Is The Europa League our best hope for Champions League?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Jacky Quacky, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Dec 11, 2016

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    You might be underrating Roma a bit. Their backline of Florenzi-Rudiger-Manolas-Emerson is, in my opinion, better than United's backline.

In midfield they have Nainggolan, Paredes, and Strootman. All these guys are really good. In fact, any of them would solve United's three man midfield problem.

United have the better attack on paper but Roma have been scoring goals for fun this season.

I wouldn't be confident to back either team if they went up against one another, IMO.
  2. Dec 11, 2016

Mike09 Full Member

I'm sorry but we have the strongest squad in the Europa League, don't you agree with this one? Being poor in the league after spent so much money on players and signed some quality players I think there is no excuse to say that we must not win the Europa League, after all it's our highest chance to get champion league spot and we have the players to win it. If we don't win it and no top 4, surely it's a criminal which I can see Jose will be sacked.
  3. Dec 11, 2016

Crossie Full Member

Supports:
    vibrant attacking football
    No I don't because as I have indicated, it doesn't matter how strong your squad is. And this is demonstrated match day after match day, in every league, in every competition, across the world. All this talk about who would walk into whose team, who will win the league, the cup, the CL, the EL, the Euros, the WC is rubbish, and it's getting upset every single day.

It does matter though what performances the team puts in consistently, and even then luck plays a much bigger role in football than in most other sports because goals are rare events. And performance-wise (not just result-wise), I do not think that United must win the EL.

I agree, however, that there's no excuse for not aiming at going all in for it, and riding far. You have the squad for competing seriously on all fronts; that's the difference to many teams. It's no failure if United make a deep run (e.g. semi finals) don't win the EL. IMHO you're criminally underestimating not just other teams but also luck.
  4. Dec 11, 2016

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

I have no faith in us winning this.

Think a few of our players have been caling in their performances in this tournament up until now.

Hopefully will change in the knockouts and with some semi-glamorous opposition but I don't think the players have that 100% desire and focus you'd need to win a major knockout trophy.

Still think our most viable route is top 4. Which is obviously going to be very difficult too but not as difficult as people think.
  5. Dec 11, 2016

SirAF Ageist

I think that the EL is our best shot, but I do agree that top 4 might not be as hard as the majority think. If we can pull together a decent winning streak during this period that will see us right up there.
  6. Dec 11, 2016

Mitchell Nicholas Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    If you beat Spurs, you're 6 points off top four. That is far from irretrievable with 20+ games left in this season providing you're good enough pull that gap back. Spurs bottled top four finishes in the past such as 2012-13 and they threw away a golden chance at the title last season and City are shaky at the moment so top four is still on as a realistic league finish for United but they really need to win today. 12 points off Spurs at the end of today and the Europa League will look like your best hope of top four.
  7. Dec 11, 2016

Janson Full Member

It would be naive to rely on this to get CL. In cups like this anything can happen.
  8. Dec 11, 2016

Janson Full Member

I would include Liverpool there, they're not that great at the back. I have a feeling they will drop of at some point. Don't believe Arsenal will keep it up either.
  9. Dec 11, 2016

MataFanatic Full Member

Would have said yes up until this weekend but just look at how the those so-called top teams drop points. City battered and Liverpool held by a truly awful West Ham side. I think we still have a chance at top 4 and maybe even could make a tilt at the title if we go on a good run of 7-8 games. Probably think we'll finish 3rd at this rate and I think we'll go far in the Europa.
  10. Dec 11, 2016

The red panther princess transfer emo

Top 4 is possible, Title is out of reach

In any case we need to get a run going to get some points
  11. Dec 15, 2016

4bars Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Wisen up? admit? don't patronize me please. Like I was trying not to admit something that it goes completely with what you are saying. So, all that text to say yes, EL is not harder it is just my decision because I am not interested. Thank you, yes, for admiting it

So, after a continuous patronizing from his part, I am the only one to be said to calm down and the only one to be taken the point....alright.

No worries, I stop
  12. Dec 15, 2016

ti vu Full Member

Thank you for admitting you have nothing football related thing to write about now but personal emotional rant. We can agree there is no point in discussing
  13. Dec 15, 2016

4bars Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    :boring:
  14. Mar 20, 2017

LawCharltonBest Obsessive dog poo sniffer & anal about tweets

Mourinho made a good point I didn't even think about

If we win the Europa league, not only do we qualify for next seasons CL, but we will play in the European Super Cup match at the beginning of next season. Which would be brilliant!

I'd definitely prefer to win the Europa and finish 6th than get top 4 and not win the Europa
  15. Mar 20, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Whilst I agree, finishing top 4 would mark a real change in achievement compared to recent seasons. I feel there has been a massive change in mentality and belief since Mou took over and to get that top 4 in the face of the high level competition this season, would be immensely satisfying and just reward for a the season's efforts. FWIW, I reckon we'll get top 4 and that will give us the confidence for a title assault nxt season.
  16. Mar 20, 2017

SirAF Ageist

Agreed. I know many don't care about the Super Cup but I love that match and I was fuming when we lost to Zenit in 08 :mad: Would love another crack at it!
  17. Mar 20, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

Think we should be aiming for 2nd and winning the Europa league to be honest, not put of our grasp.
  18. Mar 20, 2017

Android1974 Full Member

Even 2nd or 3rd place are possible, although unlikely. United should aim for guaranteeing 4th and try to win the Europa League.

Probably someone already stated this, but if we stay 4th and win the Europa League, what happens to the 5th team? It would be extra fun if our win allowed City or Liverpool, for instance, into the Champions.
  19. Mar 20, 2017

U99ted Full Member

Nothing. They go into the Europa.
  20. Mar 21, 2017

Android1974 Full Member

Swell, then, lets just keep them out.
  21. Mar 21, 2017

Enigma_87 You know who

aye all the better then, hope we get 4th and win EL.

