Is Robert Pirès an underrated winger ?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Jib, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jan 11, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

I remember we played them in game, he and I'm nearly sure it was Gary Nev had a bit of confrontation. Think Pires got booked, but he was very agitated with Nev. The next ball that came in Keano cleaned Pires out. 2 mins later Wenger subbed him.
  2. Jan 11, 2019

arthurka Full Member

This..
  3. Jan 11, 2019

unitedbhoy Full Member

What is with this recent influx of overusing the word 'over-rated'?

He was typically rated very accurately - a great player who was key part of a great team.
  4. Jan 11, 2019

Chipper Full Member

The whole under-rated/over-rated thing can be confusing to me at times. Different people will have different perceptions of how good players were and also of exactly how highly rated they are. So it's not just a question of weighing up one subjective thing but two.

On top of that, if someone says a player was under-rated or over-rated everyone agrees then who is actually rating them incorrectly? Or the other way round, if everyone disagrees then in the eyes of the person who said it, the consensus opinion of how good this player was could be proof that this player is in fact under or over-rated, as nobody else is seeing it how they do.

It messes with my head.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Jan 11, 2019

flappyjay Full Member

Me too
  6. Jan 11, 2019

meninred New Member

Maybe not so..Arsenal fans voted for him as one of their greatest players ever.Top six.
  7. Jan 11, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Agreed. I’ve not read the thread (scanned a few comments) - but as with everyone else (who is sensible) I agree Pires was a great player, I can’t even see that he’s a player who would divide option - unless we are talking about his facial hair, which I thought looked like he’d had a Brazilian on his chin and looked crap. Others may disagree.
  8. Jan 11, 2019

Changeisgood New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Pires was a natural. Was just amazing to have 2 of them (him and Bergkamp and I could probably chuck Henry in that category as well) at the same time. Just spoiled we were. Always just enough to get the job done. Side footing a shot from the edge of box, counting always first on accuracy. So many key passes..and so many amazing goals.

Two gripes....one he was fairly light on his feet.... two....not really his fault and there were others but I have no idea why he was not given the chance to retire with us.
  9. Jan 11, 2019

Bobski Full Member

Pires or Sanchez?