Is mainstream media relevant anymore?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kaos, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Nov 9, 2016

Kaos Full Member

This election as well as recent events that have preceded it have really got me questioning the relevance of mainstream media in these strange times.

It seems like its taken a backseat to social media and appears evidently out of touch with the sentiments of ordinary people. It was fair to say that the attempted character assassination of Trump was a resounding failure and may have even had a counter-intuitive effect.

Something in particular which also struck me was that The Young Turk's online stream yesterday had at one point more viewers than abc. Seems like people are shunning the usual networks in favour of independent media, twitter and other social mediums.

Curious how the producers re-align themselves now.
  2. Nov 9, 2016

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

People distrust the mainstream media because they associate it with the political status quo.

Also, we have to take into account clicks and viewership ratings for the mainstream media with regards to character assasination of D. Trump. The media have their own financial interests to think of. If paying attention to Trump is better for financial results, they'll happily keep doing it.
  3. Nov 9, 2016

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

I agree to an extent. In the UK though, The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Express and Sky News have been key and on the whole match the views of the 'ordinary people'.

Social media is definitely understated.
  4. Nov 9, 2016

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    More aptly it is corporate media but it's absolutely true that this election, if nothing else, demonstrated just how out of touch corporate media is.

I suspect social media is harder to gauge as it's an awfully labile platform
  5. Nov 9, 2016

Kaos Full Member

Thought I would shamelessly steal Neutral's post from the other thread:

6. Nov 9, 2016

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Left wing media is out of touch but the right wing media is absolutely on the button at the moment.. they seem to be calling the shots and no one is able to stem the tide.

The sun, daily mail.. everything they are asking for to happen.. is happening. They're successfully anti-intellectualising societies and spreading hateful rhetoric.. and the masses are lapping it up.

All the left wingers seem to be doing is.. haha who reads the Daily Mail lol, what kind of idiots are going to vote option A and yet they're being slapped in the face because these so called idiots in society are getting off their asses and voting whereas the so called smarter individuals aren't turning up to vote.

We need to start engaging with people of different views and try and take their concerns into account whilst ensuring we don't become a regressive society. Right now, sticking our heads in the sand and hoping people come to their senses isn't working.

It is going to get worse before it gets any better.
  7. Nov 9, 2016

Tyrion Full Member

If by MSM you mean things like Sky News and the BBC then I hope it is. They were pretty balanced on the Brexit issue (though I think they were probably balanced at the expense of the facts available). Regarding Trump I didn't see an attempted character assasination as much as an attempted character suicide.

Right wing sources like Fox News, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express pander more to right wing people's fears and left wing media sources like the Guardian, Daily Show and similar shows/sites in America target minorities and women so are more likely to focus on racism/sexism.

Unfortunately many people are choosing to ignore the information they don't like and only listen to the sources they prefer. The MSM is an important balance to that.
  8. Nov 9, 2016

Cooksen The Millennium Falcao

A lot of left wing media has spent a lot of time just bashing and insulting anyone who has a differing opinion without truly asking or investigating why they have those views.
  9. Nov 9, 2016

Akshay Moderator Staff

It's what most people who watch that media seem to want, though.
  10. Nov 9, 2016

FCBarca Mes que un Rag

Supports:
    Peace
    To be fair, this 'If you're not with us, you're with the enemy' is endemic to the US - might've started with the conservative republicans and neocons but now dems & liberals have adopted it as well. It's now the culture of ignorance
  11. Nov 9, 2016

legolegs duploarms

Supports:
    Ajax
    I'd say the relevance of the mainstream media depends on the country we're talking about. It certainly isn't the same everywhere. That being said it's to be expected that they lose influence compared to the past as everyone can share events, information etc with the whole world.
    Of course they are still relevant though. Just not as relevant as in the past.
  12. Nov 9, 2016

Neutral BTV

the media was screwed the day MSM became a derogatory term...kind of like how intellectuals/academics/experts are a thing to be mocked...because as we all know - facts don't really matter. It's all about feelings.
  13. Nov 9, 2016

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Bingo.

Of course, MSM is still incredibly influential. Murdoch in the UK, Fox in the US (although I'll admit to knowing very little about American media) but yeah, the lack of regulation of alternative media sources is definitely a big problem. People can make up any old shit and other people will swallow it up because that's what they want to hear. And they will never pay any consequences for peddling blatant lies, legal or otherwise. In stark contrast to the "MSM".
  14. Nov 9, 2016

Kaos Full Member

Murdoch's empire in the UK is a different beast altogether since it plays on already existing and intrinsic fears many people here already have.
  15. Nov 9, 2016

Witchking Full Member

They started to look the other way when the reality was something else as the article says. The reporters are supposed to be neutral when reporting news, you cannot be judgemental and present your opinion as news which is what has started happening with the MSM and they are paying for it.
  16. Nov 9, 2016

RedTiger Full Member

That's the magic of social media and online news organisations, you get to have your bias confirmed.
  17. Nov 9, 2016

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

Mainstream media has lost its credibility massively across the globe. The right wing and left wing both find it biased and are moving to independent media sources. They are basically surviving as info-tainment venues IMHO.
  18. Nov 9, 2016

Redondo_Pirri Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    This also does not help

[​IMG]
  19. Nov 9, 2016

Sweet Square Full Member

What Left Wing media ?
  20. Nov 9, 2016

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Nope
  21. Nov 9, 2016

Neutral BTV

It's not because it's biased but because we as a people have become a lot less tolerant of opposing views. We only want to listen to that which we agree with.

