Jose has a dig at the crowd

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Pavl3n, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017

Santoryo ripping the reward

Funny how we all sit in our armchair couches criticising and slating players for their performances when we're not the ones kicking the ball on the pitch yet we get sensitive when fans get called for their horrible support on the ground.

Your logic simply doesn't make sense here. Fan supports were poor so people call it how it was.

At the end of the day you do what you're trying to criticise and forbid other to do which is criticise others(players) week in week out when you're not in their shoes.
  2. Sep 13, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

The logic does make sense. They two are not comparable at all.

As fans, we are powerless to control anything that happens on the pitch. None of us are going to play for the club. We watch the millionaire superhumans do it. We have zero chance of being in their shoes, no matter how much we want to be.

However, as fans, if you're not happy with the performance of the crowd, you can do something about it. You can go to a game be a part of it and make something happen. You can very easily be in their shoes, if you want to be. To call it horrible and embarrassing is poor to me when you weren't there. I wasn't there last night either, but I've been to many Champions League group games, and I know how difficult they are. You're usually surrounded by empty seats and people going to their first ever United game. When you try and start something, it falls flat, and the issue is exacerbated by European away fans singing for the full 90. Those who thought it was embarrassing are free to go make it better. Though being embarrassed by it seems hyperbolic to me. The home fans weren't there to make those watching at home feel good.

I know we've been out of the Champions League a little while, but it's nothing new. Group games are nearly always tame, patchy and worsened by vocal away support. Especially the early ones.
  3. Sep 13, 2017

DuncanEd Full Member

It just won't improve year on year it is the same thing and the same points all valid that are brought up.

J Stand have tried to do something about it but mixed results. I don't think it will ever change for smaller games.
  4. Sep 13, 2017

Wilt New Member

It's like sitting in a cathedral .....someone farts and it's heard by thousands
  5. Sep 13, 2017

Adisa Full Member

You guys are wasting your time. Nothing will change. It's the way of things. Better get used to it.
  6. Sep 13, 2017

ZupZup Full Member

I finished work at 5:30pm. Had a few beers at home and eventually left my place in Altrincham at 7pm. I wasn't late for kick-off. They've actually got more people doing searches etc. and I found it faster to get in last night than most matches I've been to over the past 6 months. Perhaps more people are turning up early which is why it's not so much of an issue getting in quickly....
  7. Sep 13, 2017

Carlsen19 Full Member

Very quiet last night and people were leaving around me with about 20 mins to play. The traffic was an absolute nightmare granted but I couldn't imagine soending that much money and missing so much of the game, mental.
  8. Sep 13, 2017

AshRK Full Member

I don't know why you are making this a match going fans v. Those sitting in their couch and watching the game. It is just an opinion that yesterday old Trafford was pretty dull. Yes there was rain and traffic but to leave 15 to 20 mins prior the game was a joke. You could see many empty seats from 80th minute. And please don't bring "you do not live in manchester crap". It's not like others have never been to a stadium. I hate when people leave early when their team is winning. Even we have work, college, school what not but many do not leave nut yesterday many left which was sad.

And it is not just yesterday the atmosphere at old Trafford have been dull for some time that even our manager complained. Maybe it's not just the fans who have to be blamed, maybe the authority should bring some old school feel. Overall things jas to be changed.
  9. Sep 13, 2017

SteveTheRed Full Member

Every time I've been it's a pretty dull atmosphere. Not a criticism only at United though it's the same for pretty much all top6 teams. If I want to see a football match with atmosphere I go to my local league 1 side.
  10. Sep 13, 2017

RedNed77 Full Member

Not convinced myself. I sat (stood) in the east stand close to the Basel fans last night and most people near me were stood up for the entire game. Was the quietest ive ever heard old trafford last night. Barely a peep from the area i was stood in.
  11. Sep 13, 2017

jojojo Moderator

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    It's patchy. I queued for over half an hour, my brother scarcely queued at all. There were fans arriving after 8 in my section, and I could see that happening in a lot of areas around the ground. Given the Basel fans had fireworks with them, I'm assuming the checks will get slower rather than faster as people start to arrive in heavier clothes.
  12. Sep 13, 2017

ZupZup Full Member

For me, it seemed like everything seemed quieter when I arrived... the tram, the walk down Warwick Road, the concourses. The steward in my area even mentioned it to me and asked me how busy it was outside the ground. Maybe traffic was a bit worse than normal but it's been a while since I've seen so many empty seats at kick-off.
  13. Sep 13, 2017

Needham Full Member

Sky is darkest just before sunrise etc. Football is that close to being on its arse.
  14. Sep 13, 2017

DuncanEd Full Member

The gates went down for a bit so season tickets were not working but papers were. Photo going round from one of the exec lounges showing the queue to the ticket office snaking round the car park. Some people reported not getting in until 30 mins after kick off.

