Jonny Evans

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Solius, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Aug 28, 2011

CLK_FPC Fists of Fury

Had a poor game but this is out of sync with his recent performances
  2. Aug 28, 2011

Plan M Banned

I don't think we should judge Evans by pre season games though. He's looked dodgy on more than one occassion since the Community Shield game. And we all know what he was like before then.

I just can't see him being a first choice centre back at Man Utd in the long term.
  3. Aug 28, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Very Kocielny like today. Lost concentration too easily.
  4. Aug 28, 2011

Commadus Banned

He was good today the penalty was harsh to say the least.
  5. Aug 28, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

My initial feeling as regards to his performance was that he was disappointing but I think Evra gave him a hard time as well.
  6. Aug 28, 2011

giggs-beckham Clueless

Fabio smalling jones evra

For me.
  7. Aug 28, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

If he had got a red card, that would have been harsh but I think it was a penalty. You cannot just hold someone back in the box and not expect a penalty.
  8. Aug 28, 2011

Devilton Banned

Personally, I still think he's the weakest of our 4 CB...and there's always a feeling with him that he'll make a mistake which could cost us big. The peno was obviously a bad mistake, but otherwise he had a decent enough game.

The peno was definitely deserved as well...not sure what he was thinking wrapping his arms around the player when he was going nowhere.
  9. Aug 28, 2011

Skywarden Full Member

He has definitely raised his game a notch, overall, but yes he still needs to work on his concentration. It was very good against Tottenham, mind you.
  10. Aug 28, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    No he hasn't.
  11. Aug 28, 2011

prateik City Fan

Watching the highlights and he was the only one who spotted the danger for the walcott goal.
    Smalling was playing walcott on so that wasnt anything to do with Evans. He anticipated the ball and was already on the move. Just couldnt get there on time

And it was a pen. didnt think it was at the time, but did look like a needless tug when I saw it again.
    Still did well for me. Over his dodgy spell from last season. Plenty of promise
  12. Aug 28, 2011

WireRed Full Member

I thought he had a good game today, in line with his recent return to form. The reason he may have looked suspect is because he's having the misfortune to play inside of Evra, a full-back who goes walkies on many an occasion and who is constantly allowing runners beyond him to marry up with passes down his channel, this drags Evans out of position far too much for his liking which makes him look worse for it when really he's having a good game and having to bail out his much more experienced team mate who is letting himself and the rest of our defensive unit down big time over recent months.
  13. Aug 28, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Smalling is playing as a winger. Evra needs to get back some form. Cleverley and Anderson aren't the ideal pair to shield the defence. Considering they were playing against some class forwards today they were very good, and have been in every game they have played. Evans is back to his best.

Not missing Rio, and Vidic is some compliment to Evans and Jones.
  14. Aug 28, 2011

WireRed Full Member

Slight exagerration, but Evra(a fully fledged international and LB of a decade or so)really needs to watch Chris on the other side to rejog his memory of what full-back play is all about. Smalling has been playing there for 4 fecking games and has mastered the balance between defence and attack in a way Evra hasn't managed for a good 18 months. I love Evra but there is only so much poor form that your reputation can afford you. If this carries on much longer, I'd hope to see Fabio get a run at LB, he's shown enough at RB last season to merit a chance if Evra can't get it together once our experienced defenders return to full form and fitness.
  15. Aug 28, 2011

JayWalker Ball Spotter

Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
    I thought he was quite good today as well. Except when one moment which I can't remember. He's been excellent this season thus far and I still stick to my belief that he'll be a top CB.
  16. Aug 28, 2011

Jonno Full Member

I agree that he will be a top CB for us. He is one of our most experienced Centre backs now, and he is still only young.
  17. Aug 28, 2011

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Ok, must be just me then that thought aside from giving the penalty he was excellent.
  18. Aug 28, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

I have to say I disagree. While Evans and Jones are excellent we have looked dodgy at times at the back. For example Arsenal themselves could've scored 3 or 4 despite us dominating so convincingly.

