Jose Mourinho ready to sign new £65m five-year deal at Old Trafford

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by carlosp, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:21.

1. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:40

Santoryo ripping the reward

Agreed
  2. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:44

NinjaFletch Full Member

I just think there's a huge amount of recency bias in the reactions to this thread. We spent a lot of last season being incredibly frustrating, and had we started this season in different form then it would be seen in a different light. The off season between Van Gaals two season was filled with positivity, lest we forget. We'd finished strongly, played decent stuff even at times, and we'd just had 'our best summer ever' in the transfer window according to one thread that was started on here and received mostly positive responses.

Then the season started, we played some turgid football, but topped the league for the first time since Ferguson had retired, and then it all went to shit. The players we'd signed were shit, the football was shit, Van Gaal was shit, and his first season (which we spent a large portion of time being shit during as well) was remembered for the shit and not for the fleeting moments of good that had lead to the positivity in the first place.

I'm not disputing that Mourinho had good moments last season. He certainly had more of them than Van Gaal did, and I agree that he has been better. I also think we were 'frustrating' rather than 'bad' in the league; we drew games we should have won, we played good football for large periods of time, we looked stable and like we were a team. But there was plenty of bad moments too, and the league campaign (whatever the excuse for it) ended up being pretty dire. The simple fact is that pre-Moyes Manchester United finishing 6th with a Carling Cup and a Europa League trophy would be a crisis not a cause for celebration. Do I think Mourinho will build on that and continue to improve us? Yes, of course, otherwise I wouldn't think he was the right man for the job. Do I think we should wait until he's done it until we laud him as a success? Also yes.

Does that make me pessimistic? Maybe, but there's not been a lot to be optimistic about when it comes to United managers post Fergie.
  3. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:44

podurban2 Full Member

I’d choose a hotel too if I was in another country by myself in my 50’s, it’s probably very convenient for him with the service it provides.
  4. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:46

Rusholme Ruffian Full Member

Jeez, I'm not even going to bother with that...but if you are 'Pro Mourinho' then I'd hate to see some who is anti him! :lol:
  5. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:47

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

6. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:53

Seveneric Full Member

I don't understand what's there to get excited about so early that makes him deserving of a contract barely into his 2nd year.

Nothing wrong with waiting until after this season or mid next season.
  7. Oct 12, 2017 at 16:55

NinjaFletch Full Member

My basic point is that people construct narratives to fit their views. At the minute Mourinho's narrative focuses on the successes of last seasons and downplays the failures. That's also a narrative that I agree with.

If we lose to Liverpool this weekend and then go on to have a difficult few months people will flip. Their narrative will focus on the failure of last season and downplay the successes.

What I'm getting that is there is evidence there to support both viewpoints and it's simply too early to say that Mourinho has been unequivocally a success, and, until we have more evidence, I don't think we should be rewarding him with a new contract.
  8. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:01

Ikon Full Member

^^This^^

I always wanted Jose to take over from SAF, and eventually we got him.
    Long term, who would bet against Mourinho from claiming the biggest prizes available with the assets available to him at United.

GREAT NEWS IN MY OPINION..!!
  9. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:05

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

Supports:
    United
    I think he will be here for 7-8 years or more and isn't going to start looking elsewhere. I don't mind tying him down now or waiting until the end of the season.
  10. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:05

Snowjoe Enjoys hatching eggs for people

Yeah man I reckon I’d do it too, not like he’s staying in a travel lodge room!
  11. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:26

MadMike Full Member

I reckon giving any manager a 5-6 year contract is just assuming risk for no reason. Unless you're telling me he's refusing to sign a 3 year contract and is explicitly asking for a longer term deal, which I doubt. I mean in the end of the day managers are not tradeable assets like players and if he wants to leave he will.

I'm happy with discussions opening on a new contract, because he's definitely improved us since joining but I do feel it's kinda early. This season is very pivotal and while the early signs are very positive, it's by no means forgone conclusion that we'll be challenging for the title come April-May. If the team stays within its targets in the next 5 months, then by all means go for it.
  12. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:41

AXVnee7 Full Member

I don't think there needs to be any clamouring to get Mourinho a new contract. Mourinho at Man Utd is the best situation for both parties, and I genuinely don't see Mourinho being difficult with negotiations, finances aside. The guy wants to be here and he wants to build a dynasty at this club - something he's never achieved in his career. At the same time the sooner we tie him down to a long term contract, the sooner we can just simply get the whole business done and dusted. I don't think Mourinho actively worries about a new contract, but signing him on will quash the paper talk.

