Is this the squeakiest bum time ever?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Rooney24, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012

Inigo Montoya Full Member

That was far more tense. I spoke with kit man Albert shortly after and he said that, had we not beaten Spurs for the title, confidence going into the next two(finals) games would have been low, we could hav ended up with nothing having promised so much

That Arsenal team was far better than City's present team
  2. Apr 23, 2012

manusteve Full Member

I think a draw would be good enough, but...
    I don't think we choke - I just think our defensive strategy is flawed because we defend on the 18-yard line.
    Reasonable teams will eventually find a way through.
    The defence has been bashed for yesterday's result but the way we just let opposition play through our midfield place so much pressure on our defenders.
    From what I've seen, the top teams in Europe all press (Real, Barca, Bayern) higher up - I fear if we sit and invite City on to us, we will lose.
  3. Apr 23, 2012

adam118 Full Member

How I wish I could swap that Scholes winner from 2010 with next weeks fixture
  4. Apr 23, 2012

Think it will be a cagey game.I've never seen Mancini as a manager who attacks from the outset.Even with the wins in the last 2 games they were content to sit back a little and invite the opposition to attack before trying to hit on the break.There's nothing wrong with sitting back a little, it worked in the FA Cup game and Liverpool exposed them in the CC.It will depend on if he goes with Balotelli or Tevez as well.
  5. Apr 23, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

The 2008 penalty shoot out against Chelsea was the squeakiest bum time of all. Terry's bum must have squeaked a little as it slid on the grass.

The thing is, City are going to win the title at some stage. It's an inevitability. Sooner or later they will be able to attract Messi, or whoever the new Messi turns out to be.

That's what makes it a little less intense for me than when it was us and Liverpool going for the title. We were either going to draw level on 18 with them or they were going to pull away. There was more to that battle than winning the league. It's a long time before we have to worry about City being anything more than a rich man's play thing.
  6. Apr 23, 2012

manusteve Full Member

Players like Nasri, Tevez, Silva, Aguero are constantly moving and interchanging. One can say congesting the 18-yard area would stifle these players but I'm not sure. I imagine it'd be like Chelsea's attempts to stop Barca, but then they were at home...
  7. Apr 23, 2012

That would be the risk as they are getting back into the form they showed early.The problem is while we could sit back and congest the 18 yard line; Carrick apart we don't have effective enough players for that role.It would have to be a whole team policy,very disciplined and determined to be a little boring/negative to stifle them....Liverpool like
  8. Apr 23, 2012

Maajid Formerly Mad

It's all a conspiracy anyway. We've deliberately thrown away the lead on the instruction of the Premier League/Sky bigwigs so the Monday night game can rival El Clasico's viewing numbers. Why else do you think the 'fixture computer' threw up this fixture at this time of the season?

:smirk:
  9. Apr 23, 2012

Stretch Full Member

I'm nervous for sure. We've somehow managed to throw away a valuable points lead we built up. Yesterday could be very costly. However, all's not lost or over and done with. Of course if we lose Monday, City would probably be favourites but with them going to SJP facing a Newcastle team in form and chasing a UCL spot we could still snatch it, even if we lose! Best of all, we could pull a Real and seal the deal essentially on Monday by beating them on their own patch!
  10. Apr 23, 2012

Sir A1ex Full Member

All I know is, I've been at work for three hours now, and can't concentrate on anything... the next seven days are going to be hell, wish I could just go into suspended animation.
  11. Apr 23, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

If the last couple of weeks have taught me anything it is that this is not true at all. If we beat them we take a big step forward. But all it would take is one feckup in two games following that and they would be on top again.

Its over when its mathematically over.
  12. Apr 23, 2012

niMic Curvy gay

We could lose the title or win the title on my birthday.

feck that.
  13. Apr 23, 2012

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

in that case I hope you have a great birthday.

nervous as fcuk about this one.
  14. Apr 23, 2012

Name Changed weso26

It all comes down to Monday. If we get a draw or win, it's all over. If they win, I think it's as good as over. If they need to beat Newcastle, I think they will. If we need 4 points out of the last two games, we'll get it. It really does come down to Monday.
  15. Apr 23, 2012

Stretch Full Member

I see your point but not entirely true with this game considering there would only be 2 games to go and we'd be 6 pts clear should we win. We'd knock the wind out of City if we beat them and they'd have to go to a menace of a NUFC team at SJP. Keeping in mind Newcastle are fighting well and truly now for a UCL spot. So provided we beat City, then all we have to do is get a point to seal it. So it's a bit different since it's only 2 games to go compared to 8 games to go. I'd love to win at Etihad but I'm nervous as feck about it.
  16. Apr 23, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Yes good point. If we win its over, but any other result and it really isnt.

