Jonny Evans

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Solius, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Apr 22, 2012

Neutral BTV

What a time to have a poor game :(
  2. Apr 22, 2012

Scrumpet There are no words

You'd really throw Smalling in against City when Evans has been one of the best defenders in the league this season?

We've hardly been praising Evans all season because he's sat and watched us attack teams that came to park the bus now, have we? I can't believe what I'm reading, Evans has been a major factor in us being in the position we are in and people want him dropped.
  3. Apr 22, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Jesus I really think this is ott. I didn't think he was that bad today and I certainly didn't think he was a big problem against Wigan. Loosing goals isn't just about the centrebacks. The midfield could have offered more, with evertons midfield runners getting lots of space, and as I said the fallbacks were much more at fault in general.
  4. Apr 22, 2012

Ekeke Full Member

Absolutely.

Evans has been very good in a number of less high pressure matches but you cannot risk a player who is prone to having a nightmare in a big match in CB.

When Smalling has played well for us he's been up there with the best himself and you can count the number of costly mistakes he's made at CB in a United shirt on one hand.

With Evans you start to run out of hands and I think he's the bigger gamble.
  5. Apr 22, 2012

JB7 Full Member

Really? Rio had a poor game today, thought all 4 defenders were poor today. No way on earth was Rio "great".
  6. Apr 22, 2012

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

He was appalling. Amateur hour defending. We have attack minded full backs which is why we need good centre backs. Evans just isn't quite good enough.
  7. Apr 22, 2012

Well we just completely disagree. No way would I drop him and I think there is no chance that Fergie will.
  8. Apr 22, 2012

ha_rooney Full Member

First time in a while I thought we missed Vidic.

Evans had a very poor game but needs to forget this performance and just look to improve and return to the performances he has given this season when we play city.
  9. Apr 22, 2012

noodlehair "It's like..."

I wouldn't even say it's a gamble. Leaving someone in the side who's probably going to create 10+ openings for the opposition in a game due to mistakes in judgement is pretty much asking to lose.

I'm not sure people pay that much attention to what Evans actually does during games. Even when he's playing well he's really not that good. He makes mistakes quite often (I'm getting pretty fecking sick of seeing him sacrifice his position when he's got no hope of winning the ball), and needs the rest of his game to stand up in order to nullify them.

Against Wigan and today he's making twice as many mistakes and the rest of his game is crumbling apart around them. Even against Villa he was all over the place when they actually managed to get forwards.

Putting him in against City would be like betting on Spurs to win all of their reaining games.
  10. Apr 22, 2012

So not only do people want him dropped, he's also not good enough for United now. He's had a phenomenal season, Wibble.
  11. Apr 22, 2012

Ekeke Full Member

Think about the team not one player Scrumpet
  12. Apr 22, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

There's some epic knee jerking spasticity going on in here.
  13. Apr 22, 2012

Decotron Full Member

some nonsense in here
  14. Apr 22, 2012

He wasn't great, but the amount of times in the first half alone he was doing what he should have been, and then looked round in shock to see Evans doing something completely different was almost comedy.

By the end of the game Rio had the "what the feck are you doing now?" look printed permanently across his face.
  15. Apr 22, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

It's going to be a massive decision for Fergie to make. I really wouldn't want to be in his shoes when he's picking his team for next Monday.

On one hand, you've got a player who has had the best season of his career and who has been solid for us over the past few months. On the other hand, he's also still a massive liability at times and cannot handle when he's one on one with fast players or when he's pushed far up the pitch.

You've got another option who's the better defender, but who has hardly played at all and is a massive risk by simply throwing him in there.

One thing is for sure though. If Aguero and/or Tevez are on song next Monday, then we're going to be in big trouble. Evans will have no chance up against them.
  16. Apr 22, 2012

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    One bad match and all the haters come out of the woodwork. Some ridiculous criticism going on in this thread right now.

Evans should still start against City.