I would opt for a 5-6 year contract because it's a show of faith. Even Mourinho needs a confidence booster. If you want to look at it empirically then the signs are that he's the right man for a long term project anyway.
  13. Oct 12, 2017 at 17:44

Regulus Arcturus Black Full Member

Better for the squad, club, future players & long term planning if we tie him down to five years.

The problems a lot of you have with this don’t exist in real life, both he and the club can choose to not honour the length of the contract. It’s more a “best case scenario” insurance and reward to an excellent start to his United career.
  14. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:04

I'm not particularly arsed about giving him a huge new contract at this exact time - although given that the article is in The Sun then there's nothing to say that that is what is happening anyway, it may be that both parties have indicated that they are open to extending his deal and the story has been extrapolated from that.

I do take issue with the notion that Mourinho has underachieved in some way though - given the state of the club when he took over, the make-up of the squad, and the complete stylistic overhaul that was required I think he's done as well as could be reasonably expected, and so far this season we have been excellent. I just hope that, god forbid, if we lose on Saturday that the prophets of doom lay off for a little while and remember that even under Fergie we often used to lose at Anfield. They won't of course, but hopefully it won't come to that anyway.
  15. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:07

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Manchester United is in the safe hands of Jose. Give him the players he wants and the third season syndrome will be proved a myth.
  16. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:10

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    Damn predictive text!
  17. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:13

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    I agree with this, based on nothing only a feeling and realistically who's going to hire him if he repeatedly proves he can only last 3 years in any given job. I think he's here to stay. That was also a big part of our problem, the fact that underperforming players knew they could stop playing for the manager and then the manager would get the sack before they were sold or dealt with in any meaningful way. I don't see that happening here again anytime soon. Touch wood.
  18. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:14

3KDré Full Member

I would have waited till the end of the year.
  19. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:44

clarkydaz Full Member

wonder what Moyes thinks of this :lol:
  20. Oct 12, 2017 at 18:46

Pogbasky New Member

Great news. I think his "issues" with staying at a team long term are overstated. He left Porto for greener pastures. He was fired by Roman the first time around even when all the senior players wanted him to stay (the same players were instrumental in him coming back to Chelski). He left Inter again for greener pastures. While things blew up in Madrid, let's not forget that managers never last for long at Madrid anyway, and can anyone really blame him for wanting to control the dressing room? The Madrid issue had more to do with the wrong cultural fit. Mourinho is like Sir Alex, he needs total control but he was never getting that there. Pep or Sir Alex or Wenger would have suffered the same fate too. The only really dodgy tenure that he had was the second Chelsea tenure.

A club like United, one where he is given total control and one whose tradition and culture are based on big personality managers who command total control, is the ideal club for him.
  21. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:22

DFreshKing Full Member

Fantastic news. He is as close to SAF as we are ever likely to get and a pure winner.
  22. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:31

ayushreddevil9 Full Member

Exactly, he has assembled his team, while retaining the players who are used to punch above their weight from the SAF era. Young, Valencia, Jones are nothing special but they give their all and would never down tools. Add to that he has signed 7 first team players who are also good personalities. He insisted that in the preseason that they scout the nature of the player as well. If things go well this season, its hard to imagine a meltdown next season.
  23. Oct 12, 2017 at 19:49

LennonNL nipple flasher

But still, I thought I read once Fergie - who essentially made United what they are today - was on about £4m a year. That's a third of what Mourinho is on pre-tax.
  24. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:08

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

I'm still a bit cautious about this. Jose's now at his 7th club and has yet to show that he's willing and able to plan for the long term. We've played really well so far this season, but he's been allowed to spend an absolute fortune and we're yet to face a real test. The signs are all good, but I think in 6 months it'll be clearer whether or not he really is our future. I hope he is.
  25. Oct 12, 2017 at 20:08

Random Task Full Member

After wading through the shite at lesser clubs such as Real, Chelsea, Inter and Porto, Jose Mourinho has finally found his home right here at United. Great news for everyone associated with the club.
  26. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:02

Morpheus 7 Full Member

It makes sense, he's a top manager and is taking us in the right direction. He's won us two trophies so far and we are setup well going forward. Just like anybody, the man deserves job security and has proven he can handle the pressure. It can only help in the long term planning. It can only give confidence to him, his backroom staff and to players in the club and future ones. He may eventually get his family moved up to Manchester, getting a property of his own ect. This is not a Moyes type situation, Jose is a winner and improving us. I'm happy with how we are progressing under Jose, my only worry is him giving a proper chance to younger players. Players like Tuanzabe, TFM and Pereira. We'll have to wait and see I suppose before casting judgement on the youth. United need to get back to winning ways and he's going with proven players for now. Maybe when more stability comes, we'll see more trust. He's half way through his contract and it's inevitable talks would get under way.
  27. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:39

GM K Full Member

Good points but there are other angles to contracts. Giving (or not giving) new contracts have psychological implications for players, managers and teams.

