Jose Mourinho admits he is powerless to stop Marouane Fellaini leaving Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by van der star, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Feb 3, 2018

CA1 Full Member

He's played about 5 games since October. All injuries on the same knee, it keeps re-occuring.

Take the contract away from him. It's ruthless but Fellaini not signing his contract has meant Mourinho and the clubs plans for the summer aren't set in stone yet. It's disrupting putting the feelers out on new players as it will effect how many midfielders we need in the summer.
  2. Feb 3, 2018

minoo-utd Full Member

Surely his contract will be affected by this injury? He hasn't played 6 games or so since October, so if he wants to stay and Jose wants to keep, there should be no pay rise IMO. I think it's the right time for him to leave.
  3. Feb 3, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Pereira may not be good enough to start games. Herrera hasn't been good enough this season.
  4. Feb 3, 2018

PlayerOne Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

This is just getting silly now. He's clearly not that keen to stay and the way Jose keeps bigging him you would think he's one of the best players in the league. To top it off, his injuries have increased.
  5. Feb 3, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

A compelling rebuttal, I can sense myself wavering :confused:
  6. Feb 3, 2018

prath92 Full Member

What a dumb post. Talk about over reaction after a game ignoring the rest of the season
  7. Feb 3, 2018

Sagittarius13 New Member

I wouldn't mind if he goes away honestly, we need better players in midfield anyway.
  8. Feb 3, 2018

El Jefe Full Member

Care to explain what was dumb or incorrect about it?
  9. Feb 3, 2018

prath92 Full Member

You seem to imply that Mourinho doesn’t like excellence on the ball. Which shows you either have watched us play only against Spurs last game or that you just don’t seem to have an idea what excellence on the ball actually is.

Then there is the whole ‘Mourinho is the only top manager who likes him’. ‘Attacking managers’ like Klopp, Wenger, pochettino still play the likes of wijnaldum, elneny, xhaka, sissoko in midfield quite often who aren’t better than Fellaini in any way

So all in all, very stupid post indeed
  10. Feb 3, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Fellaini should feel lucky that there is still an offer on the table. I don't know what Fellaini is thinking here. No other big club will sign him and the smaller clubs won't offer the wages he is looking for.
  11. Feb 3, 2018

Jazz Full Member

The offer should be taken off the table imho. He's back up. We shouldn't be offering him ridiculous wages. I think Mourinho's weird fascination with him has given him the wrong idea about his true worth.
  12. Feb 3, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Agree. Maybe Jose is trying to be smart here. We have to sign a top midfielder which is going to be costly. If Fellaini leaves, we'll have to sign another midfielder just as a backup which won't be easy. But I would rather back McTominay and Pereira to step up next season than be held to ransom by a backup player.
  13. Feb 3, 2018

MrMourinho#7 New Member

Jose's bizarre persistence with Fellaini never ceases to amaze me :houllier: I know Fellaini has his qualities and brings something different to the table but it's getting borderline now. For me it's a signal that Mourinho started to value of his players attitude, commitment etc. more than their actual quality on the pitch. Maybe that comes from his recent bust-ups with his players at Chelsea. He backed the wrong horses there and it backfired massively. Or maybe it's because we don't consider to buy 2 midfielders in the summer i don't know. What i know is we really should not be begging Marouane feckin Fellaini to stay at the club.
  14. Feb 3, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Bizarrely Mourinho loves him. He’s a good squad player, but the way Mourinho talks you’d think that we were about to lose an irreplaceable world superstar.

The club will buckle under the managers pressure. I’m expecting an announcement any day now that he’s signed a new £200k a week contract.
  15. Feb 3, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Why in gods name are we begging Fellaini to sign a contract. Are we that desperate? He isn't Pirlo in his pomp for hells sake. He can be replaced.
  16. Feb 3, 2018

stevoc Full Member

It must have been some emergency mate it lasted nearly 18 months. In his career he's played almost as many games as an attacking midfielder as he has as a DM, with the vast majority of those games at DM coming early in his career.

You'd be in a minority then mate. I find it hard to believe anyone who has watched him extensively playing for us in a 2 man midfield would prefer him there.

Thats a strange way to spell wanker mate. :p
  17. Feb 3, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Out till end of March. This won't help his renewal contract progress at all tbh.
  18. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

I'll take the 5th
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  19. Feb 4, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Don't know about that one mate the season Fellaini played most games behind the striker for Everton was 2012-13. That year they had Jelavic who played 46 games and Anichebe 32 games.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marouane-Fellaini/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/39679

Fortunately these days we can look up stats for nearly everything. No doubt that site is missing some games from his earlier seasons at Standard but it gives us an idea of how often he's actually played as a DM over his career. Safe to say it's no where near 75% mate.

And you'd be in a minority of one on that one mate.

Davey would kill for 5th these days.
  20. Feb 4, 2018

engulfing Full Member

Fellaini is very effective in Europe against teams not used to coping with long ball tactics. They can't handle his posting up and chest control allowing us to pivot off him.
  21. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

I'm not even gonna click on that link mate because to be honest it's the one side of modern football that drives me bonkers, stats for this, stats for that, stats for how many friggin stats there are aaaarrrrgggghhhh

I've always rated Fellaini, back to the first time I saw him as an 18 year old for Standard Liege, as did SAF who tried to sign him around that age, now I might know sod all about football, but SAF did

Maybe I confused him with Witsel, though i'm not sure why...... :lol:
  22. Feb 4, 2018

nainaisson New Member

Exactly, which is why United were never really in the Super Cup until Fellaini came on and made Ramos' job a nightmare.

