1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Jose Mourinho's press conference - Crystal Palace (A)

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

HOW THE SNOW HAS AFFECTED PREPARATIONS
    “Yesterday, [we trained] indoor and today, outside but [it has been] difficult. We tried, we worked. The atmosphere is positive and we can't complain because it's over. So, for the rest of the day, they [the players] can be at home.”

SCOTLAND OR ENGLAND FOR MCTOMINAY?
    “My advice to him is not about national teams - it's not about that. My advice to him is to keep the way he is - very humble, very open to learn, intelligent and keep going in the same direction and the same profile, trying to fight to have minutes with Manchester United which is not easy. Then the national team will just be a consequence of his work at the club. But I can't confirm at all that both national teams [England and Scotland] have contacted him because I don't know.”

SCOTT IS STAYING GROUNDED
    “I think the people around him are the right people. I have never met them but I have to believe that the kid with his attitude towards the others and towards football, the parents must be really good people that pass to him the right values. The kid is keeping his feet on the ground and is very calm. I think he passed some important tests - not from the football point of view but more from the mental point of view, with his maturity, calm, playing against the champions and knockout football in the Champions League. Two tests by the mental approach. So, I think there is a long way to go, obviously, but his feet are very much on the ground, very stable and I just hope he can keep the same direction.”

WE WILL FIGHT FOR THE BEST POSSIBLE FINISH
    “First of all, the gap is a very short gap - six points between the second and the fifth teams is really short and really open for everybody. But all four are in the Champions League still, so we have other focuses and targets all of us. I have to say all of us are very good teams - in spite of some times the way I read, it looks like all the others are better than us. But I'm not so sure that is the reality. I would say four very good teams and one will be out of the Champions League. If you ask me second or fourth, I say by the financial point of view it doesn't make a difference, by the prestige point of view, it doesn't make a difference - you go to the Champions League and even the fourth team doesn't have to even play a last qualification match. But, from the personal point of view, second is better than third and third is better than fourth. So, we are going to try the best possible finish. Of course, the top four is very difficult and, at the moment, that's the main target for us. But, if you can finish third, we are not going to finish fourth. If you can finish second, we are not going to finish third.”

"For Zlatan, we all think it's his last season at Manchester United and it will be a very personal decision for him to play or to stop," said Mourinho. "I think he won the right of choosing his life and his future - he's such an amazing player with such an amazing career that only that awful injury in the wrong moment broke a fantastic couple of seasons that he could, and should, have with us.

"This season has been really difficult for him. Is he injured? No, he's not injured. Does he feel totally happy and totally ready and totally convinced that he's in [the] conditions to help the team in this moment? No.

"But he's such an honest guy and such a champion that he only wants to be back with that feeling of 'I'm totally ready for it'. He's working hard and, hopefully, his evolution brings him to that level that he wants to have a positive answer.

“He's still a young player, his injury had a little surgery, but a minor surgery, and he will be back to play again in a couple of weeks,” the manager told reporters, before estimating when the player could potentially return to the pitch. “If we proceed in the Champions League beyond Sevilla, I think he will be ready for a hypothetical quarter-final. He will be ready for a hypothetical FA Cup semi-final. He will be ready for the last couple of months of our Premier League fight.

On the subject of Marouane’s contract running out at the end of this season, and what is happening regarding the player’s future, Jose continued: “Is he going to stay or leave? I don't know. I don't know. I want him to stay, the club wants him to stay. The process, the negotiations, the numbers, the distances between the offer and what he wants - I really don't know how things are going.”

In a separate interview with MUTV, the boss confirmed he will be without three defenders for the Selhurst Park encounter.

"No Phil Jones, no Marcos Rojo, no Daley Blind," he said. "We don't have them. So the situation hasn't changed. The squad is the same."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ence-quotes-round-up-Friday-2-March-2018.aspx
  2. Mar 2, 2018

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

Embargoed bits on Sunday night, 10:30 pm.
  3. Mar 2, 2018

RedDevil@84 Full Member

Good for all parties. Zlatan wouldn't want to play if not 100% fit and with his age and injury, it doesnt seem to be happening
  4. Mar 2, 2018

ElectroManiac New Member

I hope Zlatan can be back at least by the end of the season. Hopefully we can advance on the Champion League and the FA Cup to later stage and he could play some role. Would love to see him on a Champion League final with us coming as a sub. That would be amazing.
  5. Mar 2, 2018

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Thanks for making this thread.

