Jose Mourinho warns United in for difficult season if unable to add to squad

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ranchero, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018

Ranchero Full Member

So those who think Mourinho is too negative will be having a field day today.

MoJo has said he fears we are in for a "difficult season" if unable to strengthen before the Thursday transfer deadline.

We have made only one major signing in Fred from Shakhtar.

But, speaking before Sunday's friendly defeat against Bayern Munich, Mourinho he said he fears falling behind the rest of the top six if he is ultimately unable to add to his squad.

[​IMG]

"He knows what I want, I know that he tries to do the best for me and I still have a few days to wait what is going to happen," he said.

"The other clubs who compete with us are really strong and have fantastic squads, like Chelsea, Tottenham or Manchester City, or they are investing massively like Liverpool, that are buying everything and everybody.

"And if we don't make our team better it will be a difficult season for us."

[​IMG]

Now if the one signing is a defender, I hardly think that after our feeble park-the-bus showing in the Bayern friendly, that that is going to make any difference.

United created little. And JoMo really didn't seem to care.

After the match, MoJo said it was a “fantastic experience” for his young side, adding: “Finally, it’s over. Finally, such a difficult pre-season is over. The players were, once more, brilliant. They could not have done better than what they did.”
  2. Aug 6, 2018

ThaReaper01 Full Member

Him not caring very much and his post match comments strike me as interesting. I got the feeling after the SJ game that he knew what kind of preseason it’d be because of the lack of playing time for the kids. He knew United were playing dire shit, knew it would be the same throughout preseason and didn’t want to expose the youngsters to it. Rather have them train with the first team and get that experience than playing turgid shit.

I could be totally wrong, obviously, but he could very well have a plan for this team. We shall see.
  3. Aug 6, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

We were 19 points behind City last season, so it's obvious we need to improve the squad and Fred is not going to help us achieve 19 extra points compared to last season. Why we can't get more players I don't know, either Jose wants players who would not realistically want to join, or the board can't/won't/don't want to pay what the clubs and more likely the players and they're agents, are asking for. Either way, the squad has not improved drastically.

However, having just watch the MSL game of NY Red Bulls vs LAFC on SkySports1, a league which is supposedly vastly inferior to our own, even those two teams seemed to play with more cohesion, attacking intent, and tactical awareness then I've seen Utd play in the last few months.
  4. Aug 6, 2018

Greck Full Member

Saw these comments. Hopefully this is the last he speaks of Liverpool's spending because he sounds like a jealous sibling the way he keeps bringing up how much more someone else got. We've had our spending sprees in previous summers while others could only watch in envy.
  5. Aug 6, 2018

trafford1980 Full Member

He's not dropped any real groundbreaking news here.

Most of us feel that we'll be in for a difficult season, regardless of what happens in the next few days.

City are City, Liverpool are purring, Chelsea add Jorginho and sprinkle Sarri-dust on a bunch of under-performing players, Arsenal finally get rid of Wenger ( Jose will be gutted about this) and Spurs have kept well.

He's just being realistic, whilst also putting not-too-subtle pressure on Ed to get to work.

However, if we do end up signing a couple more players and our Summer outlay exceeds every other team in the league then he's backed himself into a deliver-the-title corner.
  6. Aug 6, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Even if we sign two very good players we won't be favorites for the title.
  7. Aug 6, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Who's fault is it that we're prioritizing a center back despite having one of the best defensive records since Van Gaal came in (not that our CBs are great, but there are far worse), and when we dont have a single adequate right winger and our attacking record (and performances) are woeful.

He is probably frustrated that the board isnt spending more, and I agree. But the rest are frustrated at this inability/refusal to coach entertaining football.
  8. Aug 6, 2018

trafford1980 Full Member

I agree with you, and so would the bookies, but the media and the wider public won't. We were trashed about finishing second last year. If we outspend everyone else this Summer you can be sure that anything less than the title will have the journos rock-hard and beaming from ear-to-ear. Rightly or wrongly.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  9. Aug 6, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

Yeah, but you can't live off what you did in the past in football, squad has to constantly evolve, as players only got older. Pretty obvious we have areas we still need to address. City still trying to get players after a massive overhaul of their squad should tell you everything. Improve or stagnate and deteriorate in this game...
  10. Aug 6, 2018

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Everytime I read something on Pogba it is that his agent is working on a move to Barcelona.

So we may not just be adding players but actually losing one or two?

