Is The Europa League our best hope for Champions League?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jacky Quacky, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Nov 19, 2016

Jacky Quacky made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once

Title says it all really. City, Arsenal and Liverpool are nailed on for top 4, while Chelsea are as well.

Can't see us getting ahead of any of those 4, so what do you think? Should we just go for the Europa league and hope we win it for Champions League?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Nov 19, 2016

Raw Full Member

We'll have to see what kind of 3rd place CL teams we could get. That's if we even qualify for the next round!

On paper we should really be one of the best teams in the competition, but I don't trust us to beat quite a few of these teams. Our away form in Europe is embarrassingly poor.
  3. Nov 19, 2016

thegregster Harbinger of new information

No. Europa league games dont win you points for the PL.
  4. Nov 19, 2016

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

No, Europa League won't be our best hope of finishing in the top four. Is our best hope of Champions League football at this moment in time but can't see us winning it.
  5. Nov 19, 2016

thegregster Harbinger of new information

We arent good enough to compete in it anyway.

Another year out of it isn't a big deal.

PL teams arent serious contenders in it anymore.
  6. Nov 19, 2016

adamwest Full Member

Arsenal nailed on for top 4? They were fecking terrible today, terrible. We're out of the mix at the moment but if we start turning it on there is no reason why we can't be up there. How can everybody be so bloody blind to the fact that we haven't quite had the rub of the green in alot of league games and are only going to be 10 points off the top should the top teams win. It's November FFS not March!
  7. Nov 19, 2016

Yagami Full Member

It was always our best hope of getting CL next season in my opinion. Mkhi, Zlatan and Pogba were never going to be enough to turn us into serious contenders.
  8. Nov 19, 2016

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

:lol: My initial thought as well.
  9. Nov 19, 2016

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a fuck who it falls on.
    Nobody is nailed on for anything.
  10. Nov 19, 2016

U99ted Full Member

These players become useless in any given European away game, so no.
  11. Nov 19, 2016

Jacky Quacky made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once

Whoops, made an error in the title. Can anyone tell me how to change it lol
  12. Nov 19, 2016

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

:lol:
  13. Nov 19, 2016

Scholesy Banned

Yes
  14. Nov 19, 2016

redNATION Full Member

The teams in EL are better than us, i dont know why people think we can win it, when our performances against rubbish teams in the group have been terrible
  15. Nov 19, 2016

Hugh Jass Full Member

I think its our best bet now.
  16. Nov 19, 2016

Janson Full Member

Starting this thread after this performance, really? Arsenal nailed on for top four after we completeley dominated them.
  17. Nov 19, 2016

DeOddi Full Member

It probably is our best chance, but considering our performances so far in the Europa League it is a very small chance. Doesn´t even look likely that we´ll make it out of the group stage.
  18. Nov 19, 2016

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

It's our best hope for the CL but we're barely good enough for that, so I hope we improve big time for next season if we somehow scab it or it's gonna be painful anyway
  19. Nov 19, 2016

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

It's a welcome relief from the pressure of the league.

Hopefully we can take out some of the last few weeks frustration on them.
  20. Nov 19, 2016

U99ted Full Member

And they still got a point at Old Trafford. They won't play terribly often enough to drop out of the top 4.
  21. Nov 19, 2016

adamwest Full Member

We'll agree to disagree. I think they'll be a lot of twists and turns this season. One of which us going on a bit of a run of positive results.
  22. Nov 19, 2016

Leftback99 Full Member

Best hope of getting in the CL next year yes.
  23. Nov 19, 2016

U99ted Full Member

I've been burnt out by the false dawns, but hopefully you're right. We've got to be overdue a run and some fortune by now.
  24. Nov 19, 2016

sunama Baghdad Bob

Correct.
    I will go a step further. The sooner we go out of the EL, the higher our final EPL points total will be.
  25. Nov 19, 2016

RonaldoVII Full Member

Currently we're not good enough to compete in the Europa League or qualify for the CL via the league either.
  26. Nov 19, 2016

sunama Baghdad Bob

You think that winning the EL is easier than winning the EPL?
    EL is ridiculously difficult and I think winning the league (which is almost impossible for us), is easier than winning the EL.

I will put it another way, LCFC won the EPL last season. If they tried winning the EL 10 times, I doubt they'd win that.
    The problem with the EL is that there are a lot of teams in that comp, which are good enough to play in the CL. Also, when you add the knockout element, luck can play a big part, where a stronger team can lose.