Look so much more composed with the experience of Vidic and Ferdinand.
  19. Aug 28, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

I did too, memory's not great from all of the hysteria but I remember thinking on a few times that Evans is still looking as good as ever.
  20. Aug 28, 2011

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

I really do wonder at times if some people on here even pay attention when they watch a match. I don't recall Evans misplacing one pass all game and he was very much the leader in centre defence making a number of interceptions and looking a lot more dominant than he has been aerially. I guess people see that he gave away penalty and assume he had a stinker
  21. Aug 28, 2011

Nani Nana Full Member

this
  22. Aug 28, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

The pressure is due to our attacking play, and hardly any support/shielding from the middle. We're playing with two very attack minded mid-fielders. There's not been a passage of play in any of the games they've played where I thought Rio, and Vidic combination could've made a difference.

Rio, Vidic, and Carrick's experience will be invaluable during our European run with the away goal rule being vital.
  23. Aug 29, 2011

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

He had a good game against Spurs but was poor yesterday and Arsenal are no longer the most atheletic team but that's when he really struggles, especially in the air. Jones and Smalling already look better prospects IMHO.
  24. Aug 29, 2011

CLK_FPC Fists of Fury

Started pulling it together towards the end of last season pre season or not looked mint against Barca and carried it into this term. Yesterday showed a wobble but he stayed on track rather than coming off.

I like him and still have faith in his ability
  25. Aug 29, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    He was excellent. He had one or two moments. But I have no fears of him playing at CB.
  26. Aug 29, 2011

forevrared Full Member

Didn't think it was anything close to a penalty on first viewing, but the camera angle that showed the linesman's view made it definite. Also a bit at fault on Walcott's goal - no reason he shouldn't have blocked it and I think that's what De Gea was expecting. That aside, I think he's done well as the elder statesman in central defense.
  27. Aug 29, 2011

#07 Full Member

I don't think he should have blocked the shot I think he should've had the awareness to move up with the rest of the line when the initial (poor) clearance by Evra was made. Had he done that the through ball gets flagged for offside. Nonetheless, barring that Evans made virtually no errors and looked pretty reliable though his tendency to grab opposing players is something he needs to rub out. Smalling and Jones are, to my eyes, superior centre-halves but by and large the sloppiness that crept into his game last season has vanished and he's getting back to where he was two seasons ago which is pleasing. I still regard that Champions League game away at Inter his best game in a United shirt love to see him get to that level again.
  28. Aug 29, 2011

Devil may care Full Member

He's had a decent start but I'd put Rio back in against Bolton.
  29. Aug 29, 2011

bsc Full Member

Evans directed proceedings from the back yesterday. He was the one barking orders and organising the line.

He mopped up numerous times, covering both fullbacks and Jones, and his distribution was fantastic.

He's still young and learning so of course small errors will occur, same with De Gea. It's a bonus these blips occur in victories and don't cost the team points.

Evans is going to be a very solid, versatile and dependable player for years to come.
  30. Aug 29, 2011

Starkie_1 Full Member

Sorry, I know everyone has their opinions and what not... But fecking hell, really? He has looked like Vidic in the air at points this season, timing his jump and meeting the ball perfectly on the majority of occasions.

As for Smalling and Jones 'looking better prospects', its just plain old muppetry that all fans are guilty of. New youngster playing way above the expectation levels. It was the same when Evans first broke through, something a lot of you are forgetting.
  31. Aug 29, 2011

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

Agreed!
  32. Aug 30, 2011

edison Full Member

another wes brown standard.
  33. Aug 30, 2011

Richter Hairy big footed Swede

Having to cover for a wayward Evra is not helping his case. He did ok against Arsenal, but needs to cut away those stupid challenges in the box.
  34. Aug 30, 2011

mufcwarm92 Full Member

In fairness, though he looked alright aerially against Arsenal, it's his major weakness and really effected him last season. Teams would target him with brute centre forwards in the knowledge that he often struggles in the air. We suffered against Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton and Newcastle to name but a few, some resulted in dropped points and many were a result of Evans being targeted and exploited.

There haven't been any moments like that yet this season, hopefully he's been working on it, we shall certainly see as the season progresses. He was amazing in his two seasons at Sunderland and breakthrough season at United, solid in his second (with only a couple of dodgy games) but really struggled last year. I still have high hopes for him but whether he'll become a regular started is another matter.
  35. Aug 30, 2011

championo Top Stalker

I really hope people watching the game see this. Evra's play is affecting the whole backline. For the senior player to be creating the liability makes the whole thing fecked up.
    As far as I am concern, Evans was solid in this game and all the once he has played this season. I used to be worried about him, now I am quite comfortable and liked his reaction after the penalty. Did not go mental and it did not affect his play one bit.
  36. Aug 30, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Yes. That's the problem. Like the French kid at Arsenal, he is consistent concentration away from being top draw IMO. Good thing is he is young enough to rectify it. SAf ironed it out of Rio's game and he became a super star. I hope he does the same for Jonny. A apart form his 2 major lapses he had looked very good. Way more confident in himself than he did last season.
  37. Aug 30, 2011

elmo Can never have too many Eevees

He didn't do as badly as Evra in the Arsenal game, in fact he had a pretty good game.

