Jonny Evans

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Solius, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Mar 4, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

At the start of the season, I think he would have been. If Rafael had been fit all the time, then he would've been in at right back, meaning that Smalling and Jones would've also been ahead of Evans in the pecking order. Jones is debatable, but I think it's a fact that Smalling was ahead of Evans.
  2. Mar 4, 2012

forevrared Full Member

Jonny's career path (including the treatment he gets from the 'fans') seems to be directly paralleling Darren Fletcher's.
  3. Mar 4, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

Seems to have struck up a real understanding with Rio, which is bringing the best out of Rio too, despite his slight loss of pace due to age etc. A great combination.

When Vidic comes back next year, great to have rotating 2 from those 3 and of course with the excellent Smalling on the edges too.
  4. Mar 4, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

I hope so minus the injuries of course, happy to say I've always rated both.
  5. Mar 4, 2012

EdWeatherall TFD

Really good today
    The two CBs were fantastic, as I thought Adebayor and Saha were excellent, they held the ball up so well at times, which allowed them to attack us quote often.
  6. Mar 5, 2012

Raven Blade Dull

Outstanding defensive work with Rio. He's definitely in the team on merit at the moment and long may that continue. It will benefit the whole team to have such consistency at the back.
  7. Mar 5, 2012

girish I too love women...for their shoes.

That tackle on Lennon was class.
  8. Mar 5, 2012

kiristao Full Member

Spot on mate.

It cant be a co-incidence that Rio's performances have been top notch since Evans has shown his class.
  9. Mar 5, 2012

kiristao Full Member

There was this one moment when Evra let Lennon open out wide and instead of trying to go block the cross, he passed the responsibility to Young (72nd min).
    United cleared the cross after which Evans had a right go at Evra. His performance the last few weeks has made him confident enough to question other players.
  10. Mar 5, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    There's similarities, although Fletcher never had the outstanding debut season Evans had. Which makes the lack of patience shown to Evans even more ridiculous.
  11. Mar 5, 2012

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    His class was always going to shine through. He is every bit a talented the departed Pique.
  12. Mar 5, 2012

Uzz Full Member

No. Pique has been outstanding for almost 3 seasons. Evans has 3-4 decentish games.
  13. Mar 5, 2012

JayWalker Ball Spotter

Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
    Eh?
  14. Mar 5, 2012

BAMSOLA Has issues!

Oh dear, looks like you convenient forgot his first season for us a first teamer where he was mostly very good.
  15. Mar 5, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

No. That's just nonsense. He's had a good season so far now with some excellent displays and his debut season was also brilliant.
  16. Mar 5, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Clueless post of the year 2012 is already sealed up.
  17. Mar 5, 2012

Hellboy Full Member

:lol:
  18. Mar 5, 2012

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Im not a big fan of Evans ( well i prefer Smalling) but feck me - he was fantastic yesterday and very, very good of late.
  19. Mar 5, 2012

Hellboy Full Member

Remember last season when he was torn apart by any lump in the league ? I think he is fitter and mentally stronger. The only problem with Evans is that he seems to lose his concentration sometimes. He's been one of the best defenders in the league really, and he can be the best in the world in the next few seasons.
  20. Mar 5, 2012

Stretch Full Member

I must say, Evans has made me eat my words. He's been fantastic and is showing maturity second to none. He's shown that his 1st season was not a blip on the radar but rather that he was just off form during his rough patch. He's soften the blow of losing Vidic and I hope he carries on in this vein till the end of the season.
  21. Mar 5, 2012

Smores Full Member

He's never played badly while having an extended run in the team. Most CBs struggle coming into a defence only every now and again, especially young ones like Evans.

I think we all fail to recognise how important a run of games is to a player of any position. You can say players need to take their chances but there's very few individuals in our team that can come in and perform straight away.

Thankfully, the manager is a lot more patient that the fans
  22. Mar 5, 2012

RedSky Matt Smith's sinister twin

I'd go check out the teamsheets when we made the current premiership record of amount of games without conceeding.
  23. Mar 5, 2012

Siorac Full Member

He improved in that aspect but it's still his one big weakness; Andy Carroll had the best game of his season against us (and he was still shite but that's what 35 million buys for Liverpool).

