Jonny Evans | 2011/12 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances Forum' started by Sir Matt, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Jan 20, 2014

mufcwarm92 Full Member

What a load of utter shite I'm reading. He's been our best defender this year. He got trapped behind the keeper by a couple of seconds of ball watching - a bad mistake but one of very few he's made all season. Ridiculous that he's being written off on here. You genuinely think Koscielny and Mertesacker - probably the best partnership in the league - are better players individually? He's as good/better and if we find a coherent unit people will be eating their words.
  2. Jan 20, 2014

Getsme Full Member

Ooh come on FFS.
  3. Jan 20, 2014

finneh Full Member

I don't really understand what's wrong with saying he's a good player who will always be a great option to have, but is never going to be top class. Does anyone really believe he has the potential to be as good as Vidic, Stam or Ferdinand?

To be honest I wouldn't mind giving him a run of games with Jones in defence. Lets be honest he's no worse than Cahill, Vermaelen, Nastasic, Skrtrl etc. The difference of course is that they have either a better partner in defence or a better midfield protecting them. In my mind he's the perfect 3rd choice centre back.
  4. Jan 20, 2014

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Yes he is. Evans is our first choice centre back. Nemanja is an aged crock.
  5. Jan 20, 2014

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

No wonder we keep conceding whenever evans is in there. If that is our first choice center back then god help us.
  6. Jan 20, 2014

Shimo Full Member

Yeah he is the common denominator in our defensive frailties all season .... not the overall team displays and lot of individual mistakes by others.
  7. Jan 20, 2014

SATA Full Member

26 is still pretty young in terms of age for a defender, i reckon he will be a complete defender when he reaches 28, 29 provided he stays injury free and plays regularly. Not everyone is born good to do what they do like Maldini or Nesta really
  8. Jun 4, 2014

MoneyMay Full Member

god shave our queen, speshly her hairy goat legs

Had to sort copyright issues, but here's Evans' best passes this season.

LvG will have him as first choice.
  9. Jun 4, 2014

Tarrou Full Member

Great video, thanks for posting. It's definitely Evans + 1 as far as first choice 11 goes.
  10. Jun 4, 2014

pascell Full Member

The problem with Evans is that he misses lengthy parts of the season due to injury, something we can ill afford when aiming to gain a consistent back 4 to build our team on.
  11. Jun 4, 2014

MoneyMay Full Member

god shave our queen, speshly her hairy goat legs
    Right foot, left foot, his distribution is really good. He was definitely our best CB last season (having watched our games again).

He just needs a very good run of games now, and I have no doubt that with that - his confidence and composure would be augmented - we'll see him as a leader in defence.
  12. Jun 4, 2014

Eric'sCollar Asked for his wife's permission before signing up

So glad he now gets the recognition he deserves. Still can't believe people doubted his future at United purely based on a few mistakes.
  13. Jun 4, 2014

mazhar13 Full Member

After watching that video, I have just learned that Evans is actually two-footed. He looks comfortable with either foot, and this will make him a very useful asset under van Gaal.
  14. Jun 5, 2014

goldenstatesplash Banned

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof
  15. Jun 5, 2014

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

I've been saying it for years, the only problem with Evans is his inability to stay fit throughout the season. At his best, he's one of the best defenders in the league and with his experience at his relatively young age, he could very well end up as one of the best defenders in the world, all subject to him actually staying fit though.
  16. Jun 5, 2014

Loon Full Member

I think Evans is the only defender in our side with a brain. Smalling and Jones are last-ditch tacklers and prone to being caught out. I think Evans would really come into his own if he were partnered with a top notch defender. Be interesting to see him play alongside Hummels.
  17. Jun 5, 2014

Loublaze Full Member

Mostly crosses in the video, just saying. Evans is on an equal playing field now with Smalling and Jones. All three will have to impress LVG.
  18. Jun 5, 2014

Gannicus Banned

If Jonny can cut out the bonehead mistakes he'd be a top class defender. I'd like to see him Erik on his athleticism as well. But the potential for greatness is obvious.
  19. Jun 5, 2014

Fergies Formula Full Member

He needs to get more physical and be more intimidating, right now he is sometimes easy to play against and gets bullied by big guys. A striker would never fear coming up against him. Granted he is silky with the ball but thats not everything, there is a reason he isn't really rated outside of the united fan base.