunnels he’s the one with the rallying speeches. You don’t need to burden them with an armband when they’re already displaying leadership. The Defense also look to DDG as their leader but he doesn’t need the armband either. We are lucky to have a strong backbone of leaders in our team again!
  9. Feb 19, 2019

JohnnyKills Full Member

So why is it common practice at several club and international sides to simply give the captaincy to the oldest player? Do you know better than them?
  10. Feb 19, 2019

Raven Full Member

I think the armband would make a huge difference, certainly to a player like Herrera, I feel it would bring out the best in him.
  11. Feb 19, 2019

Obi_nug New Member

Keane is a great example here of why Herrera could be a good choice for captain. Keane wasn’t the most skilled by far, but his presence gave reassurance to the rest of the team. I think the players are starting to see that in Herrera, hes busting a gut in every area on the pitch doing what he loves for a club that he loves. I don’t think it will happen (Pogba will take the armband next), but i wouldn’t be upset if it did.
  12. Feb 19, 2019

lsd Full Member

No Utd captain would ever allow Mark Noble to carry him off the pitch
  13. Feb 20, 2019

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots Scout

The more I watch that interaction with Sanchez the more I like him. That's old fashioned passion you don't see so much of these days.
  14. Feb 20, 2019

Shez Full Member

I mean we did have rooney...
  15. Feb 20, 2019

MUM New Member

Hahaha, ffs, Noble was showing him what you can do, when you are a captain.

I believe Ander would make a great captain for the club.
  16. Feb 20, 2019

lsd Full Member

Yeah I would have liked to see Noble try and lift Roy Keane or Eric off the pitch
  17. Feb 20, 2019

King7Eric Full Member

Ashley Young is gonna be the club captain next season. At the end of next season, if the club are gonna follow the policy of simply giving the armband to a senior long serving player, it'll probably be either Smalling or Herrera. But seeing as how Herrera will be 31 by the start of the 2020/21 season, I guess the club will simply the captaincy to Pogba as Herrera may no longer be first choice by that time.
  18. Feb 22, 2019

Pearson Full Member

Nowadays when money, instead of honor or character, plays the major role in football, having Herrera in the team is a pure blessing for me. His talent has been wasted for a few years, sad to say.
  19. Feb 22, 2019

Andersonson New Member

He's a fighter, but we know nothing about how he's regarded in the dressing room. Im not even sure he's a starter next season.

Herrera has been great since Ole has come in and all, but if his captain materaial I dont know, I think Ole and the boys knows alot better than us. Im fine with Young for now, the players seems to like him alot.
  20. Feb 22, 2019

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

He's been, in my eyes, the most underrated player we've had post SAF. Never got the starts he deserved under other managers and always seems to deliver in the best games, rarely puts in a performance under 7, and is so passionate to boot. Personally I think he'd be a great captain and I hope we hold on to him.
  21. Feb 22, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

His talent has been wasted up until OGS took over, how LVG and Jose didn't regularly play this man (over Fellaini especially) is just baffling.
  22. Feb 22, 2019

R.N7 Such tagline. Wow!

Supports:
    a wife, three kids and Eboue
    Young is a great captain and he'll probably be made the official one in the summer.

Captain suitability:

Young
    Valencia
    Smalling
    Pogba

Herrera
  23. Feb 22, 2019

Sepukku Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I think Herera is the best captain material we have. His only flaw in this respect is the ability to have a voice based on his performance on the field - if he is maintaing a good level of performances he should be captain.

Pogba comes second due his quality as a footballer that recommends him. You can earn the respect of the team when you carry it to succes and authorithy is possible based on that alone.

Maybe Young would be my 3rd choice.

Smalling and Valencia aren't captain material.
  24. Feb 22, 2019

BiggusCrickus New Member

Thought the way he spoke after the Chelsea game was brilliant and i was like thats who i want to have as captain of Manchester United. I think the added responsibility would also add to his game
  25. Feb 22, 2019

Marrakesh New Member

I can see Herrera being a great captain. He clearly loves the club, works his balls off, and is a great role model. At 29, he's also young enough to get a few years out of him in the role.

Young would be a good shout if we weren't (I hope) trying to upgrade on him in the summer.