Shambles but that's United ticket office for you.
  15. Sep 13, 2017

theREDMAN New Member

Is it true they don't allow drums and flags and such? The last time I flew across the pond to a game I didn't think the atmosphere was bad at all, but I don't remember seeing any flag waving craziness like you get in some other stadiums. Even here in the states at MLS games there are some CRAZY atmospheres so surely we can get OT rocking. I don't know what the solution is but we need to find a way to make sure teams are nervous to come play us at home.
  16. Sep 13, 2017

Utd heap Full Member

OT can still get up for it when needed. It's the same as every ground in the country pretty much.

The lower divisions are even worse, complete myth the atmosphere is better down there at 'real football' level.
  17. Sep 13, 2017

mazhar13 Full Member

There's no ultras/supporters group that organizes such things like there are for many MLS sides. The J Stand is trying to make themselves what the Kop are, but it'll be baby steps for them until the J Stand gets to that level.

Without a dedicated supporters/ultras group, you won't see the "craziness" that you see in Selhurst Park, Kirklees Stadium, or most continental clubs.
  18. Sep 13, 2017

Tincanalley Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Saw it on TV last night. A lot of empty seats. Fairly crap opposition. Rotten evening. I wouldn't be too hard on the crowd for not being exactly on fire.
  19. Sep 13, 2017

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

It's almost like you've discovered football today.

And unless you're a season ticket holder yourself, i'd suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself on other's level of support.
  20. Sep 13, 2017

But to actually make the effort to go to the game is what he's saying. Rather than those who just click a button on their laptop, moan about how poor the support is, and then log off.
    Top support!
  21. Sep 13, 2017

Agreed pal. Set off at 2.10pm, got to the ground for 7.10 (!) (and actually made it in at 7.50, my own fault for thinking I could eat/pick some things up etc first), but I saw people leaving with 15mins to go, miss the 3rd goal, and you wonder about them! £40 or so for a ticket, others travelling 1/4 or more of a day, and the real locals are the ones leaving that early!
  22. Sep 13, 2017

East 2 had a super long queue. Not helped by apparently legitimate tickets not working, meaning some unlucky bastads had to queue, get searched, trot back to the ticket office, trot back, queue again, and then be searched again!
  23. Sep 13, 2017

Santoryo ripping the reward

" Rather than those who just click a button on their laptop, moan about how poor(insert names here) is/are, and then log off" which is basically what people/fans on these boards do about players 24/7.

And has it also occurred to you that some if not the majority of fans online on these boards don't have those fortunate circumstances where they can attend games live mostly due to location.

"Making an effort going to games", please don't make it sound like it's some hard task people are sacrificing their time over. It's a privilege most people on these boards would kill to have.
  24. Sep 13, 2017

carlosp Full Member

2:03 onwards about the crowd.

Even Basel supporters were shocked with the poor crowd support. 20:55 onwards
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 00:18
  25. Sep 14, 2017 at 00:08

DuncanEd Full Member

There are people who drive from the bottom of england, fly from ireland etc to get to that game. No easy fecking task with time off work & financially.
  26. Sep 14, 2017 at 00:11

DuncanEd Full Member

No and no one wants that shite either.
  27. Sep 14, 2017 at 00:14

mazhar13 Full Member

Each to their own, but I do remember the massive praises that the St. Etienne ultras were getting when we played them away from home. Mind you, they weren't your archetypal violent ultras, so if that's what you're referring to, no, I don't want that crap either.
  28. Sep 14, 2017 at 00:18

Dante Shares his caf joinday with Badunk

Supports:
    United!
    United season tickets are too expensive for us to get continental-style working class ultras. We could still get a passionate band of regulars, but they're likely to have too much to lose to be violent thugs at matches.
  29. Sep 14, 2017 at 00:42

The Mitcher connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

I stewarding that match and saw quite a few utlras fighting outside the main entrance with the police. Not riot numbers but there were clashes.
  30. Sep 14, 2017 at 01:45

mazhar13 Full Member

There's always some bad apples, I guess. Too bad. Our next-best hope is for us to have a section that keeps rocking for 90 minutes. That's where the J Stand can become important for us.
  31. Sep 14, 2017 at 01:54

LennonNL nipple flasher

How does the J stand work again? Does it merge the most vocal fans into one area? How did they do that?

