Jake Livermore’s confrontation with West Ham fan

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Pogue Mahone, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

I was one....and I stand by that. There are some times in your life when you're going to go off on someone and imo, this is one of them.
  2. Jan 3, 2018

Feed Me I'm hungry

Bollocks to this.

The fan was way out of line* and Livermore's reaction totally understandable*.

What a dreadful thing to taunt someone over.

*Edit: If proven.
  3. Jan 3, 2018

BusbyMalone Full Member

I don't disagree with you mate. Again, it's not so much being right to wrong, but with emotions taking over and people understanding and feeling empathy with him.

Two wrongs don't make a right is all well and good when being objective and detached, but that's not how shit works unfortunately.

Not saying he's right, but i can absolutely understand him lashing out. I'd be lying if i said i wouldn't like to see the guy who shouted these disgusting comments getting a strong slap around his fecking cranium.

Whether that's right or wrong i couldn't really give a shite in a situation like this. That's just how it is.
  4. Jan 3, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

We also live in a society of emotions, unless of course one is an android.
  5. Jan 3, 2018

Still ill Full Member

Surely you are not suggesting we have robots on the forum, Raoul?? Apart from Damien. Obviously.
  6. Jan 3, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

:mad:
  7. Jan 3, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen

How is it inexcusable?
    You can say it's not right and that he should receive punishment, but it's absolutely excusable.
    If you catch someone in the act of raping your child for example, you can be excused for flying into a rage and beating the bastard into a bloody pulp. It's not right and you'll rightly receive punishment for it, but everyone should be able to understand it and see it from his side as a justifiable action.

Hell, all he did was confront the guy according to what I've read.
  8. Jan 3, 2018

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

I'm glad West Brom stood by him and didn't offer any kind of apology. That kind of premeditated abuse is vile.
  9. Jan 3, 2018

VivaObertan Transfer Voyeur

West Ham fans getting away with something else? Shock.
  10. Jan 3, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

West Ham fan being a cnut shocker
  11. Jan 3, 2018

Gusjaros Banned

Supports:
    Several teams
    I actually disagree with all of your statements.

1. Livermore's behavior is excusable. It's fully excusable to react in this manner.
    2. Livermore's behavior isn't immature. I think it's actually immature to not be man enough and stand up for your dead son.
    3. Fan should not receive life ban. Life ban is too absolute. More like a ban for a couple of seasons. Who knows what the fan have gone through? Maybe people that acts in this way have been through shit as well.
  12. Jan 3, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Are all WHU fans inbreds? Is something wrong with the water in that part of London or what?
  13. Jan 3, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

I am shocked that this happened at West Ham. Shocked
  14. Jan 3, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

Yes they are. It’s just a fact now. Everyone who has been to that footballing part of the world will not be surprised at all
  15. Jan 3, 2018

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Would be totally different if it happened to you, you would not be saying this.

Who cares about work in the grand scheme of things, someone who is giving that kind of abuse deserves to be punched.
  16. Jan 3, 2018

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

I support Livermore fully in this, and I always would.

I supported Cantona in kicking a xenophobe and this is infinitely worse from the 'supporter'.

To give it context, I loathe Man City, really truly loathe them. I read today that David Silva's baby has been born very prematurely and is struggling, my take on it? I feel nothing but compassion for Silva, I hope his baby survives in good health and I hope his family are ok through this.

And I really mean that - it's a defenseless, innocent baby ffs.

Fully support Livermore.
  17. Jan 3, 2018

Hernandez - BFA The Way to Fly

It's easy for those to say that Livermore's actions were "inexcusable". If they had gone through what he's gone through and then some absolute swine says things about a baby's bereavement, they may act differently.

It's easy to take the moral high ground if you're a third party here, but you never know how you react to situations unless you get plonked in them.

I'm known to being quite a cool and nonchalant guy in A&E, but when I saw a patient's relative slap a child cleanly in the department - I erupted, which was a surprise to me.

I'm not in the "wish he fecked him up" camp, but I won't judge him for his reaction what so ever.
  18. Jan 3, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

There's always one nobhead in these threads.

Shame Livermore didn't land any blows, completely understand why he tried.
  19. Jan 3, 2018

Xcited Full Member

I live and reside in east London. I often go with family who are season ticket holders and fans themselves. Usually manage to hit 10-15 home games a season.

Usually head to the local pubs before and after the game.

I find 80% of their fans are fine, regular people. However they do have a good proportion who are cnuts.

I've seen some awful displays by the fans there. A few weeks ago, myself and my cousins had to stop a group of thugs bullying, and robbing a disabled fan (also a westham fan). Just recalled it was the everton vs westham game.

Hurling abuse at the poor young bloke, taking his match programme and forcing him to buy them pints + food.