Despite the fact that most press conferences are a bit rubbish, people seem to be more interested in bitching than the press conference.
  6. Mar 2, 2018

pcaming Full Member

His hairstyle in this presser :lol:
  7. Mar 2, 2018

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

And he'd take whose place exactly? Lingard,Martial, Rashford? Or Mata perhaps? All players who are better qualified to get on if required
  8. Mar 2, 2018

arnoldS New Member

What's going on with blind? What kind of injury does he have?
  9. Mar 2, 2018

Better qualified at what precisely? Do we have, besides Lukaku and perhaps the still injured Fellaini, with the physical characteristics of Zlatan? Imagine we're in a final running against the clock, with the opponent completely closed in their area, let's put Mata in so he can head some ball.
  10. Mar 2, 2018

Rather him than a lumbering Zlatan who can barely be bothered to lift an arm to collect his pay packet.

A player like Mata has broken the deadlock on numerous occasions,not saying he's ideal but anyone coming on but Zlatan who shouldn't be anywhere near Old Trafford
  11. Mar 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Probably been wearing a hat out in the cold since he just came in from training :lol:
  12. Mar 2, 2018

I find it offensive and disrespectful to talk like that about a player who risked his career and injured himself playing for us, besides being our top scorer last season by an immense margin.
  13. Mar 2, 2018

Claudio Salinas Ruiz New Member

Zlatan is really important to the purposes of the club. I hope Zlatan and Blind come back soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
  14. Mar 2, 2018

Cool. He risks injury just as all sports players do, it's not dis respectful to call it as it is.

He shouldn't be allowed near the first team again unless we're winning 4-0 against a team like Swansea. The notion that he come on for a medal he scarcely deserves just because it's 'Zlatan,' is frankly absurd
  15. Mar 2, 2018

Of course, who would think a player with Zlatan's career, a serious professional and a great performer, would deserve a medal, just because he might be nearing the end of his capabilities as a footballer?
  16. Mar 2, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

What's the hostility towards Zlatan all about?
  17. Mar 2, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

Why does he want to keep Fellaini? I can't believe Jose and the club are begging this guy to sign a new contract. He is holding the club to ransom and to be honest we don't need him anymore. He was never the answer to our midfield problems and will never be. He isn't going to start and he isn't needed from the bench either especially with the emergence of McTominay. We are going to strengthen in midfield too so there is absolutely no place for Fellaini in the squad. I can't believe he's been here almost 5 years now. It's a bit embarrassing to be honest.
  18. Mar 2, 2018

You earn medals by playing consistently and well. He's hardly Carrick who's been a great servant to the club. he came here for a last payday;he got it. Now he's a has been and hasn't earned anything over the players in the first team squad.
  19. Mar 2, 2018

SirAF Ageist

I just noticed, the new MUTV presenter is really tedious!
  20. Mar 2, 2018

AshRK Full Member

This. The way our manager/s have made fellaini important is as if he is second coming of Zidane. The club should not beg to him. Just let him go and get a better player.
  21. Mar 2, 2018

haram Banned

Because he knows what he is doing.
  22. Mar 2, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

We are not begging him. We offered him what we think he's worth, and that's fair enough because he has been useful. He is demanding more and we aren't paying him that much, so really we are not being held to ransom. If we paid all that he asked, then that would be desperate.

The club understands he would be useful to have around, but if he demands too much, we are quite willing to let him go and get an upgrade. No begging at all.
  23. Mar 2, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

The reason why McTominay is being championed by JM, is because he's Fellaini's replacement but might actually be a genuine midfielder and not someone doing a job.
  24. Mar 2, 2018

It's also because it will become his get out of jail card for every time people accuse him of not playing youngsters.
  25. Mar 2, 2018

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

He didn't come here for a last payday. You think he won't get paid well at his next club?
  26. Mar 2, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

So he is playing McTominay because he doesn't want to be accused as the youth killer?

