Jose Mourinho Press Conference - West Brom (A)

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Utdfrom2002, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Dec 15, 2017

Utdfrom2002 Full Member

Still ongoing. From the Utd live blog:

Team news
    The main piece of team news emerging from the Aon Training Complex concerns Eric Bailly, whose ankle injury we first reported on Wednesday night after the Bournemouth match. Jose Mourinho told MUTV the Ivory Coast international will undergo surgery to repair his ankle injury and will be out of action for "the next two to three months."

Baggies full of experience
    The boss believes West Brom, now managed by Alan Pardew after Tony Pulis was sacked last month, have a good squad and he is expecting a tough game on Sunday. He said: "They got so many points with Tony [Pulis] in the big matches. I think Tony assembled a very good squad, lots of experienced players, physical players who adapted to the Premier League, with know-how, lots of experience I repeat. So the squad is good, the players are good, the stadium is enthusiastic, the match is difficult."

Improved tally points to progress

United's tally of 38 points after 17 league games would have been enough to top the table in each of the last 10 seasons, but Mourinho is focusing on the bigger picture. "We are second, the number of points could be first in other seasons, yes, but we are second. This is where we are. Not first, not third, we are second and, as I have been saying, match after match, one match at a time and let's see at the end of the season how many points and where we are."
  2. Dec 15, 2017

Utdfrom2002 Full Member

Three year project
    The boss admitted he knew it would be a tough job when he signed a three-year deal to become United boss in the summer of 2016, but he is no stranger to meeting high expectations. "I knew that was not going to be an easy job. I had that experience before. You go to clubs with a huge history where people look to the history and not to the moment and the expectations are high, but the job is difficult. But I have had that experience before at other clubs, so [it is] nothing new for me."

Is the United job similar to Real Madrid
    When asked if it is similar to his three-year spell in Spain with Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, the boss said: "When I go to Real Madrid, we were in a difficult moment - no league title for many years, no cup title for many years, not even a Champions League quarter-final for many years. So [it] was hard but was good and was good for my development as a manager too, which is something that I always try to do."
  3. Dec 15, 2017

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

14:13
    Mourinho on his future
    I said a three-year contract because it was the time myself and the owner and the board we decided on. I knew it wasn’t going to be an easy job. I had that experience before. We go to clubs with a huge history where people look to the history and not to the moment and expectations are high. The job is difficult but I’ve had that experience before in other clubs.

I told that before when I go to Madrid we were in a difficult moment, no league title or cup, not even a Champions League quarter final for many years so it was hard. But it was good and it was good for my development as a manager too.
  4. Dec 15, 2017

14:11
    Mourinho on Griezmann
    I don’t speak about players - especially players who belong to other clubs.

There is no sense of me speaking about players.
  5. Dec 15, 2017

14:05
    Mourinho on Mkhitaryan and Fellaini
    He was asked about the duo and their futures.

His response:

Nothing to say in relation to that.
  6. Dec 15, 2017

Utdfrom2002 Full Member

7. Dec 15, 2017

Utdfrom2002 Full Member

Not a fan of January window
    Jose says he's not a big advocate of the January transfer market. "If you can buy a player in January that you want to buy in June or July, so you have the chance to get him a few months earlier, then great. But just that."
  8. Dec 15, 2017

14:01
    Mourinho on January transfers
    United have been linked with a number of players but here’s what Mourinho had to say about the chance of players coming:

I’ve nothing to say in relation to that.

I’m not a big defender of the January market but there are players and situations that sometimes you have the chance to do and you shouldn’t lose that chance.

I don’t like the January market just to buy. But if you can buy one you would buy in June, with the chance a few months before, then great.
  9. Dec 15, 2017

koop New Member

Its true, so many people have lost sight of how well we actually are doing.

Man City have had a freak of a run and we have been doing incredibly well also.
    Like it's been said, any other season and we would be 1st.
    Yes certain performances may have not been up to standard, but we have still got the points.
    Just a couple more specific signings and we will become even more scarier.

Good stuff José.
  10. Dec 15, 2017

14:20
    Mourinho suggests he will make changes
    It’s a busy period and Mourinho confirmed to MUTV that he would be more than likely be making changes on Sunday:

Recovering? It’s a rotation, we change a few players from match to match because it’s almost impossible for a player to play all of these matches in December and the start of January.
  11. Dec 15, 2017

On West Brom
    He was asked if he thought West Brom had improved under Pardew:

They got so many points with Tony (Pulis) in the big matches. Tony assembled a very good squad with lots of experienced players, physical players with Premier League know-how. Their squad is good, the players are good and their stadium is enthusiastic. The match will be difficult.