Super cup means little to me, a bit of a glorified friendly but still prestigious for some.
  22. Mar 21, 2017

Giggs86 Full Member

Goes without saying, but the Europa gives us an actual trophy, while finishing 4th gives us feck all. Of course winning the EL is better than finishing 4th.
  23. Mar 21, 2017

peridigm Full Member

May have already been stated but we also wouldn't need to play qualifiers. 4th is no guarantee to the round of 16.
  24. Mar 21, 2017

Earthquake Pokemon expert

[​IMG]
  25. Mar 21, 2017

Loon Full Member

I went into UEFA ballot for a ticket for the final. If I win a ticket, we're fecked...
  26. Apr 3, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

We're making a massively underwhelming case for a top four spot right now and itd be a stretch to blame it on the fact we're still in the EL. Presumably we're all in agreement now, we need to focus on Europe.
  27. Apr 3, 2017

Crossie Full Member

Supports:
    Unless it's mathematically impossible to get top 4, it wouldn't be wise to concentrate on the EL because no club, including Manchester United, is guaranteed to win it just because the focus shifts. Apart from that, any club with the financial power and standing as ManUtd should be able to take all competitions seriously and not sacrificing one for another.
  28. Apr 3, 2017

Jev Full Member

With the fixtures we are approaching, there's no doubt Europa League is our best bet. Doesn't mean we should throw in the towel in the league, though. There's still a real chance despite our many, many screw-ups.
  29. Apr 3, 2017

abhayselvan Full Member

I've given up hope on top 4. We are just too inconsistent. But we have shown in the last 2 years that we perform well against weaker teams in the cup competitions. Europa being two legs tilts the balance even more in our favor. I'm pretty confident that we'll reach the finals. But after that, it's anyone's game. We have won our last 2 Cup finals and Jose also has a terrific record in the finals so hopefully we'll win this damn cup.
  30. Apr 3, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

It would be wise to focus on everything, I wouldnt advocate sacrificing the league by any means, it is more a question of not sacrificing the EL, which is what a lot of people seemed to think we should be doing a few months ago. Thankfully we didnt do that because if we had our season would be a hair's breadth away from being essentially over.
  31. Apr 3, 2017

finndt New Member

Me too. I wonder how many applications they received. Let's see if I'm "lucky".

I'll get the tickets and end up seeing Genk vs. Anderlecht
  32. Apr 3, 2017

rooney2009 Full Member

Europa League seems our only hope now, cant see us finishing in the top 4
  33. Apr 3, 2017

KN5 Full Member

Been doing good in cup comps, we'll continue to drop points vs teams like bournemouth, we're favorites for the EL and we are by far the strongest team in the tournament. I don't think you purposely try and rest players in the premier league but I am personally not seeing us get top 4 anymore, still possible and I hope we do it but I think 5th is where we will finish.
  34. Apr 3, 2017

SSSSnake Full Member

If we win the Europa does our seedings in the Champions league change?
  35. Apr 3, 2017

Cnaiür urs Skiötha Full Member

Since not beating West Brom at home I believe so.
  36. Apr 3, 2017

Adebesi Full Member

Yeah, not going to throw my toys out of the pram and blame anyone for what happened at the weekend - the manager, the players or whatever. But it was really disappointing, the opportunity to put some distance between us and Arsenal, or close the gap with City. Instead we stood still. These things happen but it felt like top 4 slipped a bit further from reach. Not out of reach, there is plenty of time for things to change again. But it tipped the balance of probability considerably towards the EL being our ticket into Europe, which Mourinho seemed to clearly acknowledge as well.

I agree with everyone who has pointed out anything can happen in cup competitions but I am pretty confident about the EL.
  37. Apr 3, 2017

Crossie Full Member

Supports:
    I'm 99.9% sure the EL winner gets into the group according to its UEFA coefficient. See e.g. Sevilla this year.

The winner of the EL obviously gets 2 points for winning the final as for any other win in the competition.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  38. Apr 3, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Our home record has been dreadful.
    Simply not being able to break teams down - teams who come here for the point and are quite happy with it.
    Away - we're sitting 3rd - 6pts behind the leaders and 2 games in hand.

Mourinho's tactics are working when the other team is expected to make a move. And that's the case in the knockout phase of a EL.
    I am confident we can win it.
    The league's been a disappointment. We need a few additions before we can compete on the top level. Not being able to dismantle teams of the bottom part after creating so many chances means something's wrong. And I hope is addressed next transfer window.
    But for now EL should be priority. Not saying to give up on the league - but make sure you don't screw EL.
  39. Apr 3, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I don't think it's our best hope for Champions League football next season, I think it's only only hope. In terms of our league position we won't go any higher due to how difficult our fixture list from here is.

Not beating Bournemouth and West Brom in our last two home games, or not being able to beat any of Hull, Burnley, Stoke and West Ham in games we absolutely dominated will have to cost us in the end. Just 4 extra points from these 6 games would have positioned us nicely right now but it didn't happen, we got 6 draws in games that we should have comfortably won. I think we will miss out by 3-4 points in the end and rue the missed opportunities.

However I think we have a very good chance to win Europa League. We're the best team left in the competition, it's about concentration from here.
  40. Apr 3, 2017

SammyUnited_83 Full Member

Agreed.

Judging by Jose's recent comments, he is almost laying the groundwork to make sure key players are rested from now until the end of season.

Not that I blame him, with only 2 fit / decent / experienced centre halves, there is no way I would be risking Rojo and Bailey every week.