Jose criticizes lack of concentration and professionalism in build-up to St Etienne match

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by RedDevil@84, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

2. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Maybe an unnecessary case of "washing dirty linen in public"
  3. Feb 17, 2017

Vito Corleone Full Member

As he should do, it's happened far too often this season already. Arguably one of the main reasons we are not in the top 4 is exactly this. We lost the City game because of exactly this.
  4. Feb 17, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

Saw a problem, fixed it, good job. No problem with him saying it to the press as it gives an explanation to the fans and its not making excuses as we won 3-0. He will call players out when they aren't there mentally and he has every right to.
  5. Feb 17, 2017

AR87 Full Member

Also didn't call out any individuals, just questioned the general focus of the entire team leading up to the match.
  6. Feb 17, 2017

prtk0811 New Member

Always skeptical about the mentality of pogba and lingard in the dressing room atmosphere. That dab and punk attitude is so imature.Bailly looked lacking focus too, while fellani will always be mediocre.
  7. Feb 17, 2017

sammsky1 Full Member

Not at all and I'm glad he did so. Sends a strong message.

Great management from a great manager. Our manager.
  8. Feb 17, 2017

lysglimt Full Member

Pogba was one of the few players in our side who looked ready from the first kick of the ball.
  9. Feb 17, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

I like it. Never let them be satisfied. We won 3-0, sure, but there were lots of things that could be improved on and if mindset was one of them, they should hear about it.
  10. Feb 17, 2017

mav_9me Full Member

Agreed.

Not singling out any individuals either.
  11. Feb 17, 2017

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Me too.

I like them both, but I always have this nagging feeling Pogba is a bit of a 'spice boy'. Thought the same about his brother when he was walking around laughing and grinning after losing 3-0 in front of fans who've traveled from France...

Zlatan is crucial in that dressing room I think, and Carrick and Rooney too.
  12. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

I don't think it was wrong on Jose's part to criticize it. I was just wondering if this couldn't be done in the locker room. He could have given them a hairdryer.
    Though it is ok. The guys put everything in public and hence fair enough for Jose to slate players in public.
  13. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

I was also shocked that his brother was all smiles after losing so badly.
  14. Feb 17, 2017

arctictern New Member

Good on you Jose.
  15. Feb 17, 2017

Carolina Red Full Member

In coaching, I've found that it is a feel thing that you just kinda have to coach enough to get the hang of. Sometimes a situation requires a private talking to, whiles sometimes others requires a bit more of a public shaming. You just have to get the feel of which time is right for each. I'm guessing he felt it better to let the fans know that their team wasn't focused and took ASSE lightly.
  16. Feb 17, 2017

Treble_Winning New Member

Guys, lay off Pogba. He is young and is going to be a world class player, but please give him a bit of patience. We did win 3-0. If they could do that while messing about in the build up, I can't wait to see what happens when they get serious. Would we be winning 6-0 instead? Jose's job is stressful but sometimes he (and the fans) need to relax a little. The club is actually winning right now and the players deserve some appreciation FFS. Especially Pogba and Zlatan!
  17. Feb 17, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

It is that mentality we need to get rid of though, It will happen if we get a couple of trophies though, you need that winning, everything on the line mentality, he certainly shouldn't be relaxing in a knockout tournament and no player should.
  18. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

If we are capable of winning 6-0, we need to be that ruthless. It is a good habit to be ruthless. There is no need to be extremely relaxed and settle for less.
  19. Feb 17, 2017

Frank Grimes Full Member

Pretty sure Jose gave them his version of the hairdryer at half-time. Good that they reacted and were better in 2nd half.
    Have a half llike that against a better team and we are out of the competition.
  20. Feb 17, 2017

InfiniteBoredom CAF Political Statistician

Fergie said the day after Moscow, he immediately told the team to start preparing for next year. That's the mentality we need. Fully on board with Jose in this instance.
  21. Feb 17, 2017

P-Nut0712 Full Member

And that's the exact reason I think Jose was right on calling it out.

Aside from that I've no idea why some of you are calling out Pogba here!? If your normal switched on state is to be laughing and joking around then that's fine. It's when your normally zoned in but start messing about that the concentration slacks. People get ready to play in different ways.
  22. Feb 17, 2017

Treble_Winning New Member

Sure, the winning mentality is important, but no offense to anyone - it seems like Pogba has become a bit of a whipping boy whenever things don't go 120% our way. Does he need to put in a world beating performance every game to get the critics to lay off?? Why don't people demand the same perfection from say Martial or Mhkitaryan? Why does Pogba have to be singled out all the time? Yet others (especially Martial) are given indulgence by the fans?

As for the winning mentality, we are the most in form team in England now and have been unbeaten for a very considerable time - the team is winning and clearly has changed its mentality!! Yet it still seems like it's good enough when we win 3-0? The other day during the Leicester game the match thread was full of criticism for Mata and Zlatan even though they both played well and scored (???) do we really expect them to score hat tricks every game? In this game Zlatan did actually score a hat trick and still people are saying he didn't play well!!

All I am saying is that we need to recognize that we are in a good spell right now. The project is going well. It is an exciting time for the club. The mentality HAS changed and it will continue to improve but Rome wasn't built in a day! But of course, I am sure that even if we were 10 points clear at the top of the league, and Zlatan scored 35 goals and Pogba had 28 assists, people would still be saying it's not good enough!
  23. Feb 17, 2017

11101 Full Member

Same. Pogba is able to turn it on when he gets out on the pitch but can't help feeling he's distracting others who don't have the same ability.
  24. Feb 17, 2017

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Pogba cost us more, is declared world class by media and fans alike, and is a much bigger superstar than Martial. So his expectation levels will be as big as his hype. Nothing surprising there. Messi and CR7 are torn to pieces for even a small blip. That is how the world works.