Asked if he thought Pulis should still be manager he said:

You’ll have to ask the owners. They decide.
  12. Dec 15, 2017

Jazz Full Member

On his future - methinks there is no way Jose is going anywhere until he wins his little 'battle' with Pep. It's a challenge that he'll want to see through barring any personal circumstances.
  13. Dec 15, 2017

RedPed Full Member

Agreed. People need to give their heads a wobble.....and quit with all the Man City threads ffs!
  14. Dec 15, 2017

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Bloody right. I'm off to post a thread about all the City threads.
  15. Dec 15, 2017

minoo-utd Full Member

Any one think he is not even hinting to stay beyond his current contract! Really hope he stays but there's nothing suggesting that atm.
  16. Dec 15, 2017

SirAF Ageist

This.
  17. Dec 15, 2017

Trophy Room Full Member

His comments on the contract situation means nothing. I do however feel that we will lose him to PSG. There is no other manager in world football currently who can keep up with Pep over a few seasons bar him.
  18. Dec 15, 2017

el3mel Full Member

19. Dec 16, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

Efforts of Jose and the team are criminally ignored by many on the Caf, you'd think we were in crisis after every point dropped. City are an exceptionally good team and we've got to work on the squad to catch them. Time that supports should be supporting the team, not deriding players and thinking they know better.
  20. Dec 16, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

That'll depend on if he thinks the club are backing him all the way. Him living away from his family and not wanting to move them to Manchester doesn't seem right.
  21. Dec 16, 2017

Footyislife Full Member

You realize the sillyness of the excuse? If it was another year? Get out of here. It's 2017, and we're just not good enough to be first, period. Probably lucky to be second based on our recent track record.

I get it, we aren't as bad an there's a lot of the negativity on the forum, but the reason people are complaining though, is we can see the ceiling of what Mourinho can achieve. To beat Pep it will take more, which i don't think Mourinho can deliver with his brand of football. Sure we'll remain competitive, but is that what our club has become? Playing long ball at home against your biggest rivals, playing ugly defensive football because we are afraid to take risks, play with passion, imagination, and bravery?

Get a manager who is decent tactically, back him with money, can follow these ideals and i'm sure we'd win some titles. Nothing like SAF, but still better than this purgatory we are stuck in.
  22. Dec 16, 2017

Cantonagotmehere Full Member

Great post. Nice to see this type of post here.
  23. Dec 16, 2017

Red_toad Full Member

Yes mate Jose has never beaten Pep at anything :yawn:

Carry on being bitter, it'll do you well.
  24. Dec 16, 2017

notcool Banned

Supports:
    a
    This is not true. Chelsea had 43 points after 17 games last season. Match 17 was the 11th match of their 13 match winning streak.
  25. Dec 16, 2017

Footyislife Full Member

The La Liga and now EPL records are clearly in favor of Pep. Not sure where you are going with that one. We are worse than City atm; some of it is the players, and a lot of it is the manager. It's not about being bitter. Just want to see us improve and be true to our identity.
  26. Dec 16, 2017

notcool Banned

Supports:
    a
    He won La Liga in Pep's last season there, with a record points total. He also beat Pep at Camp Nou that season to all but wrap up the title, and beat him in the CdR final the previous season. He has the record points total in this country too. So what is wrong with his brand of football?
  27. Dec 16, 2017

automaticflare Full Member

It's a horseshit statement probably made up I just done it by date and found 4 season in last 10 years it is not true.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/15-december-2007/
  28. Dec 16, 2017

Pavl3n Full Member

Jose won't go to PSG.
    I have all the respect in the world for him and I must appreciate the hard work he's done here. But both Pep and Jose's contracts are up at the same time. I am more than sure that PSG will go for Pep, rather than Jose. They would want to expand their brand and with the football Jose is coaching, won't be as easy as if they had Pep managing them.
    With the type of football Pep's teams are playing and his success matching Jose's, I can't think of a club that would take Jose over Pep. We took him, coz Pep was already committed.
  29. Dec 16, 2017

Smores Full Member

You talk as if any other manager would automatically have us top. Jose is a doing a great job, lets not pretend that further improvement is so easy.
  30. Dec 16, 2017

Jazz Full Member

He's lived away from his family before... if I recall, when he was managing Porto, his wife and kids stayed in their hometown. I don't believe staying apart for a few days is a big deal for them. The kids are grown, and take it from me, when you've been married for a long time, it's nice to have a bit of space!:lol:
  31. Dec 16, 2017

GM K Full Member

Yeah, every manager in the league should be sacked because Pep's team is topping the table.