Don't get me wrong you'll find these horrible traits in fans of all football clubs, but westham is IMO worse than the average. Probably stems from the past of the club in the 80s too.
  20. Jan 3, 2018

antihenry CAF GRU Rep

I struggle to understand what goes on in this person's head when he says such things to another human being. You may dislike a player immensely but to taunt someone over his dead baby, this is beyond my comprehension. What a vile twat.
  21. Jan 3, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Just sad he didn't get to lamp the fan in the face tbh.
  22. Jan 3, 2018

Xcited Full Member

Spot on.

Any match going fan will admit they've said something abusive, or at minimum said something with profanity. However it's not personal, everyone gets caught up in the emotion from time to time.

When insults are deeply personal like this or racist It's a different thing altogether. Hope it ruins his career. That's the kindest thing I can say about him. In reality I would like much more unpleasant things to happen to this person. But if I went into detail, I'd probably earn myself a ban :lol:.
  23. Jan 3, 2018

Posh Red New Member

I worked as a cashier in a building society for three years. You'd be incredibly surprised at what goes on from time to time.
  24. Jan 3, 2018

King.of.Red New Member

I believe in this life there is karma. Wonder what will happen to this WH fan cnut..
    I support Livermore. Shame, he couldnt land one or two punches.
  25. Jan 3, 2018

Drawfull Full Member

Totally agree with you, but as I said in the first post I made in this thread, people in the public eye are at massive risk if they retaliate, no matter the provocation. It would be better if they rose above it, but obviously it's difficult if it's a personal attack on your family.

I think the retaliator is protected legally if the retaliation is in 'proportion' to the provocation (whatever that means), but in the time leading up to that moment of proof (and this is why I quoted you specifically), anyone famous would be fecked over by the media. So, whilst I get his reaction (and have no problem with it) he's in a such an elevated position that he probably should have walked away, filed a complaint with the FA or whoever, and moved on.
  26. Jan 3, 2018

Moonwalker Full Member

I've witnessed an incident in a local supermarket just the other day actually. A lady went absolutely berserk at this cashier, accusing her of selling at a higher price than what was on the label. She used pretty much anything vile she could possibly summon from her vocabulary, before calming down and realising she's wrong after all. But at the end of the day, those are just general expletives, whereas this is a whole other order of ghastliness which is usually just not on the disposal of random people no matter how ill intended they may be.
  27. Jan 3, 2018

The Cat Full Member

Really don't care about any criticism about his response.

You can't say things like that to anybody nevermind if they happen to be playing against you.

Beyond the pale to say anything associated with his tragedy.
  28. Jan 3, 2018

Richard Cranium Banned

Police officers face similar abuse sometimes on a daily basis depending upon their role. Would we excuse such behaviour from them?
  29. Jan 3, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
  30. Jan 3, 2018

Oldyella Full Member

They really dont, this statement is flat out wrong. They may face abuse in the general sense, but someone hurling insults will not know the first thing about them, and specifically their family and how to extract maximum pain in what they say.

If something similar ever happened to me god forbid, I would react in exactly the same way, and if I was working 'a normal job' as some posts above mention, I wouldnt want to work anywhere that would not support me when facing targeted abuse like he received here.
  31. Jan 3, 2018

Richard Cranium Banned

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  32. Jan 3, 2018

FattyFooty New Member

Im sorry but that fan needs a punch in the face. Its disgusting going after some tragic thing like that.
  33. Jan 3, 2018

Jaybomb Banned

Footballers are human beings too. Can’t stand entitled pricks like this who think they can say anything and get away with it.
  34. Jan 3, 2018

Kops 'n' Robertsons Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It’s not inexcusable at all.

First and foremost he is a human being. The loss of a child doesn’t ever stop hurting.

I’m a father myself and back the player here 100%.

Hope that cretin gets banned. Hope he never has to feel the pain of losing a child.

Yes there are laws but we are not robots and this idiot would have definitely triggered a response, and deserved one too - what sort of utter cnut mocks a dead child?

feck all the PC nonsense, he deserved a punch in the mouth.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
  35. Jan 10, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Good.
  36. Jan 10, 2018

Feed Me I'm hungry

100% the correct decision by the FA.

The fan in question is an arsehole.
  37. Jan 10, 2018

James Peril Full Member

What a ridiculous thing to say, you probably know that already.
  38. Jan 10, 2018

Richard Cranium Banned

What?
  39. Jan 10, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

Can't blame him for his reaction... Good it never came to anything physical but I can understand feelings boiled over.
  40. Jan 10, 2018

pauldyson1uk Full Member

utter rubbish , for this to be true the one dishing out the abuse would have to know the Police officer personally.
    I suspect you mean that the Police are subject to abuse and name calling everyday, yes you would be correct, but being taunted about a dead child is something totally different.
    I dont condone what Livermore did , but fully understand why he did it, common sense shown by the FA.