Jose Manchester United Team

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by SAred, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sep 10, 2018

SAred Full Member

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
    What should this Manchester United team of 2018/2019 realistically be achieving.
  2. Sep 10, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

Good topic.

V original.
  3. Sep 10, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Not a lot judging us on the first few games.
  4. Sep 11, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Quite confident we'll finish in the top three of the Washing your dirty Linen in Public League, and have a good run in the Anarchy Cup
  5. Sep 11, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

The shit fans shield is in the bag, too.
  6. Sep 11, 2018

GaryLifo Nice Bloke

United will still challenge for the league title this season I reckon.

It'll be a bit like Chelsea in Conte's first season. Start badly but then go on a crazy good run
  7. Sep 11, 2018

Barr New Member

Depending on how our form is going into the winter fixture, we could possibly challenge if our team is largely fit throughout the season.
    A good cup run and CL semi-finalist.
  8. Sep 11, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Depends if we can keep this high press, high tempo, fast passing up. I think we'll scrape top 4 if we get lucky but while playing enjoyable football along the way which we are craving for.

The positive on finishing top 4 with the above points being it focus is that we'll be even better at it next season.
  9. Sep 11, 2018

vidic blood & sand Full Member

Challenging for the title.
  10. Sep 11, 2018

Joeace2020 New Member

Another day, another rehashed topic.. Life in the redcafe.
  11. Sep 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Assuming we win nothing this year which we probably will..

Win the PL and semi's/final of the CL.

Anything else is a huge failure in four years.

We're Man Utd for feck sake!
  12. Sep 11, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Have to say I thought this too :lol:

To answer though, in title race to final days and a cup final or two would be good enough..
  13. Sep 11, 2018

WolfInSharp'sClothing New Member

Supports:
    Wolves
    With the squad you've got and the improvements others have made, a par performance is probably 3rd or 4th in the league, last 16 or Quarter-finals of the CL (depending on your draw in the last 16) and at least Semi-finals of both domestic cups.

Anything more than this would be excellent.
  14. Sep 11, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Oh God, not another trophy for Mourinho to boast about, he'll run out of fingers soon!
  15. Sep 11, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Do you mean what we will achieve or what we should be achieving at 4 transfer windows? Expecting to finish 5th or 6th but battle for 4th. Should be in a title race looking like a good system is in place and the team knowing what they're doing.
  16. Sep 11, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

That’s right. Who wants trophies anyway? This club is not about that.
  17. Sep 11, 2018

yamo123x Full Member

When we have key players like Pogba /Martial who are unhappy for whatever reason, key players like Sanchez/Rashford/Bailly/Lindelof who look so out of form,and players around the squad like Darmian,Rojo,Mata and McTominay who offer very little then it is hard not to be pessimistic about our chances this season.

One bad performance and Mourinho throws them under a bus, look at Andreas Pereira for example, signalled out for a great performance on opening day, hauled off at half time against Brighton and not been seen again. This does not make for a happy squad environment and does nothing for the confidence of players.

Ive said for some time now we need a new fresh approach, something to get the fans believing again, flair football, a bit of passion and fight, just one strong tackle to get the crowd up FFS !
    Mourinho is a dinosaur who wants to promote his ego and nothing else, we need to move on from him, is Zidane the man? Personally i think no, but we need someone to galvanise this place, who can stick an arm around the players and make them thrive. I would take the wolves manager in a heartbeat, he epitomises passion and boy do his players play for him.
  18. Sep 11, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Better than last season. Closer to first.
  19. Sep 11, 2018

Trizy Full Member

You mean the 2 games he's actually missed of 4?

Spurs at home - Herrera/Fred brought in for the high energy / high press
    Burnley - The height of Matic/Fellaini brought in to deal with long balls

Tactical changes, nothing to do with player hate.
  20. Sep 11, 2018

Dolf Full Member

After our first few games top 4 and a quarter or semi final CL would be good.
  21. Sep 11, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    Ultimately, this.

If the winning total of points this season is more 'normal', then I expect us to be right there competing to be the one holding the trophy. Hopefully winning, but at least taking it right to the last week or two. However if City (or somebody else) puts up another ridiculous point total then you have to take that into consideration and be understanding that we may drop out of the race a little earlier than hoped. I'd expect us to still finish second again in that scenario, and hopefully closer than last season.

I would expect an improvement in the CL though, and also an improvement in our general style of play.
  22. Sep 11, 2018

fergies coat New Member

The treble we’re Manchester United.
  23. Sep 11, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    TBF Mourinho has won more trophies than he has fingers... Sometimes I wonder if someone like Klopp would actually be less popular with our fan base if he managed us.
  24. Sep 11, 2018

poleglass red Full Member

realistically should be the league, but I still think we are a few players short. I know City have dropped points but they are the team to beat still. I think if we got 2nd with a smaller gap then last season, that would be a good return.
  25. Sep 11, 2018

IAmAWinner New Member

It's Mourinho's third season here, so anything other than a concrete title challenge is a failure. Quarter-finals at least in the UCL, unless a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona is drawn in the last 16. Win one of FA Cup/Carling Cup. Play better football, the last couple of games have looked good in that regard.
  26. Sep 12, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Trophies, especially the Big Two are nice, but it's more important to be entertained, surely ?
  27. Sep 12, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

He has, he's a cheque book Manager, but he's done well. just a shame that he feels the need to remind us all of his achievements via the press at every given opportunity, don't recall SAF needing to do it when the chips were down, can't imagine Sir Matt doing it either.