It upsets me how easily people forget Fellaini's contributions in the Europa League, where he was arguably MOTM in the final. And when Pogba injured his hamstring, Fellaini was brilliant as his replacement until he injured his knee in a meaningless international friendly. Yeah, United didn't create nearly as many chances with Fellaini instead of Pogba, but they were far more solid defensively.
  23. Feb 4, 2018

Water Melon before it dries out, eh

Had his knee operated, expected to be out till the end of March. I think we will not extend his contract, Ed will probably have the final say, not Jose.
  24. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Or Fellaini lose his ground on the negotiation table and accepting whatever we have to offer. Who knows.
  25. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Or nothing has changed, he's more than likely been offered what he wants from United elsewhere(probably a club in China)
  26. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

That'll go down well with Jose, but maybe that's the 'out' he's always looking for......
  27. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

You maybe right, but who knows. Not many clubs kindly keep their word on newly injuried player. Remember Victor Valdez had nowhere to go after Monaco snubbed him despite he was great before said injury? It's not like Fellaini is that hot.
  28. Feb 4, 2018

Siorac Full Member

BRILLIANT, jesus christ now. His stock really rises rapidly when he's not in the team. And now he's out until the end of March - on Redcafe, he will have become one of the best players of all time by the time he returns.

Yeah, he was good in the EL final against a team of 20-year-olds who completely froze on the big occasion and probably did not expect Manchester United to park the bus and hoof the ball to a big lumbering number 10. But the idea that he is generally effective 'in Europe' is laughable.
  29. Feb 4, 2018

Jazz Full Member

If I were Ed, I'd take the offer off the table asap. We need to see what his recovery is like and how he plays when he comes back.

It would be foolhardy to extend with him when we have no clue what to expect from this latest injury set back.

If Jose doesn't like it, tough. Or Jose can give Fellaini half of his salary if he loves him so much. I swear Fellani must turn into a sexy blonde behind the scenes, because I can't figure out Jose's hard on for this guy.
  30. Feb 4, 2018

eat_grass Full Member

He had surgery prior to the Huddersfield match, but it's not season-ending.
  31. Feb 4, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Fair enough mate.

Is there any evidence for that mate?

I've no doubt it's possible some rag of a paper probably printed that at some point but i refuse to believe Ferguson would have entertained signing Fellaini. If he had wanted him he would have signed him either directly from Standard or in the 5 years he was at Everton. The fact i can't even remember us being linked with him When Fergie was still boss points towards SAF not being interested in the idea.
  32. Feb 4, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

If him leaving means we buy two new midfielders in the summer then bye bye bog brush head.

If it means we only buy one and re-sign Carrick for further year then please please pretty please sign the contract you beautiful haired bastard.
  33. Feb 4, 2018

cyril C Full Member

Follow on my argument, I would say Fellaini / Carrick Exit, New MF in, McTom promote, add 1 more Academy possibly Periera and/or TFM. Total 4 senior MF + McTom (not sure you can call him senior yet), and Periera/TFM picks up all the domestic cup games.
  34. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

Yeah, but Valdez's injury was quite serious, a career ender back in the day, but I get your point
  35. Feb 4, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

what?

and...i had a key hole surgery to my right knee. I barley walked for 6-8 weeks.
  36. Feb 4, 2018

sully1 Full Member

Remember Fellainis foot problem last year that kept recurring

Seems like when ever he gets injured the injury keeps getting bad for a period of time even when doctor claim he is fit.

Also Jose is desperate to keep him because he wants to use a midfield 3 in the CL of Matic alongside Fellaini and Pogba.
  37. Feb 4, 2018

Class of 63 Full Member

There will be somewhere, once i've caught up with all my alerts i'll have a look.

I'm old enough not to hang on every "17/18 year old superkid set to sign for United" article

It was quite a big writeup, there were quotes from SAF, and his Dad(Fellaini's, not SAF's :D)saying he thought his Son was too young to leave Belgium.

Was surprised when he joined Everton a few years later considering some of the clubs that had been linked to him, thought it was quite a coup for them at the time
  38. Feb 4, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Pogba
    Matic
    New MF
    Herrera (not sure how I forgot about him)
    McTominay
    Periera
    TFM

I'd be fine with that if McTominay kicks on and can establish himself as part of the senior squad. Plus I think Periera will come good for us once he gets back from loan.

All contingent on getting the right midfielder in the summer, mind.
  39. Feb 4, 2018

Bearded One Full Member

Boss let him go. He's been a servant to the club these years and has played his part but there comes a time when parties have got to say their good-byes
  40. Feb 4, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I am not sure about how serious Fellaini injury is but it's the knee and has been derailing his season so far. Fellaini is not spring chicken nor an in demanded super star for other club either. So all in all it doesn't look good for him on the negotiation table asking the rumored wage he wants at other clubs. We don't know what would happen, but with his injury there is every chance for the other clubs to snub him.