In any case, we have won 2 out our last 9 games (I think). Those sorts of results will see you get knocked out of the EL, while in the EPL, you still have the rest of the season to recover.
  27. Nov 19, 2016

AXVnee7 Full Member

Personally I think we should at this moment be considering shifting some of our eggs into the EL basket. It's not that top 4 is out of reach, it's that I just don't trust us to capitalise on when the teams above us drop points. Today was a great chance to gain ground on Arsenal, whilst stifling them and we bottled it.

I think our chances are much better in 2 legged matches, where one shite display doesn't necessarily have to be the end of the world.
  28. Nov 19, 2016

JustinC00 Full Member

6 points from 4th with 26 games to play, only 31% of the season has been played, but ya let's just give up on it now.. :mad:
  29. Nov 19, 2016

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The league is, still a lot of football to be played but we need to start putting away the chances and somehow keep more clean sheets. Our players don't arsed in the Europa League tbh
  30. Nov 19, 2016

Irrational. Full Member

This.

/Thread
  31. Nov 19, 2016

Xoxo Gossip boy New Member

No. We can still finish 3rd. Have some faith.
  32. Nov 19, 2016

Leftback99 Full Member

Where did i mention winning the league?
    I think top 4 is gone already, we're losing ground by the week. 6 points off it now but highly likely to be even more after we've played West Ham, Everton and Spurs.
    None of the top ranked CL teams look like dropping into the EL, so after another transfer window and hopefully Jose finding his best team in the second half of the year, yes i think winning the EL is more realistic than top 4, but still unlikely.
  33. Nov 19, 2016

NYAS Full Member

We can still win the league mathematically. Do you think we will?

I would argue our chances of getting top 4 currently look worse than at any time under Van Gaal and that's an achievement. Of course winning the Europa League is our best chance of CL next season. This season's PL isn't like last year, the top teams (of course, apart from us) look very consistent and we need to face the reality.
  34. Nov 19, 2016

Philadelphian Banned

Woodward is building quite the commercial legacy based purely on false dawns. This team is a long way off of competing in Europe, be it CL or EL
  35. Nov 19, 2016

Billy Jim Full Member

I would be incredibly surprised if we go on any positive run in the Premier League that extends past three games. We are incapable of any consistency.

Which to me means yes, Europa League is our best chance of Champions League football next season.
  36. Nov 19, 2016

Xoxo Gossip boy New Member

Face reality? In the middle of november? Who needs 38 games when we can just face reality after 11 games.

I know things aren't looking great but let's have a little bit of faith.
  37. Nov 19, 2016

The White Pele Full Member

If we had won just two of the last 3 home matches, in which we have been comfortably the better team, we would be right in the thick of it with the other big sides.

We need to put some wins together to get back in to the mix now but it's far too early to be writing anything off.
  38. Nov 19, 2016

siw2007 Full Member

Maybe, but we aren't out of the race for the top positions yet. If we can get a run of wins together then we will be in the mix.

Winning the Europa League will be difficult. We've lost both our away games in the competition after really poor displays, which suggests that we are struggling to balance this and the league. At this moment in time, it wouldn't be a massive shock if we crashed out next month. Thus it isn't necessarily the easiest route right now.

Having said that, without sounding too arrogant, we do have man for man one of, if not the best squad in the competition. If by the time the knockout stages come around our team is playing at the level we feel we should reach based on the quality of the playing staff, then we should have a big chance. Hopefully, no really strong teas drop out of the UCL.

In summary, at this moment in time, the EL doesn't offer a better chance because the season still has a long way to go. The EL will offer a better chance if we manage to progress a bit in the competition next year and we are still stuck in the premier league.
  39. Nov 19, 2016

NYAS Full Member

Even if it was a 60-game league season I would say the same thing. The blindly obvious problem we have is inconsistency and that ultimately stems from the mental strength of players rather than some temporary form issue or a sudden spate of injuries. It's a more chronic issue than we would like.

Genuinely, what are you expecting to happen? Please don't misunderstand me, I know everything is possible and it's early and I salute you for having a more hopeful outlook on things. But how can you see anything changing enough for us to get top 3? Do you think this team is capable of going on a 5-game winning run, for example? When have they shown anything close to that?
  40. Nov 19, 2016

BringNaniBack Leaves a bullshit trail behind him

We have a better chance of making top 4 in the league IMO. Man City and Liverpool will be battling for the title. Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are all going to drop lots of points and if we can actually put a run together and turn some of these draws into wins we can make top 4.

Arsenal are average other than Sanchez and Ozil. Tottenham are massively overrated and will struggle to get top 4. Chelsea who are playing well at the moment will eventually get found out IMO. So it's all to play for in the league. We cant keep dropping points like we did today though.