Pogba is my first choice but that is dependent on him signing a contract extension - something that needs to be done sooner rather than later. We really need to get Sanchez off the books so that the contracts we negotiate with new and existing players aren't compared to the ridiculous salary he's on.
  26. Feb 22, 2019

Schmeichel=God New Member

If I could actually create new threads this was top of my list to bring up for discussion. Being a newb is rough.

Herrera absolutely could be captain. To be honest if I was manager he would have been made it long ago. Now though, depending on Ole's gameplan with Pogba and considering his recent comments on him, I imagine Ole might be wanting to give Pogba the captaincy soon.

I can understand the reasoning behind someone who is willing to step up time and time again on the pitch, 'give me the ball', a creator, a talisman, someone who can lead from the front, or drag us through those tough last minutes striding upfield. And, if it locks Paul into us for the future then I have no problem with it. (There's also the small notion of 'say what Jose?...Paul not a captain?')

However I do feel like Ander is a much better overall fit for the sort of leader you want. His mentality, performances and playing style matches that of a leader too. You can feel the passion. And as has been noted, coming from Bilbao he understands that siege mentality, that collective strength.

And finally to me, to go through the ups and downs he has had here with game time, to stay quiet, always supportive, to coming straight back in without rustiness...the man deserves recognition as he hits 30 and beyond. The perfect time.

--------------------

If even remotely worthy of one, please help me out of Newb land with a like. Five utterances a day is killing me.
  27. Feb 22, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Yeah because it's a prerequisite to be some sort of hard man to be a good leader. fecking drivel.
  28. Feb 22, 2019

lsd Full Member

How is not allowing an opponent to carry you off the pitch like a child the actions of a "hard man" ?

Herrera is our version of Denis Wise not Keane .

A decent player with a penchant for being snide and winding up opponents.
  29. Feb 22, 2019

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

That incident happened years ago and is not a barometer of how good or bad a person is with their leadership skills, which you seem to imply as you made the point about Keane and Cantona.
  30. Feb 22, 2019

Rafaeldagold Full Member

He’s becoming my favourite player & played so so well against Chelsea. When he’s on it he’s a great player, recycling possession quickly & stopping the opposition.

He also seems to be really proud of playing for Manchester United & is a likeable guy- no problem with him being captain.
  31. Feb 22, 2019

Jib Full Member

Herrera is the fan favorite and know how to seduce the fans.

But if you read the players interviews. It's obvious that Pogba is more a leader than him in the squad.
  32. Mar 14, 2019

Darius_MUFC1991 New Member

Barbados, formally Ripon and South London
    Anyone else getting really worried regarding Ander Herrera and his contract situation? In less than 3 months he will be a free agent! :(
  33. Mar 14, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

Not remotely worried. He loves United, will have seen how much better things are under Ole and I'm sure he'll end up signing a new contract.
  34. Mar 14, 2019

Adebesi Full Member

Mildly concerned I would say. I reckon he will sign.
  35. Mar 14, 2019

Beanz New Member

Pogba might be our best outfield player but I don't want him as captain. He gets so easily frustrated. The southampton game when he missed the penalty and then almost immediately had a bust up with a soton player for no reason. The game vs arsenal when he was carded or a foul was called on him he disrespectfully threw his hands while walking away. I too would do that if i'm frustrated by a decision but i'd expect my captain to be a bit more reasonable. I don't think i'd trust paul to walk up to talk to the referee
  36. Mar 14, 2019

Darius_MUFC1991 New Member

Barbados, formally Ripon and South London
    So what could possible be the delay?? Your thoughts on that?
  37. Mar 14, 2019

T00lsh3d Full Member

He will have delayed because his situation was shite under Mourinho. He’s now playing regularly and is in (imho) the best form on his united career. I think he’ll renew, and if he leaves it’ll be just another failure of Mourinho’s time here
  38. Mar 14, 2019

Greck Full Member

Not even convinced he's Starting XI quality. The United captain should be dead cert to be on the pitch most weeks. Pogba inspires teammates, Herrera inspires fans. Never actually heard anyone talk about Herrera being a leader in the dressing room
  39. Mar 14, 2019

Jib Full Member

Not a captain
  40. Mar 15, 2019

lsd Full Member

That was just so embarrassing for us for him and the club