But overall, Evans has been very good this season. Calling him the player of our season is a bit over the top though, not least because of the 1-6.
  24. Mar 5, 2012

Hellboy Full Member

What ?

Apart from their second goal, Jonny got the better of him every fecking time.
  25. Mar 5, 2012

mufcwarm92 Full Member

Good run of form for Evans ATM. He has looked much less vulnerable in the air against some decent physical strikers of late. it will be interesting to see if he keeps his place with Smalling and Jones both fully fit.

On the subject of Piqué, when both were at the club, Evans was the more consistent performer and they both seemed to be on a similar level. But there is no doubt that Piqué has matured and developed into one of the world's top centre halves for Barca. Evans on the other hand has struggled at times and been in and out of the side. To say he's had '3 or 4 decentish games' is ridiculous, but he still has a long, long way to go to match Piqué.
  26. Mar 5, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

This sounds very familiar. I think I remember hearing it about someone around 7 or 8 years ago.
  27. Mar 5, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

He has done well against Holt and Adebayor in consecutive weeks. Let's bury the "He gets bullied by the strong strikers" thing now.
  28. Mar 5, 2012

Decotron Full Member

theres always one....
  29. Mar 5, 2012

Irwinwastheking Gimpier than Alex and Feeky

Jonny has been great this year, and it's nice to see the majority of fans starting to support an academy produce rather than taking every opportunity to bash them
  30. Mar 5, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

:lol: @ Uzz. big lolz
  31. Mar 5, 2012

Oh, and *** for this!
  32. Mar 5, 2012

giggs-beckham Clueless

He's improving all the time which is great to see. Baulking up a bit could help him further too, not that he's struggling or anything. Evans and Smalling will be a good partnership in the near future for us.
  33. Mar 5, 2012

Yep.

You've got to be wary that next season could potentially be Rios last at top level first choice, so one of these guys will have the chance to be Vidics partner.

IMO Vidic and Smalling are very similar types of players and I think that Evans would compliment Vidic more in the long run.
  34. Mar 5, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    He's quality, I've always said so. Could be a future utd captain if he keeps working hard.
  35. Mar 5, 2012

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    I'm always hesitant to praise any one other than Vidic when alongside Rio, simply by the fact Rio is one of the finest defenders pretty much ever. But Evans like most lads at this club come in for un-due stick and he's a very good young player.
  36. Mar 5, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Agree completely, the common opinion is that Smalling is Rio's replacement (because of physical similarities, I guess) but he's much more Vidic's replacement with his aerial dominance. Evans is a lot closer to Rio in his use of the ball and his style of defending, for me.
  37. Mar 5, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Evans is a bit like Vidic as well. He's got similar pace and likes to press the strikers at the moment he's receiving a pass. With the ball Evans is usually one of the smartest but he gives it more away in dangerous positions.
  38. Mar 5, 2012

Adam-Utd Full Member

What can i say, ive always been one of Evans biggest haters in the last year or two, his form was shockingly poor and looked so unconfident i could not understand how he was getting games.

But since his remarkable turn around he has looked strong, brave and has made some excellent last ditch tackles too which has saved us.

Jonny looks like a different player in the last 2/3 months and i cant understand where he dissapeared too for all that time!.

I suppose the run of games and the confidence instilled in him by SAF has helped hugely, but i think rio guiding him through the games also helps him alot, he clearly needs a bit of instruction in defence but he has certainly responded admirably.

One thing i noticed most was how many headers he was winning against saha and adebayor. They are 2 of the strongest / most powerful forwards in the league and he was bullying them around - something that has been his biggest weakness in recent times.

Great to see the lad finally showing his worth, and im now pleased i dont see him as a weakness anymore.
  39. Mar 5, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    That's why Evans is such a useful player. Can form a good partnership with any of our other central defenders. Was class with Vidic during his debut season and looks very at home alongside Rio this season.

I actually think Smalling is similarly flexible.
  40. Mar 5, 2012

RedRonaldo Full Member

He's in good run of form, but best defender in the league? Every bit as good as Pique? Come on.