Don't know who he is, but once we get a Manager that everybody or a majority of United fans are fully behind from the off there'll be no envious glances towards Klopp at Anfield, Pep at the Etihad, or whoever is the next current flavour of the month. But whilst Mourinho is still in charge....
  28. Sep 12, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Growing as season goes on, season a proper identity re emerge and hopefully winning something
  29. Sep 12, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Title challenge and QF in CL.

Not sure we will achieve the first with our poor start though, unless we go on a run from now on.
  30. Sep 12, 2018

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    I don't think Ferguson had to defend himself nearly as much. I've never known a time when all of our supporters were fully behind the manager, I admittedly was too young to remember Ferguson's appointment, but I remember the complaints during trophy laden years of "limited tactician" and when we moved to 451, and when he sold Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes all in a short space of time. When he sold Ronaldo and didn't spend the money, but picked Valencia up for £16m or so... people complained that he wouldn't spend. He got called all sorts for not leading some revolution against the Americans.

We've had Moyes & Van Gaal since... the Brit who did a lot with limited resources, and a man who'd conquered Europe with a bunch of kids, managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe, and just taken a pretty rubbish dutch side far beyond the sum of their parts.

Now we've got Mourinho, who's won in Portugal, Spain, Italy, and England... and he's won both European Cups. This "yeah she's good looking, but she knows it" approach isn't getting us anywhere. By your own definition, once we hire the flavour of the month there'll be no more envious glances to our rivals...

You can dislike the manager, and you can dislike a player, as people... but I'd like to think the people who say they love this club will still support them anyway.
  31. Sep 12, 2018

sunama Baghdad Bob

I saw our defenders attempt to defend, without an ultra defensive setup and quite frankly, they were a shambles. Every time the ball came into our defenders, they shat themselves.
    I now understand why LVG and Jose ask the midfielders to stay back and defend, though the question must be asked why Jose did not buy 2 top quality CBs, who do know how to defend.

In any case, I think we should be aiming for around 80 points and that'd get us top 4. I think that's realistic.
    If we decide to play attacking football, then maybe 70-75 points, which may see us struggle to get 4th place.

QF in CL would be quite acceptable and appropriate for our current squad.
  32. Sep 12, 2018

Aloysius's Back 3 Full Member

May not be anything to do with player hate - but ultimately a reactive type of football that is dependent more on the opposition than a team understanding of how we should play every single game no matter the opponent. The latter is the reason why he is never a long term manager and goes after the 3rd season.
  33. Sep 12, 2018

Sylar Full Member

Its hard to say improvement on last year. I think we can get closer to City, but that might be more to do with City not getting 100 points this season.

We havent really improved that much in terms of personnel when compared to last year. We might have a stable LB going forward (although that collision didnt help one bit).
    We still dont have a steady CB partnership like 4 or 5 of the other teams in the top 6.

Our midfield is better - with addition of Fred and Perreira now a choice.
    Our strikeforce is too inconsistent.

I honestly can see why Jose wanted a CB, and wanted Perisic last season. And why we needed a RW.
  34. Sep 12, 2018

Patrick08 Full Member

If Pogba is unhappy, there ain't No reason now but his bad attitude and no willingness to work harder to improve deficiencies in his game. Firstly he was not playing in a 3 and not 'free'. Now even that excuse is lost for him. He is just not positionally good enough to control a game of football in the midfield and lacks intelligence in that aspect. He is confused between being a central midfielder and a Box to box player i feel.

I feel for Martial with what happened for his chances initially when Lukaku or ibra came in but he also does not adapt to what Jose asks of him. He struggles to be a winger cum wide striker.
  35. Sep 13, 2018

Isotope Full Member

He still doesn't address the main issue from last season.

City 2017/18 --- League Goals (Total Goals)
    1. Aguero --21 (30)
    2. Sterling --18 (23)
    3. Jesus --13 (17)
    4. Sane --10 (14)

United 2017/18
    1. Lukaku --16 (27)
    2. Martial --9 (11)
    3. Lingard --8 (13)
    4. Rashford --7 (14)
  36. Sep 13, 2018

Robbyb03 New Member

Minimums:
    EPL-
    Top 4

Champions League-
    Round of 16

FA Cup-
    Quarterfinal

Carabao Cup-
    Quarterfinal
  37. Sep 13, 2018

meamth Full Member

To be fair the media wasn't as scrutinizing as it is now today. Sir Alex also had his banned list for journalists.
  38. Sep 13, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Not boring us out of our minds when they play would be a start.
  39. Sep 13, 2018

Trizy Full Member

He bought Sanchez. Obviously that hasn't worked out yet but at the time we were getting a guy who is capable of scoring a goal every other game.
  40. Sep 16, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

I'd give Mourinho my last Rolo if he wins us the League, or Champions League this season, but i'd still want him gone as soon as he'd finished it