Rafael was the biggest problem tonight. Junior mistakes at both their last two goals.
  17. Apr 22, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Maybe, but it's no more kneejerk than some comments when he was playing well. People were calling him a world class player and actually comparing him to Pique.
  18. Apr 22, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Judging him on his performances over a season is as knee jerk as deciding he's not good enough off the back of one game? Yea, ok.
  19. Apr 22, 2012

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

I can't believe he will play against City. That would be madness.
  20. Apr 22, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Rafael getting the blame for the 3rd too? Ha ha, you lot are mad, balls drop in the box, it's difficult to judge where, the striker got lucky.

Evans was at fault on the 3rd, no need to come over to Rio's man, silly decision.
  21. Apr 22, 2012

Theres a big difference between praising a player who is good over a long period of time and massively criticising a player who's just come off one bad game (where he wasnt even the biggest problem, just part of a defensive unit which played very poorly overall).

The former is justified, while the latter is the definition of knee-jerk.
  22. Apr 22, 2012

Roy Full Member

One poor game and you turn into complete spastics...

Evans has been superb this season, every player makes mistakes. Everybody's talking about how much they miss Vidic and rightly so because he's a great defender, but he's also had quite a few awful performances over the years...
  23. Apr 22, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

No, the praise for him was warranted but the extent to which he was praised was not. Comments comparing him to Pique are no better than some of the tripe on display in this thread today.
  24. Apr 22, 2012

Evans should take some of the flak for the third, but Rafael should have followed Jelavic instead of just standing in no man's land watching the ball untill it was too late.

For the 4th Rafael just randomly stopped following Pienaar which was his man.
  25. Apr 22, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Just annoyed both him and Rio went for the ball which fellaini knocked down to Jelavic, poor that.
  26. Apr 22, 2012

I've been telling you all season that his poor judgement in when to sacrifice his position was going to catch up with him. It now has, fecking blatantly, and repeatedly, in two of our last three games...our next game's against City.

I don't care if he is bloody Vidic. If there's a weakness in someone's game causing that much of a problem to the team you can't just do nothing about it and pretend it wont happen again.

No one listens to me :(
  27. Apr 22, 2012

MikeUpNorth Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

I listen to you Noodle... I listen.
  28. Apr 22, 2012

noodlehair should get some credit for actually not being a kneejerk as you have been pointing this out for a long time. But most of the posters in here criticising are just knee jerk spastics.
  29. Apr 22, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Think you're being very harsh, also regardless of how attacking the fall backs are they should be able to defend and today, much like most the season they've been liabilities.
  30. Apr 22, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I criticised you for a comment in the match thread which I thought was embarrassing, but you actually are right here to an extent. I respect that you've stuck by your opinion when almost the whole forum would have disagreed.
  31. Apr 22, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

One bad game doesn't change that he has been brilliant this season.
  32. Apr 22, 2012

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

Didn't think he was noticeably bad at all. Fellaini and Jelavic were both excellent with their back to goal holding the ball up against him but no-one was gettin past him. Dont think the centre defence were helped by the midfield who were outnumbered 3 v 2 and the fullbacks who switched off a number of times.
  33. Apr 22, 2012

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Despite how well he's done all season, you always get the feeling that he's an accident waiting to happen. And it happened today.
  34. Apr 22, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

He was only really at fault for the third goal. First was a quality header, second a great volley, third he got it wrong but Rafael could have been tighter on the cover, fourth Rafael completely let pienaar go.
  35. Apr 22, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

The entire back four was poor.
  36. Apr 22, 2012

I'm always right Banned

He should've been much tighter on the 4th, you can't let a forward turn and pick out a pass in the box so easily.

I agree with the poster above, we should stop trying to lay blame at individuals, as a defensive unit we simply were not good enough!
  37. Apr 22, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Some?
  38. Apr 22, 2012

Roy Full Member

This.

Also, there was zero cover from midfield. Our back 4 were constantly exposed.
  39. Apr 22, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Yeah but the pass was so easy because Rafael completely left his man which you don't expect. Fellani is a strong player he can't just knock him off the ball in the box.
  40. Apr 22, 2012

acnumber9 Full Member

The striker got 'lucky' because he was anticipating. Rafael reacted slowly.