Would love to see

Smailling - Jones - Evans - Fabio

to be given a try. Evra needs a kick up his ass.
  38. Aug 30, 2011

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Evra isn't defending properly and hasn't since the world cup last summer. I'm all for giving Fabio a chance as it stands, because he's a liability and it must be hard for Evans to constantly cover for him.

That said, two key mistakes from Jonny vs Arsenal, not going with the line on Walcott's goal plus needles shirt-tugging to give away a cheap penalty.

Jones did a blunder which led to a goal as well. It's concentration issues which need to be ironed out. This goes for De Gea as well.
  39. Aug 30, 2011

notiboiboi Full Member

He had a good game. The goal and penalty was evra's fault. Walcott is evras man, but evra just lost track of him the whole game, allowing walcott to attack the space behind evans and evra.
  40. Sep 8, 2011

Kelvin Banned

Evans fears United exit

Jonny Evans has admitted he must improve at Manchester United this season or face the probability of it being his last.

The Northern Ireland international has certainly started well enough, retaining his place for the record win over Arsenal after stepping in for the injured Rio Ferdinand in the previous week's win against Tottenham.

Together with Phil Jones, Evans has forged a youthful partnership that has also done Chris Smalling a favour given it was Sir Alex Ferguson's faith in the pair that allowed him to move the former Fulham man to right-back, from where he has jumped into the England team.

But Evans knows he must maintain his current form in order to avoid a repeat of last season's disappointments.

"Of the three seasons since I came back from Sunderland, the last one was my most difficult," he said.

"I didn't hit the form I wanted. I went away and thought maybe I have another year, if I had another season like that I am sure the manager wouldn't want me around.

"I wasn't playing consistently to a good enough standard for Manchester United so I have gone back to basics and worked hard."

Evans was confident he would get that extra year and Ferguson would not make a snap judgement based on a single poor season.

The departures of Wes Brown and John O'Shea to Sunderland were a further hint in that direction, although Evans realised he could not afford to take anything for granted.

"The manager never said anything to me and I never went to see him," he said.

"I was pretty confident the manager wouldn't get rid of me. I have always thought he has a bit of faith in me. Maybe you do have the odd doubt but I thought it would have been unfair if I had left, considering the two seasons I had before.

"Last year wasn't a total disaster. There were times when I did feel good and others where I felt I needed that level of consistency every week.

"I was on holiday when I heard John and Wes were in talks with Sunderland and would be leaving.

"It did make me think there was room but no matter who the manager gets rid of, or signs, there are so many players who can step into so many different positions it is crazy.

"If you are not in his plans he will move you on. If you are here you have a great chance of being involved."

That Evans was able to play a full part in United's three-week pre-season tour of North America has helped his early-season form, although the 23-year-old has previously admitted similar performances last summer proved to be no indicator to what lay ahead.

It could be that he is also feeding off the exuberance of those around him who, staggeringly, have put Evans into the category of old stager.

"It is weird," he said.

"It is hard to believe Phil Jones is only 19. Chris Smalling is 21. David de Gea is 20. We have the Da Silva brothers.

"The average age against Tottenham was 23. I was just over on months. It has given the young players an incentive to step up to the mark.

"You cannot be a kid anymore and sit back and let things happen. You have to stamp your authority on the team."

Changes are inevitable now though as the games pile up.

Before the next international break, Benfica and Basel must be faced in the Champions League, Leeds visited in the Carling Cup and four Premier League games played, starting with Saturday's trip to Bolton, when Evans feels the true value of this United side will start to become known.
    "It is different at home," he said.

"We are so good at going forward and scoring goals it takes a lot of pressure off you.

"But we have a lot of big tests coming up. It is places like Bolton and Stoke that really test you.

"Going away from home to get a result will be tough with such a young side, so I am sure the manager will tinker with it when the time is right."

UTV Sport - Evans fears United exit