I put my name on the Stretford End season ticket waiting list about a year and a half ago now, wonder if I can change my application to the J stand
  32. Sep 14, 2017 at 06:45

Fergie's gum Full Member

In Stockholm the whole Ajax section was full an hour before the game. They all followed the lead of a small group of fans at the front with a drum, and they sang for the best part of 3 hours. When the players arrived at the stadium and walked out onto the grass before the warm up, the Ajax players got such a rapturous welcome while our players looked at up only to see empty seats.

Our section was still less than half full 5 minutes before kickoff, not because of commuting issues, but because they were in the pubs trying to get as much down them before the game as possible. When the game started and the United section filled up there were pockets of fans singing various chants intermitently, but other than couple of occasions they never actually spread throughout our section.

It does seem to be a case of organization, having a group of fans dedicated to coordinating the chants. Another factor may be basic reason why people go to the matches. Some go to be entertained, others go for the piss up, while some go to support their team. It just seems we have have more of the first two types.
  33. Sep 14, 2017 at 07:58

Rajma Full Member

Bingo.
  34. Sep 14, 2017 at 09:33

Flytan New Member

I've never understood the whole singing/constant yelling stuff that goes on in some sports. College Football/Football are all filled with it and I don't get it. Why does singing make you a better fan? I get cheering as I do it as well but when it comes down to it I like to WATCH the game, not be focusing on some lines that are strung together for whatever reason.
  35. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:08

SkeppyRed Lineups Game Winner 2012/13

Then you don't understand our culture. It's about as being as vocal as possible in whichever way to give encouragement to your team. Intimidation towards opponents and referees is also important. It's manifested through passion.

A vocal home support is worth an extra 5-10 points a season imo. Could be the difference between a league title or not.
  36. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:25

DuncanEd Full Member

The same ultras who I stood and watched after the game 20 mins later doing Munich airplanes and being wankers before finally stewards started pushing them out? No thanks. They can keep those black bin bags they were waving about also during the game.

6:15 onwards - You'll also see what our away end thought of some dickhead trying to organise chants with a megaphone.

Was clashes all night even in town.

Correct. It is an english thing we like to get on the piss and not nonce about with a drum and a megaphone. I could not think of anything more embarrassing we would have the piss taken out of us beyond belief.
  37. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:33

LoneStar Full Member

First off I have never been to a game. I'm from a different part of the world (India) and a student(so broke basically). So I can only tell my experience from what I have watched on TV.

But the whole point of the away games being difficult is based on the intimidation of the opposition fans, don't you think?

Being vocal does affect the mentality of players, regardless of how professional they are. They are humans after all. So I think it does affect performances indirectly. Just my two cents on this topic. I have no right to criticise match going fans when I watch on a screen.
  38. Sep 14, 2017 at 10:34

We need an rvn Full Member

Doesn't make you a better or worse fan but imagine 70000 people who are like you and are happy to sit there for 90 minutes not making much noise unless the team does something excitong. As a player it would be rubbish to play in a silent stadium don't you think? Sometimes players need something from the crowd.
  39. Sep 14, 2017 at 11:36

Whatsername Full Member

This is a problem we have, except we have to use trains and the last train home from Manchester at night is 10.07pm which means that if we go to an evening kick off then we have to leave midway through the second half to ensure we get back to the station in time. Either that or spend money on a hotel and it gets far too expensive to do. Weekend games no problem, weekdays not a chance.
  40. Sep 14, 2017 at 18:03

Fergie's gum Full Member

Good post, but you're contradicting yourself. You either can or can't do anything about it. The fact that most passionate match goers are resigned to the fact that they can't do anything about it is a result of a lack of safe standing, scattered seating, commuting etc. Individual efforts to lift the crown fall flat. This needs a group effort, though some may see it as unEnglish and embarrassing, what is actually embarrassing is having a home support like ours.
    And just because match goers make the effort to go, and pay money to do so, doesn't excuse their poor support. Maybe they should stop going, and watch it on tv. Their absence will not be felt. It may even make their seat available to someone who will actually support the team, not just sponsor it