1. United Hour Podcast: The First Wobble
    Dismiss Notice

Jose Mourinho vs Sir Alex Ferguson

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Giggsyking, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine yesterday who is a huge man utd fan. But he struck me with his opinion when he said JM is tactically a better manager than Sir Alex. Until yesterday I never imagined meeting a united fan who could say that JM is better than SAF. But his reasoning was that every time JM and SAF met Mourinho had the upper hand tactically. As long as I remember except Mourinho's first spell at Chelsea SAF had the upper hand when they met (Man UTD vs Intermilan and Man UTD vs Real Madrid), I wonder if there is united fans here who agree with my friend and actually thinks JM is a better manager than our legendary SAF.
    After all my opinion was even if JM had the upper hand in few matches against SAF but in general SAF is one of a kind complete package manager that we will never live again.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Aug 5, 2018

altodevil Just another Duffy

:lol:
  3. Aug 5, 2018

ZlatMan Banned

Ask him to seek help :lol:
  4. Aug 5, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Time for the season to start.
  5. Aug 5, 2018

Rajma Full Member

Jose only had an upper hand when he had all the money in the world, while saf had to put up with utter shite like Djemba, etc.
  6. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

I told him that, he said face to face JM has won more games :D
  7. Aug 5, 2018

ZlatMan Banned

He's a lost cause. Poor lad
  8. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

:lol: agree
  9. Aug 5, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

10. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

To be honest he said tactically not overall. Should correct that. but even tactically I think SAF had the upper hand
  11. Aug 5, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Very good thread, nothing can go wrong here.

Also, he isn't.
  12. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

wait maybe someone will come and think that JM is better tactically than SAF.
  13. Aug 5, 2018

PepsiCola Full Member

Mourinho at Chelsea was helped by being bankrolled to the league.

We outclassed Inter.

We would have outdone Madrid had it not been for the referee.
  14. Aug 5, 2018

klsv Full Member

I agree that Jose is better when we take the overalls into account, as seen below

I don't remember Sir Alex wearing them
    [​IMG]
  15. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

16. Aug 5, 2018

Greck Full Member

Tactically better? Maybe defensively. In attack it isn't even a contest. Where SAF pulls away are the other aspects like man management, team building and player acquisition, leadership. Feel silly for even making a serious post on this topic. Maybe a laughing emoji would have sufficed
  17. Aug 5, 2018

Trophy Room Full Member

I think there have been many managers over the course of SAF's tenure including Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez and Guardiola (in the champions league) who have clearly had the upper hand in periods and probably even played much better football. I think the quality that sets SAF apart from the others is his ability to be able to regenerate title winning teams in different eras. Longevity, adaptibility and a progressive mindset are qualities that I would find difficult to attribute to the other guys. This is without acknowledging almost universal respect of his work among his past players.
  18. Aug 5, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Ignoring the bit about Mourinho being a better manager than SAF.

But Mourinho was a shock to English football. And I can't recall being as unnerved by an opposition manager bringing his teams to OT as much as I was with Mourinho. I trusted SAF against any other manager, but Mourinho seemed to know how to get at him and us. It always felt as if we were playing Mourinho and not his team, such were his mind games - something even SAF was wary of.

It's probably why Mourinho was regarded by many as a natural successor. He used to come to OT and play the pantomine villain and our fans lapped it up. He enjoyed a far healthier relationship with our supporters than the likes of Wenger and Benitez.
  19. Aug 5, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Age wise Jose would have the edge, but SAF has the height and reach advantage. If it went a few rounds then obviously Jose has the advantage stamina wise but early on Fergie has the edge and could put Mourinho to sleep with those nasty elbows.
  20. Aug 5, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

The lack of football sends fans insane. The sheer number of ridiculous threads on the caf lately is proof of that.

Can't wait to batter the ever-loving shite out of Leicester next week.
  21. Aug 5, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

Fergie will have to watch out for the nasty Mourinho tactics like fingers in eyeballs etc.
  22. Aug 5, 2018

AaronRedDevil New Member

The Man won 49 titles. Only Pep is a threat to that. Mou is after falling off the ladder into a pit of chaos. Mourinho has won of six of their 14 meetings; Ferguson just two (or three if you count the one on penalties). Yes SAF lost a most matches against mou, but that's only because Chelsea had billionaire backup, while Manchester United billionaires where penny pinching in the SAF era because he was somehow always winning trophies.
  23. Aug 5, 2018

abdo99 Full Member

Jose can only dream of having the influence and man management of SAF. We did lose games to his Chelsea team but once Fergie adapted we won 3 leagues in a row and conquered Europe. There's no debate here. young Rooney and Ronaldo would never have made it at United if Mourinho was our manager back then. Just like SAF would love to work with Rashford and Martial.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  24. Aug 5, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Not even close.