Coming to the topic, Pogba if being criticized for his approach to the game is being criticized for being too loud and probably to be too indulged in his own hype. Some people believe if he cuts down on being flamboyant, he would be better consistently.
    May not be a true way of thinking, as different players have different approach to be in their best form, but still it is a decent opinion. When you do publicity stunts and back it up with excellent game, no one complains. But if you do stunts and then have a crap game, you are bound to get criticized. People who do not invite much attention to themselves might always get off with an average game.

PS: I do not personally think that Pogba is playing shite football. He is playing good. But he has a decent share of bad matches this season and I think he should only be improving as time goes.
  25. Feb 17, 2017

LouisDanGaal Full Member

Sorry I know your post was pointed at Pogba but I was talking generally about that mentality. Pogba is unfairly held up as a whipping boy as you say, I agree, its because he is the worlds most expensive player, his charisma becomes flashiness when we are playing badly, Pogba has been in good form for ages, minus one or two below his standards performances, he has completely transformed our midfield though, I have nothing but time for him.

The mentality is good enough currently, but its because jose intercepts negatives, for instance in the first half we were bad, he fixed that, he addressed the complacency in the dressing room. If you don't like stupid opinions don't go to the matchday thread, people tend to get rash in there, every time I look its full of people saying the daftest things.

I have no idea why people link players social media activity to mentality and performances, its utterly bizarre, Pogba is a complete pro by all accounts, its nobodys business if he likes a joke off the pitch.
  26. Feb 17, 2017

Santoryo ripping the reward

I swear to God some people just get turned on from criticizing Pogba. It doesn't matter what happened on the pitch, someone simply will have something to throw at Pogba and the herd will follow suit.

It's like masturbation to some people. Pogba has simply become an easy target.
  27. Feb 17, 2017

SaintTresano Full Member

In the Center of the World's Largest Ocean
    Think that's a bit harsh. They're family after all, so they're right to enjoy the rare occasion of playing each other on such a big stage.
  28. Feb 17, 2017

Rhyme Animal Modmins said "freeze" and I got numb

Fair play, I did like seeing them so happy, and seeing Pogba's Mum there too.
  29. Feb 17, 2017

Selbourne Full Member

Come on. Pogba's has been one of our best players, and Lingard is one of our hardest workers... But. cnut thats for nothing if he and pogba dabs in public it doesn't mean nothing..

Cant believe you've even bought Bailly into it.
  30. Feb 17, 2017

Devil81 Full Member

Exactly the point Roy Keane made out as well, the Pogba brother situation was pathetic, you would have never seen the Neville's do that silly handshake before any game. I'm fed up with all the Pogba circus already, I imagine the money men are loving it, sadly that's how the games gone.
  31. Feb 17, 2017

Needham Full Member

The problem has to be Phil Jones. Get rid.
  32. Feb 17, 2017

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Pogba and Martial were our best players in the first half.

It was Bailly who started the game half asleep and Fellini, Blind and Herrera were poor too.

Blame Pogba's dancing though.
  33. Feb 17, 2017

prtk0811 New Member

How do you explain this? And the bus video was of the west ham game last year which we lost and bottled it in the end after being 2-1 up when we needed to in that game to secure champions league football.

Not questioning about the lingard's or pogba's ability but a sloppy atmosphere results in lack of focus and sharpness on the pitch.
  34. Feb 17, 2017

prtk0811 New Member

Its not like that, Pogba is great on the ball but off the ball his work rate and movement is a big let down at times. He does not win enough first and second balls in midfield to have control of the midfield at all times. When you play against top teams and big sides he is vulnerable in a 2 man midfeild. I personally feel the more you are fired up the more effort you put on the pitch and you have more focus. It applies to every player not only pogba.
  35. Feb 17, 2017

devilish Drivelish

This team is playing with a no 10 as a DM. We desperately need a DM. Someone who protects the defence and give stability to CM. We do not have that
  36. Feb 17, 2017

Godfather Full Member

You are surely able to see a difference there?
  37. Feb 17, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Dunno if you saw the pre-match interview with his brother but he said the big difference between them is how Paul is so much more competitive and really hates losing. Which is probably a factor in the different trajectories in their careers.
  38. Feb 17, 2017

Selbourne Full Member

I remember it by you suddenly forgetting about Pogba and focusing it about lingard.

But seriously about lingard... I'll remember lingard by his performances. he may act the man-twat backstage,but who knows if he's always like that and is such an impact in the dressing room?!
  39. Feb 17, 2017

Irrational. Full Member

Completely agree with Jose. The first half yesterday felt like a testimonial. The focus on the Pogbas was also ridiculous. Save the laughing, joking and secret handshakes until after the second leg.
  40. Feb 17, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera

Don't have a problem with this at all. He is reminding them that it is now coming towards the business end of the season. We have a cup final next weekend and he wants them completely focused, he is a winner and wants trophies. Start slacking off and it can unravel quickly. He is showing them that really nasty side to keep them on their toes. He was having apoplexy on the touchline in the first half and it got a bit better performance in the second half.