I think McTominay is being played because he is ready to make the step up, not because Mourinho cares about what some fans say about his youth policy.
  27. Mar 2, 2018

Not saying it's the main reason, but it's a factor. Unless you think Mourinho doesn't care about an issue that almost made him persona non grata at the club.
  28. Mar 2, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

JM might be playing McTominay because that's what the club required him to do (promote from the academy), but he most definitely does not play them because he fears accusations of being anti-youth.

This man does not care about being seen as the big baddie, in fact he embraces it. He'll park the bus on the way to a CL trophy if that's what he sees as his best chance of winning it. He is a very selfish and driven man, he'll do anything to win more trophies.
  29. Mar 2, 2018

That's what he wants you to think, but he cares about those issues, and tries to respond to them whenever possible. Evidently, if McTominay comes good, it's a major personal victory for him, specially since almost no one who followed the Academy was expecting it.
  30. Mar 2, 2018

Ban Full Member

How is he holding the club to ransom and how are we begging him exactly. We made an offer, he's not satisfied with it, if club and Fellaini don't meet up on the price that's that.
  31. Mar 3, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

It's not a factor.
    Mourinho didn't just start managing yesterday.
  32. Mar 3, 2018

Okey New Member

This. I agree with every word. Never really understood the wanting him to stay. Hardly the kind of player a top club would consider important to their objectives. And that's me being very polite.
  33. Mar 3, 2018

Nick7 Full Member

Because he likes him as a player. It's really really not difficult to understand.
  34. Mar 3, 2018

AgentP Full Member

The embargoed part is up?
  35. Mar 3, 2018

Ferguson Full Member

Zlatan came back too early from a serious injury. It takes time to come back to full strength. He doesn't deserve any criticism.

Mourinho has played Rashford more than any other player this season. That is his defense against not playing youth. McTominay is just icing on the cake.

At Chelsea, as we all know, the youth system is not about finding players for their first team. They have players stashed all over Europe in loan deals. It is ridiculous if you look at the numbers. Chelsea run their youth as an investment business, with no relation to providing players for their first team. At Real Madrid, as we all know, the club buys and buys and has no patience for youth development. The politics of the club is about galacticos not youth. At Inter Milan, I don't know, but my impression of Italy is that they tend to wait longer for youth to get into the first team. They like older players and older players have a longer career in Italy.

So it is hard to judge Mourinho's track record with youth at Chelsea, Real Madrid, and Inter Milan without saying that he was subject to the politics and culture of each club. At Manchester United he has a youth system designed to provide him with players. It is not about turning a profit on players. If a player isn't headed to the first team, then he can be sold. Mourinho has accepted the new club culture and tried to blood Demetri Mitchell, Timo Fosu-Mensah, and Andreas Perreira. He has played Rashford extensively and now McTominay. At United, the manager is the decision-maker, not Roman Abramovich's men, not Florentine Perez, so Mourinho has a free hand here to do what's best for the team.
  36. Mar 3, 2018

Grande Full Member

What’s eating you?
  37. Mar 3, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

He should play as long as he's fit. When on form, he can be deadly and with our sputtering performances in the final third, we can use all the help we can get.
  38. Mar 3, 2018

Dembeza New Member

How do you know this?
  39. Mar 3, 2018

Nikelesh Reddy Full Member

It's Interesting to see his over the top praise of Mctominay again.Normally Jose tends to be a bit conservative when it comes to praising individuals,even star players like De Gea and Pogba hardly get anything more than a pat on the back.But his over the top,wholesome praise of Mctominay is interesting...and with all due respect the lads done well so far but he's still got an awful lot to learn if he wants to be a regular United CM.

I think it's because Scott is a player that he has brought through,an English academy player who will go down in history as a protege of Mourinho if he manages to really make a mark.Jose never really "produced" a top class first team player from the academy when he was at Chelsea,so I guess Mctominay is more than just a player for him.Mctominay gives him an opportunity to prove his detractors wrong....
  40. Mar 3, 2018

LoneStar Full Member

He’s still 21, he has a long way to go. Could be a decent squad player for us.