I think a draw is the likely result, and I will be nervous going into the Swansea game.
  17. Apr 23, 2012

Sir A1ex Full Member

It's not at all true. If we beat them and go 6 points clear, then we very much have the luxury of one feckup in two games. Two feckups, in fact - we would only need a draw from one of them!
  18. Apr 23, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

You're absolutely right. If we somehow beat City next Monday we will have won the league IMO. We would just need 1 point from our last 2 games and its done.
  19. Apr 23, 2012

Name Changed weso26

Even a draw would do. Swansea's season is over and we will beat them easily. We won't lose to Sunderland anyway, we might draw.
  20. Apr 23, 2012

pete_8 Full Member

I agree, but the pressure is still on them as they have to win it.How will they react? As for us we have been there and done it. Judging on yesterdays performance we will have no choice other than to flood the midfield (as we should have done at 3-1 and 4-2 yesterday) hate playing one up front aswell.
  21. Apr 23, 2012

pete_8 Full Member

I don't get the somehow in all of this? Course we can beat them all 3 results are possible.If we turn up at our best we won't lose IMO
  22. Apr 23, 2012

Zen86 Full Member

You forget that City are an unstoppable winning machine again now.

Thus says the caf, anyway.
  23. Apr 23, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

The "somehow" is me just being pessimistic. Expecting the worst, praying for the best etc.
  24. Apr 23, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

Even if they win I bet Mancini still tries to make out it is ours to lose and they are still the underdogs.
  25. Apr 23, 2012

Zen Full Member

Is it crazy that I love this as much as I hate.....theres just a fantastic story in this season, neither team are perfect proven by both "losing the title" pretty much and it's back to where everyone really wanted it to be won.

Can't deny it, it'd be such a sweet year if we win it there there, possibly the fave in my lifetime....and that has to be the exact same for Shitty fans. It's kind of like the Liverpool-Man Utd CL Final that really should of happen in either 07 or 08.....it's either the absolute sweetest moment, or the worst. All on the line.
  26. Apr 23, 2012

Name Changed weso26

It'll either be the best league we've ever won, or the worst one we've ever lost. I'm feeling sick thinking about it. I wish this game was tonight.
  27. Apr 23, 2012

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

Do you like nailing your bollocks to planksof wood?

This is NOT enjoyable, you sick, sick man
  28. Apr 23, 2012

Adebesi Full Member

It certainly has an element of excitement, it is much easier to enjoy in retrospect, and it certainly heightens the eventual feeling of elation if you do win it. But for the sake of my wife and kids it would be better if we just won the remaining games with no more twists and turns because I am no fun to be around on days like yesterday.
  29. Apr 23, 2012

Sir A1ex Full Member

It has the potential to become incredibly enoyable. The season that is, not the planks of wood thing.
  30. Apr 23, 2012

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

Utd's big games are not to enjoy, more to be endured. I can't relax until we're well in the clear (like we were yesterday:houllier:) and even then can't fully relax until the final whistle.
  31. Apr 23, 2012

bananaman Full Member

Im not sure if my heart can take watching this match! might have to go golfing and do a Fergie! ha ha
  32. Apr 23, 2012

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

Have a shit on the hard shoulder?
  33. Apr 23, 2012

KGBhoy Full Member

Our big games in the last 3-4 season have not been our greatest.
    When was the last time we actually performed in a "big" game. Chelsea at home probably last year, and perhaps City in the FA Cup this season. But these are not REALLY big games, deciders.

We have played FA Cup Semi at Wembley last year, CL Final last year, CL against Basel this year, and worryingly, not only did we not come out as winners, we just didn't turn up for those.

This is my worry - we won't turn up on Monday. I might be thinking about the failures more than I do about successes, but I am not feeling confident at all going to the Emirates.
  34. Apr 23, 2012

SATA Full Member

Well for a start, we are definitely not going to turn up at the Emirates on Monday though
  35. Apr 23, 2012

Uzz Full Member

I see. Also, the FA might give them the victory for not showing up at the right stadium or being about 5 hours late.
  36. Apr 23, 2012

togg Full Member

:lol: think he's got the arab stadiums mixed up
  37. Apr 23, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

How was Chelsea last year not a decider?!
  38. Apr 23, 2012

kf Full Member

We're fecked if KGBhoy's driving the bus...
  39. Apr 23, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

Just can't wait to get this over with.

Can't wait.
  40. Apr 23, 2012

togg Full Member

oh me to. Just want to get to monday as fast as possible. If its bad news...sock it to me...good news....well........umm.....I'll start the process again until swansea!!