It's one thing to feel secure about your job and it's a different thing to be unsure if you will remain. It's one thing for players to be sure a manager will be around for a while, it is another thing for them to be unsure.

It also plays out in transfer negotiations. Some players will move to another team just for the prospect of playing for the other team's manager. If the manager's contract shows he can be around for a long time, the player feels more encouraged to sign unlike in the scenario when the manager's job is hanging.

New contracts also boost confidence because they mean, "We like what you are doing. We still want you here." Every player and manager likes this.

If the right clauses are added into a new contract, I don't think there is anything to worry about giving Jose a new contract now.
  28. Oct 12, 2017 at 21:59

2 Man Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

In what way are Madrid a lesser club?
  29. Oct 12, 2017 at 22:39

Baby Groot New Member

That are about 4 previous and current European Cup/Champions league winners. But if you look behind the scene there is lot to desired regarding these clubs.
  30. Oct 13, 2017 at 00:56

RedPnutz Full Member

Great news. When you have a good manager like Mourinho, one of the best in fact, you try to keep him as Long as possible. Fannying about just smacks of a lack of confidence in him. This projects stability and gives both players and manager and staff a platform to build on for the longer term. People nowadays just want quick fixes and chop and change at the drop of a hat, seriously underestimating the power of a Long term stable view.

United are not mugs, there will be clauses in the contract that allow us to terminate, for sure. And who cares if no other clubs do it these days? We do what we think is best.
  31. Oct 13, 2017 at 00:58

Flytan New Member

I hate long term contracts for managers but I think it's a must since any other club in the world would give him a look if things turned sour between him and the board here. Well besides Arsenal and Barca
  32. Oct 13, 2017 at 01:43

Cantonagotmehere Full Member

Right on
  33. Oct 13, 2017 at 02:26

Paz Anthony Martial slept with my girlfriend

He was made for us, the feeling of joy after years of me banging on about how perfect he would be for us, is so sweet. :drool:
  34. Oct 13, 2017 at 04:42

MZX7 @Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Probably wants to stay away from his wife for as long as possible.
  35. Oct 13, 2017 at 05:50

VancouverUtdFan Full Member

Supports:
    Canucks + NE Patriots
    Yes please :)
  36. Oct 13, 2017 at 09:14

Nate Dogg Don't Make Me Angry

If Moyes can be given a 6 year contract then i see no issue with Mourinho been given a 5 year contract.

He is perfect for United and is the right person to get us on the trophy trail.
  37. Oct 13, 2017 at 10:00

andycolegangstainnit Full Member

If this story has anything to do with Neil Custis then I'm taking it with a big pinch of salt. I was ecstatic when we got Jose and, with hindsight, we'd have probably had 21 or more if he'd have joined instead of Moyes, but it's very early days in the season. We started incredibly well last season but it fizzled out although we did go on an unbeaten six month run in the Prem which seems to have been forgotten about. That said, things are looking a lot better. Matic is providing some solidity and Lukaku is a one-man strike force (the difference between him and Rooney in the recent Everton game was massive). The team is settled. Rashers & Martial rotating likewise at LB. That is a big difference from last season when personnel and formations were all over the place. I'm confident we can get deep into te UCL and have a good run at the Prem. If we do then come April/May then it's time to nail Jose down, not yet.
  38. Oct 13, 2017 at 11:01

wolvored Full Member

They could of offered another 2 year contract to run immediately after his 3 year, provided were still in the hunt for 1st place at the end of the current contract. This would of kept him focussed knowing if successful then no problems with having to negotiate a contract in the last year. As others mentioned the 3 year meltdown hopefully won't happen
  39. Oct 13, 2017 at 11:14

Or might have made him feel completely undervalued.

If I read any more about this fecking '3 year meltdown' I'm going to go insane! He didn't have a 3 year meltdown at Porto, or at Inter. At both Chelsea and Madrid he fell foul of the internal politics that mean that no manager ever stays there beyond 3 years. The only job where anything concerning happened was his latest Chelsea stay, but I think he wanted out of there to join us anyway. It's lazy bullshit to keep on with this 3 years stuff - where would he go from here anyway?!
  40. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:24

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

To be fair he wasn't even at Inter in his first season so of course he did not have a meltdown. His first spell at Chelsea they were actually very good and only marginally lost a title to an excellent United team that were flying. During his second spell at Chelsea and at Real Madrid he fell out with the players, while he definitely is partially to blame, you cannot really overlook the fact that he had some difficult characters to work with.