Januzaj vs 18 Year Old Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Livewire1974, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014

Livewire1974 If it moves, report it.

From a discussion on the matchday thread. I think Januzaj is a better player now than Ronaldo was when he was 18. A better all round game, better work ethic and still has bags of potential. Ronaldo was undoubtedly talented, but was lacking in end product, but with a lot of coaching went on to be a great player.
  2. Jan 11, 2014

Dobba Full Member

Potential - Ronaldo, just.
    Contribution - Januzaj comfortably
  3. Jan 11, 2014

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Januzaj is more complete, can pick a pass etc, Ronaldo could beat a man easier though, I think Januzaj has developed faster too. I mean it was only a few months ago he was being accused of lacking end product, he still has a way to go though.
  4. Jan 11, 2014

If I was picking a team today and had one place for either Januzaj or 18 year old Ronnie, I'd be picking Januzaj all the time.
  5. Jan 11, 2014

acnumber9 Full Member

His performances at the same age are better than Ronaldo's but I'd be amazed if he becomes as good a player as him.
  6. Jan 11, 2014

Drifter American

FFS.Give the boy some breathing space.
  7. Jan 11, 2014

Zen86 Full Member

Januzaj is definitely better for me, although there's a long way for him to go if he ever wants to reach Ronaldo's level now.
  8. Jan 11, 2014

Duffy Fifty Ways of Failed

He's alot less greedy and has a certain composure to his game but its hard to compare. I'd say yes he is better than Ronnie was at 18 but I don't think he will develop into as good a player as Ronnie is now, I think Januzaj has room for improvement and development but Ronaldo's something else, if he gets anywhere near it I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  9. Jan 11, 2014

I dont think he posts here, so we should be alright.
  10. Jan 11, 2014

Liam147 On Probation

I said during the game that he's the best 18 year old I've ever seen. I don't recall Messi being this good. Ronaldo certainly wasn't. My dad said Giggs which is probably fair but I didn't see 18 year old Giggs.

I can't see Januzaj turning out to be as good as Ronaldo, but then I never thought Ronaldo could turn out that good.
  11. Jan 11, 2014

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Januzaj will develop into a different type of player.
  12. Jan 11, 2014

Twigginater WUM Alert!

Silly question. Real question is would you take Ronaldo now or Januzaj? And unfortunately Ronaldo just hasn't got the "it" than Adnan has.
  13. Jan 11, 2014

Theon Full Member

Januzaj looks the better player, he's a much more rounded footballer than Ronaldo was at that age.
  14. Jan 11, 2014

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    This started of in the match day thread with some saying Adnan is much better now than Ronaldo was at 18. Januzaj will be one of the worlds best very soon no doubt, but Ronaldo's debut was unforgettable you could instantly tell the boy had magic, and this was just after losing Beckham too.

15. Jan 11, 2014

Stack Leave Pep Guardiola alone!!!

Different types of player but I would still pick Ronaldo. At 18 it was clear what he would become. I remember his debut and it was the first time I had felt the buzz I got watching Best play. Janujaz is going to be a superstar.
  16. Jan 11, 2014

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet

Oh?

Ah.
  17. Jan 11, 2014

Theon Full Member

What?

As in a 28 year old Ronaldo, or 18 year old Januzaj?
  18. Jan 11, 2014

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Januzaj will develop into a player who doesn't score as much, more of a 20 goals and 10 assists (20 I hope) a season guy. But yeah he's got it all, nearly scored off his right foot vs. Sunderland, got a good leap on him (vs. Villa for Welbeck's goal), can take free-kicks and set-pieces, can cross and pick a through ball, range of passing etc etc. All about consistency and production now with Januzaj already.
  19. Jan 11, 2014

Twigginater WUM Alert!

I was just taking this thread to it's logical conclusion.
  20. Jan 11, 2014

jojojo Moderator

Ronaldo was very good at what he was doing. Exceptional in fact. But he had weaknesses in his game, a mile wide. The kind you could, in fact must, ignore because he was young and was going to be a very special player. And that comes from someone who loved Ronaldo to bits and considered most of the criticism of him not only unfair, but often bizarre.

Januzaj isn't so exceptional in terms of beating his man, but he doesn't need to be. His sense of where his teammates are, and how/when to use them makes up for it. Love him to bits :devil:

We are truly blessed.
  21. Jan 11, 2014

Red Stone Full Member

Technical skill and physical attributes? Cristiano was better.

The reason Januzaj is looking better at the same age is because his understanding of the game at this point in his career is on a completely different level to any other 18-year-old I've seen in ages. That makes him less frustrating and more consistent. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Adnan is ridiculously skilful too.