Is it so hard to see that we have improved significantly since Jose took over? The stats prove it; trophies prove it; the overall team quality proves it; the current table standings prove it; and the CL 2nd round pairings prove it. A few bad games cannot change all that.
  32. Dec 16, 2017

desmondisback Banned

I could not agree more my friend. Some people here seem to have lost sight of the actual dire quality of football being played (or not played) and where that is taking us (or not taking us). For them it's all about points and position in the table and how we are more solid than before. It's never about the actual FOOTBALL. They never notice the body language of the players and the lack of confidence or belief in big games. They don't notice how the home crowd just sound flat and aren't engaged because they can barely stomach the cowardice being played out in front of them by a team that doesn't seem to want to play and would rather wait for an opposition mistake. These things do not seem to disturb them at all.

They look at league tables , we look at the football. They look at how we are better than we were in the past. We wonder who the hell we will become in the future. They get their calculators out and add up the points. We know that this doesn't prove much. They think we are ungrateful and moaning because "after all we are second you know and not 7th like we were". We see the reality of the dire football being played.

It's harder to point out these things because we are second and we do have a fair number of points and City are on a historic run. We did win those cups last year. We did qualify top of our group. All these things are true. They cannot be denied. But they are simply not enough to paper over the cracks and stop some of us from wondering where all this is leading us in years to come.

At least there are some of us that can see it. If you are blinded by stats and tick boxes then you won't be able to understand what people like me see. I can't put a number on it. I can't quantify it for you. You either get it or you don't. When I see us playing with such fear and such awful football against City at home , then I know there is something going wrong here. I have no way of putting it other than it's my football instincts saying " this kind of shite will get us nowhere in the long term". There are no stats I can produce or evidence I can cite other than what I see on that pitch that simply does my head in.

I know others feel the same around here and there's an attempt to drown us out with stats and points tallies. But it ain't gonna work. There are enough of us little boys who can see that "Emperor" Jose has actually got no clothes on.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  33. Dec 16, 2017

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

That quote from Einstein is like Eric Morecambe's response to Andre Previn.
  34. Dec 16, 2017

Witchking Full Member

Jose deserves massive credit for getting United in the champions league, winning the europa. However the flaws of last season still remain.

He has players who do not seem to suit his style of play. He doesn't yet have a starting 11 confirmed. He keeps changing between Rashford and Martial when both have shown the talent to be regular starters. He gets the team to play with a lot of caution.

It is not a few bad games, these are games against the big teams which prove your title credentials. And sitting behind and defending at home and hoofing against City is not a sign of title contenders, nor is getting picked off against Bournemouth.

If these were a couple of games, we could brush it off, but this has become united's style and it is disappointing. We have the players who can play some good football, yet Jose gets them to sit behind, not have the ball, defend in numbers and except to get 1-2 chances in a game against a big team and expect the forwards to get them without fail in order to register a win with 25% possession.

It is not the loss against City which is the issue, the issue is the manner in which we played. It's like Jose likes to not lose than win whereas other managers are win first.

Yes, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are behind United but their football is much more easier to watch even though we have better players we sit back.

Even if we buy Ozil or Griezmann, things will not change much unless Jose starts getting the team to attack.

Also we are way too reliant on Pogba and have a readymade excuse when he is not present, we do not seem to have any plans for Pogba's absence which is baffling.
  35. Dec 16, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

I agree, he made comments about the competition in La Liga after he got sacked from Chelsea. Ligue 1 is not an ambitious enough league for him to manage in.
  36. Dec 16, 2017

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Miki? Fellaini ?
  37. Dec 16, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

Blind, I would guess. The other 2 are needed until we buy more for our midfield and #10 positions.

Even if we get Ozil, we won't sell attackers in Jan.
  38. Dec 16, 2017

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

With Bailly's injury, Blind has less chances of moving out. Darmian, perhaps, but not likely. And, of course, Mkhitaryan, if we're getting another #10. Fellaini, even if he runs his contract, I'm not seeing Mourinho letting him leave.
  39. Dec 16, 2017

Fluctuation0161 Full Member

Mourinho is probably the only manager who can compete with Pep imo. He beat Pep when at Real Madrid. If our squad was in a better state when he took us over we’d be a lot closer now and still in a competitive title race!

Who is this magical mystery manager you want to bring in who has consistently beaten Pep?
  40. Dec 16, 2017

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Darmian - even though he's one of few who can play both LB and RB, he is well and truly out of the picture.
    Mkhitaryan will only go if Ozil is brought in in January.
    Fellaini will leave on a free at the end of the season.