Sir Alex is the greatest.
  25. Aug 5, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

Tactics werent SAF's biggest strength, but I cant remember too many times where the opposition manager in regular premier league games often had a better team setup and strategy than we have like under Mourinho.
  26. Aug 5, 2018

Theon Full Member

What Fergie achieved is looking better and better with each passing year. Managed to draw out every bit of success from the talent in the squad. Greatest ever.
  27. Aug 5, 2018

Anustart89 Full Member

"I think that Mourinho is tactically better than Fergie, so I'll test the waters and claim it's my friend with the opinion just to see how many people agree with me"
  28. Aug 5, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

I'd argue Sir Alex is a level above Jose and Pep. It's not just about the number of titles He won or tactics, it's his longevity of creating teams that are capable of winning titles year after year for not only 4 or 5 years but 26 years in the same club. He was also not a manager who bought himself into the titles, He actually built his teams - youth players, world class players, average players are played for him and They managed to contribute to the team. There's no comparison, it was never easy for Sir Alex (both Pep and Mourinho had it easier in my opinion) but He made it look so easy.
  29. Aug 5, 2018

the hea Full Member

Tactically I'd say they are close but in every other department SAF is far and beyond the superior manager.
  30. Aug 5, 2018

Tarrou Full Member

Mourinho has an incredible CV too, and tactically he's been an astute manager over the years.

In almost every other category I'd pick SAF over Jose - and definitely think he's the better overall manager. But in tactics, I'd put them fairly close and don't see what is that crazy about claiming Jose was better either.
  31. Aug 5, 2018

L1nk Full Member

This is like saying Nadal is better than Federer just because Nadal has a bit of a higher win rate against Federer on his preferred surface. Both will go down as greats but only one will go down as the best, and that's Federer/Ferguson
  32. Aug 5, 2018

andyjgt1 Banned

Supports:
    Man City
    I don't know if Mourinho is, but Ancelotti was, head to head anyway. Had SAF played Nani and Rafael rather than Scholes (preferring Giggs centrally to him because Scholes started midweek at Bayern and Giggs didn't, assuming Carrick was left out again) and especially Neville v Chelsea on 3 April 2010, Utd would have won, and won the title. SAF compounded the problem by starting a Scholes-Giggs central two at Blackburn the next week with Rooney out (Neville started again too).

SAF would always play an old Scholes in a 2 at Anfield too.

(Of course it goes without saying that SAF was the much better manager overall than any of Mourinho, Ancelotti and Benitez.)
  33. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

Well maybe you don't know me, but its easy to look back at my old posts to figure out that I don't even like Mourinho and want him gone today. So your post is pointless. It is as simple as that. I as a man utd fan for over 30 years SAF to me is the best I've ever seen.
  34. Aug 5, 2018

stevoc Full Member

Fergie is from Glasgow he knows all about dirty fighting.
  35. Aug 5, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I don't think it's as ridiculous as some here are making out. There's more to being a great manager than getting your tactics right, however, and Fergie was a god compared to anyone else managing during his ling career.
  36. Aug 5, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

I think I actually agree with your friend... Jose, in my opinion is probably better than Sir Alex in terms of pure tactical coaching etc..

Sir Alex is unquestionably the better man manager and pretty much everything that goes with that.
  37. Aug 5, 2018

evil_geko Full Member

It's nothing new saying SAF wasn't tactically the best, there were tons of threads and ppl agreeing on it when SAF was still manager, that's why he always had really good tacticians assistants by his side, he was miles above other managers at everything else though.
    It is just that as time goes on people are overrating some aspects of the man because of his legendary status, nothing new, it is being done with past players all the time.
  38. Aug 5, 2018

FrantikChicken Full Member

My thoughts as well. There's nothing wrong with thinking Mourinho is a top tactician, because he really is. Was Sir Alex a better overall manager? Of course, that's why nobody has come even close to replicating his career.

I also think people on here are very quick to forget the constant moaning we would have about Sir Alex's tactics on this forum. His teams were definitely not always playing beautiful attacking football, and a lot of our wins came to be because of his skills in other aspects of management, rather than simply being a better tactician than his opponents.
  39. Aug 5, 2018

siw2007 Full Member

Mourinho might have been regarded as the better manager 10 or so years ago. He was the perfect manager at the perfect time at the perfect club (Chelsea). But where Ferguson succeeded was his ability to evolve over the course of his career, though his commitment to attacking football remained the same, he changed his man management and evolved our style of play over a number of years in order to stay at the cutting edge of the game.

Mourinho must now prove he can be the same. Managers like Capello, Van Gaal and Wenger all had their day in the sun, but were ultimately found out in the latter years of their careers. Jose is perhaps looking like he is going the same way.

Jose won’t be considered as good as Fergie unless he shows he can adapt to the modern game.
  40. Aug 5, 2018

Giggsyking Full Member

So you like Nadal more :D
    Going head to head, except the first two years when JM had so much backing from Chelsea owners (despite Chelsea finishing 2nd and utd 3rd the year JM came to England) Mourinho did not have the upper hand tactically head to head against SAF, I mean interminlan and Real Madrid UCL games you can see SAF's superiority, maybe not by a big margin but to me we were better.