Jonny Evans

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Solius, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jan 9, 2011

AttackingFlair Full Member

Very good performance, just think he needs to improve the timing of his leaps
  2. Jan 9, 2011

Legendz Full Member

On his last clearance just before coming off he turned away and walked away a bit. Looked like he might have been injured.
  3. Jan 9, 2011

Silva Sticky tip

Good performance but he is crap in the air, he needs Vidic to teach him a thing or two.
  4. Jan 9, 2011

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

:lol: noticed that too
  5. Jan 9, 2011

decorativeed Full Member

Much improved today, but still needs to cut back on the aimless hoofs and play it simple.
  6. Jan 9, 2011

Chabon Full Member

That was a vintage Evans performance. Comfortable against a big name, a handful of stand out moments, and a niggling injury.
  7. Jan 9, 2011

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Smalling is more like Rio IMO. Very comfortable on the ball. I agree about Vidic vs Evans in that they aren't similar. But I think Vidic's reading of the game is underrated because he is perceived as quite an aggressive player.

Smalling has done well in most games he's played in. I wouldn't have any qualms about putting him in a big match at all. He's showing great maturity. I still think Evans and Smalling are tied as 3rd choice CB and it just depends on who the opposition forwards are that would determine who'd start.

Great thing is we have a huge variety in our choice of CBs.
  8. Jan 9, 2011

Dion Full Member

Quality today, nice to seem him back in form.
  9. Jan 9, 2011

Jiggs'Hamstring Full Member

I thought he was exceptional, showed a comfort on the ball that suggests his confidence is high again. One game on the road back to being one of the most highly-rated young defenders in Europe. A blip's a blip
  10. Jan 9, 2011

TheReligion Abusive

Well played Johnny!

Brilliant display.
  11. Jan 9, 2011

MacMUFC Banned

For me, Evans is more like Rio and Smalling is more like Vidic. However, every single one of them are completely different defenders, so its difficult to compare. Smalling is aerially dominant ala Vidic, which is their biggest strengths, but arguably shows more composure similar to Rio that will only improve. Because its so impressive for his age, its highlighted more than his aerial dominance.

Evans' reading of the game is excellent and his distribution gets too much criticism, too. It will improve with experience and on occasions has proven to be very good.

I dont think Vidic's reading of the game is underrated at all, I think people accept its very good, but its not exceptional if thats what you're getting at.
  12. Jan 9, 2011

MadDogg Full Member

“Manchester United never lose, they just run out o
    His distribution was a bit poor for the first 20 minutes or so, but otherwise that was more like we want. Good game, let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
  13. Jan 9, 2011

Raven Blade Dull

He was excellent. He looked back to his best. We know he is a very good reader of the game and today he anticipated danger well and nullified it at the source. It turned out to be quite a comfortable game for him. If he's truly back on track again, I hope he builds on this performance.
  14. Jan 9, 2011

wr8_utd :'(

I was very nervous about him playing today and that early header he lost to Torres made it worse but I'll take my words back. He was very good today. Don't know why he was taken off. Good to see him back to his old form.
  15. Jan 9, 2011

TheReligion Abusive

I have been critical of Evans on several occasions this season and rightly so. The performance of his against West Ham was disgraceful for someone of his capability.

What I can do though is delight in the fact he appears to be playing with his head up again and putting in a shift.

Good display today, build on that Johnny and you will push on at United yet again.
  16. Jan 9, 2011

Kelvin Banned

very unlucky with that header right at the end first-half, solid game for us defensively.
  17. Jan 9, 2011

Sam Full Member

I thought he was pretty flawless tbh. Really don't remember him putting a foot wrong all game. Was unlucky not to score aswell. Good to have you back Jonny.
  18. Jan 9, 2011

vuc First Team Serb

Really good today. Didn't have loads to do, but what he did have he took care off. Nice anticipation a couple of times on the half way line, and unlucky not to score with the header.
  19. Jan 9, 2011

Feed Me I'm hungry

I hope that a number of posters are feeling embarrassed and ashamed of themselves off the back of that Evans performance. He was the best player on the park - outstanding.
  20. Jan 9, 2011

decorativeed Full Member

I wouldn't go that far. Best performance of the season by far from him though, hopefully he's turned a corner, but lets not get carried away.
  21. Jan 9, 2011

