Is this season better than last season?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Treble, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mar 15, 2018

Treble Full Member

Obviously, it is much better in the league but it has been very disappointing in the cups: unlikely losses vs Bristol and Sevilla.

Maybe a FA Cup win will make it definetely better. But what if the team fails to do it? Would a trophyless season with a top 4 finish be better than last season?

Generally, the team is not harder to beat than last season. 8 defeats already. And defence isn't better too.

The difference is that many draws in the league have been turned into wins.
  2. Mar 15, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Yes, without doubt.
    We should finish with 80+ points.
    That's way more than we've managed in last 5 years.
    Is that enough justification for the manager?
    Imo, no.
  3. Mar 15, 2018

The Man Himself asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Yes.
  4. Mar 15, 2018

CM21 New Member

Finish 2nd with wins over Liverpool,Chelsea,Spurs and Arsenal.(and maybe City).

That's good. There's only so much we expect when "big" players like Sanchez and Pogba are putting up these type of performances.
  5. Mar 15, 2018

Darkhorsez Full Member

Trying my best to put aside the freak result a couple of days ago. Ok, I would say yes. We definitely need to sort out our midfield and attacking set up if we want to be in a better place next season. We seem to lack cohesion and leadership in the team.
  6. Mar 15, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, 2nd is better than 6th and while winning the EL is nice, it's not a very significant trophy.

City's insane league performance puts a bit of a shadow on it and the less said about this week the better, but in a knock out competition upsets happen. Greece won the 2004 euro's for fecks sake.
  7. Mar 15, 2018

Fahmi Ismail New Member

Yes. We're better than last season, especially in the league where we're able to get 3 points instead of 1 points against bottom 10 teams.

The dissappontment only on United performances and progress in Cup games.
    It really hit hard because we should go far in EFL & Champions League after the 'lucky' draw ; which is Bristol City and Sevilla.
  8. Mar 15, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yes, of course it is.
  9. Mar 15, 2018

SER19 Full Member

As much as im still reeling from the horror of the last 16 performances- yes its been better. We have short memories of how bad the last few seasons were and maybe they make us more frustrated when we play badly now. Was it 15 draws last year? That was unacceptable. If we hit over 80 and come second despite the failures in other regards , it places us as more likely to compete next year than winning Europa did last year with an awful points total in league.

Finishing season with momentum is key so the attitude of needing another summer rebuild is quashed and players have confidence
  10. Mar 15, 2018

Treble Full Member

Even without a FA Cup? It would be very much like City's last season then.
  11. Mar 15, 2018

“Are wins better than draws” is the new “can a loss be a win”.
  12. Mar 15, 2018

Peanut Butter New Member

Yes, without a doubt. We have been knocked out of cup competitions before and will continue to do so in future.
  13. Mar 15, 2018

Treble Full Member

Not really. Is 2nd while winning nothing better than 6th with 2 cups and a CL spot?
  14. Mar 15, 2018

Reiver Full Member

I think it is. But I think most of us thought it would be better than it has been so far in that we wouldn't be so far behind City.
  15. Mar 15, 2018

BaneIsPain New Member

yes.only a few disappointment game like vs huddersfield away,newcastle away and sevilla home. right on track;still need couple of tweaks for next season.patience is really needed

definitely more optimism compared to Van Gaal second season
  16. Mar 15, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

It is for sure, but it’s not what we were expecting two seasons into a Jose reign is it? That’s what it comes down to.
  17. Mar 15, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I remember arguing that Spurs had a better season than United last season, but lots and lots of posters claimed that trophies > no trophies, full stop and some said that the finalist in the CL would have had a worse European campaign than the winner of the EL.

For me, you've had a better season, you are winning many of the games you would have drawn last season. However, you were better at the start of the season than you are now, which may be why this question is being raised. When watching United I fully expect you to somehow find a result, and that wasn't the case since Fergie.
  18. Mar 15, 2018

Yes.
  19. Mar 15, 2018

Treble Full Member

I agree.
  20. Mar 15, 2018

Seeing as we’ve come from 2-0 down to win 3-2 and beaten both Chelsea and Liverpool in our last 3 league games I think you’re putting a lot of emphasis on one shitty CL performance to come out with such a statement.

We’ve definitely been struggling with the integration of Sanchez and Pogba’s poor form but have actually been pretty good at digging out results recently. Until the Sevilla game anyway.
  21. Mar 15, 2018

Good. Cup competitions are crap shoots. I’ve always maintained that. The league table is the true measure of a team. You can argue that we dropped some points in our last few league games last season because we prioritised the Europa but if we had a better league campaign that never would have happened.
  22. Mar 15, 2018

Himannv New Member

In my view we're miles better in the league and far more consistent than we were last season where we drew games far too often. Second is just so much better than sixth and I think we'd be first if Man City performed the same way they did last season.

Last season would have been an abject failure if we had lost that one game against Ajax.

I think it's important that we somehow try and win the FA Cup though as it's our only remaining opportunity for a trophy. That would definitely be a positive.
  23. Mar 15, 2018

K.W.74 New Member

First post lads. I think Pogba and Sanchez need dropped, let McTominay(who should have started vs Seville) play the next few fixtures along with Mata. Let' see if Sanchez makes a difference coming on from the bench.
  24. Mar 15, 2018

Treble Full Member

I think the improvement is down to Lukaku, Lingard and Martial.

