Italian general election 2018

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Member 5225, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Dec 28, 2017

Member 5225 Guest

Seems parliament has been dissolved for the election in March 2018.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42505233

Seems 5-Star the populist party are in the lead? Is it first past the post system?

Also, they are anti-EU aren't they, what would happen if they won it?
  2. Dec 29, 2017

Cheesy Bread with dipping sauce Scout

5SM are a weird one. They're populist, but not in the traditionally right-wing way of Le Pen, UKIP, AfD etc. Their leader's a very Trumpish figure but I'm not sure the party as a whole are the same. In fact last year I'm pretty sure they tried to get into the Liberal group within the EU, suggesting they'd perhaps move away from being so anti-EU.
  3. Jan 24, 2018

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Just when I thought I was out... They pull me back in!

Like some sick real life parody on Steven van Zandt's Silvio Dante, may I present to you:

EU welcomes Silvio Berlusconi as the man to save Italy from populism

"By 2013, Mr Berlusconi’s political life seemed well and truly over after he was convicted of tax fraud, sentenced to prison, expelled from parliament and banned from public office until 2019. Ironically, his advanced years allowed him to do community service instead of sitting in a prison cell.

Now he is challenging the ban in the European Court of Human Rights. For the moment, he cannot take up a legislative seat, let alone return as prime minister. Another complication is that he is due to stand trial on charges of bribing a pianist at a “bunga bunga” party to lie as a witness in a case involving under-aged prostitution."

http://www.euronews.com/2018/01/23/...usconi-as-the-man-to-save-Italy-from-populism

https://www.ft.com/content/db5d848c-ff59-11e7-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5

Anybody's got a clue about what's happening here?
  4. Jan 24, 2018

Knowledge of Italian politics is admittedly kinda limited, but Berlusconi's party are mostly around 15-20% in the polls right now...he seemingly refuses to go away, but I struggle to see him getting back in again. Presumably if he did it'd be in a coalition with the Lega Nord...who are right-wing populists themselves. The five-star movement are sort of populist but not in a traditionally right-wing way.
  5. Jan 24, 2018

altodevil86 Full Member

Yeah they are a hard one to pin down from a quick skek online. Interesting if they get anywhere near power.
  6. Jan 24, 2018

Yes, I struggle with the same lack of insight. At first glance the malfunctions in the Italian economy, particularly in the banking sector, seem to be hanging over the EU like a sword of Damocles, which could explain this sudden interest of the EU in Berlusconi. But it could also be meaningless, just politicians being politicians - Juncker seems to love everyone after all.

The EU wants their reforms, and while I'm not sure what the populist parties are promising the people in Italy, I doubt it's something along the lines of obeying to the wishes of the European Union at the cost of the avarage Italian citizen.
  7. Jan 24, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

5 stars are populist morons, Lega Nord are right wing morons (a bit like Le Pen in ideology), Berlusconi is crooked.

Renzi - while not great at all - is the only sane choice in the elections.
  8. Jan 25, 2018

Member 5225 Guest

haha blimey - sounds a right clusterfeck!!
  9. Jan 25, 2018

bazalini The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012

Any one on the forums into their Italian politics

We have an Italian election coming up and the significance of it could well lead to the break up of the EU. If Brexit was bad, Italexit will be the nail in the coffin

Italy has such a proud history and is one of the poorest counties in the EU. Unemployment is high, taxes are high and output is low. Migrants enter Italy with the romantic notion of going up to France, Germany, GB, and with these countries closing their borders, Italy has seen dramatic increases in emigration with Cities like Rome & Naples rampant with emigrants, where news of violence, rape, thief attributed to the emigrant population. Italians want their Lira back and an EU similar to UK which would give them more freedom in choice.

here is a who is who of Italy elections. https://www.thelocal.it/20180125/who-is-running-Italy-2018-election

Italians tend to form a party every 5 years - I think the oldest Party in these election would be Lega Nord which dates from 1998. Leading the Polling is the 5 Star Movement which would be Italy's answer to UKIP. Silvio Berlusconi at the age of 82 is back after forming Forza Italia last year and in with a shout.

Enjoy. I'll try and keep everyone updated. But generally I am crap at that
  10. Jan 25, 2018

Five-Star Movement aren't exactly UKIP - that'd be more Lega Nord. FSM are populist and their leader's a bit Trump-esque but on the whole they don't really identify as left or right and are more trying to present themselves as an alternative to mainstream politics right now in Italy. Which isn't an awful idea in itself considering the mess Italian politics has often been.

FSM are Eurosceptic but not necessarily anti-EU; they tried to join the EU Liberal Alliance group a while back. Even Lega Nord are still more Eurosceptic than anti-EU since they know leaving the EU would probably be a bit disastrous for Italy.
  11. Jan 25, 2018

Meant UKIP as in Populist BS. Say anything. Yes Salvini and Lega Nord would be UKIP regarding politics of it. But both are as bad as each other.

How you know so much??
  12. Jan 25, 2018

I don't really, that's just the basics from what I've read and heard...wouldn't be able to go substantially into the complex politics of each individual party etc.
  13. Jan 25, 2018

just seeing this now. Probably best I delete my thread
  14. Jan 25, 2018

I am trying to get into it as I have a very close friend helping me with my Italian and I am learning it this way.