Crumpsall Red Full Member

Well done Jonny, had the ladyboy in your pocket all afternoon.
  22. Jan 9, 2011

Feed Me I'm hungry

I'm not getting carried away. He didn't lose a defensive duel all game long. And he carried the ball out of the backline a few times to good effect as well.
  23. Jan 9, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    started out a little shaky I thought. But settled in very well.

was he injured today with Smalling coming in?
  24. Jan 9, 2011

Red_Jamie Full Member

Great game. Probably our best player today.
  25. Jan 9, 2011

Cutch Shit stirrer (Literally)

His first game since November so he'd have been gettin a bit tired towards the end. I seen him stretchin his calves shortly before he came off so i'd imagine it was just a bit of cramp
  26. Jan 9, 2011

decorativeed Full Member

No he didn't. He occasionally went for a long ball when there was nothing on and a simple pass along the ground was available, but that was his only fault today. He didn't lose a dual as there really weren't that many do deal with. Most of Liverpool's efforts on goal were long range hit-and-hope efforts today. He did really well on his runs forward, but that's not something I like to see any of our defenders doing as it leaves is far too vulnerable to the counter. Also, there were better performances from others such as Giggs and (dare I say) Carrick.
  27. Jan 9, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I love it when one of our central defenders gets forward from time to time. It's always been a feature of teams that play attacking football.
  28. Jan 9, 2011

decorativeed Full Member

Yeah, it's good to see a player with the ability and confidence to do that. Sadly at the moment, I don't have the same confidence in our defense's ability to cover a counter attack should the errant defender lose the ball. The only defender with sufficient pace to track back is prone to rash tackles. I'd just prefer to play it safe and for defenders to trust their midfielders rather than trying to be the hero (see John "England's Lion" Terry's positioning against Germany for a good example of the latter).
  29. Jan 9, 2011

Laphroaig Full Member

He lost tons of headers to Torres, though.
  30. Jan 9, 2011

Godfather Full Member

Agreed.
    It`s something I noticed about him as well.
    He does it regularly when we play teams we completely control.
  31. Jan 9, 2011

Does "tons" mean two or three?
  32. Jan 9, 2011

tintedsepia Full Member

Think the idea of Anderson & Smalling coming on is to keep control of the ball more to see out their game and limit their possession of the ball - less possession means less chances for them!
  33. Jan 9, 2011

Laphroaig Full Member

Nah, slightly more than two or three. (And maybe not only to Torres.) Enough to invalidate "he didn't lose a defensive duel all game long", which really was the important aspect of my post, don't you think? Regardless, he had a very good game, let's hope he's over the loss of form.
  34. Jan 9, 2011

I thought he was strong enough in the air. Very obviously lost his first aerial dual with Torres but didn't lose many after that. But yeah, saying he didn't lose any headers at all is stretching the point.
  35. Jan 9, 2011

Eugenius Full Member

Not really the timing, but knowing when to attack long balls and when to drop off and not commit. One of the reasons he got the hairdryer at the San Siro last season.
  36. Jan 9, 2011

Laphroaig Full Member

I thought he lost quite a few, but none of them lead to anything at all, so they were easy to forget.

He was a great threat from corners. Hit the post and should've had a pretty obvious penalty. No luck.
  37. Jan 9, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

He actually did well against Liverpool. He redeemed himself after his dismal performance against West Ham. He almost scored as well. A good come back I should say.
  38. Jan 9, 2011

johnmufc Banned

Very good performance from Evans. I am a fan of his.

However, I do take issue with one aspect of his game. I do not like those forward runs he makes. It is an irresponsible thing for a modern centre-back to do.
  39. Jan 9, 2011

Laphroaig Full Member

He wouldn't make those forward runs if SAF thought is was an irresponsible thing for a modern centre back to do. As decorativeed has said you need other players who are disciplined and capable of covering for him, but if you do, I think it's great to see centre backs burst forward.
  40. Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense. Did you not watch Barca last season?