At first glance, Lukaku isn't doing better than Zlatan. But he is matching Zlatan's output without taking set pieces and without wasting tons of chances. Zlatan scored many but missed many too - att he expense of our other attackers. Lukaku is not simply doing well but helps the other forwards too. This is why they have been better than last season. Lingard has been sensational at times and Martial's productivity is quite good.
  25. Mar 15, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Again I said in the pre season predictions we would finish second but wouldn't win a trophy and it looks more than possible I'll be spot on. I also asked myself this very question as well would 2nd but no trophies beat 6th place and 2 trophies and tbh I think they probably level one another out

The only thing I didn't predict correctly so far is going out at the last 16 in the UCL because baring a horrible draw I thought we'd get to the quarter finals at least
  26. Mar 15, 2018

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I also think Matic has been a very positive influence. Early in the season his form was sensational. It’s waxed and waned recently but having a consistent and effective midfield presence has been a big boost. Not sure he takes much credit for turning draws into wins (apart from the Crystal Palace game anyway!) but he’s clearly improved us as a team.
  27. Mar 15, 2018

RoyH1 Full Member

2nd in the league would be an improvement, so yes if we finish the season there.
  28. Mar 15, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I didn't mean it as an insult, you started the season fantastically and played a lot more convincingly at the start of the season. I watched all the games you mentioned, the Palace game, despite being a good comeback was an awful performance imo. The Chelsea and Liverpool games were great results, but Chelsea got their own problems and actually started much brighter than United and in the Liverpool game it was a game that tactically really suited United and you played really well. I'm not saying you're bad now, just that you haven't improved over the course of the season, but regressed, and the ppg will also tell the same story. Over the course of the season you've been the second best team, but on the form of the last 15 games or so you're not.

Despite this, there are clear improvements, and you will finish top 4 comfortably, still in the FA cup and might win it. Decent season and an obvious improvement from last season.
  29. Mar 15, 2018

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Now I've calmed down after Tuesday night, I do still think we're on more or less the right path. We're improving, even if sometimes it really doesn't feel that way.
  30. Mar 15, 2018

Lentwood Full Member

Yes but it’s been far less enjoyable, which is weird!

Last year if felt like the green shoots of recovery where evident and we where laying the foundations for something. You could point to so many games where we battered the opposition and drew 0-0 or 1-1

This year, it feels like we’ve decided to play percentage-based football and accept 2nd place. I honestly see no difference between this and the LvG years, apart from we have better/more effective players
  31. Mar 15, 2018

GhastlyHun Full Member

Supports:
    Bayern München
    With the FA cup it would be a much better season than last one, without it still an improvement due to overall better results and consistency.
  32. Mar 15, 2018

Bestietom Full Member

Points wise it is better but our football has not got any better. Mourinho keeps wanting more money to spend when we lose an important game. His man management is not good enough. The way forward is by COACHING and good man management not running down your players in public, and feeding the media.

1. You have to coach football players into winners, and how to play the game properly.
    2. Mourinho is a Wallet manager, he wants to buy success which is not the answer.
    3. City and possibly Chelsea will out bid us in the transfer market.
    4. You will never win anything by playing football in your own half.
    5. It's time for change and whether it means Mourinho changing his tactics, or get in a manager and coaches that will.
  33. Mar 15, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

IIRC you argued playing in group stages or getting knocked out in round of 16 is better than winning Europa league.
  34. Mar 15, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Here's some perspective

For any other manager to top mourinho this year they'd practically have to win the league, or finishing 2nd and getting into CL final, or any other quite unrealistic scenario. So if you say this year is a failure then the next manager should win the league or he too will be deemed a failure.
  35. Mar 15, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

Lazy swipe at mourinho, the man has won us 2 cups last year, and countless other cups he won playing the exact same football.
  36. Mar 15, 2018

I don’t think it’s an insult. It’s a reasonable observation. Our early season results were great but the fixtures were kind to us. If I'm honest, we haven't hit any sort of heights all season. The likes of Liverpool and Spurs are below us in the league but have comfortably accumulated a better collection of individual game performances than we have.

I think I might have misunderstood your point when I disagreed with you. I thought you meant that we were good at digging results out earlier on in the season but aren't any more. Re-reading your post I don't think that's what you meant. I agree that what we have done well this season (and didn't do last) has been digging out results when we need them - even if we don't play particularly well - with those three recent fixtures as good examples of this. Plus we've been fairly ruthless at beating weaker teams at home when we would have drawn some of those games last season.

What we have done all too rarely is put in absolutely convincing, dominant performances for 90 minutes against anything other than cannon fodder and/or when we're away from home. That has to start to happen more frequently for me to believe in any kind of continued improvement under Mourinho.
  37. Mar 15, 2018

hellohello Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Without turning it into that discussion again I was arguing that getting knocked out in the round of 16 was better than winning the EL (3rd place gives EL entry, 1st and 2nd place are better than EL standard). So imo you've had a better European campaign this year compared with last year. You won your CL group, and despite being knocked out by Sevilla you were among the best 16 teams in Europe this season.
  38. Mar 15, 2018

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Yes. Doesn't mean it's good enough though.
  39. Mar 15, 2018

overrated 92's New Member

so what you're saying is, the League and the CL are the really only worthwhile pieces of silverware ?
  40. Mar 15, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Yes. As humilating as Tuesday night was we can't say there's been no improvement from last year. I'm as angry as anyone about the way we limped out but, if we bounce back strongly over the rest of the season, I'll give Jose the benefit of the doubt.