Foot: Right
    Player Agent: Triple S Sports
    Current club: [​IMG] Manchester United
    Contract until: 30.06.2022
    Date of last contract extension: Mar 15, 2019​
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Jul 13, 2019

Rifer Full Member

First touch - nice interception and nice 'first touch' setting up a nice shooting angle.
    Second touch - good goal.

Minutes played - Less than 10 mins.
  3. Jul 13, 2019

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Well done.
  4. Jul 13, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Very encouraging. Garner is the reason I think we should avoid Longstaff, especially for the money quoted. Focus on a top-drawer Herrera replacement or two instead.
  5. Jul 13, 2019

Ace of Spades Full Member

Hope to see more if him, can play CB as well. Not too worried about CM, as that is the area I think we are well stocked in talent coming from the academy.
  6. Jul 13, 2019

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

If we don't end up signing Longstaff it might not be a bad idea to give what would have been his minutes to Garner, to be honest I'm still a bit confused as to why we're after Longstaff given how highly rated Garner is, plus Garner wouldn't cost £30m. I hope he gets more minutes to showcase what he can do on the tour, he seems the natural choice to eventually replace Matic.
  7. Jul 13, 2019

AP88 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    They could play next to each other in a 4-2-3-1 eventually, plus Garner could develop into a top class centreback; it’s McTominay and Matic that Longstaff is the upgrade on.
  8. Jul 13, 2019

McTominay doesn't really play that position, his best form's come in the B2B role. Longstaff would be direct competition for Garner and Matic. You're not wrong about the CB point though, he was very good when we had to play him there last season due to injuries, supposedly he was really highly rated as a defender in the past.
  9. Jul 13, 2019

SATA Full Member

Chuffed for the lad. Everyone in the team was really delighted for him too looking at the way they congratulated him his goal. Also heard on MUTV he's the U18s captain of England, is that true?
  10. Jul 13, 2019

kidbob Full Member

Younger and already better than 50m Longstaff. It's a travesty if we spend that much on a player who isn't far superior to him. Give him chances and by the time he is 20 he'll be ready. The goal was fantastic but he won a couple of tackles where instead of winning the ball he had the awareness to use the situation to pass it to another player. He's a top talent.
  11. Jul 13, 2019

Stacks Full Member

Fo sure. Our academy is acustomed to producing Prem standard players. No need to steal newcastle's
  12. Jul 13, 2019

Dwazza Gunnar Solskjær Lutefisk is it!

Supports:
    Moanchester United
    Nice cameo. Great finish for the goal.
  13. Jul 13, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Great strike for the goal. Didn't play much to evaluate him properly though. Hopefully gets more minutes next game.
  14. Jul 13, 2019

Coops73 Full Member

Great goal.
  15. Jul 13, 2019

OohAahMartial Full Member

I can't believe it's not Carrick.
  16. Jul 13, 2019

UNITED ACADEMY Full Member

Both Longstaff & Garner can still play in the same XI.
  17. Jul 14, 2019

Mickson Full Member

I would like to see him play some more. It's hard to judge a CM based on ten minutes on the pitch. I want to see how he handles playing against men and how he's controlling things out there.
  18. Jul 17, 2019

Rifer Full Member

I think this is his 3rd or 4th appearances so far.

Maybe I need to see more games, but I just can't see anything useful which he can provide to the first team at all. I mean before him, the likes of McT, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Rashford, Andreas Pereira (or even TFM, Mitchell, Wilson, Januzaj or Harlop even if for these five, unfavorable developments afterwards) all showed something immediately from their first debut -- something useful they can bring to the table for the first team to use or which the first team lacking. None so far with Garner. A fair number of those youth players before him also played very small number of minutes, so it shouldn't be a case of lack of chances.

Perhaps next games, he can finally show it.
  19. Jul 17, 2019

dablem_10 New Member

from what i remember there were occuring totally same comments about scotty two years ago, maybe my memory is not best
  20. Jul 17, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    He scored a goal and created a big chance by anticipating and then dispossessing the opponent in his first 30 minutes of preseason. Useful in the high press, picks the right passes to help calm and control the midfield. He has good control of the ball and some trickery to him as well, and you can see he has good vision and understanding of game play. He has a long way to go for sure but to say he hasn't shown anything you can't have been watching out for midfield characteristics.
  21. Jul 17, 2019

Ish Lights on for Luke

Give him some time to develop.
  22. Jul 17, 2019

Thiagoal Full Member

FFS he’s seventeen! Embarrassing post!
  23. Jul 17, 2019

DoomSlayer Full Member

Even Ole said midfielders need more time to properly develop their game. The lad needs a few more seasons, fans are too impatient and expect too much nowadays.
  24. Jul 17, 2019

Agreed, anyone who's watched him could tell you he's the furthest away right now. There's a reason he's so highly rated. Plus, he plays in an incredibly demanding position which requires experience before you can start really shining. With Garner if you don't know what you're looking for you'll miss it.
  25. Jul 17, 2019

NotoriousISSY $10mil and I fecked it up!

I think Ole has made it clear that Garner is not quite there, but evidently he rates him highly enough to keep him in and around the team to try and nurture the evident talent.

I like him. His skill set is still developing, and you rarely see a seasoned central midfielder until they start approaching 22/23, when you start to understand if they're a delicate passer, or if they want to sit back and play as a quarter back, or if they want to pump their lungs in a ferocious box to box role.

McTominay is completely different to the player he was when he broke through, now playing with more confidence and comfort given his physical dominance against most of his opponents.
  26. Jul 17, 2019

Spot on, just have to look at the hottest CM prospects in Europe right now De Jong, Tielemans and Neves are all 22 and even they are still a bit rough around the edges.
  27. Jul 17, 2019

Raven Full Member

What are you blowing on about? Scored a banger in his first game of preseason and then he put in a good showing in his second. As other poster have mentioned, he probably won't be ready until he's 21-23.
  28. Jul 18, 2019 at 05:15

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

He'll have a full season of U-23 football and the Checkatrade Trophy games to look forward too this, maybe the League Cup. The U-23's will be good for him to just play against older and ore physically imposing players. Not just from a strength stand point but speed as well.

Next season he will be closer to the first team squad in the way that Tuanzebe, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are now.
  29. Jul 21, 2019 at 12:51

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Very important to remember. Multiple people have said how highly they rate him, though it's hard for a player like him as they really don't break through until their early 20's. McTominay same, Longstaff is 21, those you listed, the list goes on. The holding midfield role along with goalkeeper is probably the role in football that takes the longest to actually break in to and properly perform if you arent a player reliant on just physicality and energy. Remains to be seen how long itll take him to actually develop, but I wouldnt bet on seeing him too much for another 2-3 seasons.