I don't think Januzaj will get to Ronaldo's level, without that being a slight on Januzaj. He'll clearly be contending for Ballon d'Ors in the future. Amazing talent.
  22. Jan 11, 2014

Someone Full Member

Adnan is contributing much more, however, long term i doubt he'll reach ronaldo's level, i expect him to be a world class player but ronaldo is a one off really.
  23. Jan 11, 2014

kouroux Full Member

Cristiano was better physically and at 1v1 but Januzay is already displaying better passing and intelligence levels.
  24. Jan 11, 2014

Liam147 On Probation

Of course I could be wrong, but Messi wasn't a regular (at one of (if not the) best teams in the world); he was establishing himself. You could say that Januzaj's doing that now but he plays like a first team regular. He plays with someone of much more maturity and experience.

I also seem to recall that Ronaldo was more highly thought of back then than Messi? Though again, that could be my mind playing tricks on me.
  25. Jan 11, 2014

The Don Metrosexual Candy Shagger

I don't like the Ronaldo comparison. Ronnie was more raw and inconsistent at this age but his ability was better and he had a much higher ceiling than Januzaj does. That isn't a slight on Januzaj, though as ronaldo has a higher ceiling than at least 95% of footballers to have ever played the sport.

As I've mentioned in another thread I see Januzaj as more like Laudrup:

26. Jan 11, 2014

moses control

As complete as Giggs as an 18 year old. Both of whom were more mature and better all round footballers than Ronaldo at 18.
  27. Jan 11, 2014

Buchan has whacked the hammer to Roswell (I'm nahealai)

I love Adnan as much as the next man, but I feel that some are doing an 18-year-old Ronaldo a huge disservice here.

He was fecking outstanding at that age. Outstanding. People bringing up his inconsistency are just being weird. Young players are notoriously inconsistent. Adnan has looked poor in a few games this season but, quite rightly, people are highlighting the magic moments. Ronaldo had a highlights reel that most 18-year-olds can only dream of.

Lest we forget that Ronaldo had only moved countries before being thrown in at the deep end. Januzaj has had the advantage of finishing his youth football education in England. Small but important point.
  28. Jan 11, 2014

moses control

Yeah, stop being so gay, let's pretend we are football fans and base it on what happens on the pitch. ;)
  29. Jan 11, 2014

Maroon Lucifer Full Member

Victory has a hundred fathers, defeat is an orphan
    It has to be a fault in the matrix that the world first gets Ronaldo, and then Adnan is born exactly a decade later. To the day even.
  30. Jan 11, 2014

LawCharltonBest dog poo sniffer

Impossible to say. United had better players and a much better midfield back then.

I do think Januzaj is better than Bale was at 18 though. Rooney remains the best 18 year old player I have ever seen.
  31. Jan 11, 2014

ISSYNAZAR Full Member

(Di) Maria, it's good to see ya (in a red shirt)
    Ronaldo was better at the extraordinary 1 man stuff...the dribbling and audacious skill.

Januzaj seems to have quite a natural football brain and brings more to team play and opening things up for others.

Ronaldo had to be taught how to play best for the team and Januzaj will probably have to work extra hard on the individual stuff (free kicks, long range screamers, skill etc).

I don't know I'm just happy he's playing. He's already a class above Valencia Young and Nani and all its taken is a run of games to settle him down and show he's arguably one of the first names on the team sheet when fit.
  32. Jan 11, 2014

Hal9000 Full Member

Ronaldo at 18 looked more exciting, but Adnan at 18 has more of an end product and works harder.
  33. Jan 11, 2014

C.M.P 2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner

Impossible to judge given we all know how good Ronaldo became. Give it a few years and we can compare the early part of each players career objectively.
  34. Jan 11, 2014

Stack Leave Pep Guardiola alone!!!

Thats probably the best explanation
  35. Jan 11, 2014

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Actually I'm not, my grandad was Scottish
    Januzaj will be one of the worlds best very soon no doubt, but Ronaldo's debut was unforgettable you could instantly tell the boy had magic, and this was just after losing Beckham too.

And lets not forget Rooney as an 18 year old.
  36. Jan 11, 2014

holyland red Full Member

Real fans must be drooling with anticipation
  37. Jan 11, 2014

NinjaFletch Full Member

I really don't know how you can watch Januzaj and say he's not in that 5%.

Will he make it? Who knows, but he's outstandingly gifted
  38. Jan 11, 2014

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

I think Adnan looks superb really excited by him.

But even though Ronaldo at times at a young age infuriated, he is still the most talented looking teenager I have ever seen in English football.

Will never forget George Best gushing over him when he made his debut as well.
  39. Jan 11, 2014

datura Full Member

Adnan is a far matuter footballer at 18, hard to judge how high his ceiling is compared to ronaldo though.
  40. Jan 11, 2014

jojojo Moderator

That's an interesting comparison. Giggs was more of a "proper" winger though, a flair player who worked hard and always played to his teammates strengths. Januzaj, even as a kid is showing a flexibility that came much later in Giggs' career, in that sense more like a young Ronaldo in his play.

What Giggs never did was break through as the kind of goalscoring winger that Ronaldo was going to become. I actually do see that eye for goal in Januzaj, maybe not to be prolific as Ronaldo because I think he'll develop in a different way, but it'll be a bigger part of his game than it was for Giggs.