Its good fun looking into an election where you have no real interest
  15. Jan 25, 2018

Yeah, Italians always tend to be very disparaging about their politics, when I was there the general consensus was a beautiful country but terribly run.:lol:

The fact Berlusconi could still conceivably get back in again (unlikely as it may be) is incredible.
  16. Jan 25, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Are Kenwood mixers made in Italy?
  17. Jan 25, 2018

Javi Full Member

No, mods should merge.
  18. Jan 27, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

At which point Italy is one of the poorest countries in Europe? They are one of the richest but they are also badly run and there is too much disparity.
  19. Jan 27, 2018

crappycraperson "Resident cricket authority" Scout

Lega Nord pretty much came into existence on an anti-immigration platform. Thought when I was in Italy, they were mostly prevalent in northern part of Italy.
  20. Jan 27, 2018

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Didn't they originate as a northern-separatist party?

There is a huge disparity between income, tax contribution and welfare payments between the North and the South as far as I understand.
  21. Jan 27, 2018

It's in the name, from what I understand they don't want to share or help develop the south and don't like immigrants, in particular chinese. It's always a weird one for me because the North benefitted from their geographical proximity with merchants towns from France, Belgium and Germany, it's not as if they made themselves, they deny the cooperation and support that made them in the first place.
  22. Jan 27, 2018

van der star newprawn warrior Scout

Lega Nord have been harping on about getting independence for the northern states for two decades now. They're based mainly in my state Lombardia, and also in Veneto. They even introduced the concept of "Padania" in the parliament but it hasn't officially been recognized(also they've kind of dropped this point from their current election manifesto). Funnily enough, for a party that has such a hard and fast stance on immigration and the north vs south mentality, they get a lot of votes from people in the south.

Salvini, their leader, is a moron, who should not be taken seriously as a human being, never mind as a politician. He is as close as you can get to a European version of Trump. And sadly enough, it looks like the coalition between Berlusconi's Forza Italia and Lega Nord will end up winning most of the votes and the next PM will come from one of those two parties. If Lega Nord gets the majority of votes, Salvini becomes the new PM.

I've come to terms with octagenarians and the likes behaving a little oddly and/or saying racist and ignorant things around me and to me, because of my name and my skin colour, when I'm working on them in the hospital, but seeing people in positions of power come out with such ideologies that are being lapped up by the masses makes my resolve to leave Italy ASAP that much stronger.
  23. Jan 27, 2018

24. Jan 27, 2018

@van der star are people oblivious to the fact that this movement comes from the richest regions of Italy and that their stance can't be considered as anything else than selfishness? Also how do people see the south closing the gap with the North without providing decent infrastructures and plans to develop it at national level?
  25. Jan 27, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

26. Jan 27, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Salvini is a moron, however Zaia (governor of Veneto) has done a good job. While their platform is childish, they seem to have transformed it. Now they want Italy to get out of EU instead of the independence of North, because they want to get votes of center and South too.

I don't think that they ever got more than 12 percent of the votes.
  27. Jan 27, 2018

Sorry but I feel like I'm not qualified enough to answer these questions. I tend to stay away from politics because I don't have close to zero interest in these topics. Our resident Italians can probably weigh in with their insights - @giorno , @Markolan , @Revan , @Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87
  28. Jan 27, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

They get all their votes in the North. They changed their stance towards independence in order to get votes in other regions, but that hasn't been successful. They dominate Veneto and Lombardia, get some votes in other northern provinces and that's it. Which is why they can never hope to become the biggest/second biggest party.

However, now they are in coalition with two other right wing parties, which can be problematic considering that the left is divided while there is an another big populist (but not right wing traditional populist) party. A bit of a clusterfeck, all things considered.
  29. Jan 27, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Salvini has trasformed the Northern League from a pro-independence party to a nationalist one, as he is trying to gain votes beyond he North. In fact the former leader Umberto Rossi doesn't agree with him.

I am a Democratic Party member though. Voting for them, albeit i don't like Renzi that much. Too centrist, a sort of "italian Blair".
  30. Jan 27, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
  31. Jan 27, 2018

Yeah the North is fairly well-off, probably partly because of being right next to other European countries like Switzerland/France etc, but it seems like the further south you go the poorer it gets. A shame since it's a beautiful country, but politically always has certain issues.
  32. Jan 29, 2018

What Newspapers does Berlusconi Own in Italia? I am following this as much as possible on Rai and all I am seeing is his ugly mug as well as Salvini. Nothing on 5SM or Fratelli.
  33. Jan 29, 2018

[​IMG]

Seriously - come On Italy. He is 81. He has more plastic in him then Buzz Lightyear
  34. Jan 29, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Italy :lol:
  35. Jan 29, 2018

alsabi Full Member

'To infamy - and beyond!'
  36. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Il Giornale. Libero is also right-wing.
  37. Feb 4, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Not that some of their members will get elected, but neofascist parties like Casapound and Forza Nuova are very strong in some areas, especially in Toscana, Lazio and Lombardia.
  38. Feb 6, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
  39. Feb 7, 2018

40. Feb 7, 2018

Supports:
    Arsenal
    There are many neonazi groups in Lombardia, tbh. "Hammerskin", "Lealtà&azione" and "Blood&honour". Most of them come from ultras group (mainly Inter, Pro Patria and Varese).