Lets hope this is just speculation.
  11. Aug 6, 2018

stevoc Full Member

I don't think it's a case of Mourinho asking for a winger and a centreback and Woodward taking it upon himself to chase options for one of those positions and not the other. Woodward has never seemed shy of spending money or getting or trying to get the manager what he wants.

I think if you had asked United fans at the end of last season what positions needed strengthening most and least, the majority would have said RW/RB/LB or a combination of those positions are needed most. And i reckon the vast majority would have said CB is the lowest priority, but someone at the club feels differently it seems.
  12. Aug 6, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Oh, christ. Not the return of JoMo.

We're not going to sell Pogba this summer. No time to bring in a replacement and there's plenty of time left on his contract so no pressure on us to sell.
  13. Aug 6, 2018

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Jose wants Bale at any cost.
  14. Aug 6, 2018

simonhch Horrible boss

Supports:
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    This fecking cockwomble has the gall to complain about a lack of signings and the inability to compete, when he has spent 411 million on players since he joined the club. Four hundred and eleven million. And picked Alexis up in a swap.

How much fecking money does this man need before he decides to do some actual coaching?

I am so tired of him and his excuses. He’s already covering his arse before the season starts. This season is going to be fecking tragic. Even the manager is saying it. He’s out of ideas. A busted flush. fecking shambles of a manager. The complete antithesis of what Manchester United is all about.

Lord I want us to succeed this season, and I would be delighted to eat my words at the end of a glorious season. But the only reason I am so vehemently opposed to his ongoing employment is because I don’t see how this man can possible take this club forwards, and I am hugely fearful of the damage he is going to cause. Frankly every day is a countdown until he leaves.

Fans of his previous clubs warned us, but we were too arrogant to listen.
  15. Aug 6, 2018

Greck Full Member

Agree we should continue investing. It's the bringing up how much others are spending that's often unnecessary. We've still outspent Liverpool especially
  16. Aug 6, 2018

Greck Full Member

Who? Sounds like a circus elephant
  17. Aug 6, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

When Mourinho became our manager there was an epidemic of posters calling him JoMo. Ended up so bad that we put a filter in. Has been removed now but the OP is one of the ones who still uses it.
  18. Aug 6, 2018

LeftyBlaster Full Member

Amen brother. We have one of the best squads in the league after City and the shit we serve up is astounding. It’s a failure of coaching and not a failure to spend.
  19. Aug 6, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Do you not think part of our negative football is to protect that back line?

Jose will never set his team's up to win 4-3 granted, but every single side he's ever managed has played better football than we currently are
  20. Aug 6, 2018

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I agree with him, our squad quality is poor. We have some really good players who pick up the slack for the rest, but that won't win you the league like it would a few years ago.
    City's team has very few weaknesses or players they carry, we still have too many that linger from previous managers just yet.
    We'll still probably challenge because Mourinho is a very good manager who gets results over a full season.
  21. Aug 6, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

He often sprouts none sense but I actually agree with him here. He is clearly putting pressure on Woodward to get shit done. Be happy the man has ambition at least.
  22. Aug 6, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Be happy the manager of Manchester United wants to win. That's not a reason to be happy , that's a prerequisite for the job.

I understand him wanting a signing or two. I don't understand us serving up shit football without them.
  23. Aug 6, 2018

edcunited1878 Full Member

He's being honest, brutally honest and to many it comes as a shock i.e. negative.

It's always going to be difficult, it's the Premier League. Quality managers, quality players and squads, etc. Even for Jose, he's got a new coaching staff around him so he's going to learn along with them as well.

We have to accept that the standard of quality in the first XI is not there yet and teams around and above United (i.e. City and Liverpool) have done good business to sustain or improve their first XI and squad.

While many believe Jose should be able to extract more quality out of the squad going into the 3rd season (i.e. score more and perform better throughout a season), the fact that United have to grind out results much more compared to past years should indicate the fact that the starting XI quality and consistency isn't there at the moment.

If Pogba remains healthy and continues to improve, Sanchez settles and improves, Rashford improves, Lukaku sustains or improves, then United will exceed 80 points again. But it may not be pretty, but considering the quality and intensity the league has, that's okay I believe.
  24. Aug 6, 2018

El-Manos Full Member

I don’t disagree with you. Our attacking play is atrocious and although signing a RW would obviously help, it won’t solve all our problems. It would however be a step in the right direction.
  25. Aug 6, 2018

Kag Full Member

Well said.
  26. Aug 6, 2018

BlueHaze New Member

The more days that are passning with him as our manager, the more irritated I am getting. He's making it sound as if our squad is Carlisle United. There are definitely areas that need to be adressed but our squad isn't that bad. I have no clue if he is trying to put pressure on the board and Woodward with this comment but I am getting sick of his whining. I can't see him being here next season and if we start out the season bad then I can honestly see him getting sacked mid season. Just imagine with this shite transfer window combined with Jose's constant moaning we draw or lose against Leicster on friday, there would be a total shitstorm incoming.
  27. Aug 6, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Exactly.