Have a look at what sites you subscribe to...what journos/pundits you follow on twitter - most of us keep ourselves inundated with views that match our own.

Fox News is an exception - it's like a hatefeck :lol:
  22. Nov 9, 2016

ghagua Full Member

Character assassination? He is what he is and is portrayed in the media as he is. He won simply because of 2 race related agendas he was running on. White Americans still out number any other race in the U.S and this election proved that.
  23. Nov 9, 2016

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

You have a point. People like to stay in their echo chambers, both on left or right spectrum.
  24. Nov 9, 2016

Ibi Dreams Full Member

I don't think it's that - if anything I think those on the left mostly all do turn up to vote. IIRC we've had record high turnouts in the last couple of important UK votes, and indeed in the USA election. If anything I think it's the right wing that is now "getting out the vote", plus there seem to be a lot of working class people shifting away from their historically left wing roots.
  25. Nov 9, 2016

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

A lot of over 50's voted for Trump, and naturally most won't be active on social media. The involvement of a tonne of celebrities like Jay-Z or Beyoncé in Hilary's campaign will have absolutely no effect on Cletus, 63 from Texas. De Niro's speech probably didn't reach a lot of then too.

Besides that, the constant Trump bashing actually played out well for him imo. He used it as evidence for Hilary's 'corruption' and the Trump supporters fell for it.
  26. Nov 9, 2016

villain Hates Beyoncé

Of course it's not.

I can't even remember the last time I willingly turned the tv to watch news.
  27. Nov 9, 2016

Raoul Admin Staff

The mainstream media are increasingly under pressure from social and alternative media imo. One of the things that struck me this cycle is how the Twitter accounts I follow were a faster conduit of information than the 24 hour news channels like CNN and MSNBC. If the MSM want to retain their market share they are going to have to incorporate more of a social media lean going forward.
  28. Nov 9, 2016

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

I don't think they should include more social media, they should be more neutral, more diverse, more didactic and show more empathy.
  29. Nov 9, 2016

rpitroda Full Member

But media outlets have never been any of those things though, and never will be. The balance, diversity, and cross spectrum opinion is provided by the fact that there are media outlets on both sides. The media environment as a whole is the diversity, not each one being diverse in itself.

And the idea that left wing media is out of touch and right wing media is spot on is simply not true, because of the fact that all of these outlets would report in exactly the same way regardless of public opinion. It's simply that at this moment in time, populations have a more right wing mentality and thus are aligning with the right wing media. Not the other way round. In times of struggle and recession popular opinion always shifts to the right which has been statistically proven on many occasions.

In the same way, when Obama won, left wing media wasn't correct over right wing media. Just that popular opinion aligned with them.
  30. Nov 9, 2016

Raoul Admin Staff

Neutrality is a myth. Every news organization has an editorial slant, so there will always be people, to varying degrees, who disagree with it. People aren't robots, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. Maybe this is fundamentally the problem with the MSM - they attempt to project an aura of neutrality when all the people (journalists) who work for them are generally very biased, which gradually filters into reporting.
  31. Nov 9, 2016

It might have "started happening" with the MSM but that is literally the essence of alternative media. So it would be a very strange reason to reject MSM.
  32. Nov 9, 2016

I'm not sure that's true. Silver surfers and all that...
  33. Nov 9, 2016

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

I said more neutral not neutral, you can't be neutral but you can try by honestly inviting debate. Nowadays I have the feeling that too many MSM don't even acknowledge the potential validity of different opinions they just make fun of it or reduce it to idiocy and at the end talk to themselves.

Edit: I only say that because of the lack of options, if there was a huge amount of sources total bias from the MSM wouldn't be problem but since there isn't, people just ignore them and use the infinity of social media news and sources.
  34. Nov 9, 2016

Nick 0208 Ldn News 24

Admittedly, this is a worse problem for print media and its online variants, but how much of the news we see today is straight-up reporting? The rise of the columnist and opinion pieces has skewed the content people receive from mainstream sources.
  35. Nov 9, 2016

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

Hahahaha that's class. Still, these modern celebrities won't influence old American codgers living in a caravan.
  36. Nov 9, 2016

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

This thread does not apply to the UK. Mainstream media has virtually shaped this country's view of Europe.
  37. Nov 9, 2016

hobbers Full Member

[​IMG]

Interesting and not at all surprising.
  38. Nov 10, 2016

Winrar Full Member

you only need this to prove that polls/election forecasts mean jack shit.

[​IMG]
  39. Nov 10, 2016

Ubik Full Member

So he had almost twice as many interactions but won fewer votes. What does this prove exactly?