There are no excuses for Jose this season.
  28. Aug 6, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

To be honest, he sounds pretty upbeat but realistic in the post match interview:
  29. Aug 6, 2018

RuudRuud New Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    Of course he won't get much, which attacking or creative players wants to play defense at United?
  30. Aug 6, 2018

Mr PG New Member

Our squad has been poorly put together starting with the last Fergie years.

Berbatov, Bebe, Obertan etc as well as letting Kroos, Thiago etc get away when they reportedly were willing to come.

Add to the fact that we have lots of kids apprenticing in the deep end and you can see why Jose is frustrated.
  31. Aug 6, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

The last 2-3 weeks, with what he has said, demanding transfers, bashing the quality of the squad, pressuring the board for transfers, is starting to look increasingly more similar to his last season at Chelsea.
    Now if we had a female physio then.....
  32. Aug 6, 2018

steffyr2 Full Member

How many points should we get this year? I predict 85.

...which is an excellent number, but what will the other teams in the PL get?
  33. Aug 6, 2018

oz insomniac New Member

So you don't think that we need strengthening to compete against Citeh etc

Your dislike of JM exceeds your support of the club and its needs. Perhaps if Woody would attend to getting better players in and actually do his job , JH wouldn't be pressuring him. When the person tasked with signings first priority is the owners pockets,we end up looking clueless at times . Hopefully he will panic like he did when LVG was here, and actions occur in the next few days.

I consider I am a realist and look at th side and understand it's not good enough, thats a simple reality to be honest
  34. Aug 6, 2018

theriddler Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    I think he's downplaying expectations - could work well in a way. The general consensus in the media seems to be that United will implode. I doubt this happens. The squad has a lot of talent. Yes there are weaknesses, but every team barring City have weaknesses. Liverpool still will play Henderson, still have no depth at LB (Moreno is useless), and there's also Lovren.

What I find puzzling about Mourinho is that he's kind of ignoring the fact that he's got to spend a huge amount of money already. He's complained about Liverpool's spending...however overall since he's joined United, Mourinho and Klopp's spending is neck and neck. Jose may still get in a big money CB, while Klopp looks to be done. The players United have brought in are on far higher wages too.

How can he complain about a lack of spending? His spending at United will be over 450 million in 3 years after this summer. If that's not being backed, I don't know what is.

Its like he's turning into the Donald Trump of football managers. I have nothing but immense respect for his track record, but he really looks like a guy who needs a financial cheat code to win at this point. Right now he's basically saying he can't compete with Liverpool cause...they have spent just as much as he has? How does that make any sense?
  35. Aug 6, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

[90, 105] = City
    [80,89] = Liverpool, Chelsea
    [70, 79] = Tottenham, Us, Arsenal
  36. Aug 6, 2018

There are always excuses for him.

No proper title challenge in 3 years simply wouldn't be good enough. But personally, my concern is whether we will finally see cohesive, sexy football again at United that befits a club of this size.
  37. Aug 6, 2018

Funnily enough, when we got Sanchez everyone felt that was the missing piece of the puzzle as far as our weakness i.e attack went. He would slot in on the right with Martial performing superbly on the left and Lukuku starting to become a proper main strikera at United. But here we are again, Sanchez has replaced Martial and we still need that one right sided attacker to save us.

I do think the Sanchez signing needs to be accounted for. People forget about that one because it happened in January.
  38. Aug 6, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

If we spend more this season, without selling anyone, it will limit the amount we can spend next season even more.
    Blaming anything regarding this club on one man, or the squad alone, or the CEO etc is simplyfing it.
    "i am a realist": projecting your subjective and simplistic views is not helping in having a civil discussion on whose to blame.
    I am not saying that you need to have quantified data over a 10 years period and 500 matches as a samplespace for being able to state your opinion on a topic, but please use argumentation that has at least some hint of merit, and is not based solely on the phrase;
  39. Aug 6, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

Correct.
  40. Aug 6, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

I'd be quite delighted with 85. But does the current state of affairs really tell you that we'll approach that number?